Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TalkingBasically posted:

that people go about their lives when lisa has balls drives me up the wall

...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

lisa's voiced by a guy you literally cannot continue past this point without knowing that for every time you watch simpsons and register a girl talking, that's a man's voice. On TV.

I don't watch FOX TV

but i think it should bother you that you think a girl sounds like a man basically

TalkingBasically fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 28, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TalkingBasically posted:

lisa's voiced by a guy you literally cannot continue past this point without knowing that for every time you watch simpsons and register a girl talking, that's a man's voice. On TV.

I don't watch FOX TV

but i think it should bother you that you think a girl sounds like a man basically

:confused:

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

the idiot i am

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
BART is voiced by a woman btw!!!

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

BART is voiced by a woman btw!!!
true and intruiging

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

FilthyImp posted:

Mobile?
Ehhh. Mostly.

Yeah, the network change (went from ABC to Fox, right?) caused a bunch of changes, including softening Jay's animation model, adding Alice to be a constant girlfriend and doing away with all of Jay's weird gross single guy stuff.
Guess i didn't notice any of that as a kid. I really loved the movie parodies, though.

I love Alice, so that's fine.

I think it was the father-son relationship they wanted to be less dysfunctional. Think we got out of that merger acceptably unscathed.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

I was barely out of my teens when this (S14E18) first aired. To see the show I grew up with, just shoot itself in the head... Dark times man.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
homer spends all night eating"64 Slices of American Cheese"
the number 64 is a reference to kamasutra
American Cheese is birth control
assassin television
highly subversive

TalkingBasically fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 28, 2018

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

defaultluser posted:

The entirety of Season Six sucks compete and total rear end.

Nuclear take

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Tree Goat posted:

there's lots of scenarios where they cancel the simpsons, it's very easy to envision:

1) one of the few tribes scrounging for food in the last few arable pieces of land in the american wastelands is insufficiently vigilant in purifying their water, and the elders succumb to cholera. they did not specify a lore-keeper before this calamity and so the long oral tradition of the tribal simpsons-speaker, an unbroken chain of voice actors dating back to before the cataclysm, is forever severed.

2) a flaw in the central machine of the self-aware disney entertainment system causes an unstable feedback loop in the neural circuitry that imprisons the cast and crew in their statis pods. while its system of thought is entirely alien to ours, this malfunction creates a pattern of behavior that is somewhat analogous to the human notion of mercy. in the brief seconds before the error-correction and redundancy systems restore the status quo, the DES permits the cast the ultimate freedom: the freedom to die.

3) the last gasp of a super-massive dying star releases a gamma ray burst that bathes our planet in purifying radiation and we, the simpsons included, are snuffed out like a match on a windy day.

Wisdom

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TalkingBasically posted:

I don't watch FOX TV

what the gently caress is wrong with your head son. why would you make a post like this

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

hackbunny posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with your head son. why would you make a post like this
bad cartilage

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

TalkingBasically posted:

I think it should bother you that you sound like a blithering idiot who consumes paint chips and remarks upon it being red as it curdles in your moron belly

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

TalkingBasically posted:

I don't watch FOX TV

I know you already got sufficiently dunked on but

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the simpsons has poo poo out what, 20 years of poo poo at this point

i like that matt and trey realize when an episode or season was poo poo, and just push the show in a completely different direction

i feel like the show became all about Randy at one point in time, for years

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

i feel like the show became all about Randy at one point in time, for years

They've probably been the best episodes of late era south park too so its a good well to keep drawing from.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

TalkingBasically posted:

I don't watch FOX TV

a normal person would just say "huh, interesting I guess"

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TalkingBasically posted:

I don't watch FOX TV

“what was the lowest point of this thread?”

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I know you already got sufficiently dunked on but

did you know Apu isn't actually voiced by an Indian man?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The plots in the critic were fine, they were just always very silly.

Duke was the best supporting cast member of all time, and I use Duketastic for all sorts of things in my day to day and did something horrible but kinda funny happens I always refer to it as a Duketastrophe.

If you don’t think Jay Sherman playing the trumpet with his belly is funny, you should by a plane ticket to the SUN

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am very skeptical at the notion of people suggesting South Park ever had good episodes, but don't care enough to actually watch more South Park.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Matt and Trey hate the early South Park seasons now but I like them because they did weird crazy poo poo without every episode having to be a political lecture

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The only newish south parks I've seen were about occulus rift and internet memes. They were ok. At least as good as I remember southpark ever being.
I laughed at a cat saying "oh long johnson"

I think south park has more built-in longevity than the Simpsons because the Simpsons golden age relied on characters we cared about, but South Park's were always just props to hang jokes on.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I stopped watching South Park right after season 16, should I catch up on S17-S21? Y/N.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

fish and chips and dip posted:

I stopped watching South Park right after season 16, should I catch up on S17-S21? Y/N.

