Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

AC2 but Origins style would make me cry, probably. imagine going through all of Italy with no loading screens and having it look legitimately gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Walking two blocks away from the Pantheon into generic countryside and firing ten bullets into a wolf to craft 1/24 of a parachute.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

take a look at r/assassins creed.
no

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The AC subreddit is a bizarro land where the animus plot is cool and AC3 was the masterpiece of the series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Let me stop you right there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I always felt like stealth in AC was extremely rudimentary.

The social stealth was extremely context sensitive to the point of being no better than a glorified bush to hide in, I don't really miss them at all.
It never made much sense past AC1 either, Altair dressed like a monk so it worked... every other entry never even bothered trying to blend the protag in with the crowds.

I'm cool with stealth just being like it is now, crouch down and sneak around dudes while avoiding their line of sight and snipping alarm bells.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Also at a point in AC1, the social stealth mechanic where you pretend to pray and all became mandatory to even move on the ground floor. I wish you could still blend in with crowds and disappear into the masses though, that as an escape mechanic is good, as is pretending to be on a bench or something. Those are things you can use to break pursuit, not requirements for stealth.

If we could do a number of those things with the AC:O-series level of control and fluidity the stealth would actually be even better.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Unity has a lot of problems, but the huge mobs hanging out every twenty feet made the whole social stealth thing a lot easier and more fluid. Strolling up, shanking a dude, and disappearing into a crowd screaming for public executions always felt pretty cool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Deakul posted:

I always felt like stealth in AC was extremely rudimentary.

The social stealth was extremely context sensitive to the point of being no better than a glorified bush to hide in, I don't really miss them at all.
It never made much sense past AC1 either, Altair dressed like a monk so it worked... every other entry never even bothered trying to blend the protag in with the crowds.

I'm cool with stealth just being like it is now, crouch down and sneak around dudes while avoiding their line of sight and snipping alarm bells.

Yeah,I meant the theory behind them, not the execution.

Lunethex posted:

I wish you could still blend in with crowds and disappear into the masses though, that as an escape mechanic is good, as is pretending to be on a bench or something. Those are things you can use to break pursuit, not requirements for stealth.

If we could do a number of those things with the AC:O-series level of control and fluidity the stealth would actually be even better.

Basically this. Add in disguises a la the Carnival part of AC2 and maybe some Hitman style stuff where you can steal a papal guard outfit and get away with walking in some other areas at a distance without completely tipping off all the guards, and it would be perfect.

Literally stealing a monk robe and sneaking into a monastery to murder the lovely Abbott while he wrings his hands maniacally while watching a chorus of Choir boys would be pretty cathartic. Basically the series should be more Hitman and less GTA with swords and camels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lambert posted:

This. The historic settings are what's special about AC, not the framing device or their stupid lore about magic apples or something.

this, that being said, i like the templar/assassins forever war. but the alien wizards and poo poo i can take and leave.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You guys are forgetting that the magic apple stuff gave them a plot device to allow Bayek to canonically travel into the land of the dead and fist fight King Tut, so it's good now, actually.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crowetron posted:

You guys are forgetting that the magic apple stuff gave them a plot device to allow Bayek to canonically travel into the land of the dead and fist fight King Tut, so it's good now, actually.

what the gently caress is up with that. so is the apple like a mobile holodeck or what.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Has a character in the game said “how do ya like them apples” or are they saving it for the final game in the series

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress is up with that. so is the apple like a mobile holodeck or what.

Bayek carries real physical objects out of the afterlife, so gently caress if I know.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Has a character in the game said “how do ya like them apples” or are they saving it for the final game in the series

Desmond thought of this line exactly one second before dying like an idiot, and went out filled with deep regret.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think just making everything with the apples and magic/etc weirder is the way to go, honestly. When I went back and played the Ezio games I was surprised at how insignificant the apple is, if I recall it just temporarily makes people crazy? And you can kinda control them but only a little bit and it hurts you? Whereas having it raise the dead and make demons come out of the ground is cool as hell and added some much-needed variety to Origins enemies (even if it wasn't enough to keep me playing to the end but that game is just too drat long).

