Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not Operator posted:

because they keep calling her an eight year old boy and a living goblin.

then you get to the episode with an uncomfortable amount of fisting talk

Not Operator posted:

It's incredibly funny, but keep it in your earphones at all times.

this is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Between this chatter and dave plugging the podcast as "it's super gross and i hate it" I am now officially compelled to see what you all are talking about (unbelievably, it is on itunes)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Between this chatter and dave plugging the podcast as "it's super gross and i hate it" I am now officially compelled to see what you all are talking about (unbelievably, it is on itunes)

it's the only hyperobscene comedy podcast i'm aware of with a standing offer that you can personally email the host if you have an eating disorder and need someone to talk to

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

it's the only hyperobscene comedy podcast i'm aware of with a standing offer that you can personally email the host if you have an eating disorder and need someone to talk to

I feel like Chris Gethard would respond if you emailed him about that but his podcasts aren't hyperobscene, so this tracks

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
bigsofttitty.png, or Tom Walker and Demi Lardner are loving and Want You to Know It

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Chongus is incredible slang for dick holy poo poo Australia

As a lifelong Australian I'm just gonna put it out there that I had never heard the word until I started listening to these folks podcasts.
Obviously, it felt right immediately though.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Roach Warehouse posted:

As a lifelong Australian I'm just gonna put it out there that I had never heard the word until I started listening to these folks podcasts.
Obviously, it felt right immediately though.

To build on this, there's an episode of FTAGH where they're talking about legally changing your name and the guest (Cameron James?) says "What if your name sounds rude but isn't? Like 'Gerald Chongus'?"

It might very well be vernacular that's specific to this one social circle, but is so perfect that you immediately know what it's supposed to mean

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jim Sterling says Chungus a lot, maybe it's a British thing? I've only heard it from these podcasts and him.

Thread is now the weird slang chat thread

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I love that Dave has been super chill about DMing ever since the session where he got really drunk and ripped the gently caress out of Hing as guest DM

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just started listening to D&D Is For Nerds (same podcast network as bigsofttitty.png), and it really puts into perspective just how much Dave pulls his punches in Dragon Friends.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

I just started listening to D&D Is For Nerds (same podcast network as bigsofttitty.png), and it really puts into perspective just how much Dave pulls his punches in Dragon Friends.

Any good? I'm rapidly approaching the last of the Dragon Friends content that exists (I'm watching the board game streams now, which are actually more fun to watch than I expected) and apparently I'm the type of person who needs a casual D&D podcast to fill a hole in my life

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
D&D Is For Nerds is a bit of a mixed bag. As somebody who plays D&D, I would absolutely hate playing with Adam as my DM. However, the "watching morons commit to unforced errors in spades" element is pretty much the name of the game, and Adam has zero qualms with killing the PCs over it.

For other D&D podcasts to recommend, here's my list:

- Dungeon Rats (cast is mostly improvisers, players relish in being stupid, encounters are submitted by listeners, just skip episode 3)
- Waterdeep Mountain High (a little shaky since it's only a few episodes in, has a live audience like DF, gloriously stupid premise)
- Not Another D&D Podcast (very similar energy to TAZ, players are silly without being excessively stupid)
- Dumb-Dumbs & Dragons (crudeness that rivals DF, DM writes strong and integrated stories like TAZ, be prepared for fart jokes that get old quickly)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The turnaround to dunking on Tom in this character description from #4.11 is pretty fantastic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish Tom was just part of the regular cast, he’s amazing. But that would make the group a little large for a manageable d&d podcast, and I imagine he has his own stuff going on or whatever

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Dragon Friends are going to be on another official WotC show

I don't know how they managed to do it, but I'm not complaining

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

The Dragon Friends are going to be on another official WotC show

I don't know how they managed to do it, but I'm not complaining

This is well timed news, I was just getting bummed about being out of content.

Also yeah it’s bonkers that they keep getting to do this, considering....everything about them. But this is good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is well timed news, I was just getting bummed about being out of content.

Also yeah it’s bonkers that they keep getting to do this, considering....everything about them. But this is good

I can't wait to see how they horribly screw up this heist for other groups involved.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Can't wait for the group that follows Dragon Friends to say "What does 'Freezo has a very normal chongus' mean?"

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Okay, says here... the Dwarven guards have all unionised and won't help you unless you sign up, the Prince who sent you the invite has been melted by a witch bolt, someone stole his crown, and there's.. it says "squirt - Sorry Greg" - all over the floor.

What do you do?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does this mean that subsequent groups have to inherit character voices for NPCs too? Because this is a power that Ben cannot be trusted with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'so ALL the guards sound like Snagglepuss? ALL of them? The gently caress happened here...'

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Baller Ina posted:

bigsofttitty.png, or Tom Walker and Demi Lardner are loving and Want You to Know It

lmao they mention that dungeon dave sent them a screenshot of this post in the new episode

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

eke out posted:

lmao they mention that dungeon dave sent them a screenshot of this post in the new episode

One of them is probably also a goon.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Testekill posted:

Considering Benny is from the Axis of Awesome and Jordan (she played the Paladin in Season 1) at least is a confirmed goon (Cataphract was her official account when she posted) I wouldn't be surprised if a fair portion of the group are goons.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Testekill posted:

Dungeon Dave has posted in this thread before. Hi Dungeon Dave!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

Dungeon Dave has posted in this thread before. Hi Dungeon Dave!

