Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Let's take the most powerful magical object in the universe and turn it into your younger sister.

This being will never do anything interesting with the concept and only be a whining child for the rest of the series.

:downsbravo:

Let's introduce a bit of fact into your own spiteful whining about a character you didn't like. The Key could only be used at a specific time and under specific conditions; the ritual to activate the Key involves Dawn bleeding to death; and after the ritual was broken, Dawn wasn't the Key any more.

(All of this was retconned in the comics, which aren't subject to budgetary restrictions on special effects and locations, but that's not the point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gaunab posted:

The only thing I know about house of cards is that Kevin spacey's character is a Democrat even though he should be a Republican.

Very true, no Democrat would have a spine or ambitions.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Season 5 was the logical place to end Buffy. Season 6 was a big dip in quality, but not without its moments (once more with feeling alone justified its existence) and I liked that they didn't try to create a bigger badguy than Glory, a literal god, but had three humans instead. That they were toxic, mysogynistic gamergate types has aged very well imo

s7 sucked aside from Anya's origin story episode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

Let's introduce a bit of fact into your own spiteful whining about a character you didn't like. The Key could only be used at a specific time and under specific conditions; the ritual to activate the Key involves Dawn bleeding to death; and after the ritual was broken, Dawn wasn't the Key any more.

(All of this was retconned in the comics, which aren't subject to budgetary restrictions on special effects and locations, but that's not the point.)

Perhaps.

But my second sentence stands.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a trilogy of them.

:wtc:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This kids show from the 90s looked like it was shot in someone's basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtY8j82CiU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Hell yes, that show was so loving bad it was amazing. During an era of endless Power Ranger-knockoffs (often also by Saban to capitalize on the craze it started), no knockoff was as low-budget and half-assed as Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills. My brother and I mock this terrible show to this day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched one season of house of cards and stopped because the only reason his "brilliant" schemes we're working is that the writers decided they would work and that his opponents are idiots. It's basically a strawman argument, but a plot. N none of it felt interesting or organic, and all of his "dark" personal life was milquetoast rich people behaving badly tv stuff.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Davros1 posted:

Geriatric Gin Crazed Gypsy Gerbils

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

best intro theme is MIB The Animated Series, best show about doctors/hospitals is Darkplace

Music based on melodies originally whistled by Garth Marenghi

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The BBC version of House of Cards is much better than the Netflix version.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I watched one season of house of cards and stopped because the only reason his "brilliant" schemes we're working is that the writers decided they would work and that his opponents are idiots. It's basically a strawman argument, but a plot. N none of it felt interesting or organic, and all of his "dark" personal life was milquetoast rich people behaving badly tv stuff.

I couldn’t get over the part where he had to wheel and deal to avoid a lawsuit by the family of a girl who died texting and driving. They made a crisis where one wouldn’t have ever existed.

The show looked great and Kevin Spacey does snark better than anyone. But man the writing sucked.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh no, there's a photo of my dad shaking hands with a klansman! Damage control!

*Trump, the son of a klansman, wins presidency after being endorsed by the Klan.*

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pick posted:

House of Cards, much like Downton Abbey and god forbid Sherlock, was always horrifically bad and it's just weird it took people so long to notice.

i feel like sherlock had a lot of promise early on that kept it afloat but then it just ...never grew up, it peaked as a rough pilot

episode two was already that weird orientalism one that aged poorly the instant it aired

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Downton Abbey was very good when it was Gosford Park.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I couldn’t get over the part where he had to wheel and deal to avoid a lawsuit by the family of a girl who died texting and driving. They made a crisis where one wouldn’t have ever existed.

The show looked great and Kevin Spacey does snark better than anyone. But man the writing sucked.

It gets worse later on when he actually becomes president and unveils his flagship piece legislation: "America Works". Basically a reverse New Deal that would eliminate most/all welfare programs in exchange for a massive governmental job program. It's incredibly dumb, politically infeasible, hugely unpopular, and still this character who never has shown much attachment to any one political agenda is completely married to it and fights tooth and nail to push it through.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

hard counter posted:

i feel like sherlock had a lot of promise early on that kept it afloat but then it just ...never grew up, it peaked as a rough pilot

episode two was already that weird orientalism one that aged poorly the instant it aired

I think the show needed a real rethink on the entire premise because 'Sherlock in the modern day and age' doesn't really work. Remaking old stories would be neat if it was done with a bit more originality...which then neuters the entire premise.

The show probably needed to be made after Moffatt was done with Doctor Who, quite honestly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sherlock resulted in a terrific episode of The F Plus so I forgive all its sins.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think the show needed a real rethink on the entire premise because 'Sherlock in the modern day and age' doesn't really work. Remaking old stories would be neat if it was done with a bit more originality...which then neuters the entire premise.

The show probably needed to be made after Moffatt was done with Doctor Who, quite honestly.

I think the pilot did it pretty drat well. Sure, there were a couple of bits that didn't work, bit on the whole, I think it was a pretty good translation.

