Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kim Justice posted:

Theryn Meyer is back talking about why she left YouTube. She's on a new channel because she couldn't deal with the folks already subscribed to her after the last vid she put out. Much less political and much more funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4u-Pua2jPg

So, I'm sorry to go right there, but where is Theryn these days politically? The vague attention I gave her before gave me the impression she's the kind of person who would call herself a centrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Puppy Time posted:

Do you think that following the process of Wayne securing transportation is going to improve the film at all?

Like, back in the day, that sort of stuff was just treated as fanwank fodder, so nitpicky dweebs on discussion fora could have fun coming up with scenarios of varying levels of believability to solve the perceived problems. The rest of the world doesn't care, because the solution not only doesn't matter, but would probably gently caress up the pace of the movie.

But nope, now we have to treat every bit of unexplained minutiae like some sort of story-ruining gotcha, because apparently the point isn't character arcs or cohesion or catharsis, it's making a plot that's completely bulletproof against every single pedantic nerd who's only interested in surface details.

No, I don't think it would make the film better. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've seen Dark Knight Rises, but I do remember it being jarring that he arrives back in Gotham. You could have just had some throwaway line like, "I hid in the cargo storage of a plane", or have some quick five-second scene where he does that, and it might have made the transition a bit smoother. Now you can say, "Oh, he would have died in the cargo storage because of how cold it gets," and that I would reject, because I don't expect them to to be 100% accurate to how something like that would work.

If there's a scene, where a character in Los Angeles says, "I need to go to New York", and the next scene is them in New York, I assume they probably took a flight there. However, if it's established that the character has no money or resources, and they need to get there ASAP, then I think it's a little more prudent to show how they accomplish it. I get that it's not crucial to the film as whole, and I can make some assumption to how he got back, but I do think it's something of a distracting hiccup.

Then again, maybe they were just tired of filming on planes.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 27, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

So, I'm sorry to go right there, but where is Theryn these days politically? The vague attention I gave her before gave me the impression she's the kind of person who would call herself a centrist.

I'm pretty sure she never actually disavowed the whole 'actually apartheid was good and white genocide is real' thing so no I don't quite think her being gal pals with Contra has made her a 'centrist' yet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair though yea I think she absolutely does call herself a 'centrist' using the whole 'hrm well the left thinks women are oppressed but I don't literally want to behead a woman for driving, so me saying 'actually women have the privilege over males and feminism is a lie' is quite middle ground' bullshit

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Puppy Time posted:

Do you think that following the process of Wayne securing transportation is going to improve the film at all?

I mean yeah, the movie established a goal and an obstacle in the way of it. it's enough for a movie in it's own. think about this, you could cut all of Luke's training with Yoda and the movie would be "the same" but having those scenes allows for the audiance to see lukes growth.

basicly just because it's not a "plot hole" doesn't mean it's a good decision.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I'm pretty sure she never actually disavowed the whole 'actually apartheid was good and white genocide is real' thing so no I don't quite think her being gal pals with Contra has made her a 'centrist' yet

Are you sure you aren't confusing her with like, Lauren Southern or some poo poo because I've never heard her say any of these things ever. Considering her stance on debating Richard Spencer I certainly doubt the "white genocide is real" thing for a start.

I think these days Theryn is kinda left-leaning libertarian probably

EDIT Annoying thing is Twitter suspended her recent account because they'd already suspended her first one for calling a prominent TERF a oval office so like, can't get any tweets or anything - they're gone. But I certainly recall her walking back and regretting a lot of things that she'd done in the past. Being friends with Contra clearly changed a ton for her and I think she's more than worth giving a shot.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 28, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I really feel like we need to make a policy of providing receipts if we're going to talk about this stuff, because it's pretty easy to mix people up and it'd be a shame to write someone off for lovely opinions they don't even hold. (Or don't hold anymore.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Max Wilco posted:

No, I don't think it would make the film better. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've seen Dark Knight Rises, but I do remember it being jarring that he arrives back in Gotham. You could have just had some throwaway line like, "I hid in the cargo storage of a plane", or have some quick five-second scene where he does that, and it might have made the transition a bit smoother. Now you can say, "Oh, he would have died in the cargo storage because of how cold it gets," and that I would reject, because I don't expect them to to be 100% accurate to how something like that would work.

If there's a scene, where a character in Los Angeles says, "I need to go to New York", and the next scene is them in New York, I assume they probably took a flight there. However, if it's established that the character has no money or resources, and they need to get there ASAP, then I think it's a little more prudent to show how they accomplish it. I get that it's not crucial to the film as whole, and I can make some assumption to how he got back, but I do think it's something of a distracting hiccup.

