Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for July, 2018?
This poll is closed.
:rory: Kenny Omega (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 37 56.06%
:meowth: Carmella (Smackdown Women's Champion) 8 12.12%
:love: Kento Miyahara (FORMER Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:zoro: Zeus (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 9 13.64%
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 3 4.55%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:miedo: Pentagon Jr (Lucha Underground Champion) 0 0%
:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (Impact Global Champion) 1 1.52%
Dalton Castle (FORMER ROH World Champion) 1 1.52%
Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:flashfap: Masato Yoshino (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:btroll: WALTER (PWG Champion) 3 4.55%
:oh: This Is It, Huh? (None of the Above) 4 6.06%
Total: 66 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In June, Kazuchika Okada's domination of 2018's monthly polls ended at last, in the same way his domination of NJPW in 2018 ended: against Kenny Omega! Their previous 3 matches all broke Dave Meltzer's 5 Star rating system by getting six stars or higher, but their 4th blew past those as well to get 7 stars after an hour+ 2-out-of-3 Falls match where Omega finally came out the undoubted victor in what has been well over a year of an absolutely incredible feud. The streak has been broken, and all that remains now is to figure out whether the IWGP Champion will continue to dominate the polls, or whether with Okada out, maybe a Champion from a different promotion might finally be able to surpass New Japan?

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as the WWE Universal Champion) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:rory: Kenny Omega (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Omega has been busy in the G1 this month, which always serves as fertile ground for new challengers in the future. But he kicked off the G1 with a title defense at the G1 Special at the Cow Palace, beating Cody to end their rivalry definitively. This was helped by the formation of the Firing Squad, which attacked Kenny and offered Cody a chance to join, but Cody came to Kenny's aide instead. The Bullet Club has split, but now Omega knows exactly who his friends and enemies are

:meowth: Carmella (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Bafflingly, Carmella defeated Asuka yet again despite (or because of) James Ellsworth being put into a shark cage. It was an ignominous end to a feud that never really took off or went anywhere. After that, Carmella failed to beat Becky in a non-title match which made Becky the Number One Contender for Carmella's title, but things were complicated by the return of Charlotte Flair who ALSO beat Carmella in a non-title match. Now it will be a Triple Threat at Summerslam.

:love: Kento Miyahara (FORMER Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Miyahara's 3rd Triple Crown reign ended after only four months, which at least exceeded his second reign but didn't even make it a quarter of the length of his first.

:zoro: Zeus (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Former Osaka Pro vet and internet favorite Zeus finally won the Triple Crown in his fourth attempt in front of a hometown crowd against AJPW's ace Kento Miyahara. Excellent match well worth checking out for roughly eight bucks. Thanks to Thauros.

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - With AJ's feud with Shinsuke Nakamura finally behind him and his dick and balls safe for now, AJ was looking for a new challenger. That came in the form of Rusev, but AJ was able to beat him to retain his title. Things were finally looking up for the Champion, until a contract signing for a new opponent revealed this was Samoa Joe. He attacked AJ from behind, signed the contract, and ended the month delivering a promo promising to take away the title AJ treasured over family and friends and leave him with nothing.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Champion) - Bliss successfully defended her title match at Extreme Rules against Nia Jax, proving that being a bully and being abusive towards people for their looks and weight will be rewarded with success and victory. Bliss had a rough month after that though as she fell foul of Ronda Rousey in spite of Rousey's suspension. Ronda now has a Summerslam title match waiting for her, with Bliss doing everything she can to get out of it or cause Ronda to fail.

:miedo: Pentagon Jr (Lucha Underground Champion) - Pentagon spent the month working up to a feud with Cage, who claims to be a machine and not a man. Pentagon wasn't scared because, of course, he has zero fear. Instead he hosed up Cage's life, helping Muertes beat him in a match, then going on to defeat Cage in their title match. Post-match however, his attempts to break Cage's arm failed as Cage powered himself out, suggesting that Cage might not be done with him yet.

:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (Impact Global Champion) - Austin Aries spent the month building up to his title match at Slammiversary against Moose. Aries constantly pointed out that this might be Moose's dream, but he was born to do it. He proved himself right at the PPV, where he retained his title in a hell of a main event that managed to not be overshadowed by the excellent Mask vs. Hair match that preceded it. After the PPV, he had plenty of options to choose from for a new opponent, as he was attacked by Eddie Edwards, confronted by a student of the former Santino Morella's, and people like Johnny Impact made their desire for his title known.