The bit with Watson's phone mimicking the pocket watch from the original was inspired.

Shame it went to poo poo almost immediately with utter crap plots.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elementary is extremely good, and super different from Sherlock.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I still really like A Study in Pink and S1E3 that introduced Moriarty. Basically the best Sherlock episodes are the ones where he solves crimes/mysteries, surprisingly enough. Y'know, instead of having to solve a Saw puzzle organized by his sister who also has super hypnotic suggestion. Like actual superpower level suggestion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Things Sherlock has to do in Elementary:

• Research things before he knows about them
  • Slog through stuff looking for information and this is shown to take a lot of time and be tedious
  • Ask for help from other people with specialized skills/knowledge he doesn't have
  • Accept that sometimes other people accomplish things before he does, such as the particularly competent members of the police department (there are some) or Watson
  • Listen to Watson, who knows things he doesn't
  • Learn to work on a team because being an rear end in a top hat is not only unpleasant but makes his work worse and introduces various forms of liability
  • Answer to the police when he does things that are shady
  • Accept that sometimes he is not allowed to do certain things no matter how smart he is
  • Apologize when he is out of line and actually not do those things any more
  • Admit that his family is not as bad as he likes to whine about and work towards a better relationship with them
  • Explore arrogance as a key feature of villains who don't think of themselves as villainous
  • Be wrong/mistaken and cop to it
  • Grow as a person
  • get a turtle

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pick posted:

Things Sherlock has to do in Elementary:

• Research things before he knows about them
  • Slog through stuff looking for information and this is shown to take a lot of time and be tedious
  • Ask for help from other people with specialized skills/knowledge he doesn't have
  • Accept that sometimes other people accomplish things before he does, such as the particularly competent members of the police department (there are some) or Watson
  • Listen to Watson, who knows things he doesn't
  • Learn to work on a team because being an rear end in a top hat is not only unpleasant but makes his work worse and introduces various forms of liability
  • Answer to the police when he does things that are shady
  • Accept that sometimes he is not allowed to do certain things no matter how smart he is
  • Apologize when he is out of line and actually not do those things any more
  • Admit that his family is not as bad as he likes to whine about and work towards a better relationship with them
  • Explore arrogance as a key feature of villains who don't think of themselves as villainous
  • Be wrong/mistaken and cop to it
  • Grow as a person
  • get a turtle

I was like "This is boring and too much like real life" until that last bit and now I want to watch it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's not a lot of character development for a show with over 130 episodes. Also House MD did all that before with the exception of Clyde.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mu Zeta posted:

That's not a lot of character development for a show with over 130 episodes. Also House MD did all that before with the exception of Clyde.

It’s better than Sherlock which is a melodrama with the thinnest coat of detective story over it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only reason for Sherlock to exist is to give people material for their fan art and shipping fantasies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a shitload of development for him, I'm not even talking about that stuff. But it's mostly about dismantling absolutism and the idea of being "special", it's neat and good.

Also it's clear the writers completely revile Silicon Valley style tech wankers which is fun.

Pick has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Aug 26, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ir493Dps1Q

Just gonna leave this right here.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think the show needed a real rethink on the entire premise because 'Sherlock in the modern day and age' doesn't really work

i mentioned this in another thread before but there are two reasonable ways of adapting sherlock with original stories imho, one is be real loving good at coming up with engaging mysteries that engross the audience while still being fair to them in that they too could puzzle out the facts - remember that the original holmes was a tall, handsome, weirdly strong master detective/scientist/geologist/disguise artist/marksmen/boxer/single stick fighter, etc, etc, etc with nerves of steel who also, except for like twice, only fought criminals who were vastly beneath him and never once had to do something uncomfortable that put him outside his formidable skill set, everyone who met him wanted to give him a big old succ, watson sometimes included and his few flaws were that sometimes he does a drug (but he can quit cold turkey through sheer strength of will), has almost no life outside of investigation but still sometimes needs a vacation? holmes is less of a person and more of a vehicle for jumping into bizarre or uniquely interesting cases and the entertainment comes from watching a master untangle a real bad knot that other pros can't handle

even the quality of the original stories suffered after doyle felt like he was forced into revisiting the character and just couldn't put together a story with the same heart

the other way of way of adapting holmes is by putting an interesting spin on the character, like exaggerating his modest eccentricities/adding new ones or otherwise transforming him from being just a vehicle into being a person, if you can't do either you're going to have serious problems and i feel like the tv show, at its best, was always on the verge of finding its own compromise between those two but whiffed more often than it should have

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Elementary is extremely good, and super different from Sherlock.

