Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I have no doubt the priest has something up his sleeve to prove that what we're doing is magic, not divinity. I don't think a brash display of power will work. But I do think challenging the existence of Hurn with something like "Prove to us that Hurn is not dead" puts him on the back foot - be ready for both Theological arguments and contests of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

"Prove to us Hurn is not dead!"

Sarga has been chilling and improving her bond with Bad Tidings, just going full Thor and flinging the thing around.

Dueling Miracles Combo'd with this.

As part of getting tight with Bad Tidings, I can see Sarga making a much bigger menagerie of sea critters that are genetically programmed and magically bound to obey only her, then allowed to roam, grow, and multiply.

Sapient Octopi of Unusual Size, Super-Intelligent Dolphins with Retractable Arms, Hypersonic Sharks, and Symbiotic Megaturtle/Marine Piranha combos where part of the shell is a nesting ground for the fish.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nephzinho posted:

"Prove to us Hurn is not dead!"

Sarga has been chilling and improving her bond with Bad Tidings, just going full Thor and flinging the thing around.

Let's not kill them yet. Make water elemental copies of the Priests of Hurn to stand between our followers and theirs. Taunt them into breaking their oath of non-violence upon their own image.

We are not needlessly cruel, we are not murderers (right now). But we will defend what we have with tooth and (crab) claw.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any magic tricks will be seen through easily by the Bishop and prove his point, hypocrisy or not.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

1A "Do you think your God does not see through your sophistry? That he is blind to the blood you seek to spill with others' hands? What authority do you think you wield, false priest?"

2 - Research. If we want to steer this right, we need to have some idea of who these people might go to war against, so we can better craft the rhetoric.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephzinho posted:

Any magic tricks will be seen through easily by the Bishop and prove his point, hypocrisy or not.
Yeah that's my point. We'll prove our divinity if he proves his. If he has no need to prove his, neither do we. If he can't prove his... well, no-one like a hypocrite.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Burden of proof.

Olimas begins to laugh. The Bishop looks taken aback.
“Prove to you? I have dozens of eye witnesses to the greatness of Asherah, I rather think that the burden of proof lies with you?”
Now this was an interesting move, thought Sarga, as she absent mindedly threw Bad Tidings across the room, then used the soul link to pull it back to her - she had been practicing this for a while now, and she was getting very good at recalling the trident.
“W..What?”
“You heard me. What has Hurn done for the people?”
“Hurn protected the people from the ashes of Golmba, he brought them to this land and gave them paradise on their deaths!” The words came off as if read from a book. Which of course they were. But here and now, they sounded hollow.
“Legends and unprovable superstitions! What has Hurn done for people in living memory? Or even in recorded history not written by the church?
”I.. He.. well...”
”NOTHING!” Olimas roared. ”Your god is as good as dead - replaced by organised religion that buffers the meek from the mighty and dilutes his power. Asherah is real, he ios raw, and he cares.”
”He is a monster!”
”He is not human! The elves and dwarves are not human, but we don’t call them monsters, so are the Centaurs and the gnomes. Just because his visage makes your bladder tremble, doesn’t mean he’s inherently evil!”
”Your… being tricked….” he stammered.
”Our eyes are open. Asherah is a new god, a powerful one, and one who will save us.”
”Save us? From what?”
”Kilira, or at least minions acting in his name, I believe that old god is dead and buried as well, but his name is being used to spread war.”
”And what would you have people do?”

My God, does the dice roller love Sarga and her minions. Sorry for the slowdown, bank holiday weeks destroy my free time a bit!

how do we respond.
1 - We must take up arms before the attack us!
2 - We must cast down the old religions and install a new.
3 - We must move to protect ourselves.
4 - Something else/

quote:

Mana = 369/450 1 Large Manawell 494/1000
Gold = 43500

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
34 Beaverpeople. 4 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
3, while building our lives. Asherah doesn't just want worship, he/she/it wants us to be happy and fulfilled in our lives.

'We need to protect ourselves' is such great vague propaganda. It's sounds proactive but really its 'prepare to curbstomping whoever gives us the side eye'.

E: Saw 'large lab' in our inventory and for a second imagined a gigantic labrador chilling out in an undersea complex. How do we not have an animal sidekick in this cyoa yet? I vote octopus, a snarky sarcastic octopus.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

3. Perfect excuse to start getting militant without being outwardly aggressive. Plus, nothing manipulates a bunch if schlubs to support a given fight like thinking their beliefs are under attack.

