Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a lot of people, unlocking stuff is basically their main motivation to keep playing the game.

Like how a lot of people in Animal Crossing probably lose their motivation not long after they get their house to maximum size and pay off their loans to Tom Nook.

Yeah but Animal Crossing isn't a deep multiplayer title with room to get better and a huge variety of outcomes and scenarios to interact with. I don't know anyone that's stopped playing Smash because they unlocked everything. And good luck doing so if they bring trophies back, getting all of the trophies is the biggest grind in all of gaming.

Theta Zero posted:

You can quickly skip to the end game of playing Fox and give yourself carpal tunnel.

You won't have to worry about that unless you're playing Melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Will Echo Fighters be unlocked separately from their basis?

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Does anyone really have a character they just despise playing?

Greninja's movement feels strange in a way I have never understood and have long given up on trying to understand. Everyone else makes sense to my hands, just not the frog.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you can get every character by clearing adventure mode once, fine, but Smash is first and foremost a multiplayer game and having to dedicate any significant amount of time to farming for the game's roster in Master Orders or whatever would be incredibly lame.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
In every Smash since Melee, you can unlock characters by playing versus matches.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe the "streamlined process" Sakurai mentioned is that literally any activity in the game gives you coins you can use to unlock characters of your choice. That way, you just keep playing whatever you like and you'll have your faves ASAP.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

Alright nerds

Justify why characters should be unlockable but there should not be a secret code or other option to unlock them all from the beginning

No spiteful answers
it's just more cool that way

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I genuinely enjoy playing as any character but there is a caveat, due to how events unfolded for me I never had a real chance to play with the dlc characters so I can't speak for them really

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Mega man, Marth, Roy, Lucina.

I'm looking forward to Bowser's Zangief echo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And it was mentioned that apparently you can instantly unlock any character you own any Amiibo of. So you can bring an Amiibo of your main to a friend's place and scan it yourself if all else fails.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Having an 'unlock characters' button tucked away somewhere wouldn't be the worst thing, in my mind. I wouldn't use it, speaking as someone who spent way too much time on trophy hunting, but I'm not going to begrudge someone wanting to skip what could be an hour-long or more tax on playing the game the way they want to.

E:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it was mentioned that apparently you can instantly unlock any character you own any Amiibo of. So you can bring an Amiibo of your main to a friend's place and scan it yourself if all else fails.

And, yeah, there's this. Nintendo's gonna push those every chance they get.

I think I might actually be upset if 'DLC' unlocks come purely in the form of Amiibos later. I don't collect small plastic toys, Nintendo, do not try to force my hand.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Olimar. I can more-or-less understand the other characters, even if I'm still terrible at anything that requires more thought than "go and punch", but I just can't wrap my head around what Olimar expects from me. Unsurprisingly, he was my least used in previous games and I can't see that changing now.

On the character unlocks thing, I like working my way through things and all but I don't think it's neccesary in Smash, which has both collectable Trophies and Achievements, plus some new mechanic that won't ever appear again (stickers, equipment). Besides, I'd love to play Smash U day one with friends, but I know fully well they'll want their characters so that's an issue, and I don't think a multiplayer-oriented game needs to lock something as important as characters away.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Shady Amish Terror posted:

And, yeah, there's this. Nintendo's gonna push those every chance they get.

I think I might actually be upset if 'DLC' unlocks come purely in the form of Amiibos later. I don't collect small plastic toys, Nintendo, do not try to force my hand.
Lol amiibo paranoia

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like playing as all the characters, and will enjoy playing as the new ones as well.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Blaze Dragon posted:

Olimar. I can more-or-less understand the other characters, even if I'm still terrible at anything that requires more thought than "go and punch", but I just can't wrap my head around what Olimar expects from me. Unsurprisingly, he was my least used in previous games and I can't see that changing now.

Yeah I also can't deal with Olimar at all.

Which reminds me of another feature I'd love to see in the game: the ability for each account to "favorite" characters, and then in the character choice screen you could choose "random from favorites." That way you can choose "random" without worrying about getting one of the characters you don't like.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I can’t play Jigglypuff. Can’t fuckin’ do it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Polo-Rican posted:

Which reminds me of another feature I'd love to see in the game: the ability for each account to "favorite" characters, and then in the character choice screen you could choose "random from favorites." That way you can choose "random" without worrying about getting one of the characters you don't like.

