Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this thread is a pretty safe space so I don't want to rag on you too hard but this is incredible to me

This misunderstanding is very common, among many other aspects of cars it is something that non-car people just don't think about unless they have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanna see what you guys think -

Proposed Budget: $15,000, I could stretch to 20k but no higher

New or Used: Used

Body Style: 4 door mid-sized sedan or crossover, bonus if crossover has captain's chairs in the front.

How will you be using the car?: Commuter car. Wife and I carpool and have 25 mile commute one way in Houston traffic. The car may occasionally take a third passenger or two dogs and do a 500 mile round trip to north Texas. We currently have a 2011 Altima that we're selling to our son.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
1. 4 cylinder non-hybrid engine, so far not trusting a used hybrid
2. Decent hip room for average middle aged Americans. We weren't impressed with the newer Altimas, thus why we're shopping.
3. No leather, as the dogs will mess that up
4. Can only talk the wife into a Japanese car thus far, but I'm not opposed to an American car (my previous car was a Camaro, Hurricane Harvey got it, now have a Tundra)

So far I've found three cars that sound like fit the bill -

1. Honda Accord
2. Mazda CX5
3. Subaru Legacy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the prius is like the most reliable car on god's green earth he says for the six millionth time in this thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I bought a Camry because the Prius is too small.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Is the Outback reliable, KGJ?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hybrids are unreliable!
Wants to buy a subaru.
Ha.

Buy a toyota hybrid of your choice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Is the Outback reliable, KGJ?

the H6 is fairly reliable as far as I'm aware

most people's experiences stem from mid-2000s subarus which had a lot of trouble with the automatic transmission and the head gaskets on the four cylinder

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the H6 is fairly reliable as far as I'm aware

most people's experiences stem from mid-2000s subarus which had a lot of trouble with the automatic transmission and the head gaskets on the four cylinder

The newer engine has issues too.
Only the H6 is safe.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

nm posted:

Hybrids are unreliable!
Wants to buy a subaru.
Ha.

Buy a toyota hybrid of your choice.

It's not the reliability I'm questioning, it's not trusting a dealer to sell me a 15k car that immediately needs a 5k battery job. Can the battery output be checked in a pre-purchase inspection?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes incredibly easily

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Also the battery warranty is so long that basically any $15k car is going to have years left on the warranty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also, you don't seem to have the same concern about any of the other components that can fail asymptomatically

the battery degrades gradually. if it actually fails, that's warrantable. the failure rate of hybrid EV batteries is extremely low. mean lifetime on the Gen 2 battery pack is somewhere north of 125k miles

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Quick question: Are there any better or comparable-but-cheaper hybrid/plug-in hybrid options than a used Chevy Volt? I'm capped at ~$15k and have found a few volts for sale near me that are in the $12-14k range, but want to double check if there's any potential better options.

e. I know the thread highly recommends the Prius but I'm in the Bay Area where everybody and their mother wants or has a Prius so 99% of what I can find for sale is either a) marked up like crazy or b) has insane miles on it. Sometimes both.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 30, 2018

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also, you don't seem to have the same concern about any of the other components that can fail asymptomatically

the battery degrades gradually. if it actually fails, that's warrantable. the failure rate of hybrid EV batteries is extremely low. mean lifetime on the Gen 2 battery pack is somewhere north of 125k miles

This is worth repeating: even if a Prius has a completely worn out battery, it then just becomes A Normal Car. The gas mileage will not be as good but it's pretty much entirely drivable.

Compare this to, say, a Subaru with a worn out head gasket, which can leave you on the side of the road with a bill for a new engine.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

OK so I'll add a hybrid Camry to my list and knock off the Subaru. I think the Prius may be a little too small.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

You also mentioned dog ownership, which might affect your decisions. Reliability aside, most dog owners I know love Outbacks for the relatively low hatch. I don't know if you have a chihuahua or a great Dane, but hatches in general are helpful.