I like Elementary more than Sherlock, but it doesn't really feel like an adaptation in the same way Sherlock tries to be. It uses a lot of familiar concepts from the stories, but doesn't tend to do these updated adaptations like Sherlock does. It's a Sherlock Holmes adaptation as Law & Order: Criminal Intent or the early seasons of House M.D. before it became a relationship drama (again, not meant as a knock on either series!). :shrug:

They both have their place but Sherlock fails to live up to its promise. I think Moffat and Gatiss are far too preoccupied with the "great game" aspect of Sherlockiana - this idea that everything is somehow a permutation of this titanic struggle between Holmes and Moriarty - and ends up forgetting that it's supposed to be about solving mysteries. That's one big advantage Elementary has over it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

i mentioned this in another thread before but there are two reasonable ways of adapting sherlock with original stories imho, one is be real loving good at coming up with engaging mysteries that engross the audience while still being fair to them in that they too could puzzle out the facts - remember that the original holmes was a tall, handsome, weirdly strong master detective/scientist/geologist/disguise artist/marksmen/boxer/single stick fighter, etc, etc, etc with nerves of steel who also, except for like twice, only fought criminals who were vastly beneath him and never once had to do something uncomfortable that put him outside his formidable skill set, everyone who met him wanted to give him a big old succ, watson sometimes included and his few flaws were that sometimes he does a drug (but he can quit cold turkey through sheer strength of will), has almost no life outside of investigation but still sometimes needs a vacation? holmes is less of a person and more of a vehicle for jumping into bizarre or uniquely interesting cases and the entertainment comes from watching a master untangle a real bad knot that other pros can't handle

even the quality of the original stories suffered after doyle felt like he was forced into revisiting the character and just couldn't put together a story with the same heart

the other way of way of adapting holmes is by putting an interesting spin on the character, like exaggerating his modest eccentricities/adding new ones or otherwise transforming him from being just a vehicle into being a person, if you can't do either you're going to have serious problems and i feel like the tv show, at its best, was always on the verge of finding its own compromise between those two but whiffed more often than it should have

Well there you veer into the problem that the original stories are frankly pretty bad. They're poorly-written and you can't intuit the solution, "The Speckled Band" being an obvious example. Luckily for the property, most people have never actually read them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also an American crime procedural, which means all the mysteries are solved by someone stepping in from offscreen with some completely new information that suddenly fixes everything.

The characters are really fun, but it's impossible for me to care about the weekly plots.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pick posted:

Well there you veer into the problem that the original stories are frankly pretty bad. They're poorly-written and you can't intuit the solution, "The Speckled Band" being an obvious example. Luckily for the property, most people have never actually read them.

Not being able to figure out the whodunnit before the end isn't necessarily a bad thing, though I do agree that the novels (that I've read) haven't aged very well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not being able to figure out the whodunnit before the end isn't necessarily a bad thing, though I do agree that the novels (that I've read) haven't aged very well.

Nah I mean like, in that case, there's no existing snake that fits the parameters described in the story. To "solve" the mystery, you have to invent an imaginary snake and then blame it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's also an American crime procedural, which means all the mysteries are solved by someone stepping in from offscreen with some completely new information that suddenly fixes everything.

What? That's completely untrue.

To be honest, you solve the mystery by knowing what cool niche story was being discussed about a year ago. Like the episode with the faulty tower schematics was clearly written about the time when the article about the Citigroup building was going around. If you're familiar with that article, because you spend too much time on the internet, you knew the motive and therefore who committed the crime.

The episode "A Stitch in Time" is a personal favorite of mine because it's actually a pretty well thought-out plan given the parameters set up by a person in the criminal's situation. Same with "And When Your Number's Up". If anything, the show's biggest fault is almost every single crime has a pragmatically financial motivation.

e: the crime was not, as you might expect, committed by a boomerang

Pick has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Aug 27, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The characters are really fun, but it's impossible for me to care about the weekly plots.

Sherlock does this too but it’s Sherlock coming from off screen.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pick posted:

i guess i should say the original stories were at least super popular at the time and i think their popular appeal came from watching a master do his thing with bizarre/interesting cases in a way where the readers felt like they could also puzzle out a solution

:colbert: but as i remember there was only one heinously unfair story in the originals, i think doyle even detected it himself and gave holmes a big old case of brain fever from the mental exertion it took to jump to such a conclusion from so far away

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sherlock does this too but it’s Sherlock coming from off screen.

he went to his mind palace, which has wifi that lets him talk to the internet and know all the things

gently caress, I think that was actually something Fraser could do at the end of Due South, but he was an explicitly magical Canadian Mountie whose powers derived from his moral purity

shows were weird back then

e: I haven't seen it in a while but if I recall, he was able to confer with his father's ghost and he could talk to dogs.

Pick has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Aug 27, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like most shows try not to be this contemporary so that the only thing that will age poorly is the culture that normalizes sexual harassment and exploitation of authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pick posted:

Yeah, if you go back and read them, you realize at least half the cases wouldn't have ever even needed Holmes if anybody would stop being so veddy British and actually ask what the goddamn hell is going on once in a while. Also, people who try to connect Moriarty or Addler to everything Holmes related obviously can't stand the fact that the only characters that had at all antagonism towards Sherlock while being on equal footing each appear in only one or two stories out of the enormous amount that Doyle wrote.