My friends made a D30 table with just our favorites because we are massive nerds, but we never actually used it past the first day

What I'm saying is that it's a good idea. Stages too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Polo-Rican posted:

Man, going through and curating random stage select is gonna be a chore in this one

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I can’t play Jigglypuff. Can’t fuckin’ do it.

if jiggly's song were reworked he would be a really fun character. i don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but on the rare occasion i actually put someone to sleep, they wake up so soon that I'm not able to land a single attack. Jiggly's song should have double the radius and put people to sleep for twice as long, but you need to charge it up somehow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Polo-Rican posted:

if jiggly's song were reworked he would be a really fun character. i don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but on the rare occasion i actually put someone to sleep, they wake up so soon that I'm not able to land a single attack. Jiggly's song should have double the radius and put people to sleep for twice as long, but you need to charge it up somehow.

Sleep time is based of damage percentage. If you put someone to sleep at 0%-20% they're gonna wake up before the song is over.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

jivjov posted:

Sleep time is based of damage percentage. If you put someone to sleep at 0%-20% they're gonna wake up before the song is over.

oh i had no idea but that makes sense. with this info i will take my jiggly game to the next level (the second-worst level)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Are Jiggly and Yoshi the only characters without an UpB recovery move? I mean Yoshi's is a little and Puff's punch is a decent horizontal recovery.

I guess Ness/Lucas is also in the category of only "sort of" a recovery move

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think those two lack proper recovery because their jump is already crazy good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Here are some things I am very excited about :

• Learning about the single player mode, which I hope will be robust and great.
  • Learning about some of the great music to be included.
  • Learning about more echoes - there are only six listed so far, so there are likely to be more.
  • Playing Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for Nintendo's Switch, this December.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think those two lack proper recovery because their jump is already crazy good.
Sure, Yoshi doesn't need it. Puff needs....something, maybe not that.

Is jugglypuff really a better jumper than Kirby, though?

Who is the recovery master? Lucario? Peach? Villager?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Bloop posted:

Are Jiggly and Yoshi the only characters without an UpB recovery move? I mean Yoshi's is a little and Puff's punch is a decent horizontal recovery.

I guess Ness/Lucas is also in the category of only "sort of" a recovery move

Zss and Ivysaur are stuck with garbage tethers that don't have any other horizontal or vertical boost.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Sure, Yoshi doesn't need it. Puff needs....something, maybe not that.

Is jugglypuff really a better jumper than Kirby, though?

Who is the recovery master? Lucario? Peach? Villager?

ROB is ridiculously good iirc, maybe Snake.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

Here are some things I am very excited about :

• Learning about the single player mode, which I hope will be robust and great.
  • Learning about some of the great music to be included.
  • Learning about more echoes - there are only six listed so far, so there are likely to be more.
  • Playing Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for Nintendo's Switch, this December.

This

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Zss and Ivysaur are stuck with garbage tethers that don't have any other horizontal or vertical boost.

Smash 4 ZSS has a good recovery with both her down and up specials giving solid mobility, and it looks like Ivysaur will be able to swap out for Charizard mid recovery in Ultimate.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Smash Ultimate - WHO can cross the PIT OF DEATH??? *Updated*

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gaffle posted:

Smash Ultimate - WHO can cross the PIT OF DEATH??? *Updated*

I'm actually really looking forward to this kind of video again, people just testing out exactly how far stuff can go is greatly enjoyable for me. I remember both that and a "who's the fastest" video (it's Ganondorf, shockingly enough, Beast Ganon is very very fast).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1034094600330326016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
How is the pro controller, anyway? I've been making do with the joycons the system came with but I've been considering picking up the pro so I don't destroy my hands playing monster hunter in a few days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rainuwastaken posted:

How is the pro controller, anyway? I've been making do with the joycons the system came with but I've been considering picking up the pro so I don't destroy my hands playing monster hunter in a few days.

I love the Pro. Feels great to use, and is the only controller I use at home.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the joy cons because it is easier to hold a baby with a controller in each hand than it is when you have to put your hands together on a single controller. I wish they were a little cheaper in case I ever need a replacement, though. 70 bucks is a lot.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

They are good with the exception of having a not so great dpad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That is very tempting but I'm going gamecube controller for as long as possible

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I've been meaning to get a pro controller so this bundle works out perfect.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

Some ideas should not be pursued.

:wth: :vince: :eyepop: :golfclap: :wotwot: