Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

jit bull transpile posted:

is there any way to get Spotify to work with the alarm on ios like it does in Android? if not is there a way to import my own mp3s? I miss having a musical alarm and gently caress rebuying music I already own from Apple music.

you might be able to make a Spotify workflow in the new iOS 12 Siri shortcut app, and then maybe you can hook that up to the alarm?? I feel like this is something they wanted to make happen but no idea if it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Puppet Master posted:

unfortunately I need to buy a 2nd hand Macbook Pro because there is a piece of software that is only developed for Mac and is essential to what I do (Qlab). in your opinion how much should I pay for a mbp circa 2012/13?

they should pay you for taking away their garbage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im so pissed with the state of alarm clock apps on ios that im ready to buy a macbook just so i can code myself an alarm clock with decent feature set

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im so pissed with the state of alarm clock apps on ios that im ready to buy a macbook just so i can code myself an alarm clock with decent feature set

so alarm clocks are fundamentally an OS level feature, meaning alarm clock apps are going to be limited to doing things that apple exposes an API for

atm I am pretty sure your only options are: 1) fire off a push notification at a certain time, making your phone buzz exactly once when the notification hits (lol), 2) programatically set a Calendar alarm event (lol), or 3) programatically set a Reminders event (lol)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

GenJoe posted:

(lol), 2) programatically set a Calendar alarm event (lol), or 3) programatically set a Reminders event (lol)

ha ha, great story mark

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What’s wrong with the built-in alarm?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

edge cases

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kobayashi posted:

nothing wrong, i just don’t find it convenient or reliable

GenJoe posted:

so alarm clocks are fundamentally an OS level feature, meaning alarm clock apps are going to be limited to doing things that apple exposes an API for

atm I am pretty sure your only options are: 1) fire off a push notification at a certain time, making your phone buzz exactly once when the notification hits (lol), 2) programatically set a Calendar alarm event (lol), or 3) programatically set a Reminders event (lol)

eh there are apps that manage what i want jus fine, just with lacking ux

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the alarm I used a long while ago on Android had the option of a silent initial alarm which would then gradually fade-in to a loud alarm if you didn't clear it within however many seconds you had set. it was very nice for alarms midday where you'd probably see/hear you phone on your desk before it went to full volume but you didn't want to risk missing the single sound/buzz of a reminder or calendar notification.

it also do allowed you to mark an alarm to skip the next alarm without disabling the alarm totally and could run more than one timer at once.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's kinda funny that both this and the Android thread are full of recent complaints by people who got suckered into thinking the Mac+iOS ecosystem is any better than the alternatives.

Everything sucks! Especially your operating systems.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

James Baud posted:

It's kinda funny that both this and the Android thread are full of recent complaints by people who got suckered into thinking the Mac+iOS ecosystem is any better than the alternatives.

ios ecosystem is unquestionably better than android (or windows phone lol) ecosystem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the alarm on my windows phone works fine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GenJoe posted:

you might be able to make a Spotify workflow in the new iOS 12 Siri shortcut app, and then maybe you can hook that up to the alarm?? I feel like this is something they wanted to make happen but no idea if it works

I'm on ios+1 so I'm a try this but I can't actually tell you if it exists or worked

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

the alarm I used a long while ago on Android had the option of a silent initial alarm which would then gradually fade-in to a loud alarm if you didn't clear it within however many seconds you had set. it was very nice for alarms midday where you'd probably see/hear you phone on your desk before it went to full volume but you didn't want to risk missing the single sound/buzz of a reminder or calendar notification.

it also do allowed you to mark an alarm to skip the next alarm without disabling the alarm totally and could run more than one timer at once.

i am a very heavy sleeper so my android alarm had me pass a set of tests to deactivate it (some double-triple digit arithmetics, card memory game thing, visual pattern matching, normal 20 character captcha, countries/capitals, and just shaking the phone - all of those things at once in random sequence on each alarm). it would also fire a quiet timer a few minutes after the alarm deactivation to check if its activated, otherwise it would start right back up full throttle. and there was a toggle to enable/disable snooze.

