Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Harime Nui posted:

It seemed really weird to me that a planet would be called "bight," even if its only notable feature was a spaceport (so there'd be some logic in that a bight is almost synonymous with a safe harbor). Luckily Wookiepedia clears this up in the very first line of its article:

Cantonica! Home of the long-vanished civilization of the Narcoleps!

are you suggesting that "Cantonica" too closely resembles "catatonia" ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
And Jeddah sounds like cheddar if you're english. I'm here all night folks!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Captain Splendid posted:

"Scarif" was easier to come up with.

Gareth Edwards ordered a coffee at Starbucks.

I wish I was lying

Idgi

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Like the server dude didn't understand him properly when he said 'It's gareth' and wrote scarif on his cup? But I dunno for sure.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
WTf is Abrams going to do with Episode IX. where do you go

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
All we can be certain of is it will suck balls

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The remaining rebels will crash land the falcon outside canto bite, before making their way into the black market underworld in search of some spare parts. Unable to obtain them they will end up sponsoring a local boy to spacehorse race for their freedom. Against all the odds he will fall at the first hurdle and become crippled. Rey will then fix the spaceship anyway and lightsabre some badies and then a parade.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Early leak/sneak stuff suggests endor is in this one, right? So I'm going to take a wild guess they lure kyle into a trap there, or there is some macguffin piece of the death star that crashed there that they need to get, or etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Early leak/sneak stuff suggests endor is in this one, right? So I'm going to take a wild guess they lure kyle into a trap there, or there is some macguffin piece of the death star that crashed there that they need to get, or etc.

If Endor is in the final location of the new trilogy were beyond creatively bankrupt and well into creative lost decade

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Forget it Jake, it's JJtown

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
going to endor to search crashed death star wreckage was originally going to be in TFA lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

going to endor to search crashed death star wreckage was originally going to be in TFA lol

This would be super sweet, but only if the village got smooshed by decks 378-775

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Glove of Darth Vader?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even if they're just using it as a base while they're on the run or something, that idea is also stolen from some particularly lovely legends novels lol

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Angry Salami posted:

I can’t believe how much I want this to happen

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

no i think that literally started itt and only because they were filming in a forest area

like lol it could be some forest on Corelia for all we know wtf

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Angry Salami posted:

I read that one as a kid. With some three-eyed admiral dude or w/e. It was mega lame

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It can't be Endor, because there's no way the trees would be that green and healthy after the Ewok Holocaust.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

If Endor is in the final location of the new trilogy were beyond creatively bankrupt and well into creative lost decade

Regardless, loads of people - including a very sizeable proportion of people who didn't like TLJ, I imagine - will lap that kind of thing up because it's "fanservice" which proves that Abrams, unlike Kennedy, "respects the fandom". I think that people genuinely just want to see the same thing they've seen a million times before. More people than not would be happy if they just remade the OT forever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It'd be cool to see Korriban or something of that nature.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They changed its name in the Clone Wars cartoon. It's called "Moraband" now or something like that.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's so evil it's Mordor and Angband in one :ohdear:

Captain Splendid posted:

"Scarif" was easier to come up with.

Gareth Edwards ordered a coffee at Starbucks.

I wish I was lying

Starbucks people are notoriously good at coming up with names though. Still laughing at that time they called my friend "Potis", lmao!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mooey Cow posted:

It's so evil it's Mordor and Angband in one :ohdear:

Also moribund.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Please no Yub Nub 2.0 at the end of IX, JJ Abrams.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yub Nub was better than the instrumental they replaced it with in the special edition.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Endor being in the last one is a joke I would say to disparage the sequel trilogy

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yub Nub was better than the instrumental they replaced it with in the special edition.

What the gently caress. I loved that song so much I made up my own lyrics to it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Question Friend posted:

Endor being in the last one is a joke I would say to disparage the sequel trilogy

Pretty sure this is one of those "love letter to the fans" (:barf:) deals which Abrams has said "is going to tie all three trilogies together" (:shrug:) which is why my suggestion that Kylo will go to Naboo, meet elderly Jar-Jar and bring Padme back to life is only half in jest.There is a better than zero chance that they'll be going to Endor because they need to salvage Death Star wreckage to build their own weapon to use against the First Order or something.

One thing I'm reasonably confident about (well, to be honest, there's only one thing I'm reasonably confident about as regards Episode IX but everyone already knows what that is and they're sick of hearing it :v:) is that it will retcon the status of Rey's parents. I don't know if one of them will be Luke but I wouldn't be surprised; Keri Russell will probably be Rey's mother who left Luke after Rey was conceived and then left her on Jakku to hide her from Snoke.

Ewan McGregor will show up as Force ghost Obi-Wan to say, "To protect you both from the Emperor Snoke, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor Snoke knew, as I your mother did. If Anakin Luke were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous." Alternatively, it'll be the same thing except Rey is actually Kylo's sister all along. And of course many of the people who slated TLJ for not doing this (to be clear; people who criticised it for this reason; not every person who criticised it - you get me?) will praise it for "respecting the fandom".

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pretty sure this is one of those "love letter to the fans" (:barf:) deals which Abrams has said "is going to tie all three trilogies together" (:shrug:) which is why my suggestion that Kylo will go to Naboo, meet elderly Jar-Jar and bring Padme back to life is only half in jest.There is a better than zero chance that they'll be going to Endor because they need to salvage Death Star wreckage to build their own weapon to use against the First Order or something.

