Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Peeve: Every meeting has That Guy. The one who asks a dumb question and keeps repeating it, as if the answer will change. Our previous Guy kept asking if we needed to get signatures when doing a delivery if the notes said Signature Required. He transferred to another state, so now the new Guy spent 10 minutes dragging our loving Saturday meeting over to try and figure out a new routing system that a, is still in beta, and b, NO ONE IN THE loving MEETING KNOWS ABOUT FULLY BECAUSE IT IS IN BETA.

Peeve: I work in an animal rescue and help answer the emails, and Every loving Day I get at least one, sometimes up to 3 or even 5 emails from people wanting us to take in feral cats or their dogs that bit the kid or somehow everyone now has allergies, and when I tell them we are closed for intake because we have over 500 animals in volunteer homes, the people lose their poo poo, screaming about how we need to help them and what are they supposed to DO and....the only thing BETTER than that are the fuckers that email about an animal, and then email every hour or so after demanding to know when the foster will get back to them.

edit: I'm not vegan and don't tease people who are, unless they bring it up first, but even then, why the gently caress do I care what you eat? How does it affect me? Bitch, I am so full of preservatives, my zombie body will NEVER rot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mostlygray posted:

To be early is to be on time. To be on time is to be late. To be late is unforgivable.

Just keep those rules, and you'll always be where you need to be regardless of traffic or other problems on the way.

I know, that's the way I operate, and I'm beginning to hate it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The loving people that write political songs/limericks in the comments section. Just stop, Uncle Dan.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

A lack of call out culture when it comes to businesses. We have the internet, companies like Wallmart should be shamed all the time. Any company that cold calls you should have a daily shaming until they stop. Employees can't say poo poo either legally or realistically, society take the wheel, please.By this I don't necessarily mean that you have to hate on Monsanto any more than you already do and paint them as evil guys in suits and make up a bunch of hysterical conspiracy bullshit.

Any job offer less than 10 dollars an hour? Let people know. A company tries to demand interns have 2-3 years of experience, ruin their day. Did they cut corners on training? Hurt their PR. Make an anonymous facebook account and/or raid their Yelp.

If not they are allowed to be douchebags until it is unprofitable, they got enough money for most lawsuits. Use facebook, use Yelp. Everyone has jobs, respect people, not institutions that don't care about you. Think about the bullshit you have to deal with daily rather than if your fries were cold.

Midig has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Aug 20, 2018

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tiggum posted:

If the event starts at two, you should be there and be ready to start at two. Whether that's in a professional or social context makes no difference. And that means you've got to be there before two, because if you arrive at two then you're not ready to start.

I mean, if it's a meeting we're talking about, the 1/2 second it takes me to sit down and click my pen (if it's the kind of meeting where notes are required at all) doesn't seem worthy of arriving 5-10 minutes early like everyone seems to think is necessary.

But that might just be my experience as an unimportant office peon. I imagine if you're actually presenting something, sure, you'll get there early and get set up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The wrong kind of fisher/hunter.

I can only really speak for fishing, and I'm definitely not a PETA advocate or anything- one of my favourite meals is a gulf redfish (ideally stuffed or topped with even more dead sea life), one of my favourite hobbies is fishing for those fuckers, and that requires at least three dead sea creatures. The fish itself, the fish you use for bait, and the meat you use as bait for the bait fish. And that involves a lot of inflicting painful death on the fishes.

I'm not gonna tell you Fish Lives Matter. The death of a fish is a fair trade for a swell day and a tasty meal for my loved ones.

But the actual death of the fish sucks. I'd much rather a system where I can float around on a boat, drink some beers, catch some tasty fillets, and then let the poor fish they came from swim away and happily live out its piscine life. Plus reality is that there is an amount of fishing and hunting that needs to be done, ecologically. It's fine to kill those fuckers.

There are fishers and hunters, though, who seem to consider the death of their prey, the act of killing, as the main attraction. gently caress those people and please make them stop talking to me. Agonizing fish death is by far the worst part of fishing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The wrong kind of fisher/hunter.

