Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AlternateAccount posted:

I think that's a major milestone in admin maturity. Once pets become cattle life is better for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Bob Morales posted:

Naming servers fun names, was fun.

We did all Tool songs until a customer complained.

Customer didn't like Stinkfist or Hooker with a Penis?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Put that poo poo on a hard drive and go to Fed Ex.

Not my problem fortunately, I'm just on one of the DLs receiving communication about it. We're strangely resistant to the sneakernet for stuff like this even when it becomes painfully obvious that it will be faster and more reliable, despite having offices and onsite techs in most major cities in the country.

Aunt Beth posted:

Roughly when did fun server names go from entertaining to nuisance? Is it a scale thing? Do small shops still do it because they can remember that Doc is DNS and Dopey is mail and Sneezy is files? I've been in midsize and large orgs for the past quite a while and we just use names that are useful in determining the server's location and role.

It's scale. When you've got 5 or 10 servers cutesy names are fine because it's easy to remember or reference. When you have 200 you kinda need to know the location and function at a glance.

Renegret posted:

Hello, it's your friendly neighborhood NOC here.

Your cute server names are fun and all, but when BATMAN goes down in 1AM and there's no documentation on what it actually is, I'm waking your rear end up.

Yeah, this is a big problem. Customer emails in 'hey our phones are down please check on and reboot the SCCM servers if necessary'
Bitch you have 50 servers named after stuff in Harry Potter, how the gently caress am I supposed to know which ones handle that? It just adds time and confusion to requests and tasks. If you're going to insist on doing it that way you need to give us the names of the servers you have concerns about.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Customer didn't like Stinkfist or Hooker with a Penis?

Probably a liquor distributor not down with Sober

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

AlternateAccount posted:

I think that's a major milestone in admin maturity. Once GANDALF becomes ATLVDC03 life is better for everyone.

I don't mind naming some "Specials" with a memorable name, we had a "Paashaas" (easter bunny, was put into production during easter) and "Stoomboot" (steamboat, was put into production during sinterklaas) cluster computing setup at my last job. But they both did one job and they were huge.
But when it's another cog in a big setup, I don't care.

I'm currently trying to get rid of our Horses because their names are not very helpful in determining what it is they actually do.

Also: my last job was really bad about reusing host names, which lead to a big confusion when they gave a desktop name I just retired to a massive server machine with 1.5TB of RAM and god knows how many cores.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 28, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is it just me as an outsider, or is the solution painfully obvious?
Just give your poo poo logical names and append the fun one to it. That way if DNS-00445-HAMSTERBALL is down, you can still complain about how the hamster escaped from hamsterball, but at the same time you can figure out what it's supposed to be.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Had what I believe to be one of the better interviews I've ever done at a company that I'd love to work at on Friday.

Dear Lord I'm trying to mitigate my hopes so I don't get let down if they go with someone else but I'm freakin' dying here :ohdear:

I desperately need to :yotj: so I never end up in a company small enough to go "hey, the helpdesk guy sucks, let's fire them and have MJP cover it"

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Ignorant question: What's the story behind :yotj: ?

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
We use a combination of abbreviated company name-function or role-which server in the order it is-a letter to tell if it is physical or virtual (for some reason), so you get something like "aasql01s" for a SQL server. The physical units then have this name attached to the front and back on a label for the Data Centre team to reference.

What we then did, was add DNS aliases to certain servers so we can all talk about dickripper9000 in the office and how we need to reboot it, how it's busting our balls, even if the inventory and machine name is aavirtualpc01v. This is quite cathartic as some services are so frustrating and it feels like a win to call something "poopyface"

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

KillianLett posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2385

Not sure about the actual smiley.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah I'd love to know what that smiley is supposed to be.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah, this is a big problem. Customer emails in 'hey our phones are down please check on and reboot the SCCM servers if necessary'
Bitch you have 50 servers named after stuff in Harry Potter, how the gently caress am I supposed to know which ones handle that? It just adds time and confusion to requests and tasks. If you're going to insist on doing it that way you need to give us the names of the servers you have concerns about.
SCCM would obviously be Flitwick. GOSH.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Geemer posted:

Is it just me as an outsider, or is the solution painfully obvious?
Just give your poo poo logical names and append the fun one to it. That way if DNS-00445-HAMSTERBALL is down, you can still complain about how the hamster escaped from hamsterball, but at the same time you can figure out what it's supposed to be.

DNS-00445-HAMSTERBALL is not a valid NETBIOS name, and will get truncated in a bunch of places in Windows. I don't know if linux environments have the same issue.

KillianLett posted:

Year of the job. Once upon a time, we were all goons in wells, and as we started helping each other out, the movement was born. I think the first :yotj: started with Midlen(sp?) and a few other announced new and better jobs shortly afterwards.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

rujasu posted:

Yeah I'd love to know what that smiley is supposed to be.

I always thought it was a little guy with a party hat and one of those blow-into-it-and-it-unrolls party favors.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

I think that's a major milestone in admin maturity. Once GANDALF becomes ATLVDC03 life is better for everyone.

This is 100% true.

It is also true that I miss my naming scheme of using US missiles for Solaris and Soviet missiles for Linux.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ConfusedUs posted:

I always thought it was a little guy with a party hat and one of those blow-into-it-and-it-unrolls party favors.

IIRC, there was one that was called toot, that is/was like that. Someone modified it so that it's a bottle, as we all tend to be drinkers.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

ConfusedUs posted:

You're spot on.
:yotj: is similar looking to :toot: which was why I was a little confused for the duplicate smiley.

Ninja Edit:

TWBalls posted:

IIRC, there was one that was called toot, that is/was like that. Someone modified it so that it's a bottle, as we all tend to be drinkers.

