Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A month after ruling out a move to Victoria at the end of this season, Dylan Shiel has apparently told the GWS he's going to leave as a FA end of next season and if they want to arrange a trade now, feel free.

Free Agency certainly has proved a real boon for the interstate clubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

A month after ruling out a move to Victoria at the end of this season, Dylan Shiel has apparently told the GWS he's going to leave as a FA end of next season and if they want to arrange a trade now, feel free.

Worked for Sydney.

Port attracted talent too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Worked for Sydney.

Outside of Franklin and Betts, there's something of a difference in quality of talent heading out than heading in.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

NTRabbit posted:

GWS better get on the horn to Norf to get them to declare their interest in him, that'll get him to re-sign with the giants

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

drunkill posted:

We can only hope that Newman dies in the burning wreckage of his lambo wrapped around a pole.

Also he's an idiot, Christians and Muslims both worship the same imaginary friend, not a different one.

In other retirement news, Alex Silvagni has called it quits. We really could have used him this year with the rest of our backline also injured, but he has not played in 2018. :(

Let us remember his debut for the blues where he absolutely destroyed Buddy Franklin, despite Buddy punching on before the match: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2017-06-04/top-moments-asos-bog-on-debut

I always liked Alex, he didn't get too many opportunities at Freo with Michael Johnson and Luke McPharlin in the side, but when he did get a run he always got the most out of himself.

The game I best remember him for was also against Buddy in the elimination final in 2014 when Freo were missing Johnson and McPharlin among others. He worked his arse off all day keeping Buddy to one goal in the fist three quarters, and tackling like crazy keeping the pressure on.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The video of Goddard speaking to his teammates was sad :(

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2018-08-21/btv-bj-farewells-playing-group

He is a bit of a douche but you can see from this that it comes down to his passion for playing footy.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Goddard to Suns, word on the street. Carlton wasn't interested and turned down a meeting with his agent.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Worked for Sydney.

Ryder was obviously a coup, but beyond that they've either attracted players whose clubs were happy to let go, or who came from other interstate clubs.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

cmndstab posted:

Ryder was obviously a coup, but beyond that they've either attracted players whose clubs were happy to let go, or who came from other interstate clubs.

Ryder wasn't really due to FA anything, that was all on Essendon doping drug drama.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Robodog posted:

Ryder wasn't really due to FA anything, that was all on Essendon doping drug drama.

True.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Windmill Hut posted:

The video of Goddard speaking to his teammates was sad :(

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2018-08-21/btv-bj-farewells-playing-group

He is a bit of a douche but you can see from this that it comes down to his passion for playing footy.

Apparently a couple of players have agreed to a move to the bombers which forced him out to make space on the list and salary cap. One of them is Setterfield, the other is hopefully Sheil

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

drunkill posted:

Goddard to Suns, word on the street. Carlton wasn't interested and turned down a meeting with his agent.

They’ve already hosed this down

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ben Cousins has been caught trying to sell meth.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jacko Merrett gone too, the bombers are getting their delistings out of the way early

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton have signed up two Rio Olympics rugby gold medalists as rookies for the AFLW (although Brooke Weller was listed as an emergency during the olympics and didn't play)

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1032086103375769602

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
This is brutal

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jesus

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The bloke’s life must be a constant parade of misery

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah he sounds completely cooked.

No fixed address, stalking his ex and threatening her with a screwdriver, arguing in court you're not a violent person.

Don't do meth, kids. It fries your brains.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/struggling-afl-clubs-may-get-access-to-players-from-state-leagues-20180822-p4zz47.html

quote:

First access to mature-aged recruits from state leagues, or a conditional priority pick that must be traded, are scenarios being discussed at AFL House to help Gold Coast, Carlton and potentially even St Kilda.

Carlton, Gold Coast and St Kilda are likely to apply for “special assistance” under rule 19 early next month, but a priority pick in its purest form might not be given by the AFL Commission.

The AFL executive is expected to recommend that the struggling clubs - which may or may not include St Kilda - be granted first access to state league players, so that the likes of Geelong sensation Tim Kelly end up at bottom clubs rather than premiership contenders. Under this proposal, which is considered likely, the bottom teams would be able to sign two players each from the state leagues.