I can only really speak for fishing, and I'm definitely not a PETA advocate or anything- one of my favourite meals is a gulf redfish (ideally stuffed or topped with even more dead sea life), one of my favourite hobbies is fishing for those fuckers, and that requires at least three dead sea creatures. The fish itself, the fish you use for bait, and the meat you use as bait for the bait fish. And that involves a lot of inflicting painful death on the fishes.

I'm not gonna tell you Fish Lives Matter. The death of a fish is a fair trade for a swell day and a tasty meal for my loved ones.

But the actual death of the fish sucks. I'd much rather a system where I can float around on a boat, drink some beers, catch some tasty fillets, and then let the poor fish they came from swim away and happily live out its piscine life. Plus reality is that there is an amount of fishing and hunting that needs to be done, ecologically. It's fine to kill those fuckers.

There are fishers and hunters, though, who seem to consider the death of their prey, the act of killing, as the main attraction. gently caress those people and please make them stop talking to me. Agonizing fish death is by far the worst part of fishing.

Ignorant ones are kind of annoying too. Like the people who go around lecturing people that do the standard quick way of killing a fish (stunning it and then bleeding it out) that they are monsters and the most humane way to kill them is to put them on ice when the opposite is true. Also people that skip the stunning step because "it's just a fish, who cares if it gets hurt".

But yeah the killing part is by far the worst part of fishing and you're kind of weird if you think otherwise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My great uncle thought it would be a great idea to take me fishing when I was about 11-12. I'd been fishing loads of times with my dad and my uncle, but it was almost always for sport and we'd used low-injury lures and released catches.

So my great uncle takes me out to some marsh outside Omaha, and says we need bait. He starts stepping on frogs. At once point, he steps on a frog and it's sheared in half lengthwise like a butterflied chicken breast. Despite the two halves being held together by the most minute bit of tissue, they nonetheless individually reacted with escape instinct and pain reactions. I walked around to the other side of the lake and just stacked rocks instead. My great uncle told my dad I was a pussy.

That's the day I decided he was right, I had to do something about it. I learned the art of killing. Now they call me Slab, because that's where I'll put ya.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I have a job where I'm not even facing customers and I get poo poo for coming in at 8:01 instead of 8:00. It's mainly the lovely old people who are miserable who give me flak though. I just tell them I'll make up the time I lost after hours or at lunch and they get even more pissed off.

I'm going to be working remote on a flex schedule too so it's even more bizarre that they are giving me a hard time for coming in late. Yeah offer me flex time but still give me poo poo that I don't come in on your schedule? Get outta here.

Having to come in at a certain time is a control mechanism for the people who want to feel like they have power over someone else.

In some jobs it obviously makes sense to come in on time, retail, customer facing, etc. But for a typical office job? I go in and shuffle papers for 8 hours, who cares when I do it as long as it gets done.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fried Watermelon posted:

I have a job where I'm not even facing customers and I get poo poo for coming in at 8:01 instead of 8:00. It's mainly the lovely old people who are miserable who give me flak though. I just tell them I'll make up the time I lost after hours or at lunch and they get even more pissed off.

I'm going to be working remote on a flex schedule too so it's even more bizarre that they are giving me a hard time for coming in late. Yeah offer me flex time but still give me poo poo that I don't come in on your schedule? Get outta here.

Having to come in at a certain time is a control mechanism for the people who want to feel like they have power over someone else.

In some jobs it obviously makes sense to come in on time, retail, customer facing, etc. But for a typical office job? I go in and shuffle papers for 8 hours, who cares when I do it as long as it gets done.

Managers are cultists.

I had a previous job that gave me really good flexibility, basically 8 hours per day as long as I was there from 9 am to 3pm, and my manager could not understand why I wanted to leave work at 3 every day.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

Managers are cultists.

I had a previous job that gave me really good flexibility, basically 8 hours per day as long as I was there from 9 am to 3pm, and my manager could not understand why I wanted to leave work at 3 every day.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
My previous manager decided one day that our coverage had always been 0730-1700, when we had always done 0800-1630. So the decree came down that we would be doing this extra hour. Someone would be in early, someone stayed late.
My commute setup with my wife saw me getting in at 0800 but the other guys were in at 0730 so it fell to me to work an extra half hour a day.

