Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Recoome posted:

Guys now I am the annoying customer asking whether you take American Express

Being out of the industry is good

I've only had people ask if we take Discover.

Is it still a thing for places to not take amex or discover? I see both all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Animal-Mother posted:

People who want the sauce on the side should be beaten into submission.

That's the only bad thing about my new job, just about everything comes with at least one sauce on the side. Sampler platter gets 3 and nachos get five.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quabzor posted:

Is it still a thing for places to not take amex or discover? I see both all the time.

Amex charges restaurants more, so yes some places don't take it still. I think everywhere pretty much takes discover, it's just a much less common card.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Quabzor posted:

Yeah it is, also a lot of smaller businesses don’t take Amex due to the higher costs compared to Visa/MasterCard.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

iospace posted:

Wow, an owner that actually doesn't sweat the small stuff in terms of items and will shell out?

What country are you in?

America, shockingly. We run a real tight ship with regard to server errors and thus reduce service-side comps/costs pretty considerably. If our only service-side shrink is the occasional ten-cent straw then we're happy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

We have a wave of new, young dipshits in my area and it is the worst. 21-22 year olds who drink poo poo, try to get shitfaced in my bar, and then tip like poo poo because I tell them no, my job is not to get you shitfaced and that is a great way for me to lose my job. It started a couple months ago and has gotten worse since. My tips have plummeted and the whole version be of the restaurant has changed.

I can’t wait for football to get here so my old usual crowd starts coming back again.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Pretty sure it's your job to get me shitfaced, and it's my job to seem like I'm not shitfaced so you keep serving me.

So go ahead and give me that 151 floater on all my drinks, kthx.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I agree with CDC. It’s your job to get me housed and my job to act like an adult.

When that line crosses def cut them off though and tell them to kindly get the gently caress out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
wiki sez 151 was discontinued. Is this one of those things where there are still huge reserves of the stuff all over, or has it undergone genericide?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 26, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Several different rums have a 151 they make. Lambs certainly still makes theirs, and I think Appleton's is still around

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Amex charges restaurants more, so yes some places don't take it still. I think everywhere pretty much takes discover, it's just a much less common card.

Recoome posted:

Yeah it is, also a lot of smaller businesses don’t take Amex due to the higher costs compared to Visa/MasterCard.

Huh. I didn't know they charged different.

The places around me seem to either take all cards or no cards.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Quabzor posted:

as someone with a company amex card, yes there is still a noticeable number of businesses in all industries that don't accept it and it always happens when you need to make an emergency purchase

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Quabzor posted:

Amex is more expensive for everyone (not just restaurants) to accept (higher % per transaction and/or higher per-transaction fee), and retailers often also pay part of any points or cashback you're getting on your card. Looking at my last merchant statement I see 17 different types of fees associated with accepting cards at my shop, depending on card type, credit or debit, swiped vs chip vs online vs physical entry, etc., all at different rates. It's a goddamn mess to try and figure out what each credit card transaction actually costs you, so many businesses tend to say gently caress it and accept all of them (like us), everything except for Amex, or none at all. Once you've got a couple years of clean account history under your belt though (ie. no chargebacks or card fraud) you can usually renegotiate on a flat % across everything, and then it doesn't really matter what kind of card it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, I'm not positive on this, but I think if you use Square they handle all of that and just charge a flat % to the shop. But restaurants shouldn't use Square because its designed for running a booth at a farmer's market, not the service industry.

Its funny how much I used to hate Aloha until I had to use any other POS system.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

They'll have to add one, fire inspector won't approve use of equipment if the grease trap doesn't have proper ventilation/aeration. Ours didn't have enough, and had to be modified before we would be allowed to use the kitchens.

Whoops, turns out I was wrong - talked to one of the construction co supervisors and there's a 6" square vent that ties in to an exhaust fan. I'm suuuuure that'll take care of things, especially when the trap gets cracked open for cleaning. Afaik that's approved permit plans; not sure what code requires here.

From what I know of hotel grease traps, yours are all the size of a truck, no? You guys figure out a way to make them not smell like death?