I also find it interesting that you prefer not to have leather for dog reasons. My sister got so sick of trying to vacuum dog hair out of cloth seats that she actually bought a full set of leatherette seat covers. Those might be the best bet if you want to preserve the upholstery.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I didn't think about the Outback, they seem to run just a little over budget for the current model. Same with the Mazda CX-9. From a quick glance they appear to have the same 2.5L engine as the Legacy, would it be just as prone to the head gasket issues?

As for leatherette, I've tried that on the Altima and the dogs managed to rip it up to the point I ended up vacuuming leatherette every time I took the cover off. We switched to a heavy duty polyester cover with rubber backing, that's been a lot tougher. Doesn't totally solve the shedding problem but I don't mind vacuuming the car out.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 30, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Korranus posted:

I didn't think about the Outback, they seem to run just a little over budget for the current model. Same with the Mazda CX-9. From a quick glance they appear to have the same 2.5L engine as the Legacy, would it be just as prone to the head gasket issues?

The newer FA-series 4-cylinder motor doesn’t have the same rampant head gasket issues of the old EJ motor, but instead has rampant oil consumption issues that Subaru is getting sued over.

The EZ-series 6-cylinder motor in the Outback 3.6R is the most bulletproof of the bunch but is more pricey and more thirsty, but also better suited to a car of the Outback’s size and weight.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Outback is also ludicrously pricy with that engine, for what it is. You can't get modern headlights at all without getting well into the 40s ffs.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

shovelbum posted:

The Outback is also ludicrously pricy with that engine, for what it is. You can't get modern headlights at all without getting well into the 40s ffs.

My buddy got a loaded up Outback 3.6R last year. It is admittedly quite a nice car, and it is an exceptional outdoorsy road trip car. 4 full size adults + a lot of gear is very comfortable all day.

Is it 40k nice? Ehhh depends on if you really need the offroadability or not. If you look at it through the lens of "actually somewhat capable but comfortable offroad SUV" it becomes one of the cheaper semi-luxury options amongst more expensive competitors. It's not a true luxury car by any stretch, but the top trim interior and features are pretty nice, the H6 gives it a respectable hustle, and the EyeSight adaptive cruise and lane assist stuff is nice for long road trips (but useless in the city).

If you don't actually need the ride height or AWD system there are likely better options for the money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

plester1 posted:

This is worth repeating: even if a Prius has a completely worn out battery, it then just becomes A Normal Car. The gas mileage will not be as good but it's pretty much entirely drivable.

Compare this to, say, a Subaru with a worn out head gasket, which can leave you on the side of the road with a bill for a new engine.

Counterpoint: a Prius with a dead HV pack will set a check engine light so while it is drivable, that makes it unregisterable in many places.

However, emissions devices, which the HV pack is considered, have an 8 year / 80k warranty at minimum. I've seen exactly one Prius with a HV pack fail by then, and it failed with less than two months to go. The owner is to cars what kastein is to computers - he emits a reality distortion field that makes even Priuses unreliable.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Korranus posted:

Wanna see what you guys think -

Proposed Budget: $15,000, I could stretch to 20k but no higher

New or Used: Used

Body Style: 4 door mid-sized sedan or crossover, bonus if crossover has captain's chairs in the front.

How will you be using the car?: Commuter car. Wife and I carpool and have 25 mile commute one way in Houston traffic. The car may occasionally take a third passenger or two dogs and do a 500 mile round trip to north Texas. We currently have a 2011 Altima that we're selling to our son.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
1. 4 cylinder non-hybrid engine, so far not trusting a used hybrid
2. Decent hip room for average middle aged Americans. We weren't impressed with the newer Altimas, thus why we're shopping.
3. No leather, as the dogs will mess that up
4. Can only talk the wife into a Japanese car thus far, but I'm not opposed to an American car (my previous car was a Camaro, Hurricane Harvey got it, now have a Tundra)

So far I've found three cars that sound like fit the bill -

1. Honda Accord
2. Mazda CX5
3. Subaru Legacy

No leather? Hair comes off waaaaay easier. And I dunno about you but why wouldn't you just get a seat cover anyway?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

No leather? Hair comes off waaaaay easier. And I dunno about you but why wouldn't you just get a seat cover anyway?