No, this extra time would not be compensated. I was "allowed" to take an extra half hour at lunch. Until I was questioned about my "unexplained" long lunches. Coffee breaks in the work contract? Up to the discretion of the manager aka never allowed.

This was a professional office job too, not retail hell. My manager was just flabbergasted when two of us quit within 3 months of his new coverage schedule. "I thought you had loyalty, you've been here 10 years!" Yeah and you've been here 10 months and hosed it all up, what's your point?

So yeah, pet peeves. Management. lovely management I guess but lol like there's good managers. I'm 35 dude, don't treat me like a truant child.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fried Watermelon posted:

If I'm not happy then nobody is allowed to be.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We had a dude narc on the crew for always leaving 15 minutes early, and management's response was basically "if the job got done, who gives a poo poo" :toot:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm just really sensitive about people arriving to work on time because I don't get to go home until the next shift gets in, and after I've been working all night I don't want people flouncing in 10 minutes late complaining about the traffic that is there every loving day everyone else makes it in on time why are you the only one you magically runs into traffic gently caress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

I'm just really sensitive about people arriving to work on time because I don't get to go home until the next shift gets in, and after I've been working all night I don't want people flouncing in 10 minutes late complaining about the traffic that is there every loving day everyone else makes it in on time why are you the only one you magically runs into traffic gently caress.

When I worked in EMS there were a few people at my agency that did that and it was infuriating. Especially because I could end up on a call that they should have been around to take and get stuck at work for an extra hour and a half. gently caress, man, if you’re always, 100 percent of the time, ten minutes late maybe you should leave ten minutes early! And ten minutes late is closer to 25 minutes late, since most people clocked in fifteen minutes early to check the ambulance/help stop whoever they were relieving from getting stuck on a call.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Antioch posted:

This was a professional office job too, not retail hell. My manager was just flabbergasted when two of us quit within 3 months of his new coverage schedule. "I thought you had loyalty, you've been here 10 years!" Yeah and you've been here 10 months and hosed it all up, what's your point?

Bosses thay expect loyalty from their workers are really loving dumb. It's a job, you do it to get paid not to have a relationship with the company or whatever.

My current job is flexible with me so I'm willing to be flexible with them when something extra needs to be done but if I'm expected to deal with extra garbage with no compensation then gently caress them.

Andrast has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Aug 21, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hate it when people hold people up like that just because they know nothing major will happen. Not exactly the same situation, but in my first job on one of those skyride things at busch gardens, we'd usually work in pairs on the unloading side (one to stop the cart, one to open the door). There were a couple coworkers who would always stretch their 15 minute break to ~30 minutes every time because when you're left solo you are too busy making sure things don't get backed up so you can't exactly go call the supervisor. Then when they get back they act like nothing happened and since I was just a teenager I always backed down about complaining about the 40+ year olds taking advantage.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I hate when people try to do you favours or nice things, but it just ends up being a huge inconvenience for everyone.

We had plans to visit my mother and sister in law yesterday, and while we were making these plans, SIL asked if we wanted to stay over for dinner. We declined, because we have a 4 month old baby who needs to eat/sleep every 2 hours. We didn't want to stay very long so we could get him home before he turned into a screaming, overtired disaster. SIL is adamant that she is cooking for us, and we can take dinner home. Ok fine.

So even though we made these plans in advance, SIL announces the day of our visit that she now apparently has an appointment in the next town over, so she won't be around for our visit, and dinner won't be ready until 4. We basically have to plan our lives around the baby, so we were like, no big deal, just forget about dinner. She flips out on us a little bit, asking why we can't just stay until she is back from her appointment etc. So we try to be nice and stay a little later than we are planning so we can see her for a couple of minutes when she gets home. We tell her sorry about dinner, which isn't ready yet, and she insists she will pack up some for us and drop it off for us in the morning before she goes to work. Ok, sure, I guess. Of course, baby becomes a screaming, overtired disaster from not getting his nap on time, and the rest of my evening is pretty much ruined by this.