Dalton Castle (FORMER ROH World Champion) - Castle surprised many by retaining his title against Cody and Marty Scurll at Best in the World, despite it being widely reported he was suffering bad back problems. The confusion only compounded when Castle defended his belt in a Fatal Fourway soon after against Cody, Matt Taven and Jay Lethal... and lost the belt! Thus ends a title reign that came perhaps a little too late and failed to capitalize on a talented wrestler at his best.

Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - Lethal became Champion yet again, seemingly out of nowhere. Later than month, he defended his title successfully in a 30 Minute Iron Man match against Jonathan Gresham. Sadly, Lethal made more news in July for allegations of sexual impropriety.

:flashfap: Masato Yoshino (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Yoshino succeeded in retaining his title against former Champion Shingo Takagi at the Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival. 2 years ago he also succeeded in his first title defense only to lose his very next match to Takagi, so this is a measure of revenge in some ways, though he'll need one more title defense to exceed his previous title reign.

:btroll: WALTER (PWG Champion) - After defeating his first opponent in May to retain his belt, WALTER was able to do better than previous champion Keith Lee and equal Lee's predecessor Chuckie T's record by beating Brody King at Threemendous V. Having already exceeded the length of the reigns of the previous three Champions and closing in on beating Chuck Taylor's first title reign, he is still a long way from match the likes of Kyle O'Reilly, Kevin Owens, Roderick Strong, ZSJ and Adam Cole. Like all those guys, there has also apparently been interest in him from NXT.

:oh: This Is It, Huh? (None of the Above) - If you're nonplussed and unimpressed by this month's options, or you just want to vote None of the Above, this is the option for you.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Lets Go Zeus

his finisher is called the the Bicep Explosion and he's buffer than anyone else on this poll

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

good to know Tiny Lister is seeing such a resurgence

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ZEUS :swoon:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Voting Omega, goodnight, BANG

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

KungFu Grip posted:

Lets Go Zeus

his finisher is called the the Bicep Explosion and he's buffer than anyone else on this poll

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
voted WALTER because i like beer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Omega looks to be running away with it again. The IWGP stranglehold is set to continue unless Zeus gets a ton of votes in the last couple of days.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well whether it was because I didn't really push the poll this month, or because there is fatigue at New Japan dominance, or something something dead gay forums etc, we had a far lower turnout this month. Not that the result was really in doubt, as Kenny Omega held a clear lead from the very start, with his closest opponent Zeus getting far less than half his votes (and only one more than Carmella!). With the year over halfway done, are we looking at a potential shutout for the entire year and nobody but the IWGP Champion being in the winner's circle?

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I always laugh at that picture of Christopher Daniels and Io Shirai looking like an awkward prom photo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

I always laugh at that picture of Christopher Daniels and Io Shirai looking like an awkward prom photo

Io: A German army jacket? You must have been thinking of a different Japanese female wrestler....

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Zeus was robbed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Zeus was robbed

Who the gently caress snitched on Prometheus? :mad:

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Jerusalem posted:

Well whether it was because I didn't really push the poll this month, or because there is fatigue at New Japan dominance, or something something dead gay forums etc, we had a far lower turnout this month.

Put the NXT title on this and I'll vote for Ciampa you freakin cop

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I forgot to vote. But since my vote is worth 30 and I would have voted for Carmella, please correct this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jerusalem posted:

Well whether it was because I didn't really push the poll this month, or because there is fatigue at New Japan dominance, or something something dead gay forums etc, we had a far lower turnout this month. Not that the result was really in doubt, as Kenny Omega held a clear lead from the very start, with his closest opponent Zeus getting far less than half his votes (and only one more than Carmella!). With the year over halfway done, are we looking at a potential shutout for the entire year and nobody but the IWGP Champion being in the winner's circle?

But someone else was in the circle for January :confused:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jinder Mahal and Bray Wyatt won this in the same calendar year :lol:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bray Wyatt was good in that month :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
January clearly says that regardless of who won it was not Okada.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Remember when Bubba lovely Dudley won in 2013?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Remember when Bubba lovely Dudley won in 2013?

Please show more respect for 2 time TNA World Champion Bully Ray

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

But someone else was in the circle for January :confused:

In addition to Okada, Nobody was in the circle for January!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Glad that the August poll will finally include the CMLL Heavyweight Champion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Glad that the August poll will finally include the CMLL Heavyweight Champion.

I just looked up CMLL's titles to get this joke and... the gently caress? They have tag titles for a specifc ARENA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I just looked up CMLL's titles to get this joke and... the gently caress? They have tag titles for a specifc ARENA?

What's more surprising a fact

That they have tag titles for an arena,
That they've had it since the late '60s/early '70s,
or That it was once won by a team not even working in the company

• Locked thread