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 26, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JawKnee posted:

Several different rums have a 151 they make. Lambs certainly still makes theirs, and I think Appleton's is still around

My bad! For some reason the wiki assigned the name to a certain brand.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just Bacardi 151. If memory serves, they wanted to get away from the image of WOO PARTY LIQUOR WOOOOO or something ismilar.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

number 1 snake fan posted:

I mean, it disproportionately effects disabled people and doesn't really do anything about plastic waste (most plastic in the ocean is from commercial fishing nets) but go off

That’s pretty terrible logic. Just because it’s not the most plastic waste in the ocean means we shouldn’t bother trying to reduce it?

My city banned plastic straws back in March and it’s been fine. It’s not a blanket ban, however. Straws are still allowed by request.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Maestro posted:

That’s pretty terrible logic. Just because it’s not the most plastic waste in the ocean means we shouldn’t bother trying to reduce it?

Greenwashing can easily displace effective efforts

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skwirl posted:

Also, I'm not positive on this, but I think if you use Square they handle all of that and just charge a flat % to the shop. But restaurants shouldn't use Square because its designed for running a booth at a farmer's market, not the service industry.

Its funny how much I used to hate Aloha until I had to use any other POS system.

Square charges a flat percentage regardless of card, yes.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Aloha is a great system I won’t lie.

It’s when you get a new owner who has questions and they charge you $150 just to take the phone call is when it’s not so good.

By the way do they do online orders now?

I would assume by now they do. Also gently caress online orders.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Quabzor posted:

Sadly it is. Amex still charges more for credit processing, so less places take it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Whoops, turns out I was wrong - talked to one of the construction co supervisors and there's a 6" square vent that ties in to an exhaust fan. I'm suuuuure that'll take care of things, especially when the trap gets cracked open for cleaning. Afaik that's approved permit plans; not sure what code requires here.

From what I know of hotel grease traps, yours are all the size of a truck, no? You guys figure out a way to make them not smell like death?

Make sure it's cleaned regularly, mostly. It's still going to smell like death when they pump it, but part of the equation is bigger tanks mean pumping less often and a better water layer to keep the funk contained.

Local regs require anyone opening a new food service business or making any plumbing changes in an established one have an interceptor based on traffic now, which is getting tough for new small places since their formula says an occupancy 100 place with one dishwasher and 8-12 hours of operation a day needs a 5000 galon tank. Putting one of those in is a ~$25k investment, assuming the landlord will let you have his lot dug up for it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Skwirl posted:

My girlfriend uses square to sell her art, and I just learnt she accepts amex because of this

the list continues :smug:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Skwirl posted:

But restaurants shouldn't use Square because its designed for running a booth at a farmer's market, not the service industry.

Can you give more details on this - I see a lot of newer restaurants here (New Orleans) using Square?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ulmont posted:

Can you give more details on this - I see a lot of newer restaurants here (New Orleans) using Square?

Square is fine. It has a lot of updated capabilities since it's inception. It has built in kiosks/registers now, can track inventory and do forecasting. It also has every reader needed, swipe/chip/NFC and it's cheaper and easier to set up for small restaurants.

I'm not just saying this because I own a bunch of stock in square and want it to go up (I do, I got in during the IPO and god drat has it gone to the moon). I used it in my place and it worked great.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
An IOS system is just like anything else you pay for in life. You get what you pay for.

If you are running a Pizza Shop that does dine in, pick up, delivery, and online orders good luck with a lower tier iOS system.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his Hog posted:

An IOS system is just like anything else you pay for in life. You get what you pay for.

If you are running a Pizza Shop that does dine in, pick up, delivery, and online orders good luck with a lower tier iOS system.

You do realize that the front end of a program is not the same as the back end right? Just because it has an iOS interface for users does not mean that Square is an iOS only application.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I feel like I can offer some insight here since I administered the POS system for a small chain of retail stores for a couple of years. Square is pretty great. Their reporting is pretty good, and the number and speed of new features is staggering - generally head and shoulders above the competition. It also offers the most intuitive experience, both on the backend and terminal side. It could've covered our entire needs for a little more than Revel, but we had the grandfathered pricing plan which was much cheaper so we didn't switch. We did online orders, 'cooking', combos, upsells, automatic and manual discounts in many forms - we had complex needs.