So this morning, she says she's coming for 8:30. Great, right before baby needs to go down for his first nap. She doesn't actually arrive until almost 9, at which point baby is screaming again and overtired. I say 'gently caress it' and try to put him down, at which point she of course finally gets to our place, and wakes him up. Gah!!

It's just so annoying to me because I didn't want her stupid dinner in the first place, and we told her multiple times to forget about it, but she wanted so badly to 'do something nice for us'. Her favour basically just made me have to deal with a freaking out baby twice when I otherwise wouldn't have had to. Anyone who's had a baby knows that if you gently caress up naptime by even a few minutes, your whole day can get irreperably thrown off, so its extra annoying.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Semi-relevant thing except my Mom really really wanted to give me some leftover pizza. I was going to wait at her place after work, eat and head home since it was a late shift and I wanted to get some sleep before the next day. However, she took one hour longer than expected, I told her no big deal, just let my brother have the pizza and I will go home since I am dead tired. She tells me she will wait by the bus stop at my home, I say that is way too much fuzz over some pizza and she really does not need to do that. I tell her again not to wait there over the phone. My phone dies and I go off at the wrong bus stop and walk home. Once my phone is charged I get a text message that she waited on me for 45 minutes at the bus stop and I get blamed for being ungrateful...

Midig has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Aug 21, 2018

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If somebody went that far out of their way to force food into me I'd assume it's full of poison. Because who does that?!

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Lol. My mother in law would. She lives at least 40 minutes away, and she occasionally drops by on the weekend to drop off a roast or a meatloaf or cookies completely unannounced and unplanned.

Of course it’s the weekend, and we’re usually out either with friends or running errands. She’d then get upset because we weren’t there.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Going to the convenience store and you get stuck behind the lottery junkie. Oh you bought 50 tickets and now you want to put them all through...that's great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When I worked in EMS there were a few people at my agency that did that and it was infuriating. Especially because I could end up on a call that they should have been around to take and get stuck at work for an extra hour and a half. gently caress, man, if you’re always, 100 percent of the time, ten minutes late maybe you should leave ten minutes early! And ten minutes late is closer to 25 minutes late, since most people clocked in fifteen minutes early to check the ambulance/help stop whoever they were relieving from getting stuck on a call.
That, and people who didn't understand that "on time" meant "and absolutely ready to work" not "clocked in". Our timeclock was on the way into the unit, so you could be clocked in and so "on time" and still need to drop your lunch off in the fridge, put your stuff in your locker, find your assignment, find the nurse who was giving you signout, say hi to everyone, etc etc. gently caress.

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

If somebody went that far out of their way to force food into me I'd assume it's full of poison. Because who does that?!
Parents who seem to think that the only way to show love is to feed people. By rejecting their food you're rejecting their love, you see.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have a meeting at 9:30 every day, it's my daily standup meeting (via Skype) with my developers located in India. It would be really lovely of me towards my team to show up at work at 9:30 exactly, and then have to wait 2-3 minutes for my laptop to boot, so I can open our bug tracker and Outlook/Skype for Business, so I can join the meeting. I mean poo poo, at least 30 minutes is needed to check up on everything, just to feel like I'm on top of it.

I simply don't understand how some people find it such a hard concept to grasp.

Your working hours start at 8 (or whatever), not your "being physically present" hours.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Aug 22, 2018

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Ravenfood posted:

Parents who seem to think that the only way to show love is to feed people. By rejecting their food you're rejecting their love, you see.

I hate that other people were blessed with parents like this and I was not.

On the topic of my mother and food, I was grocery shopping with her on Saturday and apparently now she lives off precooked salmon, tinned tuna and plain boiled potatoes covered in mayo with the occasional orange as a snack. She complains that everything else gives her IBS symptoms but she won't see a doctor about it (they won't be able to help????), or try any of the elimination diets I've asked her to look into/looked up for her. Just oranges, spuds and fish forever. Thinking about it makes me want to die.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
My parents themselves don't eat much, but like to make you eat. And they used to order food to excess at restaurants, to the point that it seemed like a practical joke.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

teenytinymouse posted:

I hate that other people were blessed with parents like this and I was not.