One thing I'm reasonably confident about (well, to be honest, there's only one thing I'm reasonably confident about as regards Episode IX but everyone already knows what that is and they're sick of hearing it :v:) is that it will retcon the status of Rey's parents. I don't know if one of them will be Luke but I wouldn't be surprised; Keri Russell will probably be Rey's mother who left Luke after Rey was conceived and then left her on Jakku to hide her from Snoke.

Ewan McGregor will show up as Force ghost Obi-Wan to say, "To protect you both from the Emperor Snoke, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor Snoke knew, as I your mother did. If Anakin Luke were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous." Alternatively, it'll be the same thing except Rey is actually Kylo's sister all along. And of course many of the people who slated TLJ for not doing this (to be clear; people who criticised it for this reason; not every person who criticised it - you get me?) will praise it for "respecting the fandom".

Yeah on the one hand it's brainlet to allow your new writer director to do anything just to retcon it later but on the other hand Johnson was obviously retconning/not doing a "yes and" if this was improv, so turnabout is fair play

The original plan was obviously to put as much fanservice as possible in the first one to get it out of the way and let fans relax into the new movies knowing that this is "real Star Wars you remember not like the prequels." But now because of the reaction to TLJ they have to do extra fanservice and predictability as damage control so it's gonna suck even bigger poo poo than it would otherwise

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's moot anyway. Nobody will go to see it. They'll all go to see the Rock in Jumanji instead.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It they "retcon" reys parentage, star wars will be beyond saving. That was one of the clear objectively great parts that was reinforcing anyone can be special, not just royalty.

Nerds not having object permanence and not being able to remember Rey said she came from nothing first isn't a reason to keep touching on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bushisms.txt posted:

It they "retcon" reys parentage, star wars will be beyond saving. That was one of the clear objectively great parts that was reinforcing anyone can be special, not just royalty.

It's an odd thing. Yes, Abrams set this up in the full knowledge that he wouldn't be the one paying it off (honestly, Abrams was an executive producer on TLJ - he could have stepped in if he was that concerned and he's still more or less the golden boy so I feel as though Kennedy or Iger or whoever probably would have listened to him), but fair enough if the pay-off it got wasn't good enough for you. I thought it was fine but more people disliked it and I understand why.

At the same time, people getting so invested in the idea that Rey was Luke's kid or Obi-Wan's grandchild or something and then getting very annoyed that she was not - people going on about how Rey not being a Skywalker or a Kenobi or whoever was one of the things they didn't like - I have to wonder if it's some especially weird reaction to one of the basic premises of the prequel trilogy that Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One, was a "nobody".

There's getting annoyed that TLJ didn't pay off TFA to your satisfaction and there's getting annoyed that Rey specifically isn't part of some Force dynasty. I think they're two different things.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 25, 2018

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
How old is Kylo supposed to be? Is there any chance they could make it so he knocked up keri russel as a teenager and he's rey's father?

That would be the best possible twist to come out of this I think

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think he's meant to be around Adam Driver's age, maybe slightly younger. Late 20s, early 30s. I haven't bothered with any of the extraneous stuff like the novels which probably sets it out, though I know he's supposed to have started training with Luke in his early 20s. Unfortunately TFA wasn't terribly clear on how long ago Luke vanished but I'd guess he's been missing maybe 5-10 years.

I think Rey is meant to be 18 in TFA/TLJ.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like the server dude didn't understand him properly when he said 'It's gareth' and wrote scarif on his cup? But I dunno for sure.

Name?

Itsgareth

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Scarif would've been a great map for the old version of Battlefront 2.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's an odd thing. Yes, Abrams set this up in the full knowledge that he wouldn't be the one paying it off (honestly, Abrams was an executive producer on TLJ - he could have stepped in if he was that concerned and he's still more or less the golden boy so I feel as though Kennedy or Iger or whoever probably would have listened to him), but fair enough if the pay-off it got wasn't good enough for you. I thought it was fine but more people disliked it and I understand why.

At the same time, people getting so invested in the idea that Rey was Luke's kid or Obi-Wan's grandchild or something and then getting very annoyed that she was not - people going on about how Rey not being a Skywalker or a Kenobi or whoever was one of the things they didn't like - I have to wonder if it's some especially weird reaction to one of the basic premises of the prequel trilogy that Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One, was a "nobody".

There's getting annoyed that TLJ didn't pay off TFA to your satisfaction and there's getting annoyed that Rey specifically isn't part of some Force dynasty. I think they're two different things.

I think people were looking forward to being surprised by a big twist, and then it turned out the twist was there was no twist. Probably they would have been fine with any explanation why she's important and has super-force, other than "just cause :shrug: ". They may focus on the parentage because f they had said she was Luke's nephew's cousin then that would explain it all.

Would have been equally uninteresting though, if it was just a line thrown in there for no real reason; "Yeah I looked up your parents. Turns out it's R2 and 3PO."

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

TLJ had plenty of twists; Snoke getting lopped in half, the vice-admiral being useful, the code breaker switching sides and all the rebel plans not set out by Luke or Leia failing miserably. Rey’s parentage didn’t even come into it because I’m a Star Wars fan but not a Raging Internet Star Wars Fan.

Snoke’s death on the other hand. It just made the whole character seem a joke, everything set up from the first movie just brushed aside with no explanation was less than great.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Why is yoda so powerful, who is he related to? Oh it doesn't matter? Just lovely fan logic that needs some elaborate explanation for why a woman is strong.

Snoke is literally an elaborate fridging, his character matters little except to further kylo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The entire plot hinges on one character. They do not matter.