I already suggested Zuma'kalis the Sawfish for Asherah. The funky nose gives us an in to have macahiutles as a traditional weapon of the faithful.

As to our own, how about Wingus and Dingus, the twin Moray Eels who always seem to bungle every task they get into an unqualified success?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
3, classic authoritarian belt-tightener.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Outrail posted:

3, while building our lives. Asherah doesn't just want worship, he/she/it wants us to be happy and fulfilled in our lives.

'We need to protect ourselves' is such great vague propaganda. It's sounds proactive but really its 'prepare to curbstomping whoever gives us the side eye'.

E: Saw 'large lab' in our inventory and for a second imagined a gigantic labrador chilling out in an undersea complex. How do we not have an animal sidekick in this cyoa yet? I vote octopus, a snarky sarcastic octopus.

This

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

I like it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's not our job to start the war, just to get Hurn out of the way so the king can. We don't need people to be warmongers - just not pacifists.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Interlude vote.

We have had a couple of months where Sarga has had little to do. She has been spending this time expanding her base at the Sapphire isle. Which sucks as a name soooo.
1 - What have we named our lair?

2 - what have we added to the base, the Beavers can build some things, but others will cost!
A - base rooms, free but take time.
B - library - 2500 gold or. 5,000 for some rare volumes.
C - forge 3000 gold
D - armoury 3000 gold.
E - other suggestions.

3 - have we expanded our minions?
A- through hires - these will be random monster types., 100gp each for humaniods, 250 for larger monsters (ogre sized) and 1000+ for huge monsters. They will also need wages of 10% hire cost a month.
B - through kidnapping - free, and can be any of our creations.
C - through go converts - 50 go each an can become one of our creations types.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
1 Deep Mined
2 B Rare!
3 B

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

It's all Sparkly, so call it The Rave Cave.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's a cave system with and underwater entrance? Sapphire Grotto or just The Grotto.

What do our funds look like right now?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

RickVoid posted:

It's a cave system with and underwater entrance? Sapphire Grotto or just The Grotto.

What do our funds look like right now?

At the end of the main post 43,000 gold.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Blasphemaster posted:

It's all Sparkly, so call it The Rave Cave.

2B (Rare!)

3A Let's get at least one Large sized bruiser. We've got funds, we've got assassins and worker bees, we have a magic trident. Let's get somebody large and possibly tentacly.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sapphire Grotto
2b Rare
3a let's hire a couple of large enforcers

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grey Hunter posted:

Which sucks as a name soooo.

Says you.

2D
3C 10 mooks

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

If our minions start calling our place Sapphire whatever, one of them will be overheard, and there ain't many places to get sapphires around here. Could lead back to us.

2. B Rare
3. B. Capsize something from someone our patron doesn't like, get at least 50 ultrascary shock troops. Like Hydralisk/Octopus combo.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 29, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Post is not edit.

Anyway, Collectively call our minions the Typhoon of Doom.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 29, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Game Plan Outrail
Interlude
1 Sapphire Grotto
2 B Rare but also do we have the crew to do A at the same time?
3 oh my god why do i have to choose

^ ^ ^ Yup

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Relentless posted:

2B (Rare!)

3A Let's get at least one Large sized bruiser. We've got funds, we've got assassins and worker bees, we have a magic trident. Let's get somebody large and possibly tentacly.

+1 for Plan Outrail, the Sapphire Grotto, and getting ourselves a thug via 3C.

2B for rare books as well, because we're getting into more complicated situations, and having research materials at hand will be good for fine-tuning our choices.. and our creations. :getin:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

2 B - Rare
The Forge and Armoury seem like something we should outsource later at the same time

3 - Can we buy a hundred years of Temporal Plane time instead?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

We're pretty close to the expropriation line; we should be blowing our money on all kinds of things.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

dont be mean to me posted:

We're pretty close to the expropriation line; we should be blowing our money on all kinds of things.

Agreed.

2B(Rare) and as many other investments as we can concurrently manage.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Believe in yourself.

