Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

During the Opium War someone in the chinese army suggested that they should strap explosives to monkeys and throw them onto british ships. Nineteen monkeys were purchased and put in an army base but the plan wasn't executed because no one dared to get close enough to the british war ships to throw the monkeys. After the chinese army was defeated there were no one to take care of the monkeys and they died of starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

that is neat. i panned to the right to see more of australia and waited a few seconds for the rest of the map to load before i realised i was being dumb

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

that is neat. i panned to the right to see more of australia and waited a few seconds for the rest of the map to load before i realised i was being dumb

You need EU4 for that mapmode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Probably lost to the ages but man I could totally dig looking at some native trade routes and relationships around the world.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Alhazred posted:

During the Opium War someone in the chinese army suggested that they should strap explosives to monkeys and throw them onto british ships. Nineteen monkeys were purchased and put in an army base but the plan wasn't executed because no one dared to get close enough to the british war ships to throw the monkeys. After the chinese army was defeated there were no one to take care of the monkeys and they died of starvation.

Thanks, O pium.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Alhazred posted:

I think this is what the kids mean when they say "thanks, i hate it."

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Alhazred posted:

Serious question, what was the perceived benefit of attaching monkeys to the explosives vs. just ... throwing explosives at the British?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

wheatpuppy posted:

Serious question, what was the perceived benefit of attaching monkeys to the explosives vs. just ... throwing explosives at the British?

A panicking monkey would be harder to catch and toss back?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wheatpuppy posted:

The monkeys would get places just tossing wouldn't.
Maybe it wouldn't be directly apparent the monkeys had explosives on them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is like the plan to strap firebombs to bats and airdrop them over cities. The idea being that the bats would seek shelter in the houses, then the bombs would go off, and cause more damage than if they were dropped normally. They stuck the bats in the fridge to make them hibernate, stuck bombs on them, dropped them out of planes...and the bats didn't wake up, and thus couldn't fly.

More details

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The monkeys might behave more like the Soviet bomb dogs that were more interested in chilling under Soviet tanks than Nazi tanks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did they also plan to label the monkeys 1-16 and 18-20 because I hear that works every tine

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

wheatpuppy posted:

They really hated monkeys?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

There is a myth about the very real Olga of Kiev where she the used pigeons received as tribute from her enemies as biological homing missles.

quote:

Now Olga gave to each soldier in her army a pigeon or a sparrow, and ordered them to attach by thread to each bird a piece of sulfur bound with small pieces of cloth. When night fell, Olga bade her soldiers release the pigeons and the sparrows. So the birds flew to their nests, the pigeons to the cotes, and the sparrows under the eaves. The dove-cotes, the coops, the porches, and the haymows were set on fire. There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames because all the houses caught on fire at once. The people fled from the city, and Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them. Thus she took the city and burned it, and captured the elders of the city. Some of the other captives she killed, while some she gave as slaves to her followers. The remnant she left to pay tribute.

Such Fun has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Aug 24, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That's nothing. Here's what the much-maligned B.F. Skinner got up to with a few birds:

quote:

During World War II, Project Pigeon (later Project Orcon, for "organic control") was American behaviorist B.F. Skinner's attempt to develop a pigeon-controlled guided bomb.

The testbed was the same National Bureau of Standards-developed, unpowered airframe that was later used for the US Navy's radar-guided "Bat" glide bomb, which was basically a small glider, with wings and tail surfaces, an explosive warhead section in the center, and a "guidance section" in the nose cone. The intent was to train pigeons to act as "pilots" for the device, using their cognitive abilities to recognize the target. The guidance system consisted of three lenses mounted in the nose of the vehicle, which projected an image of the target on a screen mounted in a small compartment inside the nose cone. This screen was mounted on pivots, and fitted with sensors that measured any angular movement.

One to three pigeons, trained by operant conditioning to recognize the target, were stationed in front of the screen; when they saw the target, they would peck at the screen with their beaks. As long as the target remained in the center of the screen, the screen would not move, but if the bomb began to go off track, the image would move towards the edge of the screen. The pigeons would follow the image, pecking at it, which would move the screen on its pivots.

The sensors would detect the movement and send signals to the control surfaces, which would steer the bomb in the direction the screen had moved. As the bomb swung back towards the target, the pigeons would again follow the image, bringing the screen back to the centered position again. In that way, the pigeons would correct any deviations in the course and keep the bomb on its glide path.

Early electronic guidance systems use similar methods, only with electronic signals and processors replacing the birds in detecting the target and preventing deviation from the glide path.

The National Defense Research Committee saw the idea to use pigeons in glide bombs as very eccentric and impractical, but still contributed $25,000 to the research. Skinner, who had some success with the training, complained "our problem was no one would take us seriously." The program was canceled on October 8, 1944, because the military believed that "further prosecution of this project would seriously delay others which in the minds of the Division have more immediate promise of combat application."

Project Pigeon was revived by the Navy in 1948 as "Project Orcon"; it was cancelled in 1953 when the reliability of electronic guidance systems was proven.
To me the astonishing fact is that it actually worked pretty well.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

During WWII the Soviets trained dogs to run towards tanks by hiding food under them and starving the dogs, the idea being that they'd strap explosives to the poor beasts and use them to blow up enemy tanks.

The trouble was that they trained them on Soviet tanks that weren't running, so the dogs either ran to friendly tanks and blew them up or got scared by the noise of the guns and ran to friendly soldiers and blew them up.