On the topic of my mother and food, I was grocery shopping with her on Saturday and apparently now she lives off precooked salmon, tinned tuna and plain boiled potatoes covered in mayo with the occasional orange as a snack. She complains that everything else gives her IBS symptoms but she won't see a doctor about it (they won't be able to help????), or try any of the elimination diets I've asked her to look into/looked up for her. Just oranges, spuds and fish forever. Thinking about it makes me want to die.

My parents basically have only eaten "convenience food" for as long as I've been around, so they basically hate all flavor, and distrust anything that isn't frozen, jarred, canned, or boxed at a factory. Six years later and they still complain about how I used a small onion and a fresh clove of garlic when I tried cooking for them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

That, and people who didn't understand that "on time" meant "and absolutely ready to work" not "clocked in". Our timeclock was on the way into the unit, so you could be clocked in and so "on time" and still need to drop your lunch off in the fridge, put your stuff in your locker, find your assignment, find the nurse who was giving you signout, say hi to everyone, etc etc. gently caress.

Related pet peeve; if you want me there 15 minutes early to do that stuff then schedule me 15 minutes early and loving pay me. One job I had I got poo poo for never showing up 20 or 30 minutes early "in case they needed me." My response was "if you want me here that early then schedule me that early and pay me. No pay, no work." I won't do job-related prep work for free and I got real sick of bosses that expected that. If I'm not clocked in then my time is my time. If I'm getting paid then my boss can tell me what to do. If I'm off the clock the answer is "gently caress you, pay me." If the schedule was written that the overlap is too short then that's a problem with the schedule not the people clocking in. If the schedule says 11 and I show up at 11 then there isn't a problem. If you want me there at 10:45 then put that on the schedule.

This gets me irate and cynical because that job expected people to generally be early for their shifts but refused to pay them for that time unless they were actually needed. So if they didn't need you then you were at work not getting paid. If you clocked in early because you were early then you got grief if it was more than a few minutes early. My answer to that was basically "loving nope." You want me at 10:30? Then the schedule says 10:30. I won't show up at 10 "just in case" and only maybe get paid. You want me present? You pay.

Of course if the overall attitude is "try to be in a bit early before your shift, clock in whenever you get here. Do this pre-work stuff and yes we will pay you" then I don't have as much of a problem with it. Just don't expect exactness because the schedule says a specific time.

I feel like a lot of that is trying to squeeze free time out of employees and it's sickening. I had another job where I only got paid when I was signed into the register. So of course cashing out at the end of my shift involved 5 to 20 minutes of unpaid work depending on how much bullshit I had to deal with. Needless to say I didn't stay there horribly long.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Aug 22, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Whiz Palace posted:

My parents themselves don't eat much, but like to make you eat. And they used to order food to excess at restaurants, to the point that it seemed like a practical joke.

My dad does this. Every holiday dinner, he goes all out - prime rib or steaks, a turkey, salmon, and fried chicken, at least, plus an enormous amount of sides. He will usually only get one plate and spend the rest of the time telling other people to go get seconds/thirds/etc. When you're done it's always "come on, I don't want any left overs, have one more plate". At restaurants too he'll look at you funny if, for example, you order a 16 oz ribeye instead of the 24 oz porterhouse or whatever is the most expensive+biggest thing on the menu.

I think he just misses being a chef and likes to show off and see people enjoy his food once in a while, but we'd all be perfectly happy if he toned it down a bit. I love my family and all but I think I might draw a line at getting up at ~3 in the morning and cooking/preparing until dinner time, even if it was only 2-3 times a year.