”Asherah would have us build our lives, look after ourselves - why should we suffer in life to earn an afterlife?” Olimas keeps up the pressure.
”But if we enjoy this life, why would we deserve an afterlife?” The Bishop looked baffled, he was obviously one of the rare true believers, which would make sense, as the higher ups had sent him here.
”Why would we deserve one for suffering? What kind of god would want people to limit themselves in any way?”
”But your god is preaching violence!”
”Yes, but only in defence of his followers - what good is begin a pacifist if the guy next door roles in with an army? You end up dead either way, but at least by planning to defend yourself, you can survive. Hurns way just gets everyone a quick ticket to the afterlife. Or to oblivion.”
”I have not heard what your monster offers in the way of an afterlife.” Olimas blinks, this has never come up before.
”He is still trying to correct the woes of this world, I’m sure that he will inform us of his planes once the threat to our kingdom is over!”
”in the meantime, he expects people to die and go to hell, or into oblivion? To give up on eternal life for a few years of happiness on earth?”
”Better a few years of happiness than a painful death.” Even to Olimas the words sounded a bit hollow. The priest had hit on a weak spot in Asherah’s cannon. And he knew it.
”Let it be known, anyone seen consorting with the followers of the monster Asherah will be immediately and irrevocably excommunicated from the Church of Hurn. they shall be become pariahs. No true Hurnest shall trade with them, nor offer succor or aid of any kind. Hurn would not want any violence to occur, but they shall be beyond the pail and cast from society.”
With that, he turned and left. A few of the audience got up and left as well.

In the following daysm the number of converts slowed to a trickle, and it became hard for the ones who had already converted to buy their goods from any of the cities merchants who had not already converted. Prices began to rise, and there was talk of people being expelled from their homes.

Meanwhile, at the Sapphire Grotto

Sarga cursed. She would have to come up with something. She strode across the halls into the newly completed library - it had been costly to purchase a good number of rare books, as well as all the text books that were needed for day to day work. She had also included a good section of literary works, and one of the beavers was just leaving as she was arriving, having checked out the light fiction book “Angeldust” - popular amongst the younger members, it told the story of a angel and a monster who fall in love, and the story leads to the Angels corruption and him turning into a demon and destroying a city to prove his love. Sarga found the protagonist a little two dimensional, but it was an easy read.
She was settling to read a book on religion when Krull and Khrol stomped in. They were husband and wife, and the nicest pair of Seatrolls she had ever met. They had been quite costly to hire, but hulking monsters who can regenerate most wounds were good to have - and fire was a much rarer thing to see in water. They had decided to move out of the isle and start a family, so the Grotto was a good place for them.

They had also helped bring down a ship for Sarga - the Beavers were wanting more people to join their new race, so Sarga had decided a single shipwreck would not be seen as a threat. The beavers had plucked 42 men and woman from the water, and Sarga has expended a lot of mana in changing them.
While they still did not want paying, supplying them with the goods as per their order was becoming a noticeable drain on her finances. It was still manageable at twenty gold a week, but with the Trolls it was near half her weekly income gone.

News from the Dark Isle was interesting - it seemed that Sarga’s revenge mission had really stirred the kingdoms up - many of them were prepping for wars, and the normal jobs had dried up in favour of bank loans, hero training and magic item creation. While no one could be sure when it would start, most commentators thought a major war coming. Sarga was happy to be doing her part.
War was good for business.

Finally some bad rolls! The rise of the religion has finally stalled! It’s not over yet, but decisive action is needed.

1- How do we do we deal with the ban on our people?
A - Call on the lord's supporting us for help.
B- Try and build our own merchant network.
C - Strongarm our way back into trade
D - something else

2 - what kind of afterlife does Asherah offer? And how will we convince people it’s real.

3 - any other things to do at home?

quote:

Mana = 50/450 1 Large Manawell 450/1000
Gold = 36,750
Wages per week - 120

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.
76 Beaverpeople. 6 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

At the Sapphire Grotto
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.
A library full or rare books.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1 B
2 Reincarnation! They shall be reborn, our afterlife will be a short nap for the spirit to recover from the enjoyment of life. We can prove it exists by literally showing it to them; let's build an astral plane that the souls of those marked as our faithful will go to upon death until they decide they want to be reborn. We can ask for a volunteer who is tired of life and then scry into our afterlife to show them resting there. We shall call it the seabed!
3 Upgrade the mines. The Beavers can work on it at their own pace as long as they aren't complete slackers.

e: We can subcontract it out if we don't have enough juice or metaphysical knowhow to make it ourself.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 4, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Reincarnation is good. You come back as one a child of one of the faith. Better make sure there's a happy healthy society for them to come into.

Be selfish and invest in your Communist utopia today!

Also: why didn't he ask for proof of this hurn heaven?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When you die your soul is devoured by Asherah, finally giving you release from the endless cycle of suffering.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Lone Badger posted:

When you die your soul is devoured by Asherah, finally giving you release from the endless cycle of suffering.

Uh, don't tell them the truth brah. Happy lies. Happy happy lies.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Do we have more minions than room for them? Do we need to carve out a new barracks? Or have the beaver people done that for themselves?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

1A Politicians don't give a poo poo about religion and generally have inroads with the clergy
2. Reincarnation. We can bring the stingrays out, or maybe convert one of the older members, and have them do the "my life was poo poo, now I have a purpose" confessionals.
3. We can continue to expand the mine, we know that it won't have sapphires forever but we can build barracks and dungeons and other fun things into the barren parts of the mine, or flood other parts of it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I love how this story has involved Kidnapping, Murder, Island of Dr Morau style experiments, Mas murder, Doomsday events and now apparently the invention of Communism.

Why are all my players inventing Communism? My RPG group is playing Exalted and bringing Communism to Creation....

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

I love how this story has involved Kidnapping, Murder, Island of Dr Morau style experiments, Mas murder, Doomsday events and now apparently the invention of Communism.

Why are all my players inventing Communism? My RPG group is playing Exalted and bringing Communism to Creation....

Because it is the true Lawful Good.

My main campaign I am running atm has "The Vale of the Necromancer", a region from which no adventurer ever returns.. because it is a communist utopia where the undead perform all labor and permit people to explore the humanities and arts without fear of starving to death. It is a setting I'm transplanting into another game I'm setting up because I love it so much.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

1. B

2. There is no afterlife. Never has been. Everyone has been lied to forever and that loving sucks. Asherah is a new god, yes, but he is the only one who really cares, as he pushes his followers to live life to the fullest every second of every day, because death is the end. He never mentions an afterlife unless asked, as the very idea of one is poison. A life spent pining for what can never be attained is a horrible tragedy, and those acting as agents of such deceit are the most terrible of criminals. Funny thing about an afterlife? No one can tell you what it's like from experience. A promise that can never be proven to be broken is the easiest to make.

HOWEVER, those most faithful can be changed by their god to live longer, perhaps even to be eternal, as long as they stay true to themselves, and Asherah. Be mysterious about this.

E: as evidence of this, mod the priesty pair to have gills and limited regeneration, have them sit outside town in a sealed tank of water or something.

3. Do some math, make a flowchart or some poo poo and balance our monstrous checkbook thingy. At least a certain percentage goes to upgrades for our minions, be it combat gear, living conditions, healthcare etc. Make other villains' monsters envy ours. It's delayed gratification, but it'll be great.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 4, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Blasphemaster posted:

1. B

2. There is no afterlife. Never has been. Everyone has been lied to forever and that loving sucks. Asherah is a new god, yes, but he is the only one who really cares, as he pushes his followers to live life to the fullest every second of every day, because death is the end. He never mentions an afterlife unless asked, as the very idea of one is poison. A life spent pining for what can never be attained is a horrible tragedy, and those acting as agents of such deceit are the most terrible of criminals. Funny thing about an afterlife? No one can tell you what it's like from experience. A promise that can never be proven to be broken is the easiest to make.

HOWEVER, those most faithful can be changed by their god to live longer, perhaps even to be eternal, as long as they stay true to themselves, and Asherah. Be mysterious about this.

E: as evidence of this, mod the priesty pair to have gills and limited regeneration, have them sit outside town in a sealed tank of water or something.

3. Do some math, make a flowchart or some poo poo and balance our monstrous checkbook thingy. At least a certain percentage goes to upgrades for our minions, be it combat gear, living conditions, healthcare etc. Make other villains' monsters envy ours. It's delayed gratification, but it'll be great.

We are building a religion
We are making a brand
We're the only ones to turn to
When your castles turn to sand

I like all of this. We may want to just hire or promote a bookkeeper/office manager.

I say this knowing full well an evil accountant is probably going to embezzle from us. Just make sure it's a small enough percentage.

OR: Time to finally get that intern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

super sweet best pal posted:

1 B
2 Reincarnation! They shall be reborn, our afterlife will be a short nap for the spirit to recover from the enjoyment of life. We can prove it exists by literally showing it to them; let's build an astral plane that the souls of those marked as our faithful will go to upon death until they decide they want to be reborn. We can ask for a volunteer who is tired of life and then scry into our afterlife to show them resting there. We shall call it the seabed!
3 Upgrade the mines. The Beavers can work on it at their own pace as long as they aren't complete slackers.

e: We can subcontract it out if we don't have enough juice or metaphysical knowhow to make it ourself.

Oh my Asherah we're going to manufacture samsara.

If we have the juice for that. Do we have the juice for that? Also if we do, this early, how is the world not basically one giant acid trip?