I just assumed he contacted the American embassy and requested crisis evacuation :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just assumed he’s goddamn Batman and can do anything

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I really feel like we need to make a policy of providing receipts if we're going to talk about this stuff, because it's pretty easy to mix people up and it'd be a shame to write someone off for lovely opinions they don't even hold. (Or don't hold anymore.)

In the case of people who don't hold such opinions now there's a line between still thinking that people need to do better and thinking that they haven't quite whipped their back enough for their liking, yeah. An extreme example would be someone still going off on like, Jim Sterling for the things he was saying years ago when he's clearly changed a huge amount. In this case I think it's pretty clear that Theryn's done plenty and doesn't hold those views, if she ever did - I can't and haven't been able to find anything to back up what sexpig's saying.

It's kinda dangerous too in some cases, especially when you have some people who'd be willing to go to court over being described a certain way (such as, for example, a highly prominent right-leaning transgender YouTuber who is currently pissing fire over an article that calls her an "ethnonationalist", claiming slander and threatening a lawsuit she'd likely win. Like sure, absolutely call someone a conservative and an rear end in a top hat and everything but things like that are waaayyy heavier and damaging).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kim Justice posted:

Like sure, absolutely call someone a conservative and an rear end in a top hat and everything but things like that are waaayyy heavier and damaging.

Maybe people should stop being literal ~ethnonationalists~ and espousing their viewpoints. "Highly prominent right-leaning" doesn't give me much to think they're probably not spouting poo poo like that.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 28, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Maybe people should stop being literal ~ethnonationalists~ and espousing their viewpoints.

dude I'm just saying it's not something I'd wanna pay mega lawyer bucks to try and defend saying about someone especially if I may lose in the end

EDIT: Well, you get one guess as to who's being referenced - there's kind of a difference though between "right leaning/conservative" and "wants to build a white ethnostate" though.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 28, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kim Justice posted:

dude I'm just saying it's not something I'd wanna pay mega lawyer bucks to try and defend saying about someone especially if I may lose in the end

Well I mean that’s not to shocking all things considered.

I personally prefer calling someone what they are personally.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

There's kind of a difference though between "right leaning/conservative" and "wants to build a white ethnostate" though.

Not really, not anymore over here. Mainstream right wingers will not condemn literal neo-nazis without their arm being twisted, even then, blatantly begrudgingly and only with a "WHAT ABOUT ANTIFFER THO" included.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yardbomb posted:

Not really, not anymore over here. Mainstream right wingers will not condemn literal neo-nazis.

There never was a difference, they are just finally willing to stop pretending.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean that’s not to shocking all things considered.

I personally prefer calling someone what they are personally.

Whatever, I'm talking legally so...y'know. I'd personally rather bankrupt myself on something else. Libel/slander laws are hosed.

EDIT: May as well go full context at this point. Blaire White is 1000% MAD about an article on The Verge which isn't actually about her - it's about Contra - but in the article the author calls her an ethnonationalist. She's been shouting about how damaging such things potentially are and that she's going to be taking it to court if the language isn't changed. It seems as though in this instance said language is going to be changed shortly...not that I doubt the author (Katharine Cross, as it happens) believes this still but, y'know, legal stuff is v expensive business and all that, personally highly stressful and all other such things. This all just made me think of it 'cause some people can bite when heavy (heaavvyyyyyy.../neil) terms are thrown around and laws being what they are, it can get very messy.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 28, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Theryn has straight up said that black south africans 'use' Apartheid for social points and that it wasn't THAT bad really, so yea maybe 'white genocide' was hyperbole but she sure as hell did mix her bullshit 'feminism is cancer' act with 'and ya know, SOME PEOPLE should also stop complaining wink wink'

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So anyways on Jim's video on fighting games. Man the comments section sucks "it's okay that's how it always has been with dozens of editions of fighting games" like that makes it a good practice.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

So anyways on Jim's video on fighting games. Man the comments section sucks "it's okay that's how it always has been with dozens of editions of fighting games" like that makes it a good practice.

Gamers are fascinatingly willing to defend publishers for openly and shamelessly ripping them off. Like, not even a resigned, "Yeah, it sucks, but I still wanna play, so there goes my money," but a direct, "No, there is nothing wrong here, they are good."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I just assumed he contacted the American embassy and requested crisis evacuation :shrug:

See, that idea never occurred to me, but that's something I would have wanted to see.