That makes even more sense. Thanks!

KillianLett fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 28, 2018

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

no that's a different smiley, :toot:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Aunt Beth posted:

Roughly when did fun server names go from entertaining to nuisance? Is it a scale thing? Do small shops still do it because they can remember that Doc is DNS and Dopey is mail and Sneezy is files? I've been in midsize and large orgs for the past quite a while and we just use names that are useful in determining the server's location and role.

It's a scale thing for sure. If you have a half dozen "pets" for your entire operation then call them whatever you want, as long as all your computer janitors can keep them straight in their heads, it'll probably be fine. New additions to the team will take a little longer to learn what servers perform what function but with a list that short the difference is probably negligible.

IMO it's when you start thinking about your applications in tiers and scaling horizontally (or if you just have a lot of one-off boxes that perform a single role or run a single application each), the cute naming scheme turns into a nightmare.

If you have a completely greenfield environment and can do it right from the start, you should. It's less "fun" but if you establish a standard for naming, the people that work on those servers a year or ten down the line probably will not curse you for naming things like an idiot.

There is a balance to be struck though. One place I worked went through three different naming conventions for servers in the span of about 5 years (and we're talking a thousand+ boxes running hundreds of different LOB applications). They started out simple:

[datacenter][role][number]

As the business and IT processes matured, so did the names:

[datacenter][environment][application][role][number]

They zoned the network off too so naturally that had to get added to the name:

[datacenter][environment][zone][application][role][number]

Eventually the server names just became alphabet soup.

RDTNFAPPLAS01

Richardson Datacenter Test Non-customer-Facing [4 digit abbreviation for application's name] App Server 01

I think they eventually went to five or six characters for the abbreviated app name because they started having collisions :allears:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Holy poo poo it's a bottle

I've been trying to figure that out for a couple years now...

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah boy that was a while back

We were totally cheering a bunch of people on to break free and get new jobs with some excellent success stories

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Holy poo poo it's a bottle

I've been trying to figure that out for a couple years now...

It's a bottle of bawls energy drink even

don't ask why

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

The university I went to to finish up my degree had named all the servers after planets in Battletech. It actually made a lot of sense once you worked out that "subdomain" mapped roughly to "nation" and there was a hierarchy of importance from the DC/capital on down.

Unfortunately the dude who knew what it meant left ages back, so the current IT staff were all :shrug: when I asked them about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guy a few jobs ago named all the machines in his lab cluster after Hindu deities. I couldn't tell if he was being super devout or super tongue-in-cheek, and I could never figure out how to ask

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We had a couple named after things that people seemed to go out of their way to complain about or take offense to.

That was briefly replaced with a code and serial number like UCS4859a2d35

Which ... no one thought to write down where the gently caress any of that was when it was hardware .

I’ll look for Batman, Zeus, and Interocitor over that poo poo any day.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Served tomorrow...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My feeling is, less than 10 servers? Go hog-wild with the names, bonus if they somewhat make sense, like Moe being your exchange server.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spankmeister posted:

It's a bottle of bawls energy drink even

don't ask why

I assumed it was Skyy vodka.

MF_James posted:

My feeling is, less than 10 servers? Go hog-wild with the names, bonus if they somewhat make sense, like Moe being your exchange server.

I give everything boring names like "Zabbix" and "Graylog" in ESX and our DNS but drat if I don't want to come up with esoteric names for everything.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
we are about to replace a bunch of servers so I called a planning meeting where I got a bit miserable about naming conventions

We name location-role-number

My boss noticed some of the numbers across various current servers are 01/02 for arbitrary reasons so he said let’s make everything 03 so we know they were all replaced in this refresh - why don’t we call them 18 so we know they were from 2018 was apparently too log

Also querying why some servers are named after their role (eg AV) yet some others are named after the specific software - which we do tend to change - was rejected

I’m still right

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Inspector_666 posted:

I assumed it was Skyy vodka.

Yeah, that's what it is.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I assumed it was Cloud vodka.

Yeah, that’s what it is.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Malek posted:

Served tomorrow...

Ha, hopefully they don't take that too seriously.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

PBS posted:

Ha, hopefully they don't take that too seriously.

They won't. I made sure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Malek posted:

Served tomorrow...

So that’s what you sent me. I thought it was a funny way of saying you were heading back to OK.

That’s way better, though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Server naming conventions mean I got to name a server SLTYWH0R once.

Good times. That was $(Job-1), so damned if I can remember what the particular codes were.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So that’s what you sent me. I thought it was a funny way of saying you were heading back to OK.

That’s way better, though.

Nah this is being served on my last day there. Along with about 24 tamales from this local joint

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

We just have two host names, one functional which changes via load balance or master/slave and one that is the specific machine.
Like "database" points to the master db and "daring" and "diligent" are db01 and db02.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

All the servers have been practically named since before I got here. The network printers however are hog-wild and there's people in each office that take it deathly seriously - we bought a plotter a couple of years ago and were told to run an email poll on what to call it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Our servers are all boring. Asterisk servers go [datacenter]-[zonenumber]-[servernumber] and the rest go [datacenter]-[type]. One of the DCs abbreviates to VAP, so once in a while someone will accidentally type VAPE, which is especially amusing if they try to submit a ticket about it.

Our conference rooms are all named after sandwiches though, which makes meetings around lunchtime even more unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I was once asked to name a bunch of meeting room calendars in one of our sites after various Leicester City football players.

Also, I once worked for an Opera company where all of the servers were named after various Operas which was especially confusing because they had no relationship to what the servers were even used for. Plus I know dick all about opera so that didn't help.