I've already got a seat cover and I don't mind vacuuming, so leather isn't a priority.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Quick question: Are there any better or comparable-but-cheaper hybrid/plug-in hybrid options than a used Chevy Volt? I'm capped at ~$15k and have found a few volts for sale near me that are in the $12-14k range, but want to double check if there's any potential better options.

e. I know the thread highly recommends the Prius but I'm in the Bay Area where everybody and their mother wants or has a Prius so 99% of what I can find for sale is either a) marked up like crazy or b) has insane miles on it. Sometimes both.
Depends on what you mean by insane miles. A 150k prius is just being broken in.
That said, any other toyota hybrid doesn't have the premium and will just be as reliable. Avoid Honda and Nissan hybrids. I think maybe the Ford ones are ok, but not 100% on that.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Counterpoint: a Prius with a dead HV pack will set a check engine light so while it is drivable, that makes it unregisterable in many places.

However, emissions devices, which the HV pack is considered, have an 8 year / 80k warranty at minimum. I've seen exactly one Prius with a HV pack fail by then, and it failed with less than two months to go. The owner is to cars what kastein is to computers - he emits a reality distortion field that makes even Priuses unreliable.
And most places where they emissions test, you'll have a 10yr/150k mi warranty. Note, however, that this is based on the state of purchase or first registration, so if you buy a car in California that was purchased and registered first in Oklahoma, you get 8 years. In OK, if your car was first in CA, you get 10 years.
Also note that there are a whole bunch of people who can fix prius batteries for way less than Toyota wants.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 1, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The early Altima hybrid is a licensed Toyota design, it's fine. I also think you wrote avoid toyota hybrids which is the opposite of what you should do!

The Volt is a good car and reliable, but the Gen 1 is a four seater and the Gen 2 is a five seater that is very tight. If you are doing anything other than commuting or driving one or two other people, it's small.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nm posted:

Depends on what you mean by insane miles. A 150k prius is just being broken in.
That said, any other toyota hybrid doesn't have the premium and will just be as reliable. Avoid Toyota and Nissan hybrids. I think maybe the Ford ones are ok, but not 100% on that.

I will assume you didn't mean to tell me to both buy and avoid Toyota hybrids, and to just buy them. :v: Still I appreciate the input, and I'll cruise for other Toyota hybrids and a decently priced Prius if I can find one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Volt is a good car and reliable, but the Gen 1 is a four seater and the Gen 2 is a five seater that is very tight. If you are doing anything other than commuting or driving one or two other people, it's small.

Yeah I've heard the interior feels small and that some people have visibility issues. I still actually need to go out and test drive this stuff, the Volt just floated to the top of my list because there are quite a few near me available for sale with a good price/mileage combo. I'd probably be looking at a 2014 model, which I believe is Gen 1.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't have visibility issues in my dad's Gen 2, for what it's worth. It's a great car, just with a few limitations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sydin posted:

I will assume you didn't mean to tell me to both buy and avoid Toyota hybrids, and to just buy them. :v: Still I appreciate the input, and I'll cruise for other Toyota hybrids and a decently priced Prius if I can find one.

Yeah I've heard the interior feels small and that some people have visibility issues. I still actually need to go out and test drive this stuff, the Volt just floated to the top of my list because there are quite a few near me available for sale with a good price/mileage combo. I'd probably be looking at a 2014 model, which I believe is Gen 1.

