Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Two Point Hospital is a PC/Mac buisness sim game based around running your own private hospital, produced by Two Point Studios and published by SEGA. It's a spiritual successor to the much loved Bullfrog game, Theme Hospital, and has been made by some of the original TH creators. Website is here, and if you sign up for their news email, you get a golden toilet for the game when it's out! Release date: August 30th 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFfpyyi0qEQ

If you ever played the original Theme Hospital, you'll be aware that it's not an entirely serious take on hospital management. Yes, you have to make sure the building runs smoothly, hire staff, build rooms and clinics, research diseases, and try and cure your patients, but it's all done with a huge amount of tongue in cheek humour that's quite British in flavour. You won't see any real life conditions here, as patients are more likely to suffer from things like Lightheadedness (literally their head has become a light bulb), or they think they're Freddie Mercury, or they suffer from Cubism brought on by looking at Picasso paintings for too long. And if, well, the worst does occur, make sure you've hired a janitor with a ghostbusting perk!

The aim is to keep your hospital ticking over nicely, improving its reputation to such a degree that you get offered bigger and better placements in other towns. So you need to keep your patients happy and get them cured, keep your staff happy and relaxed, keep everything clean and tidy so as not to spread diseases, and remain on the cutting edge of medical science! The hospital needs to be kept visitor-friendly so decorate with benches, plants, vending machines, leaflet stands, and definitely don't forget to build some toilets. Your staff also need to be kept happy, so their offices need to be nice, and their staff room spacious and relaxing. But always be aware some terrible incident can occur, and your hospital now has to deal with an emergency! All hands on deck, stat!

If you've moved up in the world, you can always go back to your old hospitals to see how things are going and improve as necessary. You will also have the opportunity to build training hospitals to improve your staff/unlock clinics, which you can then use in your other hospitals as you progress.

Gameplay vid from the Two Point team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHPJiyaeOM

Screenshots:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm required in the Pans Lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Dying for this game. Literally dying. Seriously, send me to another hospital already, I will tank your score.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
This looks extremely good from the trailers, and I'm totally onboard for a Theme Hospital successor.

Except maybe for the emphasis on the rat unibrow hunting, which I always loathed in Theme Hospital. Still though, it'll be nice to play something besides Corsix-TH for my fix.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Merrill Grinch posted:

This looks extremely good from the trailers, and I'm totally onboard for a Theme Hospital successor.

Except maybe for the emphasis on the rat unibrow hunting, which I always loathed in Theme Hospital. Still though, it'll be nice to play something besides Corsix-TH for my fix.

The what now?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Cuntellectual posted:

The what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vs66_md_qo&t=3m

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, I hadn't seen that. That looks both fun and annoying. I assume you then have to drag over a janitor to clean them up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This game is one of the rare ones with a pre-order discount these days. But early!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This game is one of the rare ones with a pre-order discount these days. But early!

Plus it’s a reasonable price too!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big news coming in 40 mins on SEGA’s Twitch stream, apparently.

This close to release, I assume they’ve gone gold, or there’s a demo imminent.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Clicked the link.

Some doughy dork making whale noises at a Total War game.

I feel so old.

Please do not be bad, 2 Point Hospital. Please do not be bad.

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

Please be good, game. Though I suppose there's enough streamed stuff out there to get a good handle on it, maybe I should watch some.

The announcement was preload on the 28th and the 10% off is extended till 5th Sept.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does it make a difference preordering on steam vs the Two Point site?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Probably the % going to the developers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Only a few more days. The last week or so several streamers have been given advanced copies if you're dying to see some gameplay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
do you really have to lift up furniture and click on each roach?

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I doesn't agree with theme hospital. This looks like it captures the spirit really well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Will this game cure my bad case of Bloaty Head?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was so nervous about this turning out good I had The Squits all weekend.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Will this game cure my bad case of Bloaty Head?
Only if it blows your mind.

(it has lightheadedness instead)

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Watched a streamer play it today. Actually looks really good, and the humor is not cringy. Have high hopes now for an actual theme hospital successor.

Might be a bit content light at this point after you finish the campaign I guess? Remains to be seen. I hope it's successful and they expand it substantially similar to the Sims games. The base game looks great right now though.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 27, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm cautiously optimistic too. Theme Hospital is one of a handful of games from my childhood that I go back to every couple years. Will wait to see a couple reviews first, I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Poil posted:

Only if it blows your mind.