Revel has amazing support, but they take time to implement changes and it sometimes just can't do a thing that you need it to do. Support often has a suggested workaround or might even make changes overnight, so give them a ring. They also offer a very inexpensive payment processing service, so you can run Revel everything if you want to. The reporting is good, and API access is inexpensive.

Clover is cheap and well suited for head shops and vape shops. Not a fan.

I haven't used Aloha :shrug:

What exactly do you find lacking in Square, amahd?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 27, 2018

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Clover is not good for a Multifaceted restaurant I will tell you that right now.

Since new ownership I’ve been through 4 different POS computers....

The biggest problem with all of them is cashing drivers checkouts and the POS system loving up online orders.

Also new British series on Netflix: Million Pound Menu.

Watch the first episode. Man those waiters were poo poo. LIKE THESE ARE THE INVESTORS AND YOU DIDN’T GIVE THEM SILVERWARE for over 5 minutes .....

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Revel can go eat a giant bowl of dicks as a POS system.

One could say it's a POS :haw:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
All POS systems suck. It's just a matter of finding the one that sucks least for the specific features you want.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know when/where exactly we screwed up, but Square now automatically texts my wife “thanks for shopping at *place*” receipts whenever we shop somewhere with one. Even when we use my credit card.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I feel like I can offer some insight here since I administered the POS system for a small chain of retail stores for a couple of years. Square is pretty great. Their reporting is pretty good, and the number and speed of new features is staggering - generally head and shoulders above the competition. It also offers the most intuitive experience, both on the backend and terminal side. It could've covered our entire needs for a little more than Revel, but we had the grandfathered pricing plan which was much cheaper so we didn't switch. We did online orders, 'cooking', combos, upsells, automatic and manual discounts in many forms - we had complex needs.

When not a mild-mannered line cook, I also make hot sauce and fruit butters and sell them at farmer's markets and the like. I use Square for that, but had no idea legit brick'n'mortar businesses used it. Their cut isn't awful if you're small potato like me, but I wouldn't have guessed any big business/regular restaurant would deal with them. Interesting to know!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Skwirl posted:

This is why servers get the tips.

Idk what the executive chef getting attacked by a homeless guy has to do with servers getting tips but sure I guess

number 1 snake fan posted:

I mean, it disproportionately effects disabled people and doesn't really do anything about plastic waste (most plastic in the ocean is from commercial fishing nets) but go off

This is loving stupid because anyone, disabled or otherwise can still get a straw whenever they want. The restriction also doesn't apply to to go food. It just limits straw distribution to people who want/need them.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 28, 2018

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
How do you find staff that care? I just took over a kitchen (corporate style, it’s all the great white North really has to offer) for a decent salary but I’m starting off with a staff that is either burnt out or didn’t care to begin with.

New school season started up, so my resume pile is literally just kids fresh outta India and Pakistan (local college is very mechanics focused) and no locals. Is it worth it to hire the foreigners, even if their spoken and written English suck, just to get workers who are in it? Or do I stick with a miserable and angry burnt out staff and hope for the best?

To put it in perspective:

- my kitchen labour is currently 11.5% on average
- my variance on cost of good is between 1.5-2%

And my waste numbers are disgusting.

I’ll take any advice you can give.

Restaurant is a wing joint, with fresh burgers and a handful of entrees.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

virinvictus posted:

How do you find staff that care?

pay a decent wage

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

At the risk of being callous:
how much do you start people at?
how much do you value a GOOD proper rear end kicking dishwasher that doesn't vanish in the middle of the rush or take umpteen smoke breaks at?
and how much do you value your prep cooks that set your line up to actually make money at?
How much do you value your line cooks above that?
How much does your current staff make, either on average or most-experienced?

Also, where are you located? (roughly or specifically?)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Additionally, what's with your waste numbers? Poor forecasting and over-prepping? Or just too much stuff on the menu with snowflake perishable ingredients?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Hauki posted:

pay a decent wage

This is the reason we were short 25 cooks last summer. Our resort was paying less than the small local places and we had to rely on J-1 Interns(that we charge for housing).