The Volt and the Prius aren't really the same kind of car. Basically don't buy a Volt unless you specifically want to plug it in at home or at work every day and plan on running mostly on electricity.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've been specifically looking for plug-in hybrids because 90% of my driving is in and around the south Bay Area so I could probably keep one running on electric most of the time. My commute to work is also only 15 miles and I only drive in on Fridays anyway.

Is the Prius Plug-In any good? There's a used 2014 model for sale near me at a good price with just under 100K miles on it.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It's a Prius that only gets 12 miles of all electric range, iirc

edit: I think a used Volt is a much better value if you want maximum all electric range plus generator

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yikes, yeah would definitely go for the Volt over that then, there are a couple 2014 Volts near me at or below the price of the Prius, with less miles to boot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So what is the deal with early FRS/BRZ as a daily driver? I'm seeing them in nice shape below $10k with 120k-ish miles.
Seems the Toyobaru thread is gone and dead. Too bad about the bullshit 5x100 lug pattern.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/2013-scion-frs/6664573079.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i mean my opinion is that i want my daily to be at least somewhat more practical than my fun car so the toyobarus are not exactly checkin a lot of boxes in that regard

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo has to be more practical than the S2000, though you can fit a bunch of poo poo once you remove the soft top and all of the interior panels :v:

i realized i've been buying stupid practical daily drivers for a few years and used that practicality less than i can count on my hands

(and an elise is more than i want to spend)

e: also, as we know, i have terrible automotive adhd

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 31, 2018

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Proposed Budget: $30k-$45k but flexible, also open to leasing if it makes more sense
New or Used: New, or if used then close to new
Body Style: Preferably 4d sedan, willing to consider crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. Not a long commute now, but that could change.

What aspects are most important to you? Comfort (I'm on the tall side) > reliability > performance > MPG > cost to maintain

I am currently leasing a Mazda 6, and the lease is up in the beginning of the year. I like the car and would consider getting another, except the seats are super uncomfortable. I'm on the taller side, and while I fit in the car fine, the ergonomics are less than ideal. For one, the seats are too short. As a result, most of my leg is unsupported, which sucks.

Also driven Altima and Accord and find them underwhelming and uncomfortable. I've also driven the CX5 (ok, but too sluggish for my tastes) and HRV (hated it).

I'm not much of a "car person," so my instinct was to consider BMW or Volvo since they are supposedly designed with taller drivers in mind. I'm also not opposed to something a little more fun to drive.

However, I hear the reliability/cost of ownership is high, so I don't know whether to consider leasing, looking at other brands (or where to start), or to consider CPO (supposedly Volvo has a decent CPO warranty). I'm adjacent affluent areas in South Florida, so access to dealership/mechanic isn't a big deal.

I'm not in a huge rush, but I am not sure if I stand to save more by buying or leasing an end-of-year model now vs. waiting until my lease is up in March, so I figure I should start looking now.

Thanks in advance!

Enigma fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 1, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah, that should say "Honda."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't have visibility issues in my dad's Gen 2, for what it's worth. It's a great car, just with a few limitations.

I will say that I don't love the gen 2's visibility, but I'm also 6'4" and most of the issues are that the roof and mirror get in the way.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Considering a new Prius but on my 40 min commute the speed of traffic is usually around 75 MPH, will that pretty much remove most of the benefit of the hybrid or would it still get respectable MPG?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’ll still get fine MPG. It won’t be as good at 75mph but what car would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Jerome Louis posted:

Considering a new Prius but on my 40 min commute the speed of traffic is usually around 75 MPH, will that pretty much remove most of the benefit of the hybrid or would it still get respectable MPG?

It will still be better than the vast majority of non hybrids, just not literally double like it would be in the city. The gas engines on hybrids run on Atkinson cycle, meaning they are more efficient at the cost of power and acceleration, which the electric motor makes up for. Even running on steady state on the highway they are more efficient. This advantage is not as pronounced vs newer gas engines that can also switch between cycles but it's still there.