Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

CPColin posted:

(lol except the bytes in the video RAM are packed little-endian and Java is expecting big-endian whoops)

nice

all this emulatorchat is making me think that i should give this emulator101 thing a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
got to use my favourite debugging method today: draw a bunch of rectangles on the screen and try to divine meaning from their locations

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
go for it but make a 68000, the objectively superior architecture

but make a 68010 since it can actually resume an instruction after an exception

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nah there’s no reason not to use Musashi for the 68000 family, even MAME uses it

if you want a challenge, upgrade your 8080 to a Z80! there’s a PDF on the internet that’s a 30 page description of how the Pac-Man hardware works

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
no do a fancy emulator like the table-based 68K emulator with deterministic timing that Apple wrote for PowerPC so even interrupt level code would just work

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jabor posted:

got to use my favourite debugging method today: draw a bunch of rectangles on the screen and try to divine meaning from their locations

Use colours, screenshot, then a colour picker to get the exact rgb!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
ctps: My current Go gripes:

So, being a .Net programmer by trade, I've grown accustomed to using cancellation tokens when I have multiple layers (both vertically and horizontally) of async calls that I need to shut down all at once when something goes wrong or a connection dies or something.

Go has something sort of similar: context. If you don't use contexts you end up having to create these things called signal channels, and you can monitor this channel in all your goroutines and when you close your signal channel (because one of your goroutines wants to shut everything down) your goroutines can all watch that channel and return out of their functions when it closes. Ok, fine.

With context, you get the same functionality, but it has the channel built in, as well as built-in support for timeouts and some other stuff. An n-tier set of services, correctly using context, will all shut their connections down gracefully when needed. It's kinda nice, allows a bit cleaner code than having these lovely signal channels all over the place.

Well, i'm now running into people in the golang community that loving haaaaattteeee context. It's been called a virus, for example, because it "infects" all layers of your code, which is kinda funny to me because I've seen the same argument against using async/await in .Net. In my mind, it's like decrying exceptions because "now we have try-catch all over our apps... you should just return errors :P", which is also a thing in golang, lmbo. I was told by one golang package maintainer that context is not idiomatic because you can accomplish the same thing without using contexts. Isn't that like saying "You can accomplish the same thing without using Go... just write assembly :P"?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the problem was that context was popping up in apis it had no business with. like you should absolutely use context in a web service context but people were using it solely as a scoped key-value store where a custom 'context' struct would have worked much better.

but yes, the backlash is real and stupid. the go community really struggles with concepts like 'sometimes thing good, sometimes thing bad'

if you introduce context, it will spread like a virus.

if you introduce generics, the language will be instantly transformed into enterprise java.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 27, 2018

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the go community really struggles with concepts like 'sometimes thing good, sometimes thing bad'

if you introduce context, it will spread like a virus.

if you introduce generics, the language will be instantly transformed into enterprise java.

okay now i understand why my coworker likes go

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

leper khan posted:

you people and your 8080s. try implementing something fun and esoteric, like a belt machine. if your want real fun, build the whole thing in VHDL after your emulator is working.

i did that for a masters course and still have nightmares

back in my university days (~10 years ago) i put together a dedicated machine in VHDL that synthesized a VGA controller, ram controller, and a few shift registers to interface with a NES controller, as well as an instruction set dedicated to playing a tank game like the old atari game. it was cool having a dedicated "bullet" instruction.

i don't think i could do it again, though.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

back in my university days (~10 years ago) i put together a dedicated machine in VHDL that synthesized a VGA controller, ram controller, and a few shift registers to interface with a NES controller, as well as an instruction set dedicated to playing a tank game like the old atari game. it was cool having a dedicated "bullet" instruction.

play exapunks, in it you program a gameboy-like in assembly-like

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
wanted to take a look at some of our ssis packages but apparently they broke vsta in vs 15.8. thanks michaelsoft

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

gonadic io posted:

play exapunks, in it you program a gameboy-like in assembly-like

oh i bought it on launch day, of course, like every zachtronics thing.

i just dont think i could do VHDL again lol

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we did the same (well, the NES controller bit) at my college, was so much fun but I haaaated Verilog

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

current adventure: paging

I haven't figured out how to actually set up kernel processes with their own address space yet but the MMU is pointing everything below the 1MB barrier to itself? lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

vhdl and verilog are cursed languages and hardware is a nightmare tarpit

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

anthonypants posted:

wanted to take a look at some of our ssis packages but apparently they broke vsta in vs 15.8. thanks michaelsoft

we used to have dts packages so old that I was the only person that could view them because I was the only one that bothered to hack together a dts 2000 install to open them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've been loving around with game dev the last few days since i was doing stuff with ggez and god help me i kinda want to do this more seriously.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've been loving around with game dev the last few days since i was doing stuff with ggez and god help me i kinda want to do this more seriously.

Did you see the post of the ggez author using it and specs (an ecs component system) for the latest Ludlum dare?

https://wiki.alopex.li/LD42Postmortem

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also: gamedev and in fact any non-cli user interface are all poo poo. Posting json is the only way to fly imo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

Did you see the post of the ggez author using it and specs (an ecs component system) for the latest Ludlum dare?

https://wiki.alopex.li/LD42Postmortem

did not see it, will check it out!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive read about ecs a lot and it seems like a really cool pattern to use, especially if you are doing something like a turn based roguelike

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is the post ghost back

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is the post ghost back

dunno, i havent noticed.

regarding rls+vscode and intellij+rust extension: my laptop is in for repairs so i'm developing on my desktop which is much beefier, obv. the experience of using RLS is much much better on a beefy system, and intellij is better as well. i'll probably continue to code on my desktop after my laptop is fixed because this is just much better.

also my emulator runs just fine on linux as well as osx, so that's neat.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
laptops are the loving worst. if you work with computers your employer should at the very least have the god damned decency to provide you with a workstation - a real computer that can actually use its cpu without thermal throttling after thirty seconds, and that you can actually repair, not one of these small plastic toys urging you to bring work with you wherever you go. for too long we have accepted the mountain coming to muhammad as natural. physically leaving your desk should be equivalent to mentally leaving work behind. bringing your loving laptop with you is dysfunctional as gently caress.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ban laptops

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
or at least impose heavy tax penalties on them, gently caress

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is the post ghost back

it is. i saw you were the last reply for awhile and the "new replies" marker said there was a new reply, but i couldn't see your post at all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

terrible programmer status: I couldn't figure out why my shading routine didn't work

the formula for finding the shading ratio of a vertex is: take the dot product of the normalized vector (light_position - vertex_position) and the normal after transformation

I was projecting a vertex, then normalizing (light_position - vertex_position) :doh:

now I have a cube

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1034337242196652032

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Experimenting w/ our legacy codebase last night I found that our application doesn't start its idle timer until a few steps in to the login process, so you can leave the screen on a confirmation window and then leave the software open overnight.

This is accounting software that cares A WHOLE BUNCH about date/session ranges to do accountability reports on where money goes :stoked:

Also the idle timer is a single DispatchTimer with a 15 minute Interval that just locks the program on Tick, any anytime you do something that matters enough, it resets that timer and makes a new interval, which can't start until the current one has ended. So if you're idle for 7 minutes then do something, your idle timeout is now 22 minutes instead of 15.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Experimenting w/ our legacy codebase last night I found that our application doesn't start its idle timer until a few steps in to the login process, so you can leave the screen on a confirmation window and then leave the software open overnight.

This is accounting software that cares A WHOLE BUNCH about date/session ranges to do accountability reports on where money goes :stoked:

Also the idle timer is a single DispatchTimer with a 15 minute Interval that just locks the program on Tick, any anytime you do something that matters enough, it resets that timer and makes a new interval, which can't start until the current one has ended. So if you're idle for 7 minutes then do something, your idle timeout is now 22 minutes instead of 15.

gently caress yeah legacy desktop app

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I have a random dumb question...

What does it take to do consultancy? Like, if I wanted to offer consultant services as a "highly experienced" software developer and architect, do I need to know anything beyond cs basics and various software designs? I feel like I could easily go into a business and tell them how they're doing everything wrong, and come up with a plan for fixing things.

Anyone here do this kinda stuff or is it really awful somehow?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there are going to be two hard requirements for independent consultancy - nice and lengthy-ish experience on paper and ability to hold conversation that client's business and tech leads will both find likeable

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've kinda been wondering about the same. the most convenient thing for me ATM would be to establish a freelancing/consultancy business, so i can focus on going back to school or whatever i want while still paying the bills.

while i've got the experience to back it up, i'm really not great with strangers and would not enjoy having to deal with a revolving door of new, demanding faces. also i'd probably let myself be a doormat and would have a hard time saying no to unreasonable expectations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

IME, sometimes it owns, sometimes it sucks. If you can keep the doors open and bills paid then it mostly owns. Oh you want to gently caress off out of town for a couple days mid-week? Great! You want to knock out a project and take a month off before the next one starts? No problem!

However I'd say the number-one hard requirement is a solid pipeline of work, however you come by it. Someone in here mentioned that consultants live and die by billing and it's super true. It's tempting to get wrapped up in a project doing the fun stuff and forget about beating the pavement for the next bit of work, especially if you're delivering what feels like a big project for what sounds like big money. It's probably not as much money as you think it is and it always takes longer to get it in the door than you expect.

At least you don't have some dipshit boss telling you how to live your life, because the dipshit boss is now you!!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

My personal gold standard of consulting life goals is a story I heard from a friend who worked for a metrology product manufacturer. There was a dude with a box that they would hire every so often to come in to the facility. They would put a device in his box, he would press a button, and later on a report would pop out, along with an invoice for >$100,000.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Spime Wrangler posted:

My personal gold standard of consulting life goals is a story I heard from a friend who worked for a metrology product manufacturer. There was a dude with a box that they would hire every so often to come in to the facility. They would put a device in his box, he would press a button, and later on a report would pop out, along with an invoice for >$100,000.

Is this a metaphor is that literally what happened??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lets start the yospos consulting group

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I feel like the litmus test of contracting is if you roll your own billing/invoicing setup. If you do, you've failed already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

lets start the yospos consulting group

lots of money to be made consulting on wiki's