Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Dude just called me up and he's done it for free anyway, woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Probably insignificant towards the total life of the SSD, but doing incremental installs will only serve to run up the read/write counters.

It's 100% insignificant. Don't baby your SSD.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

It's 100% insignificant. Don't baby your SSD.

Yeah, these days any non SARMSANG and KIIVNGSDON SSD will outlast any consumer device it's in.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Nice! If you’re looking to transfer data from the old drive, throw it in a USB enclosure and hook it up to the iMac. On first boot you’ll get a Migration Assistant prompt you can use to transfer everything. Then it’ll be just like it was, only with an SSD and High Sierra.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Word. Buy him some beer or whatever if it was originally going to cost extra. Keep those guys doing what they do, they’re going the way of the dodo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Word. Buy him some beer or whatever if it was originally going to cost extra. Keep those guys doing what they do, they’re going the way of the dodo.

:yeah:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This was said about regular janitors, too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is there any place (ideally UK or European vendor) that I can buy the adapter to fit an aftermarket M.2 SSD to a mid-1014 MBP or am I stuck having to go with OWC's entire widget of adapter and drive? 500GB was cool and good in 2014, but carting around my Lightroom library is rapidly eating into my storage. I've chewed through 20GB in storage of RAW files over the past two days and that's even after trashing all the junk.

As far as I can tell, OWC is selling the 1TB drive for ~$500 and the adapter for $50 when all bundled together, but I'd have to pay an extra ~20% in customs duty in the UK and 1TB Samsung Evos can be had for less than half of what OWC is charging for the drive alone.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the used Mac market like where you are? Can you just buy one with a bigger drive and sell yours?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

What's the used Mac market like where you are? Can you just buy one with a bigger drive and sell yours?

Ignoring the universal 'everybody overvalues their Mac' constant, there seems to be a disparity between 500GB and 1TB drive models that makes me think I may as well buy from OWC. I suspect I'm falling into a dumb cognitive bias, but I know mine is a minter and has been treated perfectly for the four years I've owned it and buying a second hand one feels like a gamble.

I'll take a look and see if I can find any with recently replaced top cases - that might be a decent trade off.

e: perhaps I'm being an idiot, I could recoup some of the outlay by selling off the original 500GB drive for some idiotic premium.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pivo posted:

4K, yeah. 5K isn't very mainstream.

Dell's got one, but it only supports HDR over HDMI if the review is correct (the Win10 issues mentioned have, afaik, been fixed):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6KX7UE8555&
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/monitors/109724-dell-ultrasharp-u2718q/

There are a few in that price range I believe, you'd have to go search. The field is pretty narrow..

edit: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345685-REG/dell_up2718q_ultrasharp_27_4k.html

I'm not asking for a 27" 4k display, I'm asking about a display with the pixel density of the Apple displays, but with HDR as well. I know you can get 27" 4k HDR display (with a piddly 160 ppi), but there seems to be nothing in the 200+ ppi range (5k ~27" or 4k ~22"). Is this because they don't exist (like manufacturing can't make it or the yields are too low), or a business decision not to make them?

The iPhone X has a 548 ppi display on a 5" screen, so I know it's possible to make displays with 200+ ppi and HDR, but I haven't seen any information on making them larger than phone sized.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Depends on what you define as “consumer”.

$2000, which is around what a good HDR TV runs.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 27, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Theophany posted:

Ignoring the universal 'everybody overvalues their Mac' constant, there seems to be a disparity between 500GB and 1TB drive models that makes me think I may as well buy from OWC. I suspect I'm falling into a dumb cognitive bias, but I know mine is a minter and has been treated perfectly for the four years I've owned it and buying a second hand one feels like a gamble.

I'll take a look and see if I can find any with recently replaced top cases - that might be a decent trade off.

e: perhaps I'm being an idiot, I could recoup some of the outlay by selling off the original 500GB drive for some idiotic premium.

Just swap the drives - then sell the other one you just bought and you keep your actual laptop

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Theophany posted:

Is there any place (ideally UK or European vendor) that I can buy the adapter to fit an aftermarket M.2 SSD to a mid-1014 MBP or am I stuck having to go with OWC's entire widget of adapter and drive? 500GB was cool and good in 2014, but carting around my Lightroom library is rapidly eating into my storage. I've chewed through 20GB in storage of RAW files over the past two days and that's even after trashing all the junk.

As far as I can tell, OWC is selling the 1TB drive for ~$500 and the adapter for $50 when all bundled together, but I'd have to pay an extra ~20% in customs duty in the UK and 1TB Samsung Evos can be had for less than half of what OWC is charging for the drive alone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SINTECH-ADAPTER-NGFF-NVME-MACBOOK/dp/B07888SG7P/

This is the UK version of an adapter I have running on a 1) Late 2013 13-inch rMBP 2) Early 2014 MacBook Air 3) Early 2015 13-inch rMBP.

It works with most M.2 SSDs, I usually stick with Samsung 960/970s (970s are cheaper!) and have just started using MyDigital SSDs.
In 2013-2014 machines you have to disable hibernation and sleep, in 2015 models these adapters work perfectly, supporting sleep/low power
mode.