In what would probably be a separate hand-out, the AFL executive is considering recommending priority picks to Carlton and the Suns, with consideration given to mid-first-round choices - likely to be picks 12 and 13 - after each non-finalist has had a selection. AFL football chief Steve Hocking said on the weekend the AFL had not ruled out the contentious early priority picks, which would potentially give the Blues and Suns the first five picks in the national draft (including a pick for Tom Lynch), though this appears less likely than later choices.

But the AFL also is contemplating whether these priority picks must be traded for mature players - a move that would require that the clubs have room in their salary cap.

A number of state league players will be considered if the AFL approves special access to the state league talent. Former Fremantle defender and Werribee star Sam Collins is one player who would immediately be considered in these circumstances, as would his teammate Josh Corbett, Williamstown’s 2016 Liston Trophy winner Michael Gibbons, Essendon VFL’s Nick Hind, Collingwood VFL defender Marty Hore and Sturt forward Shane McAdam.

Rule 19 of the AFL handbook states that at the end of each home-and-away season, “the commission may determine in its absolute discretion that a club is entitled to one or more priority selections at the next occurring national draft selection meeting.”

There is a belief inside AFL House that Carlton and Gold Coast have had significant access to elite young talent, without improving quickly enough.

Indeed, the Blues have 20 first-round draft picks on their list, and boast quality youngsters such as Charlie Curnow, Paddy Dow, Harry McKay and Caleb Marchbank.

It was also only two years ago that Gold Coast had four selections inside the top 10 of the 2016 draft, while young guns like Jaeger O’Meara, Dion Prestia and Josh Caddy have left for stronger Victorian teams.

The reason for the AFL’s rethink on priority picks - and for the state league access option - is multi-faceted.

First, it assists struggling young teams in the short term, rather than simply handing them another elite teenager.

Second, it placates the other clubs in the competition by limiting any compromise to the draft. There is more acceptance from rival clubs of the Suns' structural issues as a northern club in a small market than of Carlton's position, which is seen as more self-inflicted.

St Kilda remain the intriguing club when it comes to “special assistance”. Although the Saints won 11 games in 2017 and missed out on finals football by just one game, senior figures at the AFL believe St Kilda’s list is worse than Carlton's.

And given the disastrous year that Alan Richardson’s side has had, it would be remiss of the Saints to not at least inquire.

Clubs also believe the process of seeking special assistance from the AFL needs clarifying.

While nothing in the rules state that a club must put out their hand, it’s widely accepted at both AFL and club level that clubs must apply, rather than be given, extra help.

Decisions will be made in commission meeting of grand final week.

I don't mind the idea to give bottom clubs priority access to state league players, but I'm not sure it's a real solution. It relies on their being state league players that can play AFL and just because we've had a few in the last couple of year, it doesn't mean it'll keep happening.

Forcing a club to trade a priority pick is stupid because it instantly creates a sellers market and would for them to trade even if there wasn't any good options to trade for. All that'd do is benefit the clubs above the ones getting a PP.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/struggling-afl-clubs-may-get-access-to-players-from-state-leagues-20180822-p4zz47.html

I don't mind the idea to give bottom clubs priority access to state league players, but I'm not sure it's a real solution. It relies on their being state league players that can play AFL and just because we've had a few in the last couple of year, it doesn't mean it'll keep happening.

Forcing a club to trade a priority pick is stupid because it instantly creates a sellers market and would for them to trade even if there wasn't any good options to trade for. All that'd do is benefit the clubs above the ones getting a PP.

I don't mind the idea of a 'State League Draft' for the bottom 2 or 4 sides each year before the AFL draft. There's always a bunch of decent state league players drafted who do well. Of course it relies on the club being able to identify talent effectively and having 20 first round picks on your list and still being hot garbage suggests maybe that area is lacking.

The other thing that would really help would be to restrict top 8 sides from accessing free agents and prevent top 4 sides from getting them altogether.

If the Saints get a priority pick it will be a loving joke, they played in two grand finals less than a decade ago. At some point the people administering the club need to take responsibility and get the right people working in the key roles of recruiting and player development, and not just ask for more teenagers to throw in the fire.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

The other thing that would really help would be to restrict top 8 sides from accessing free agents and prevent top 4 sides from getting them altogether.