While some nerd is gonna complain that going hard on magic monsters ruins the historical authenticity or whatever, I would argue that you're playing a game where a tireless parkour man commits dozens of murders on a daily basis and falls rear end-backwards into every major historical figure; its already a ridiculous fantasy, might as well embrace that and throw in some culturally-appropriate and period-specific mythological creatures to stab.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Precursor tech has also been the justification for buffy mcguffins in all of the games.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Scott Forstall posted:

I’m going to play hundreds of hours of odyssey so a year off it fine, they better come back with AC Feudal Japan built on the Odyssey rpg framework

Ghost of Tsushima will prob come out at some point in 2019 tho and that looks sweeeeeet

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Node posted:

So I sperged the gently caress out of Assassin's Creed: Origins and got every achievement and club challenge. You'd think I'd want to stay the gently caress away from the series for another ten years, but I'm ready to play more.

I got all the achievements except one, completing every location. There was just too drat many for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Precursor tech has also been the justification for buffy mcguffins in all of the games.

pretty much. i assume its some super duper star trek level poo poo. i mean the isu or whatever created humanity as basically in their image but basically a dumb drone race that was susceptible to their tech.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Having just gone back to Origins because the DLC was finally on sale, I am now definitely looking forward to playing Odyssey when it comes out. The mercenary system sounds awesome and I love the idea of earning some legendary weapons by beating people that use them against me rather than just picking them up from a box somewhere.

The one thing I'm hesitant about is the leveled/spec'd armor. I loved wearing whatever I wanted in Origins because it was purely cosmetic. I hope there are at least a whole bunch of high-end things to play dress up with so that you don't end up railroaded toward one or two OP sets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/08/26/assassin-s-creed-odyssey-full-world-map-revealed-and-its-huge/

also new game plus is coming sometime after launch.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The key thing, to me, is that while the map is bigger there is less actual land than Origins. As someone who doesn't care about boat stuff and find that all dreadfully dull this is a negative to me.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

PureRok posted:

The key thing, to me, is that while the map is bigger there is less actual land than Origins. As someone who doesn't care about boat stuff and find that all dreadfully dull this is a negative to me.

Given how much of Origins' landmass was pure desert, I feel like it probably evens out?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

These games already have way too much to do so they don't need to get any bigger imho.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yep, Origins was way too big, tons of filler content.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

These games already have way too much to do so they don't need to get any bigger imho.

kinda this. i like biggish maps with lots of details and quests but origins felt to big at times. i never explored some of the zones because it was all high level desert.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Islands make it easier to have distinct locations as well.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm good with less land as well - if there's poo poo to do along the way (which it looks like there will be) I use conventional travel way more often. Add sailing & shanties to the mix, and I don't expect to use fast travel often at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Islands make it easier to have distinct locations as well.

i like the look of the new sea fights so i am ok with more navy poo poo. also the different islands and poo poo look diverse as gently caress so good poo poo there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I assume they're also gonna add an autopilot option to the sailing. What made the islands in Origins such a pain was going from chilling as Senu while you cruised along on horseback to having to actually steer and hold down buttons just to get to the next objective.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

second-hand, but someone at resetera said it was 60% larger than Origins.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

second-hand, but someone at resetera said it was 60% larger than Origins.

sounds about right. sea combat is cool and the different islands gives them room to tell different stories and poo poo.

so anyone gonna pick a side. sparta or athens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm gonna pick Synthesis and give all of antiquity glowing green hats.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm gonna pick Synthesis and give all of antiquity glowing green hats.

oh god, if they just pulled a ME3 ending, id laugh my rear end off.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So it's Black Flag but with Ancient Greece, by the look of the world size and amount of actual land.

That could be both good and bad, but hey, I'm game.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Fuzz posted:

So it's Black Flag but with Ancient Greece, by the look of the world size and amount of actual land.

That could be both good and bad, but hey, I'm game.

The Black Flag map was really misleading though. A lot of the landmass was blocked off by cliff faces so you were essentially playing in disguised corridors once you were on land in a lot of places.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fuzz posted:

Did they have sea shanties in Ancient Greece though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QapvJeWiHwo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh god, if they just pulled a ME3 ending, id laugh my rear end off.

I threw my hat in the "your player character will become Alexander the Great" ring and I'm sticking to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they have sea shanties in Ancient Greece though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QapvJeWiHwo

they have sea shanties in the game apperently.