That's such an evil scheme that they kinda deserved to have it backfire.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
But in an alternate reality there are 100s of hero dog statues everywhere so it kind of evens out

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

verbal enema posted:

But in an alternate reality there are 100s of hero dog statues everywhere so it kind of evens out
They should've trained a bunch of dogs of all varieties to "sic Hitler" and then turned 'em loose in Germany.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nessus posted:

That's nothing. Here's what the much-maligned B.F. Skinner got up to with a few birds:
To me the astonishing fact is that it actually worked pretty well.

The birds achieved up to 80% accuracy in simulators.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...centage&f=false

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

The birds achieved up to 80% accuracy in simulators.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...centage&f=false
If Skinner had lived a generation earlier we would have absolutely had bird missiles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

If Skinner had lived a generation earlier we would have absolutely had bird missiles

Read that as Principal Skinner.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Read that as Principal Skinner.

The ultimate recipe for Steamed Pigeon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is like the plan to strap firebombs to bats and airdrop them over cities. The idea being that the bats would seek shelter in the houses, then the bombs would go off, and cause more damage than if they were dropped normally. They stuck the bats in the fridge to make them hibernate, stuck bombs on them, dropped them out of planes...and the bats didn't wake up, and thus couldn't fly.

More details

I've heard all sorts of things about the efficacy (including that they were actually worked better than typical incendiaries) of the bat bombs and it's kinda my favorite weird ww2 fact.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

More details

Since this project was classified, but they needed to track down all the bats so the recovery guys had to ask vague poo poo like "have you seen anything odd lately?" Which got them irritated replies from locals along the lines of "well, I've got rafters full of agitated bats with a bunch of bullshit strapped to them, does that count?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In september 1939 the National Air Raid Precautions Animals Committee issued a pamphlet where they advised pet owners to either evacuate their pets to the countryside or euthanize them. The reason for that was because they feared air raids would make the animals panic or cause starvation as the pet owners would either share their food rations with their pets or leave them to starve to death. This lead to thousands of pet owners to go to their vets to have them euthanize their pets. There were so many that the vets started to run out of chloroform and they had to start with mass gassing of the pets. There were such huge amount of dead pets that they couldn't cremate them and they started putting them in mass graves. So many cats were killed that the authorities started to worry that the rat population would increase. One zoo killed all their animals. All in all over 750 000 pets were killed in what was known as the Great British Pet Massacre.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jesus Christ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So much for that myth about the Nazis and animal welfare.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That fact wasn't fun at all! Are all your historical facts about killing animals??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nessus posted:

That fact wasn't fun at all! Are all your historical facts about killing animals??

This better? A royal declaration from 1722:

To the by Friedrichsburg Castle residing eight swans, the king has, in his mercy, granted every 8th day one bushel of oats, which shall be delivered from November 1st until the following Ultimo Aprilis (April 31st).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Alhazred posted:

In september 1939 the National Air Raid Precautions Animals Committee issued a pamphlet where they advised pet owners to either evacuate their pets to the countryside or euthanize them. The reason for that was because they feared air raids would make the animals panic or cause starvation as the pet owners would either share their food rations with their pets or leave them to starve to death. This lead to thousands of pet owners to go to their vets to have them euthanize their pets. There were so many that the vets started to run out of chloroform and they had to start with mass gassing of the pets. There were such huge amount of dead pets that they couldn't cremate them and they started putting them in mass graves. So many cats were killed that the authorities started to worry that the rat population would increase. One zoo killed all their animals. All in all over 750 000 pets were killed in what was known as the Great British Pet Massacre.

What's also interesting is how this story was more or less quietly swept under the rug afterwards, both because nobody wants to think too much about the time they sent Ruff the family dog into the gas chamber but also because this episode didn't exactly fit in with Britain's self-image of a nation stiff-upper-lip'ing itself through this unpleasant war business.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I disagree.

Euthanising pets because you thought it was necessary and not thinking too much about it afterwards is very stiff upper lip.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo they shoulda ate the pets, thatd counterweight wartime rationing big time

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

You just KNOW Churchill munched down on some giraffe in his bunker.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I disagree.

Euthanising pets because you thought it was necessary and not thinking too much about it afterwards is very stiff upper lip.

The pet massacre was pretty much caused by hysteria though. It wasn't really necessary and some people protested by trying to save as many pets as they could. Battersea Dogs & Cats Home for example managed to save 145 000....dogs and cats.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

System Metternich posted:

What's also interesting is how this story was more or less quietly swept under the rug afterwards, both because nobody wants to think too much about the time they sent Ruff the family dog into the gas chamber but also because this episode didn't exactly fit in with Britain's self-image of a nation stiff-upper-lip'ing itself through this unpleasant war business.

Forgotten Weapons covered the Greener Humane Horse Killer, which was a British Army tool for euthanizing wounded horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zi4FXCSgDw

Ian mentions that it's shaped for the horse's head so only the bullet hits the skull without the muzzle blast, because pressing the barrel directly against its head would be...messy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't want to euthanize an animal, though,

You want to DESTROY it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

THIS SICK GUN IS THE ULTIMATE TOOL OF ABSOLUTE HORSE OBLITERATION.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Platystemon posted:

I disagree.

We must meet this threat with our courage, our valor, indeed with our very lives to ensure that British civilization, not domestic pets, dominates this isle *now and always*!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ariong posted:

THIS SICK GUN IS THE ULTIMATE TOOL OF ABSOLUTE HORSE OBLITERATION.

So it's made of bees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Decrepus posted:

We must meet this threat with our courage, our valor, indeed with our very lives to ensure that British civilization, not domestic pets, dominates this isle *now and always*!

Strange 14 words, these