Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Ok that’s just savage AF.

Well Labor Day week, should be a busy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hauki posted:

pay a decent wage

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Pay well, respect personal time, and have your team emotionally invested in what you do. Just because it's burgers and wings doesn't mean you can't be proud of it. You do those 3 things and the rest become infinitely easier to fix.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
What Chef said is true, try to find people who can take ownership and pride in the work even if it's simple poo poo. Also clean house, like if you can bring someone back from being burnt out with a raise and a change in management great but if you have people who don't give a poo poo training new people its going to spread that attitude. College kids are great to hire but I'd try to hire the ones you think you can get at least a year out of, preferably 2 or 3 before they graduate.

Bad pay will turn the best people into burnt out no fucks giving people in short order. Kitchens full of people who don't give a poo poo are just misery mills for everyone involved.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Ding ding.

It’s all about pay. I’ve tried to tell upper management before that this $8.00 an hour bullshit for the salad people and dishwasher isn’t cutting it...

They wonder why we keep going through them like a bag of chips.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, we have an entire culture document of our kitchen standards, and by having everyone emotionally invested in upholding that culture, new hires are easy to integrate, and toxic attitudes are stopped before they spread.

It's not even hardcore stuff, just the way we all fold & roll our aprons, cutting the tape short and straight, keeping your station squared up, etc. Little things that reinforce orderly behaviors, and keep everyone from being overwhelmed by clutter.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Money and respect go a long way. I haven't had a single turnover on my team in two years because we pay well and dont demand people put work ahead of their entire lives 24/7.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Minimum wage is $14 and servers minimum is $12. It killed us when the bump from $12 to $14 happened as labour when from 8% to 11%.

Ontario labour laws changed, as it was explained to me, in a “same job/same pay” sorta way so I’d have to pay a line cook with a decade’s worth of experience the same as a line cook who just got out of high school.

Edit: waste is currently within $100+ a day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Call me curious, why would that be?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Couldn't you just create a different job title/grade for the more experienced cooks?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Call me curious, why would that be?

The waste? My days off are worse than when I’m there. A lot of it is wings sauces wrong, or food sitting in the window too long, forcing a remake.

I have no leaders in my kitchen to control when I’m not around. Smokers tend to walk off and ignore FOH management leading to high chit times.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

virinvictus posted:

I’d have to pay a line cook with a decade’s worth of experience the same as a line cook who just got out of high school.

Oh, hello, "the exact reason why I left my kitchen last week"!

I'd been there for three years, had almost 12 years of experience in various restaurants, was one of only three kitchen trainers, was the only person in the kitchen who also had any sort of FoH experience/ability, yet a brand-new person right off the street came in making 90 cents more per hour than I did.

That was, without any doubt, the last straw.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

I’ll take any advice you can give.

Move the gently caress out of your bumfuck northern town (I think I remember you saying you're somewhere up in the lovely part of Ontario?) and move to Kitchener, come work at my place. Quick, before I have to hire one of the people I interviewed today. They're not bad, they're just not... good. I pay above the median wage for the area but a tech-backed restaurant just opened a month ago and is throwing money around, hoovering up all the talent. It is poor timing that I have to send off my sous to open our new property and also my full time closing cook broke his hand last Friday. All the poor timing.

Back on track here though: loving come move to Kitchener and make fried chicken with me.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

The Maestro posted:

That’s pretty terrible logic. Just because it’s not the most plastic waste in the ocean means we shouldn’t bother trying to reduce it?

My city banned plastic straws back in March and it’s been fine. It’s not a blanket ban, however. Straws are still allowed by request.

Just say you hate disabled people and go, dude.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Passing the burden of paying for straws on to people that literally need them is unfair. Also, there is at least one town that has started *fining* restaurants for passing out straws. It's not going to make a loving difference and it's directly affecting my friends.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

number 1 snake fan posted:

Passing the burden of paying for straws on to people that literally need them is unfair. Also, there is at least one town that has started *fining* restaurants for passing out straws. It's not going to make a loving difference and it's directly affecting my friends.

regardless that you're missreading what he said, what their policy is, and a misconception of nonzero... I have to sneak in my own hotsauces so have your friends sneak in a loving straw if they won't ask for one dumbshit.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Our resto has straws but stopped handing them out unless people ask for them (we do not charge for them). Is this situation acceptable to you?

Also great job on being an angry strawman.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wonder who the rereg is

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
It’s a loving straw.

