Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Women love bad books so of course they would like dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would actually be kind of neat if the prequels were like a thousand years prior and oh yeah in that period the Harkonnens were OK and the Atreides were dicks.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Unpopular opinion: Even the original Dune isn't all that great and hasn't aged well and is basically just a product of the drug fueled hippy times in the 60s. A future with no computers where people take mind expanding drugs instead is something a hippy would come up with. Feudalism and people being super religious in the future is also kinda dumb. Also Star Wars is a better film adaptation of Dune than the actual Dune movie. Oh and all of the sequels to Dune are terrible and not worth anyones time, and the prequels by his son are even worse. Come at me bro.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 24, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Unpopular opinion: Even the original Dune isn't all that great and hasn't aged well and is basically just a product of the drug fueled hippy times in the 60s. A future with no computers where people take mind expanding drugs instead is something a hippy would come up with. Feudalism and people being super religious in the future is also kinda dumb. Also Star Wars is a better film adaptation of Dune than the actual Dune movie. Oh and all of the sequels to Dune are terrible and not worth anyones time, and the prequels by his son are even worse. Come at me bro.

bitter sardaukar itt

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dick Fagballzson posted:

This isn't a good look, Brian. You get like this when you and Kevin are out drinking and you go back to his place to "collaborate".

Jealousy is a green-eyed monster. Please do not try and sabotage the movie.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

This was so weird that I was kind of stalled out on “why did this happen” for a little bit and then I figured out that he was hoping it would make people mad. So weird I was taken back to pre-2000 levels of struggling with what people want from the internet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dick Fagballzson posted:

if u say so

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

source you are quotes

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

It would actually be kind of neat if the prequels were like a thousand years prior and oh yeah in that period the Harkonnens were OK and the Atreides were dicks.

I thought he meant the Butlerian Jihad books, where this is true, at least for the main characters by those names. Those take place 11,000 years prior and the Atreides guy is the one who goes on a bloody jihad, torching hundreds of inhabited planets and killing countless billions in order to... oh. Ohhhh.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

You may be thinking of the part in Chapterhouse where two Bene Gesserit with Other Memory take a pause in their discussion to bitch at each other about LIBERALS.

Chapterhouse is so clearly written by an old man. There is a scene about a tour bus, heavy references to gardening, a page on how to make clam chowder, and a rant about do nothing bureaucrats and liberals

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's really wrong. It sounds like you've got some kind of issue with hippie culture and I get that, but your assessment of the book is insanely wrong, but i'd buy a beer with you and then break the bottle over your head for having it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

Chapterhouse is so clearly written by an old man. There is a scene about a tour bus, heavy references to gardening, a page on how to make clam chowder, and a rant about do nothing bureaucrats and liberals

In fairness, he contrasts conservatives as "people who are terrified of change" and as "fools".

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frank's been taking asides to poo poo on left-right politics since Dune itself. Not really Old Man Herbert stuff so much.

The weird sex poo poo in heretics and chapterhouse, however, is entirely Old Man Herbert.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
People gonna be religious as gently caress in the future. Religion is human, this is not going to evaporate off in the blistering, blinding light of Reason. Space Jesus gonna come and save me by the light of the moons gently caress the heathens. Fuckin forget jeebuses of all kinds, we need to legit smash all machine thought now and forever.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The sex stuff was weird but drat so were the books themselves. The main part that makes me read them again every so often in spite of :words: is that the worlds that he conceives are just so alien. It melds together pretty nicely and you can be sitting outside near a body of water on a sunny day and feel that this world he is describing could come to be right in your presence. He rambles at times, but the emotion of his writing mixed with the descriptions... It's easy to see why he's had so many imitators.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sex Weirds are, imo, Bad, and make things that have these weird shits in them irritating to digest.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

The weird sex poo poo in heretics and chapterhouse, however, is entirely Old Man Science Fiction Author.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is there weird sex stuff in the prequels?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is there weird sex stuff in the prequels?

The brains in jars that pilot huge robots around gently caress.

No that isn't a joke and its far more awkward than it sounds.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The brains in jars that pilot huge robots around gently caress.

No that isn't a joke and its far more awkward than it sounds.
Like... cybersex? Or...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
At that point just zap the horny neurons with volts these sexual robots disgust me with their decadence

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No wonder they got jihaded, spending all this time having hyper sex like turbo animals

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Machine sex is worse than machine thinking, when taking human dignity into account. Prove me wrong.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
early into chapterhouse again and completely forgot about the jews who have totally been the bgs best kept secret forever who the bg would totally die for and not just a random addition to the story guys

also the first jew they rely on sells them out for money because of course loving of course frank jfc

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Is there wormsign

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

early into chapterhouse again and completely forgot about the jews who have totally been the bgs best kept secret forever who the bg would totally die for and not just a random addition to the story guys

also the first jew they rely on sells them out for money because of course loving of course frank jfc

They sell them out? I thought they just store a billion BG souls in their brain and live in a No-egg for a full year.

I remember trying to drunkenly explain the plot of Dune to a friend of mine and towards the end I just said "....and I forget why but then the Jews show up for some reason? They don't really accomplish anything" and it was humorous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like Dune would get a lot more credit for being that sci-fi novel starring a psychic MILF.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

In fairness, he contrasts conservatives as "people who are terrified of change" and as "fools".

Sure but explain the rest

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

Sure but explain the rest

We're talking about a guy who campaigned for Kennedy and then for Nixon. It would be hard to categorize him in the rigid terms of modern American politics. I've heard people call him libertarian but a) libertarians are stupid and b) unless we're talking about French dudes in wigs 200 years ago, libertarian just means republican.

So my guess is as good as anyone's.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Eva Green as Jessica Atreides plz

It's all I want. Make it happen, Denis, youweirdo, you goddamn motherfucker

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Eva Green as Jessica Atreides plz

It's all I want. Make it happen, Denis, youweirdo, you goddamn motherfucker

drat that’s a brilliant choice.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Scored the extended edition of the Lynch Dune movie for $1 today, gonna take some spice and check it out

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

priznat posted:

drat that’s a brilliant choice.

a fellow goon friend and I thought it up like 10 years ago and it's true to this day, even moreso because of the way she's aged

do it, Denis! you bastard.

and then pay me money for my good idea

SOMEBODTY TWEET THE DIRECTOR FOR ME, I DON'T HAVE THE BIRD NOISE APP

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah 10 years ago she’d be a little young but now she’s the perfect age at 38.

Gillian Anderson would be another good choice, speaking of actresses who have aged amazingly.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

We're talking about a guy who campaigned for Kennedy and then for Nixon. It would be hard to categorize him in the rigid terms of modern American politics. I've heard people call him libertarian but a) libertarians are stupid and b) unless we're talking about French dudes in wigs 200 years ago, libertarian just means republican.

So my guess is as good as anyone's.

I meant less the politics than his choice to write about a bus trip to the sea

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

priznat posted:

Yah 10 years ago she’d be a little young but now she’s the perfect age at 38.

Gillian Anderson would be another good choice, speaking of actresses who have aged amazingly.

Gillian Anderson as Lady Jessica is actually on the “dream casting” IMDB page.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000201/

E: 110% on board with Liam Neeson as Kynes make it happen Villeneuve :swoon:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

FutonForensic posted:

Is there wormsign

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Duncan