granted, ive fixed my sleep deprivation issues, most of them at least, and i no longer require such circus to guarantee that i wake up (like the other option was setting alarm on computer speakers, which i also did frequently, that was so loud it would wake up my neighbours before me who would then crash my door). nevertheless, i really dislike the fact that i can't seemingly have an alarm that will make the watch vibrate whilst also ringing on phone (so far literally like bedtime function, yes) without options to snooze/disable it off the watch (i mean sure i can and do the water lock thing but practice shows that it'll not take me long to circumvent that or accidentally roll in my sleep in a way that causes the lock to lift), without snooze as a button in general, and that it doesn't disable itslef after like 15 puny minutes of ringing (also apple watch stops vibrating too after some time but im not quite sure, also that's debatable with battery life etc). especially when phone is on charger, for gently caress's sake. also for some reason bedtime forces you to pick between unicorn farts and rainbows of alarm sounds and you cant even have stock ios alarm sounds with it. which idiot sleeps with some lalala ignorable-tier fairy anthem poo poo

but yeah i'd also love thing such as "skip next instance of this alarm" or "ring this alarm next time an hour later"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i just set my alarm is set to go off the same time every weekday. seems to work fine 4 me.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
life hack: survive long enough such that bladder and weed cravings wake you up early enough for everything important (brunch)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ynohtna posted:

life hack: survive long enough such that bladder and weed cravings wake you up early enough for everything important (brunch)

i have occasional early flights which is my worry. at work no one gives a poo poo if i come in at 7am or 11am. i just set chains of alarms for those, but that feels like a lovely solution to me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the alarm on my iphone silences itself if i get a notification. or maybe that's a new feature in the ios 12 beta

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

could you not just make a "ringtone" that is a few seconds of silence, then a quiet tone, then louder, until full volume?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the fuckin solution is to buy the Phillips wake up light.

no better alarm in the world.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i am a very heavy sleeper so my android alarm had me pass a set of tests to deactivate it (some double-triple digit arithmetics, card memory game thing, visual pattern matching, normal 20 character captcha, countries/capitals, and just shaking the phone - all of those things at once in random sequence on each alarm). it would also fire a quiet timer a few minutes after the alarm deactivation to check if its activated, otherwise it would start right back up full throttle. and there was a toggle to enable/disable snooze.

granted, ive fixed my sleep deprivation issues, most of them at least, and i no longer require such circus to guarantee that i wake up (like the other option was setting alarm on computer speakers, which i also did frequently, that was so loud it would wake up my neighbours before me who would then crash my door). nevertheless, i really dislike the fact that i can't seemingly have an alarm that will make the watch vibrate whilst also ringing on phone (so far literally like bedtime function, yes) without options to snooze/disable it off the watch (i mean sure i can and do the water lock thing but practice shows that it'll not take me long to circumvent that or accidentally roll in my sleep in a way that causes the lock to lift), without snooze as a button in general, and that it doesn't disable itslef after like 15 puny minutes of ringing (also apple watch stops vibrating too after some time but im not quite sure, also that's debatable with battery life etc). especially when phone is on charger, for gently caress's sake. also for some reason bedtime forces you to pick between unicorn farts and rainbows of alarm sounds and you cant even have stock ios alarm sounds with it. which idiot sleeps with some lalala ignorable-tier fairy anthem poo poo

but yeah i'd also love thing such as "skip next instance of this alarm" or "ring this alarm next time an hour later"

buy a four dollar battery powered alarm clock at wally world and leave it across the room from your bed you bougie gently caress

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wulfolme posted:

buy a four dollar battery powered alarm clock at wally world and leave it across the room from your bed you bougie gently caress

yeah seriously

"here’s a million paragraphs why I can’t use the built in alarm on my phone" lol as if

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’ve heard good things about those alarm clocks that light up your room like a sunrise

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

wholeheartedly agree. an excellent clock, especially the sunset feature.