CelticPredator posted:

Batman just broke in and stole the footage to keep his methods a secret.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea 'but that's how it's always been' is hilarious when it's used to defend poo poo like 'wait why DOES SF5 need five different editions in 2018 when it's not being based off arcade cabinets that can have small changes that add up to making the console version feel lacking anymore?'

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Gamers are fascinatingly willing to defend publishers for openly and shamelessly ripping them off. Like, not even a resigned, "Yeah, it sucks, but I still wanna play, so there goes my money," but a direct, "No, there is nothing wrong here, they are good."

Man if we took the idea of corporations as people gaming corporations would be notable child brainwashers.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fighting games (Outside of animu poo poo I guess like BlazBlue Chrono EX Under/Birth Phantasmal v3) don't really do editions much anymore, it's just ongoing season passes to keep adding new guys now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I don't need an explanation for how the most resourceful man in the world got from A to B.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Theryn has straight up said that black south africans 'use' Apartheid for social points and that it wasn't THAT bad really, so yea maybe 'white genocide' was hyperbole but she sure as hell did mix her bullshit 'feminism is cancer' act with 'and ya know, SOME PEOPLE should also stop complaining wink wink'

Theryn has admitted to doing many bad things in pursuit of being "the reasonable trans" on YouTube, has talked about it quite extensively, left a fairly sizeable channel behind over it all because her views and her self is so incompatible with the things that are on there, has left the people she used to associate with (Lauren Southern/Jordan Peterson/etc.) behind, quite possibly even a person she was engaged to be married to behind over how she's changed politically, as a person and so forth. She may have done these things - I'd like something cited but...in any case, in terms of someone redeeming themself and changing what they are, is all this not enough? Like, it certainly seems as though she's kinda changed a hell of a lot.

EDIT: Of course I'd love to cite things myself, things she's said on these subjects in recent times particularly but Twitter's run by bastards so they're all gone.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 28, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

People are generally willing to defend their preferred brands lovely practices. It’s not just gamers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Theryn has admitted to doing many bad things in pursuit of being "the respectable trans" on YouTube, has talked about it quite extensively, left a fairly sizeable channel behind over it all because her views and her self is so incompatible with the things that are on there, has left the people she used to associate with (Lauren Southern/Jordan Peterson/etc.) behind, quite possibly even a person she was engaged to be married to behind over how she's changed politically, as a person and so forth. She may have done these things - I'd like something cited but...in any case, in terms of someone redeeming themself and changing what they are, is all this not enough? Like, it certainly seems as though she's kinda changed a hell of a lot.

I dunno, everyone has their own line for that stuff.

For me I guess it's a harder line or whatever but yea someone who started her public life as the president of an MRA group on her campus basically acting as a giant 'ha ha see how can you say they're misogynists???' shield and then used her platform to spread hate right up until she realized 'wait poo poo these guys who I've spent years encouraging to view women as lesser to them also view ME as lesser to them....' kinda doesn't get a quick 'redemption' in my view. It feels very self serving, it's the 'I never imagined leopards would eat MY face' joke. I feel sorry she got poo poo on by people she saw as friends but I also kinda don't see how it took it being directed at her for once for her to realize 'oh, wait, this mob of troglodytes I whip up into a frenzy is actually lovely and regressive and the people I cape for like professor kermit are just hucksters who will stab me in the back as soon as I can't help them....' Like, yea, that probably sucks to realize but how long did she spend demonizing other minorities and women in exactly the same way just to be ~respectable~ to people who proudly say they'll never respect people like her.

She's not just some rear end in a top hat who made a couple racist videos before realizing 'wait crap this is bad I'm dumb', her entire brand was 'TRANS WOMAN DESTROYS FEMINISTS/SJWS' and she was happy to cash in on it at the expense of others until it blew back on her.

Was it Southern or that Tomi Lahren psycho who recently had a similar thing where they dared to break kayfabe by saying 'wait no guys actually overturning roe v wade would be bad' and got all the chuds mad? She had a bit of 'oh wow I can't believe these right wing misogynists would be hateful to a woman with an opinion other than this' but went right back to 'but let's be real we have to put all the Muslims on a boat and send them into the sun' after spending a week or so getting attention as the right winger who bucked the flow. Maybe when Theryn actually uses her platform to advocate for progress and equality it'll feel less like a selfish thing to me.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are generally willing to defend their preferred brands lovely practices. It’s not just gamers.