(it has lightheadedness instead)

There is also Turtle Head.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sips has an archive of a stream he did of the first 4 levels a few weeks ago and this looks real good. Pretty much exactly like TH in all the right ways but updated in such a way that it looks great to play. Really excited for this one.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Them giving out so many preview copies is usually also a good sign that they know their game is good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I played a bit of original Theme Hospital the other day, and I’d completely forgotten you can’t rotate the map.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've been looking forward to this for a while. I loved Theme Hospital and am so glad this looks so good.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

Them giving out so many preview copies is usually also a good sign that they know their game is good.

The apparent review embargo would seem to belie that somewhat. Easy to get FM radio host rejects excited about a game they can crow to their followers they got early. Definitely waiting for real and professional reviews, personally. Especially with the discount extending a week past release.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The Bramble posted:

The apparent review embargo would seem to belie that somewhat. Easy to get FM radio host rejects excited about a game they can crow to their followers they got early. Definitely waiting for real and professional reviews, personally. Especially with the discount extending a week past release.

Yeah because "real professional" reviews are so much more informed lol.
yeah this guy gets paid to shovel out reviews as fast as possible, i should definitely trust his opinion over the guy who literally has over 80 hours of video footage of him playing the game and explaining its systems in depth

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Those sure are some interesting treatment machines.

A circus tent, something for treating pixelation, stuff to treat cubism...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
preloaded. please dont let this game suck

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hmnmm, I hope this is wrong. I was hoping to play tomorrow after work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hmnmm, I hope this is wrong. I was hoping to play tomorrow after work.

Release date is August 30th, so I assume it's accurate and steam is adjusting for time zones when it says the 29th

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh. Bugger. :argh:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Release date is August 30th, so I assume it's accurate and steam is adjusting for time zones when it says the 29th

i've heard that it releases at 7 am GMT/UTC, so for east coast us that's 2am on the 30th, west coast us is 11pm on the 29th

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ugh wish they were just doing a rolling midnight release. Looking forward too this, looks like a lot of fun. The devs seem to emphasis it'll be playable long term which I hope is true and its not just a set of "missions" where your old hospitals become irrelevant and you reach an end state after the final hospital.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Popete posted:

Ugh wish they were just doing a rolling midnight release. Looking forward too this, looks like a lot of fun. The devs seem to emphasis it'll be playable long term which I hope is true and its not just a set of "missions" where your old hospitals become irrelevant and you reach an end state after the final hospital.

The gameplay vids the team have put out often show going back to previous hospitals to see how they’re ticking over, improve them, etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It does look like it's laid out very much like the old TH where you have increasingly more complex scenarios but it's on an overworld map so it does seem to indicate you'll be able to backtrack. I would like a sandboxy mode but maybe that won't be as great in a game like this? I can't tell for sure but I assume they always did it this way because it was easier to make the game balanced for harder challenges that were set up for the player to beat and nothing more.

That said, I do really like the in-game currency that allows you to buy things like decorations and gadgets like hand sanitizers over time that you can then build in the next game you move onto. Sips did a really poor job of explaining this because he described it as "microtransactions" and kept talking about "in-game currency" which of course made everybody freak the gently caress out but he kept having to explain repeatedly that it's just a second currency that you permanently unlock things with. I kinda thought the idea was similar to the Offshore Bank Account in Tropico, although you can buy stuff with it in Two-Point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Quill had an early access copy of this that he did a few videos of and you can absolutely go back to old hospitals.

I think you're actually expected to do so, because you only unlock certain treatments and game elements through advancing the story, so if you stay in the same place after you finish your goals you'll start to stagnate a little.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The overworld map lets you go back to any previous hospital to what's basically a savestate of when you left it, and you can complete any remaining objectives. Up through the fourth map, the missions complete at 1-star, which has largely involved doing some tutorial stuff, like training 3 people or curing a specific illness a few times. Further stars are gained by continuing along those lines and increasing the value or prestige of your hospital, which is quicker when you go back after accessing new rooms or research.

So far, getting extra stars has unlocked upgrades to treatment and diagnosis machines, so they're a little quicker or cause fewer deaths, but they don't seem entirely necessary if you're looking to move on every time you 1-star an area.

Other than patients choosing benches seemingly at random and some fidgety pathfinding, this is 100% what your nostalgia remembers Theme Hospital to be, and really amazing. Being able to move entire rooms and retain their layout is so, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Psychepath posted:

Being able to move entire rooms and retain their layout is so, so good.

oh my god

someone put me in a coma that lasts exactly seven hours and thirty five minutes please