Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

You don't know what you're talking about but ok. Do you even watch movies or do you just post about em adhering to the group think because you're simple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzL0R1s_RY

How else is he supposed to act in this scene? Jump out the window with the kid in his arm? His acting is perfectly fine in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpD2wfTVWM

He emotes as one should when confronted with such a thing. There is nothing wrong with his acting.

People are just mad he wasn't some dumb 80s action star.

I just found him incredibly boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vince MechMahon posted:

The character is pretty boring due to being grounded or whatever you'd want to call it, which is fine. I don't want him riding around on Godzilla's back dual wielding drum fed rocket launchers or whatever. The thing is when you look at him as a working actor across everything he's in, he's just a really tame and fairly lovely safe bet that doesn't bring much of anything to roles. He's a fine (and also financially responsible) pick for this character since the character is just a Joe Sixpack who takes the camera on a guided tour of different cool army poo poo and a monster, but he's not "good". He's just a human shaped object serving to bind one scene to the next. In the sense that he remembered his lines and has a face, then yes he did well in this film.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

JBP posted:

The character is pretty boring due to being grounded or whatever you'd want to call it, which is fine. I don't want him riding around on Godzilla's back dual wielding drum fed rocket launchers or whatever.

I think I'm repeating myself but there's a middle ground between blank and dual wielding rocket launchers on Godzilla's back.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Which is a different thing from "bad acting".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I think I'm repeating myself but there's a middle ground between blank and dual wielding rocket launchers on Godzilla's back.

Yes, but I don't want to hear about it. I know which film I want to see now!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The ‘middle ground’ is in understanding that the action in the film is already an externalization of the character’s thoughts and feelings. The MUTO built their nest in a hellish underworld copy of his house for a reason.

By the end of the film, of course, Ford’s pulling a handgun on the death-creature and facing off against a nuclear bomb. A lot of movies have cheapened that sort of imagery, like “ho-hum, of course the hero stops the nuke”. But Godzilla 2014 is actually entirely about that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I still think nuking Godzilla is a monumentally stupid idea whenever it crops up, I think they could do something interesting with the kaiju's ability to sense radiation. Rather than use nukes as tactical weapons against the monsters, follow up on the notion of using them as bait to lure monsters away from urban centers. They started to touch on that with G14 before the Muto stole the nuke and headed for San Fran anyways, but now that humanity knows about their affinity for radiation they could refine the bait plan to lure Kaiju into brawls with one another.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

While I still think nuking Godzilla is a monumentally stupid idea whenever it crops up, I think they could do something interesting with the kaiju's ability to sense radiation. Rather than use nukes as tactical weapons against the monsters, follow up on the notion of using them as bait to lure monsters away from urban centers. They started to touch on that with G14 before the Muto stole the nuke and headed for San Fran anyways, but now that humanity knows about their affinity for radiation they could refine the bait plan to lure Kaiju into brawls with one another.

Those two specific kaiju sense and rely on radiation, I'd be surprised if the others in KotM do. Rodan's a living volcano creature with magma for blood, Mothra is so colossally bioluminescent she has natural lasers, and Ghidorah creates electrified hurricanes (for those not from hurricane areas, hurricanes are almost pure wind and water, very little lightning) just by flapping his wings.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Those two specific kaiju sense and rely on radiation, I'd be surprised if the others in KotM do. Rodan's a living volcano creature with magma for blood, Mothra is so colossally bioluminescent she has natural lasers, and Ghidorah creates electrified hurricanes (for those not from hurricane areas, hurricanes are almost pure wind and water, very little lightning) just by flapping his wings.

Doesn't Godzilla love himself some nuclear radiation?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

Doesn't Godzilla love himself some nuclear radiation?

"Two specific kaiju" meaning Godzilla and the Mutos, yes. Though Godzilla himself in Legendary doesn't seem particularly attracted to radiation, we just know a submarine with a nuclear reactor unwittingly passing near where he slept is what woke him up in the 50s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If he absorbed the radiation to wake himself up and save San Francisco from massive nuclear fallout that would have been a nice callback to Godzilla vs Destroyah

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal posted:

"Two specific kaiju" meaning Godzilla and the Mutos, yes. Though Godzilla himself in Legendary doesn't seem particularly attracted to radiation, we just know a submarine with a nuclear reactor unwittingly passing near where he slept is what woke him up in the 50s.

Ah sorry I took it as the MUTOs and wasn't sure if it was just that Godzilla came to get them while they were busy eating a power station.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured one of the distinguishing features of Kaiju would be that they feed on radiation or have a built-in reactor like Godzilla, hence why they can sustain themselves at that size, though Kong seems to manage without.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

he eats a lot of bananas

e: I was just being flippant there at first but actually, bananas are a bit radioactive, aren't they? yeah, he eats lots of bananas, that's it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

King Kong is really neat, he is full of monkey meat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mantis42 posted:

King Kong is really neat, he is full of monkey meat.