Also yes, I need them so your dumb kid doesn’t spill their drink all over my loving dining room.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Just say you hate disabled people and go, dude.

The city passed an ordinance that says we’re not allowed to hand out straws automatically. We still have straws. I still ask if the guest would like a straw. They’re still allowed to ask me for a straw. Yes I will get fined if I hand a straw to the wrong person without asking. There are exceptions for to go orders or for places with self serve straws (like McDonald’s). People are still allowed to bring in their own reusable straws (an idea so wild that you and your friends haven’t even thought of).

The fact that I hate disabled people has no bearing.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i literally laughed out loud that “i’m not supposed to just give out straws willy-nilly anymore” got somehow interpreted as “we’re gonna nickel and dime the disabled.”

who even is this rereg?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

i literally laughed out loud that “i’m not supposed to just give out straws willy-nilly anymore” got somehow interpreted as “we’re gonna nickel and dime the disabled.”

who even is this rereg?

It's super weird that people immediately jump to the "you hate the disabled" about not automatically giving out straws.

Someone sincerely posted this on facebook the other day and I saved it because it's dumb as hell.

I pointed out that you can choke on plastic straws, you can break the skin with plastic straws and that plastic straws melted in high temperatures to which they replied "this is simply another opportunity for the ablebodied to gatekeep us and make our life harder."

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Can't believe they mentioned pasta straws but not Twizzlers.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If you need a straw, bring a straw. Also what straw is safe at high temp? I've never seen an insulated straw. I'm fairly sure every kid goes "I want a straw for my hot chocolate!" and burns their lips at least once.

I guess restaurants really hate people with allergies because they're not expected to have epipens ready for those who need them.

Edit: An insulated straw sounds like a terrible idea. You wouldn't get the warning of a burnt lip before your mouth was a bigass blister.

The General fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 29, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The General posted:

If you need a straw, bring a straw. Also what straw is safe at high temp? I've never seen an insulated straw. I'm fairly sure every kid goes "I want a straw for my hot chocolate!" and burns their lips at least once.

I guess restaurants really hate people with allergies because they're not expected to have epipens ready for those who need them.

Edit: An insulated straw sounds like a terrible idea. You wouldn't get the warning of a burnt lip before your mouth was a bigass blister.

We can manipulate metal into all kinds of shapes these days.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Will admit I've never used a metal straw but I assume it would heat up just as nice as anything else.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vacuum insulated straws exist.

Stupid as hell, but they exist.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Seriously we are grown rear end adults debating about straws....

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’d wager the high temp safe is more for sterilizing in a wash cycle between uses, although that doesn’t make the above chart any less dumb or tailored to a point.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why not straw straws

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A Man and his Hog posted:

I've been doing it in real life for the past two weeks. It's the stupidest fuckin thing

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his Hog posted:

You're right ban them and call it a day, ban all single use plastic items

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

The General posted:

Will admit I've never used a metal straw but I assume it would heat up just as nice as anything else.

I have one. Can confirm it acts exactly like you'd expect metal in a hot liquid to act.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

years ago i got a metal straw at 7-11 to go with a slurpee. the straw got super cold and it was pretty great. that's my metal straw story.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Welp, just walked up to a table that was looking at the beer list and said “alright, has anything managed to catch your eye on the beer list?”

Guy with one eye looks up and gives me a deadpan stare

https://youtu.be/Ag1o3koTLWM

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mezzanon posted:

Welp, just walked up to a table that was looking at the beer list and said “alright, has anything managed to catch your eye on the beer list?”

When I used to work a hotel desk on several occasions I'd check someone out and tell them "Hope to see you again soon" only to get the responses like "I was here for a funeral" or "I came here to start chemo".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

your (non-cyberpunked) avatar is 100% evergreen.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Sextro posted:

When I used to work a hotel desk on several occasions I'd check someone out and tell them "Hope to see you again soon" only to get the responses like "I was here for a funeral" or "I came here to start chemo".

:lol:

That’s a total: Umm Yeah ok! Enjoy your stay and have a goodnight moment.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You're right ban them and call it a day, ban all single use plastic items

Quoting for emphasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Oh poo poo Labor Day weekend in San Francisco here I come. It’s a wedding so I’m programmed Friday and Saturday, but suggestions solicited for Sunday & Monday.

Yes, I have a ton of industry friends and colleagues to point me around but sometimes Goons surprise me.