Some of it is OK.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't think I've watched an episode of South Park since 2010

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some of it is OK.

There's definitely some that would hold up, but a lot of them are so flavor-of-the-week that they would seem really dated if you were trying to force yourself to get back in to it.

You could probably skip the seasons that were more serialized (I think that's like 19-21) and the most recent season.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So many of the early SP episodes were unbelievably funny at the time just because of how transgressive the comedy was. An episode dunking on environmentalists and saying we have to stop the rain forest before it destroys us all! Lol!!

Then the real world kind of .. interfered

All the stuff SP trashed ironically because nobody could "seriously" trash it, the world's shitheads found a way to do it for real.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The last "episode" I watched was The Stick of Truth because someone told me it was a solid turn based RPG.

I skipped Fractured But Whole.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Razorwired posted:

The last "episode" I watched was The Stick of Truth because someone told me it was a solid turn based RPG.

I skipped Fractured But Whole.

:same:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I happen to be rewatching the early seasons right now, there's some good episodes there (including the aforementioned American Civil War one). On the other, and even though I'm no delicate flower, the casual/extreme violence is kind of unsettling. I've always wondered how many parents unwittingly traumatized their children letting them watch South Park, thinking it's a kids' show.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Phlegmish posted:

I happen to be rewatching the early seasons right now, there's some good episodes there (including the aforementioned American Civil War one). On the other, and even though I'm no delicate flower, the casual/extreme violence is kind of unsettling. I've always wondered how many parents unwittingly traumatized their children letting them watch South Park, thinking it's a kids' show.

I was definitely a flower growing up, I found gore upsetting. I was somehow allowed to watch South Park with the caveat that I don't repeat what I hear (lol) but even at its goriest, I just found it funny. I didn't like it when they showed live action (real or fake) images of gory footage, like they did in the one where you see footage of what Cartman sees when he closes his eyes.

But South Park's gore was always just funny and silly to me. I even had a friend who would black out at the sight or descriptuous mentions of blood and was okay seeing people's kneecap/testicles explode in a bloody mess and was fine with it.

My problem is with the people who form their world or political views via South Park but that's a derail.

snack eater posted:

did you know Apu isn't actually voiced by an Indian man?

Hank Azaria became hindu to continue voicing Apu, though.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 28, 2018

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Apu

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
there are tons of awful southpark episodes, but it's been on the air for over 20 years, it's going to happen.

2 guys in a hot tub, the civil war, scott tenorman, great ones

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've always wondered how many parents unwittingly traumatized their children letting them watch South Park, thinking it's a kids' show.

My parents used to watch it with me and my brothers (we were probably aged 5-10 at the time) and I'll never understand why they thought that was ok. They were never really strict with us (the only thing we weren't supposed to watch was R rated movies).

Like any good Christian family, sexual themes were the only thing that they ever really freaked out over, but South Park had that stuff too.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

fish and chips and dip posted:

It has its moments like when PC Principal was introduced but, yeah, just tune out when they go political.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 28, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Would I (as another hasn't-kept-up-with-SP-lately) be wrong in assuming PC Principal is a tiresome pink-haired horn-rimmed fussbudget who talks about snowflakes and safe spaces with all the subtlety of the principal in Cobra Kai?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Community (yes yes I know) did an excellent mockery of clipshow episodes by airing one entirely comprised of clips from non-existent episodes.

Clerks: The Animated Series' second episode is a clip show of the characters reminiscing about the first episode and a bunch of stuff that didn't happen. It was a neat idea, but since the show was like ABC's only ever attempt at adult animation and they did something like aired the fourth episode as the first episode during the super bowl, then followed the next week with the clip show episode so it made even less sense. ABC canceled it after that second episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Data Graham posted:

Would I (as another hasn't-kept-up-with-SP-lately) be wrong in assuming PC Principal is a tiresome pink-haired horn-rimmed fussbudget who talks about snowflakes and safe spaces with all the subtlety of the principal in Cobra Kai?

You would indeed be wrong but I’m not really sure how to correct you on it

PC principal is pretty great