Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sister Marguerite

I shake my head as I think. Feeling exhausted this early in the morning isn't a good sign, and the day's likely to just get worse.

I say to Sister Abigail, "What do you think the King wants you to say to the others?"

Come on, Sister. Prove to me you're not all gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sister Mercy

Maybe it's just because she's kin, but I keep trying to make excuses for what she did. Hell, what she almost did to me. I finally pull myself out of the bed, pain lancing up and down my chest, and I steady myself against the bedstand for a moment. I say, "This isn't a problem you can run away from, Sister. The King has a plan, but you need to do your part to live up to it. Think on how you can start to make good."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
"Should...should I talk to the leader and tell him you're going to take care of our problems?" You can see she has no idea what to do to fix what she's done and she's hoping you're going to give her the perfect solution.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sister Mercy

"Not yet, Sister, we've got things to do before then. The deputy, for certain, then back to your ma." I pause, reckoning that Abigail's all sorts of lost and add, "I'll do what I can, though. That's an oath."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sister Marguerite

Disappointed, Sister Abigail shakes her head and says, "No, that's not it. Best you just stay here and let us see what else is going on here."

"Ready to go, Sister Mercy?"

Once we're outside, I say in a cautious tone, "So, how are things looking from your view, Sister?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sister Mercy

I sigh. It's a deep'un, full of regrets and frustration. I finally say, "I don't rightly know. I want to say all we need to do is see the demon out and fix what led to it all, but I ain't about to say for sure that'll fix matters. This branch is sufferin' like I've never seen."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sister Marguerite

I nod, grateful we're on the same page.

I say, "I know. It'd be nice to just think people would forgive and forget, but... well... she's a murderer. How's she ever gonna make that up?" While we're talking, I point over to the Deputy's house, adding, "Make our way thataways?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
The two of you head to the Deputy's house and knock on the door. A little while later, the door opens and you see Brother Jacob. "Oh. Hello Dogs. Good to see you." You can see that he's not really happy to see you two. "I have work to do soon, is there something you want?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sister Mercy

I look to Brother Jacob, then back to Sister Marguerite. I give her a look, the kind that says I can't rightly do that to blood, even if it needs to be done. I say, "If you wouldn't mind, Sister?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sister Marguerite

I nod my head at Sister. She's still not in great shape, so I take the lead, saying, "Well, we know you're a busy man, but we've come a long ways to talk to the people in this Branch. Would you mind if we spoke with you as you walked? We figure an important person like yourself could make it clear what what's going on."

Starting a conflict to get him to stay and tell us what's going on in town. Heart + Will.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
He sighs, but comes out and closes the door. "A man, Brother August, has been murdered. The Sheriff and I are trying to figure out who did it and why. Once we do that, we can hang them and move on. That's about it." He's lying on that last part, but he definitely doesn't know Sister Abigail is the one who did it yet. He pauses, and looks at you. "Perhaps the two of you can assist me in talking to the people?"

He's not happy to, but he will talk to you without a conflict

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sister Marguerite

I nod, saying, "Sounds like something Dogs should help with to me. Let's go, Sister."

As we're walking, I say, "So, tell me about the murder. Do you have any suspects? You know, people with grudges. And how'd he die?"

I know the true answer to both questions, of course, but I'm curious what he thinks.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
He shakes his head. "No. It's the darndest thing - we can't figure out who would have wanted to kill him. We talked to his neighbors, but they didn't see anything. And his wife says there's no one she knows of who he ever got into a fight with or argument or whatever. Must be someone gone crazy, and who knows how Brother August got his attention. Whoever did it did it with some kind of knife. If we can figure out some suspects, we might be able to find it or perhaps the clothes they wore that night with the blood on it." He's telling you truthfully what he knows and thinks about the situation.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sister Mercy

I follow a bit behind, half from still bein' a bit woozy and the other half from bein' a bit lost on how to go. I know what's right to do, that's the easy bit. But the thing I can live with? poo poo. I ain't about to tell Sister Chastity that her lil' girl's a killer and a sorcerer beside, but we also can't let her run wild. Maybe there's another way? Like if we cast out the demon, maybe do some work to get her 'called' to the temple? They'd know more'n a bit about puttin' together a broken spirit like that, right?

I say, "And you're sure that's about it? Brother, I'm not doubting what you're saying, but you know what the Book says. These things don't just happen out of nowhere. This branch needs help, real bad, and we aren't going to be able to do our jobs unless we figure out the rot at the root of things."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
"Sometimes people just go bad." He hesitates for a moment, the kind of hesitation someone does right before telling a lie. "Besides, there's nothing else wrong going on in Burning Gulch."

• Locked thread