OWC's SSD offerings are god-awful beetle dung that uses mystery components in a lovely RAID-like configuration and lovely controllers.

They fell all over themselves when most of their Aura line turned out to be incompatible with High Sierra until they sheepishly came out with new firmware months after most people reported disaster.

I'd rather use no-name adapters and name brand proven SSDs than OWC's shabbily cobbled together crap.

Edit: helps a lot to already be running High Sierra as the SSDs will be recognized in Disk Utility right off the bat.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 27, 2018

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm not asking for a 27" 4k display, I'm asking about a display with the pixel density of the Apple displays, but with HDR as well. I know you can get 27" 4k HDR display (with a piddly 160 ppi), but there seems to be nothing in the 200+ ppi range (5k ~27" or 4k ~22"). Is this because they don't exist (like manufacturing can't make it or the yields are too low), or a business decision not to make them?

The iPhone X has a 548 ppi display on a 5" screen, so I know it's possible to make displays with 200+ ppi and HDR, but I haven't seen any information on making them larger than phone sized.

~200 PPI is less important depending on how far away you are from the screen. I'd recommend a 24" 4K Dell if you value pixel density over screen size. You could also track down a refurbished 21.5" LG UltraFine with USB C. The vast majority of 4K displays are 27"+.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 27, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The old Henge docks relied on you being able to perfectly mount all the various connectors for all the left side ports perfectly, and as you might imagine, that's impossible. I am not sure what the point of a dock is on anything modern, since a single USB-C can run everything just fine. I've got a Belkin USB-C dock that appears to work well. One cord for everything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

This was said about regular janitors, too.

You should be extra nice to janitors too. Their job is almost always worse than yours, they thanklessly deal with gross-rear end stuff on the regular, and people at the same workplace often treat them like crap or become awkward and uncomfortable and quiet around them as though they were homeless people. And for that matter be nice to homeless people.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know it isn’t HDR but the 5K LG Mac display runs at $1200, which is 60% of your stated budget. The smaller 4K one is like $400 cheaper. Dell also has an Ultrasharp line 27” 4K HDR display (and I think HP made one as well) for $1500 ($1300 on Amazon). HP has a consumer-grade HDR display for gaming that’s listed at $450, though that’s probably not what you’re looking for.

I literally just googled all of this for you it isn’t hard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

The old Henge docks relied on you being able to perfectly mount all the various connectors for all the left side ports perfectly, and as you might imagine, that's impossible. I am not sure what the point of a dock is on anything modern, since a single USB-C can run everything just fine. I've got a Belkin USB-C dock that appears to work well. One cord for everything.

The old Mac 'docks' like the Henge were total poo poo compared to the HP/Lenovo/Dell 'snap into the bottom port' docks

The one-cable Thunderbolt stuff is much better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

If you absolutely need it vertical, get a stand (there are a *ton* of options on Amazon) and plug in a USB-C/TB3 dock.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Proteus Jones posted:

If you absolutely need it vertical, get a stand (there are a *ton* of options on Amazon) and plug in a USB-C/TB3 dock.

Do this. The only bad thing is the decent TB3 docks are ~$300 :\

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Binary Badger posted:

This is the UK version of an adapter I have running on a 1) Late 2013 13-inch rMBP 2) Early 2014 MacBook Air 3) Early 2015 13-inch rMBP.

It works with most M.2 SSDs, I usually stick with Samsung 960/970s (970s are cheaper!) and have just started using MyDigital SSDs.
In 2013-2014 machines you have to disable hibernation and sleep, in 2015 models these adapters work perfectly, supporting sleep/low power
mode.

OWC's SSD offerings are god-awful beetle dung that uses mystery components in a lovely RAID-like configuration and lovely controllers.

They fell all over themselves when most of their Aura line turned out to be incompatible with High Sierra until they sheepishly came out with new firmware months after most people reported disaster.

I'd rather use no-name adapters and name brand proven SSDs than OWC's shabbily cobbled together crap.

Edit: helps a lot to already be running High Sierra as the SSDs will be recognized in Disk Utility right off the bat.

To chime in, I had a 970Evo and swapped it out for an Adata sx8200. My 970 Evo was annoying because the SSD never dropped below 0.-4-0.5A and very frequently spiked to 0.75A. This one idles at 0.15A and rarely gets above 0.3A. The result on Black Magic is also more sustainable, as with the 970Evo you get a decent result the first time but then it drops massively the 2nd.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

Just swap the drives - then sell the other one you just bought and you keep your actual laptop

That didn't even cross my mind - good shout.

Binary Badger posted:

mode.

No poo poo? For £20 that's worth a punt. Thanks!

Sad Panda posted:

To chime in, I had a 970Evo and swapped it out for an Adata sx8200. My 970 Evo was annoying because the SSD never dropped below 0.-4-0.5A and very frequently spiked to 0.75A. This one idles at 0.15A and rarely gets above 0.3A. The result on Black Magic is also more sustainable, as with the 970Evo you get a decent result the first time but then it drops massively the 2nd.