(not a peeve, just an additional thing that can make holiday meals a little awkward sometimes)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My dad does this. Every holiday dinner, he goes all out - prime rib or steaks, a turkey, salmon, and fried chicken, at least, plus an enormous amount of sides. He will usually only get one plate and spend the rest of the time telling other people to go get seconds/thirds/etc. When you're done it's always "come on, I don't want any left overs, have one more plate". At restaurants too he'll look at you funny if, for example, you order a 16 oz ribeye instead of the 24 oz porterhouse or whatever is the most expensive+biggest thing on the menu.

I think he just misses being a chef and likes to show off and see people enjoy his food once in a while, but we'd all be perfectly happy if he toned it down a bit. I love my family and all but I think I might draw a line at getting up at ~3 in the morning and cooking/preparing until dinner time, even if it was only 2-3 times a year.

(not a peeve, just an additional thing that can make holiday meals a little awkward sometimes)

You just described my dad. He does a cookout where he rolls out fried chicken, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, smoked fish, basically as many things as he can fit in a smoker.

They don't have tons of friends in town and most of my family lives out of town too. So basically it's like a dozen people at most eating for a restaurant's output.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did your parents grow up poor? My dad did so now that he has money he orders or makes a ton of food.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Did your parents grow up poor? My dad did so now that he has money he orders or makes a ton of food.

Poorer than he is now, I guess. I think he just likes doing it. He does a repeat performance (albeit with cheaper food since it's funded by donations) at his church when they have their free holiday dinners. I can't imagine why he likes being in a hot kitchen for upwards of 12 hours nonstop, but :shrug:

A legitimate peeve I guess about his cooking obsession is when he's in the zone, you are going to get shouted at if you even step in to the kitchen for 10 seconds to get a drink or something. He really hates when people are potentially going to be in his way. I think that's more because my stepmom incessantly tries to "help" him until he gets to the irritable breaking point where he snaps at everyone who comes in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Related pet peeve; if you want me there 15 minutes early to do that stuff then schedule me 15 minutes early and loving pay me.
Absolutely. If you're being paid to start at 9 then you should be at your desk at 9. But if you need to boot up the computer and log in and that takes five minutes because the system's old and slow, well, that's part of your job and you need to be paid for it. If they want that done before nine they can pay you to get in earlier. Be at work early enough that you can start exactly when you're supposed to, but don't work for free, even for a minute.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the job I was talking about where you were expected to be 15 minutes early would pay you from 645-7. Schedule said 7, but you were paid to be in early.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

My friend does that but with alcohol and soda.

Every gathering we go to he'll offer to make us drinks and he'll use super tall glasses and fill at least half of it with alcohol. Drinks a ton of coke too.

When I asked him why he kept doing it because I felt guilty for always drinking his stuff it was because when he was a kid he was poor and they could barely afford coke and other snacks.

Now he's super overweight and probably has diabetes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, a lot really depends on the nature of the job, too. If you're doing shift work or something and there's someone who can't leave til you get there, drat well be on loving time.*

If you're in an office job where no one's depending on you being there at *exactly* 8 AM or whatever (so no meetings scheduled then, you're not part of a call center where you not being there on the dot means more work for someone else, etc), then the equation's a little different and only a jackass would complain if that turned out to be 8:05 sometimes**. And if you're on salary in such a position (or worse, salary exempt), then gently caress you and your "linear time".

___
*My roommate used to work at a convenience store, and it was generally understood there by everyone (including her) that most people would show up about 15-20 minutes late for their shift. And that's fine, if everyone's fine with it. And then there was the one guy for whom 15-20 minutes often escalated into 2-3 hours. By the time I'd moved in here, this place was basically on borrowed time before the landowner tore it down to build some lovely apartment complex, so as long as the lights stayed on at all, management didn't give a poo poo, but goddamn did it drive her up the wall.

**There are, of course, a lot of jackasses in corporate as there are in all walks of life.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Everyone in Indiana pronounces jalapeņo as jalapeeno and I can't take it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The Moon Monster posted:

No we don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

I have the misfortune to be in Tennessee and while every mexican restaurant I've been to has been wonderful, they seem to be fighting a losing battle by having a pronunciation guide on all the menus that nobody reads. Tortilla isn't a hard word to say, assholes :argh: