Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont care about the f-keys because they're too hard to press anyhow so i dont use them and remap them to things that are easier to press. getting rid of the f-keys honestly makes sense to me, they're a relic and anything that relies on an f key should come up with a better keybinding.

i would like a keyboard that isn't garbage and a price point that isn't garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont care about the f-keys because they're too hard to press anyhow so i dont use them and remap them to things that are easier to press. getting rid of the f-keys honestly makes sense to me, they're a relic and anything that relies on an f key should come up with a better keybinding.

i would like a keyboard that isn't garbage and a price point that isn't garbage.

bad news about the prices but the new keyboard is ok i think?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the 2016 mbp keyboard is excellent

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

ho....how?? it's so bad to type on and that's without mentioning the stickyness problem.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ho....how?? it's so bad to type on and that's without mentioning the stickyness problem.

clean your keyboard!!!1

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

do you really think people choose linux on their own computer because of money

why would they waste time with Linux if they could afford windows?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

honestly if apple doesn't release a decent laptop soon i'll be strongly considering moving to linux as my daily driver.

windows runs on non-apple hardware too so you don't need to switch to a Linux.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

sorry about all the cum in your keyboards or whatever I guess

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if the new mac mini is any good it'll be nice to not have to run a hackintosh i guess.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sorry about all the cum in your keyboards or whatever I guess

nah that's a legit issue with '16-'17 keyboards that the keys get stuck inside when butterfly mechanism ingests anything. that's why there are silicone membranes enveloping '18 keys

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ive been playing games on my linux laptop while recovering from surgery and im surprised at how about 30% of my steam library works

the 2016/2017 MBP keyboards suck, im not sure how some people havent realized that yet. they are objectively bad.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nah that's a legit issue with '16-'17 keyboards that the keys get stuck inside when butterfly mechanism ingests anything. that's why there are silicone membranes enveloping '18 keys

I'm aware but I also don't eat over my laptop to w/e. key feel is good

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the 2016 macbook pro really needs to eat a hamburger

that thing is so thin and flimsy you'd think the world had an aluminum shortage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

eh.. thin laptops are nice. you are wrong here.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol what the gently caress are you talking about

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

thin laptops are not nice when you start to sacrifice things like modular components and, you know, screws

it would be perfectly fine if they made a 13 and 15" version of the macbook for idiot executives but kept the older unibody design for people who want large batteries and actual functioning keyboard and cooling solutions

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ah so it doesn't pass your arbitrary checklist. thank you for explaining.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the keyboard is fine, i'm typing on it right now

lol at nerds who can't just be fine with their preferences, they absolutely must be objectively correct about everything

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

enjoy your expensive paperweights in a year or two i guess? :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mac users don't need or want functionality so its ok if the keyboard doesn't work or it overheats constantly because they aren't actually going to use it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

enjoy your expensive paperweights in a year or two i guess? :shrug:

lol this thing has already outlived several "superior" surface pros but please go buy some of those instead

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the real reason i'm upset is that i'm still using my mid-2010 macbook pro because i don't want to replace it with something worse

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

2016 15" MBP is Extremely Good but I'm sure a 2010 is fine too. This thing will probably last me 7 years if the batteries hold out well enough

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
plz dont troll in the yospos

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1033009341777887232

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gentoo has no users, film at eleven

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe they reverted to the "correct" killall behavior and they couldn't post about it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
who even uses killall, kill worked just fine in V7 and works just fine today

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I finally figured out a workaround for an issue I've been having with my USB Blaster programmer on Arch linux.

Quartus comes with a jtagd server that communicates to the USB device and over IP to a client, usually something running in Quartus. In Arch, after many hours of loving around and googling, I figured out that it would only work when jtagd is run with an undocumented '--foreground' option. I only found this option because it was mentioned on some guy's plaintext blog that I found after running an strace on jtagd and searching on some of the USB ioctl names + altera jtagd.

Luckily Quartus launches the jtagd binary through a script, so my workaround was to change the final line of the launch script from basically

${jtagdcmd}
to
${jtagdcmd} --foreground &

Oh yeah and the other half of this is that it actually worked fine out of the box on a Fedora VM.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ok

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eschaton posted:

who even uses killall, kill worked just fine in V7 and works just fine today

I use pkill op

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Shaggar posted:

why would they waste time with Linux if they could afford windows?

People still pay for windows?

edit:

code:
pskill()
{
    local pid=$(ps ax | grep -i $1 | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}')

echo -n "killing $1..."
    kill -9 $pid
    echo "slaughtered"
}

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 24, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ewe2 posted:

People still install windows?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

ewe2 posted:

edit:

code:
pskill()
{

echo -n "killing $1..."
    kill -9 $pid
    echo "slaughtered"
}

nice dumb rear end code that cant be used to kill grep, and will almost certainly kill the wrong thing if you use it to try to kill `sl`

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ewe2 posted:

People still pay for windows?

edit:

code:
pskill()
{

echo -n "killing $1..."
    kill -9 $pid
    echo "slaughtered"
}

This is very bad.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

nice dumb rear end code that cant be used to kill grep, and will almost certainly kill the wrong thing if you use it to try to kill `sl`

Congratulations, you're the dumbest poster :v:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ewe2 posted:

Congratulations, you're the dumbest poster :v:

apparently some old version of bash used to ship with that alias? okay?? doesn't make it any less stupid

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

apparently some old version of bash used to ship with that alias? okay?? doesn't make it any less stupid

Omg what a precious puddle :D Do tell us all the terrible times you had to kill grep and "s1"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Shut the gently caress up