Also thanks, I'll shop around for SSDs. I'm not overly fussed about improving read/write speed if it comes at the expense of battery life but if I can get a modest improvement without any noticeable dent in charge-to-charge it's a nice bonus.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

AData makes good stuff- they made a Serial ATA PCI card that's Mac/PC that still works in my 1 GHz G4 for running MacOS on modern hard drives.

Does that SX8200 fit ok inside your laptop, even with the Sintech adapter? Amazon review says the voltage regulator chip is too tall for their PC laptop.. Also, do you have the 480 or the 960 GB?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So looks like the dude didn't install the temperature sensor adapter, which is fine. I've installed a fan control app to bring the HDD fan speed down, but now my question is what should I be setting the temperature to at which it starts to speed the fan up? The default is 42C and I have no idea how high that is. It's quiet though!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you bought it and he didn't install it, you might wanna just go ahead and have him install it unless you want your iMac to sound like a jet taking off on every single reboot.. fan control apps won't slow the fans down until after the OS loads..

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Ok so I know there was a recent apple announcement regarding the new line of iPhones, but have the addressed the Macbook keyboard issue at all?

I know that they essentially claimed responsibility for it but did they say anything about fixing the design to eliminate the problems with the poo poo keyboard?

I only ask because my poor mom's 2008 MBP is on its last legs and she having trouble doing work on it at this point. I told her to wait a month because I figured that they would fix the keyboard issue after this announcement but I still haven't seen or heard anything about it. She just wants to tell her that it's ok to get a new Macbook and I'm having a hard time telling her know considering how bad she needs a new computer at this point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ok so I know there was a recent apple announcement regarding the new line of iPhones, but have the addressed the Macbook keyboard issue at all?

I know that they essentially claimed responsibility for it but did they say anything about fixing the design to eliminate the problems with the poo poo keyboard?

I only ask because my poor mom's 2008 MBP is on its last legs and she having trouble doing work on it at this point. I told her to wait a month because I figured that they would fix the keyboard issue after this announcement but I still haven't seen or heard anything about it. She just wants to tell her that it's ok to get a new Macbook and I'm having a hard time telling her know considering how bad she needs a new computer at this point.

The new 2018s have a silicone membrane that’s supposed to prevent the debris problem (no idea yet on that membrane’s prospective longevity or how the keyboard will hold up after several years, given that it just came out) but there’s also an ongoing replacement plan for new and recent model MBPs that start having issues.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Apple's not going to stand up on stage and yell "this time we got it right guys!" so yeah, there's nothing for them to say. They keyboards are fine, just buy the laptop.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

64bit_Dophins posted:

The 2018 MBP has a silicone membrane under each key but its ostensibly there to quiet the keyboard, not to prevent dust ingress. There are already reports about the 2018s having similar keyboard issues as the 2017, so there hasn't been a drastic improvement, maybe an incremental one.

You could wait for the new MacBook Air announcement which is supposed to take place in October. It could be that they have a scissor-switch keyboard in that one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

Unless she's willing to buy a $1600+ TouchBar MBP, the keyboard issue hasn't been addressed for any of the other laptops. If I were you, I'd try and wait until the end of the year to see what they end up doing for the MacBook/MacBook Air refresh.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Gay Retard posted:

Unless she's willing to buy a $1600+ TouchBar MBP, the keyboard issue hasn't been addressed for any of the other laptops. If I were you, I'd try and wait until the end of the year to see what they end up doing for the MacBook/MacBook Air refresh.

Wait so there's no membrane thing on the non-touchbar Macbook Pros?

She really needs a computer within the month because she really needs to get work done.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

64bit_Dophins posted:

Wait so there's no membrane thing on the non-touchbar Macbook Pros?

She really needs a computer within the month because she really needs to get work done.

The membrane is in the new ones because that model was just refreshed. Once the other pros are, they'll probably get it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Jose Oquendo posted:

The membrane is in the new ones because that model was just refreshed. Once the other pros are, they'll probably get it.

Oh I see. hmmmm

I took my mom to an Apple store a few weeks ago and had her look at the different models and she didn't care too much for the touchbar models and said that she wanted to get the middle-spec 13in pro without the touchbar.

I might just tell her to get the 13in pro with the touchbar at this point honestly. I know it's a few hundred dollars more but she needs this computer ASAP and money isn't that big of a deal. Also knowing my mom she'll probably use the thing for 10 years (assuming there aren't any issues).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh, there will be issues with the keyboard.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh, there will be issues with the keyboard.

Even with the membrane?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The membrane looks worthless to me, Its got a huge hole in the middle. It might prolong the point where crap gets under it though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The keyboards are fine

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least they paid attention to all those people who say they love clicky keyboards and dutifully responded by making them quieter

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

64bit_Dophins posted:

Even with the membrane?

Time will tell but all I know is that typing on them feels like cancer. None of this will be fixed until someone stands up to Jony Ive

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Typing on them feels fine. Way better than using the mushy keys from previous years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

Typing on them feels fine. Way better than using the mushy keys from previous years.

That is subjective and they feel like cancer to my fingers too.