I like your podcast dave

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Eat my whole freaking butt, Dungeon Dave.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Dave, tell Ben congratulations and he should name his kid Bonathan or he's a coward.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

eke out posted:

hot drat, its my fifteen milliseconds

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Not Operator posted:

Dave, tell Ben congratulations and he should name his kid Precious Stupid Bonathan or he's a coward.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm posting without reading the whole thread because I just picked up the show a few days ago and while I found the first couple of episodes kind of shaky (mostly because the music was often over-bearingly loud) I'm already nearing the end of season two and absolutely loving it but read the first two pages and saw some stuff about newer episodes so I want to wait till I catch up before I read more. That said, I do have a question I'm curious about and posting in the hopes of a quick answer of before I duck back out of the thread for a few days.

Freezo mentions at one point in season two that he got a load of pants (including his gold stripper pants), that it cost 500 gold and thinks his magic sword might have got cloned and I don't recall anything about that in the previous episode so I'm just wondering was there a bit of "off camera" gameplay where it happened or something. Possibly I just missed it though, since I've listened to a few bits while doing other things and not paying full attention. Regardless, kind of curious what the story is behind those parts since it's the one thing I don't recall being explained in game.

Also, Philge is a treasure and hearing the sheer frustration in Dave's voice as his carefully laid plans are shredded in seconds by the silliness of the idiots around him is amazing. Him snapping when Strahd first speaks with Snagglepuss' voice and just refusing it was one of the best moment so far.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 17, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The masterwork stripper pants was in the episode where Hing came back only to discover that Ben had completely destroyed his character sheet. I don't remember exactly how it went down, but basically the other three went off to investigate something else, and Hing did his thing where he just declares he does something and rules it canon, the result being that he found golden masterwork stripper pants. Dave most likely let it slide because what on earth is Freezo going to do with masterwork stripper pants

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

I'm posting without reading the whole thread because I just picked up the show a few days ago and while I found the first couple of episodes kind of shaky (mostly because the music was often over-bearingly loud) I'm already nearing the end of season two and absolutely loving it but read the first two pages and saw some stuff about newer episodes so I want to wait till I catch up before I read more. That said, I do have a question I'm curious about and posting in the hopes of a quick answer of before I duck back out of the thread for a few days.

Freezo mentions at one point in season two that he got a load of pants (including his gold stripper pants), that it cost 500 gold and thinks his magic sword might have got cloned and I don't recall anything about that in the previous episode so I'm just wondering was there a bit of "off camera" gameplay where it happened or something. Possibly I just missed it though, since I've listened to a few bits while doing other things and not paying full attention. Regardless, kind of curious what the story is behind those parts since it's the one thing I don't recall being explained in game.

Also, Philge is a treasure and hearing the sheer frustration in Dave's voice as his carefully laid plans are shredded in seconds by the silliness of the idiots around him is amazing. Him snapping when Strahd first speaks with Snagglepuss' voice and just refusing it was one of the best moment so far.

Yeah I'm tempted to go back and re-listen to the older episodes now that I'm all caught up but boy oh boy that first season is hard to listen to sometimes; and I mean that in the most hyperliteral sense. They're still...not amazing at audio engineering but I'm glad they more or less have it figured out.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I'm tempted to go back and re-listen to the older episodes now that I'm all caught up but boy oh boy that first season is hard to listen to sometimes; and I mean that in the most hyperliteral sense. They're still...not amazing at audio engineering but I'm glad they more or less have it figured out.

Depending on when you first listened to season 1, Benny has gone back and remastered them to be mostly in line with later seasons. I don't know how bad they were originally, but aside from the missing 15 minutes of one episode, they're all fine with headphones and a finger on the volume.

And tsob, there will be a sort of continuity break during season 3, you'll know when you get there, where they started an offshoot campaign on youtube called Tomb of Annihilation. It hasn't been released on the podcast feed, and everyone gains some experience and some spells and some new lewd terms, but it's not integral to the main plot.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Patreon got updated for the first time in a while, with a bonus show guest starring Guy Montgomery

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought Philge was my favorite character, but I've only one episode to go before I'm caught up and several episodes in a row without Baston is making a hole in the show. I was going to say that the Dwarf detective he played on board the Saturnine couldn't replace Baston, but I don't even remember the character's name; just that Edan had trouble coming up with one and apparently just kept adding letters to the end to make it more fantastical so that it ended unpronounceable. Baston really was the best; I miss him. And legally distinct petit dragon Bushu. I hope they come back to rescue the others later in the season. I'd be great if Montaigne came along too, since she was fun, but given that she seems quite famous I can see why that's probably not going to happen.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
After a brief hiatus, the podcast is back: https://omny.fm/shows/dragon-friends/20180814-dragonfriends-pt1-v1

I'm always amused which episodes don't have the title in the file name.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

inthesto posted:

After a brief hiatus, the podcast is back: https://omny.fm/shows/dragon-friends/20180814-dragonfriends-pt1-v1

I'm always amused which episodes don't have the title in the file name.

Looks like they're talking about chonguses again

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
After Edan sassed Hing for not checking for danger before starting an incident, I had to make this chart:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

inthesto posted:

After Edan sassed Hing for not checking for danger before starting an incident, I had to make this chart:

this chart aged well