The AFLPA will never allow that to happen

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

If the Saints get a priority pick it will be a loving joke

This is the AFL, so :v:

Saying that clubs just need to 'get the right people working in the key roles of recruiting and player development' instead of getting more talent into the club is a poor argument imo. It completely places the blame on clubs while minimising the impact that the varying levels of resources available to clubs has, while also ignoring the fact that more access to talent = more likelihood of getting players that will improve a club.

Given that all clubs are constantly looking for ways to improve their recruiting and development systems, the amount of money clubs have available to spend is ultimately going to be a key factor in their success. That's why the draft (and overall access to players) is so important in equalising the competition.

Personally, I wouldn't have priority picks or wait till a team is X years out of finals before giving them. I think there should be a mini-round between the first and second rounds that only gives picks to the bottom 3-6 clubs (with a number between randomly selected between 3-6 to minimise tanking incentive). Those picks in the 19-25 range are some of the best value picks in the draft, but don't compromise the other teams picks as much as going earlier. That way the draft becomes even more of an equalising tool which should help counteract the impact of FA and the "big club" trade effect.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A NORTHERN suburbs football club has been dumped from the Adelaide Footy League and its captain banned for life after he was found guilty of four offences from one game at the tribunal.

Salisbury West player Adam Jones was suspended on Wednesday night for a total of 27 weeks, taking his career tally to 34 games — taking him over the league’s 12-game threshold.

It is one of the largest suspensions ever handed down for a single player.

Jones was found guilty of striking, kicking and undue rough play from four incidents caught on camera last Saturday against Trinity Old Scholars.

The guilty verdict breached a good behaviour agreement Salisbury West had with the league, meaning the club was immediately turfed for the remainder of the season.

“Salisbury West entered season 2018 fully cognisant of the consequences for a breach of their agreement let alone a series of breaches to this magnitude from one match,” league chief executive John Kernahan said.

“The league has never baulked from its responsibility of removing those who present a risk to other members whether they be an individual, team or club and we are not about to start now.

“We’re quite happy having less players and even a club or two if it means the ones we do have are playing footy for the reasons we promote.”

It was the latest in a series of violent on-field incidents involving the club dating back to 2005.

Salisbury West will play no further part in the division six finals series.

It is the second club to be removed from the league this season, following fellow northern suburbs club Salisbury North.

Jones received three suspensions for striking, one for 10 weeks (by knee), a second for six weeks (by knee) and a third for an elbow.

He also received three games for attempting to trip, while a stomping charge was dismissed.

The league deregisters players if they exceed its 12-match threshold.

One of the hits shattered the jaw of Trinity player Carl Teusner, who underwent surgery on Wednesday morning.

Teusner also made a statement to police about the incident on Tuesday.

The league has reshaped the division six finals series following Salisbury West’s removal.

Rosewater, which was scheduled to play the Tigers in a semi-final this Saturday, will now progress directly through to the grand final to be played on September 1.

Trinity’s semi-final against Fitzroy this weekend will now become a preliminary final with the winner facing the Dogs in the decider.

Salisbury West’s B grade has also been removed from the division six reserves finals.

Last Saturday’s match was the latest in a series of violent incidents involving the club dating back to 2005.

Last year, four Salisbury West players — two seniors and two under-18s — were suspended for a total of 31 weeks across the season from five separate reports.

In 2005, the division four grand final between Salisbury West and Payneham Norwood Union turned violent and five Tigers players were suspended for a total of 38 games.

Salisbury West was also fined $2000 and was not promoted to division three for the next season.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Since Melbourne last played in a final, Brock Lesnar made his MMA debut, won the UFC heavyweight title, got diverticulitis, unified the title, lost the title, got diverticulitis again, returned, retired from MMA, returned to WWE, ended the Undertakers 20 year long wrestle mania streak, won the WWE championship, returned to UFC, won his return fight, got suspended for a doping violation, had his win overturned, retired from MMA again, won the WWE universal championship and had the longest WWE title reign in 30 years, and announced his return to UFC.

The following tv shows debuted: Jericho, dexter, Friday night lights, 30 rock, Heroes, Tim and Eric, flight of the conchords, mad men, the Big Bang theory, keeping up with the kardashians, breaking bad, true blood, parks and rec, glee, archer, community, modern family, Masterchef, my little pony, the walking dead, game of thrones, suits

North Korea claimed their first successful nuclear test.
Pluto was classified no longer a Planet
Kofi Anaan resigned as Secretary General of the United Nations
Barack Obama was elected president
The iPhone was first revealed
Saddam Hussein was executed
The Subprime Mortgage Crisis and resulting Global Financial Crisis occurred
John Howard lost government and his seat
Kevin Rudd apologised to the Stolen Generation
Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, Kevin Rudd, Tony Abbott, and Malcolm Turnbull all failed to serve a full term as Prime Minister
The Large Hadron Collider is completed and begins operation
The first block of the Bitcoin blockchain was created

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Periphery posted:

There's a reason why Sam Collins is not playing for Freo and why the hawks let him walk from Box Hill in the first place, he's just not quite good enough for AFL. To think you're going to just pluck mature age gems out of the state leagues like it's a given and fix underperforming AFL sides with them is just fanciful.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

A NORTHERN suburbs football club has been dumped from the Adelaide Footy League and its captain banned for life...

Good. Get in the bin.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

I think you mean buyers market but your point still stands in that trade offerings will be likely slim and could force unwanted player movement when that draft pick would have just been better spent on the actual draft.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

I agree with everything here except possibly the wording.

Maybe a second total lottery pick? A pick that could be anywhere from say 2 (assuming they only have one team needing a priority pick) to 19. Having two first rounders could potentially net you a decent player, while the in built randomness prevents it from being a slam dunk sure thing that you absolutely have to hold on to.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't see how giving them an extra top 10 pick that they can use to trade for Dylan Shiel is any different than trading for Chris Judd a decade ago. Every time Carlton has gone the quick fix it has failed.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm not sure I'd entirely call the Judd trade a failure, they pushed up the ladder reasonably far and made a couple of fair showings at the finals in the early part of this decade. After the disaster that was the 00s it was certainly a step in the right direction. What was going in with recruitment during those years is really the issue, not the one big fish they landed back in 2007.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That's the point, chasing a big fish and ignoring the structural issues that plague the club is what happened then, and is what will happen now. Look at Jacob Weitering, he's already on the same road Jack Watts went down.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

That's not fair to Weitering, he started strongly then has gotten crap. Watts was pretty hopeless all the way through in his early career

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Priority pick for Freo but it’s one of the coaches

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm not sure I'd entirely call the Judd trade a failure, they pushed up the ladder reasonably far and made a couple of fair showings at the finals in the early part of this decade. After the disaster that was the 00s it was certainly a step in the right direction. What was going in with recruitment during those years is really the issue, not the one big fish they landed back in 2007.

Don't forget Malthouse

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Priority pick for Freo but it’s one of the coaches

In that case the Saints will need about 6 priority picks to fix their coaching issues. Then another 30 to fix the shitness of the playing list.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-22/dud-against-hawks-kennett-pokes-the-buddy-bear#/

gently caress YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU JEFF KENNETT.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

A NORTHERN suburbs football club has been dumped from the Adelaide Footy League and its captain banned for life after he was found guilty of four offences from one game at the tribunal.

Salisbury West player Adam Jones was suspended on Wednesday night for a total of 27 weeks, taking his career tally to 34 games — taking him over the league’s 12-game threshold.

It is one of the largest suspensions ever handed down for a single player.

27 weeks, geez. Good riddance. Jones can gently caress off. Hope he doesn't just take his bullshit to another sport.

Having to remove two clubs from the league in one season is pretty disgraceful. Hopefully those clubs get their act together going forward.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

If the Saints get a priority pick it will be a loving joke, they played in two grand finals less than a decade ago. At some point the people administering the club need to take responsibility and get the right people working in the key roles of recruiting and player development, and not just ask for more teenagers to throw in the fire.

Agreed. Sometimes clubs just gently caress up a rebuild and that is on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice mispost in the Auspol thread.