I don't use the alarm on my phone for anything but reminding me in an unmissable way that I need to leave for an appointment. which also happens to be when the "alarm silent first, then gradually louder" is the most useful and also when the bedtime feature is useless.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wulfolme posted:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah seriously

"here’s a million paragraphs why I can’t use the built in alarm on my phone" lol as if

i walked over to them, and turned them off. in sleep, unaware - for like a year straight. turns out im extremely adept at sleepwalking through furniture and miscellaneous debris deliberately placed the evening before to create as much hindrance as possible to any attempts to walk over to alarm clock.

i mean technically it was not a four dollar plastic something but a dank rear end metal thing with thundering noise, but at the time that nevertheless was questionably effective.

and no, i my phone is not within my reach when i sleep either.

tl;dr on million paragraphs is that built-in alarm on my phone turns itself off after 15 minutes and can't always wake me up in that time (and sometimes turns off for ??? reasons). what are the defaults on apple watch alarm - that i'm even afraid to ask.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

is that a special thing or just hooking hue bulbs into wifi

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is that a special thing or just hooking hue bulbs into wifi

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lomarf https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK/ref=psdc_509324_t3_B0093162RM

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

$150 alarm clock, hmm. how good that light ends up being?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you could buy an artisanal wake-up app for half that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

you could buy an artisanal wake-up app for half that

With deep regret, and heavy heart, I thusly must inform you, Kevin, that this post hath not brought me pleasure.

my entire rant was that i cant find alarm clock app i like enough not to worry "will i wake up as intended" on the infrequent occasions where my sleep schedule gets hosed and i have a morning flight

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just wake up the same time every day. have an old Sony alarm set in my bedroom but it never goes off because I wake up without it. thanks and god bless

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ive heard great things about just using your phone as an alarm like a normal person does and definitely not spending a hundred dollars on a LED that does a reverse f.lux every morning

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

With deep regret, and heavy heart, I thusly must inform you, Kevin, that this post hath not brought me pleasure.

my entire rant was that i cant find alarm clock app i like enough not to worry "will i wake up as intended" on the infrequent occasions where my sleep schedule gets hosed and i have a morning flight

don't you live in latvia? assuming you don't have an so, couldn't you hire an actual human being to just come into your house and pummel you awake the once or twice a month you need this super special wake up system? for like, pennies?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i walked over to them, and turned them off. in sleep, unaware - for like a year straight. turns out im extremely adept at sleepwalking through furniture and miscellaneous debris deliberately placed the evening before to create as much hindrance as possible to any attempts to walk over to alarm clock.

that's alarming

i mean i've always slept right through thunderstorms and even a tornado once but if i got up and turned the alarm off and laid back down on the bed i knew what i was doing

wait, i've got it

put the alarm on something too high to reach without a stool, like tape it directly onto your ceiling and to turn it off you have to get the stepladder from another room, set it up, and climb up it to reach the alarm

and then have three more alarm clocks taped to every other corner of the ceiling

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 26, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

one thread complains they can't sleep and all need drugs to go to sleep. this thread complains they can't wake up and need some weird as poo poo to do so. what is wrong with yosposters and sleep

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

one thread complains they can't sleep and all need drugs to go to sleep. this thread complains they can't wake up and need some weird as poo poo to do so. what is wrong with yosposters and sleep

blue light late at night and obsessions with coffee and other psychoactives

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if the sunrise reliably either wakes you up or makes it very easy for you to get up, it works great. if not then yeah it is an utter waste.

I find it most useful in the winter where if I get up with just an alarm I have a hard time getting productive in the morning and my wife has a difficult time getting good rest because the 5:30 sunset is so far from when we go to sleep.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I have a southeast-facing window and I just have blinds and not blackout curtains

it's nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

James Baud posted:

andoid is lol and microsoft is painfully incompetent

apple is the least bad by far