And when it comes to flinging poo, no one's got him beat!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

McDragon posted:

he eats a lot of bananas

e: I was just being flippant there at first but actually, bananas are a bit radioactive, aren't they? yeah, he eats lots of bananas, that's it

This Kong's so strong it isn't funny
He can make a Skullcrawler cry out for mommy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This Kong's so strong it isn't funny
He can make a Skullcrawler cry out for mommy

He has no style, he has no grace
This Kong has a funny face

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
When-a the monkey die,
Everybody cry!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

King
Kong
he's our man,

If he can't do it,
MEKANIKONGU CAN

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've heard rumors on another site that the specific motives of the ecoterrorist lady in King is apparently going to be that she's part of a cult that's sprung up worshiping Godzilla and the Titans, as Monarch is calling them, as vengeful gods here to reclaim the world from humanity's sins and poor stewardship of the planet.

That's an interesting thought to me, people worshiping Godzilla. Pacific Rim briefly touched on the idea of kaiju cultists a little, has Godzilla ever played with the idea?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
In modern-day terms, no, but a lot of kaiju have indigenous cults: Varan, Kong, Mothra, King Caesar, Megalon, Gappa, in GMK and the Mothra trilogy there's presumably cults for Baragon and the various Ghidorah.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mothra worship is older than Christianity, it's hardly a "cult".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
That's not what cult means.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Then of course there were the Odo Islanders in the original.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
That ancient civilization in Godzilla vs Megalon seemed pretty culty.

That movie is a weird one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

K. Waste posted:

That's not what cult means.

All religions newer than Christianity are a cult - CineD

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean, to be fair, "cult" is already rather relativistic and is pretty much only ever used pejoratively in popular culture, to the extent that it hasn't really been critically recognized for almost half a century. Most people are under the impression that a "cult" is a new religious movement characterized by uncommon or excessive devotion to a particular goal or personality, which King of the Monsters is definitely exploiting with its neo-pagan eco-terrorists.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

tbf most of sa believes christianity is a cult too

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Virtually all religion has cults, because a cult is more a form of worship rather than a religious movement.

Veneration of saints, for instance, is cultism.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Virtually all religion has cults, because a cult is more a form of worship rather than a religious movement.

Veneration of saints, for instance, is cultism.

Polytheistic religions basically require cults.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like a 'cult' in the usual modern term necessarily requires a religion, see 'cult of personality'. Though there's some overlap. Traditionally it was just a religious community dedicated to a particular god or interpretation.

The way Abrahamic religions work actually seems like a bit of an aberration if you look at even modern-day religious practice in Asia, where a lot of people will visit shrines, temples and churches all in the same day and feel nothing contradictory about it. (And they get confused about the idea of nuns and conflate them with mikos, basically part-time shrine keepers)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just saw Shin, and it was much more political than I though. A little too long, but I enjoyed it as a political drama with Godzilla destroying Tokyo.

Best part was the beginning with the politicians arguing about semantics and who's responsible for what while hosed-up-slug-Godzilla was wreaking havok.

Oh, and the American politician who spoke perfect Japanese but barely intelligible English was pretty good as well.

I loved how Godzilla himself looked. The first form was both goofy and frightening, but the last form was awesome. The tail added a lot.

The ensign 'battle' looked great. I enjoyed how they used improvised weaponry like the subway trains and whole buildings. Only bummer was the way they actually defeated him. Defeating him by making him ingest chemicals while knocked out was kind of messed up and anticlimactic.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 11, 2018

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I do have to say that the 2nd form scene is one of my favorite reasons for being able to catch it in a packed theater. When it first appeared you could hear confused, WTF mummers and soft chuckles, but the longer it was on screen the quieter it got and I could see people uncomfortably squirming in their seats. That makes it a pretty effective design in my book.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dr. Benway posted:

I do have to say that the 2nd form scene is one of my favorite reasons for being able to catch it in a packed theater. When it first appeared you could hear confused, WTF mummers and soft chuckles, but the longer it was on screen the quieter it got and I could see people uncomfortably squirming in their seats. That makes it a pretty effective design in my book.

It's certainly memorable. But yeah I had a similar reaction to it. I was even unsure if it was supposed to be Godzilla until I got a good look at the fins.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Man I forgot just how closely Godzilla 2014 follows Gamera 1995. If King of the Monsters is a stealth Revenge of Iris remake I’ll flip

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DeimosRising posted:

Man I forgot just how closely Godzilla 2014 follows Gamera 1995. If King of the Monsters is a stealth Revenge of Iris remake I’ll flip

I haven't seen that one, it is?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't seen that one, it is?

Sorta kind of the same plot beats

You need to watch the gamera trilogy from the 90s though anyways.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

dentist toy box posted:

You need to watch the gamera trilogy from the 90s though anyways.

Do this now. You can find the trilogy super cheap on blu-ray and it's a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CRAYON posted:

Do this now. You can find the trilogy super cheap on blu-ray and it's a ton of fun.

I'd do it loving fast too. I think they're out of print and they're just selling off remaining stock now.