True, but the gaming industry is so blatant with its grifting you'd think there'd be some kind of pushback.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

rudecyrus posted:

True, but the gaming industry is so blatant with its grifting you'd think there'd be some kind of pushback.

It might not be defending it. so much as it is a defeated attitude, where they just accept that this how they operate.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

For me I guess it's a harder line or whatever but yea someone who started her public life as the president of an MRA group on her campus basically acting as a giant 'ha ha see how can you say they're misogynists???' shield and then used her platform to spread hate right up until she realized 'wait poo poo these guys who I've spent years encouraging to view women as lesser to them also view ME as lesser to them....' kinda doesn't get a quick 'redemption' in my view. It feels very self serving, it's the 'I never imagined leopards would eat MY face' joke.

I feel like this whole line of reasoning ignores how heavily one's social context influences one's views and morals. Someone who's reached that level of bigotry probably didn't come by it by carefully comparing choices and then deciding, "Hm, yes, bigotry seems like the best option for me." They usually get there through a combination of the regular inculcation of a culture and having a like-thinking social group.

Humans are social animals to such an extent that we're often likely to agree with people saying that a line is shorter than another line, even if that's objectively wrong. That's just an incident with a group of strangers who'd never met before and wouldn't meet again- imagine if agreeing with the group is necessary for you to continue to have friends at all, to continue to have support from your family, to keep the connections that have allowed you to make a living.

Now, imagine making the choice to sacrifice everything you've built up, all the connections you made, all because you realized that it's terrible.

I think we're so troubled by people giving bad actors a pass that we're inclined to want people to make really extreme, unlikely changes, beyond what might be necessary. In my opinion, a person being willing to sacrifice at all, taking steps to abandon their old ways and become a better person, is something that should be applauded. Yes, they'll probably still hold some hosed up views, because unlearning this poo poo is a process, not a switch you flip. But that doesn't mean they need to be trashed wholeheartedly because they didn't have the same perspective a more "woke" person does, particularly when they've shown that they're willing to listen and learn.

Like, you don't have to watch or even like Theryn, but this whole attitude of "she changed for the wrong reasons and is therefore an inherently lovely person" is pretty bullshit.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Has theryn explicitly apologised for her batshit insane views on apartheid? I'm sure she's turning over a new leaf but drat, that's some bigoted rear end poo poo that I'd expect from a white supremacist.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Unrelated to the current topic but there's a pretty good profile up on The Verge about Contrapoints.

Those photos are awesome.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GrandpaPants posted:

Patrick Willems talks about plot holes and internet culture, with a couple digs at our favorite idiot film pedantry channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HivyjAKlc

Best part of the video for me is not anything in the video itself, but that it got both the Your Movie Sucks guy and "MauLer" (two obnoxious people who Youtube keeps recommending to me for some reason) bitching and moaning about it in the comments.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

VolticSurge posted:

Best part of the video for me is not anything in the video itself, but that it got both the Your Movie Sucks guy and "MauLer" (two obnoxious people who Youtube keeps recommending to me for some reason) bitching and moaning about it in the comments.

Adum wrote out a bit post and MauLer had a 5 hour(?) livestream chat with his audience about it so it's making waves.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Solitair posted:

what's to respect about extra credits these days

no I mean Chris, he liked their indepth review of Durlag's Tower so he just said to watch that instead of doing one himself

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

Has theryn explicitly apologised for her batshit insane views on apartheid? I'm sure she's turning over a new leaf but drat, that's some bigoted rear end poo poo that I'd expect from a white supremacist.

Do tell.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It was really dumb of Jim to single out Nintendo as an exception when they did literally the exact same thing as the others. His reasoning for it was pretty dumb, too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, as I recall it, Batman is just kind of awkwardly standing around in a random part of Gotham the next time you see him. That's not a tiny error in logic for nerds to argue about, that's a pretty jarring transition. His response to it is preeeetttyy lackluster... "Movies can't show literally everything, that would be dumb and boring!" is a total strawman.

Also, outside of Youtube hacks who are working the algo for all it's worth, I would honestly assume most people using the term plot hole, correctly or not, are using it as shorthand for "here's a thing that bugged me about the movie" and the real test is if they go "so yeah, that was weird, otherwise I had fun watching it/that took me out of the movie a bit so I think they could've done better with that part" or go "and that's why the movie sucks and is bad and dumb and furthermore... :words:".

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 28, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you can’t put together that Batman was able to do Batman things in a Batman movie you aren’t good at watching at Batman movie, and I also I don’t want to listen to you bitch about said Batman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Batman summon his batfriends for help, duh