Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

They’re all anime nerds. They should own that and do a Fate/ Stay Night themed game. See if they can bring in voice actors to play historical figures dueling gender swapped characters of literary fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pollyanna posted:

Caduceus is so much better than Mollymauk.

By leaps and bounds. The cr crew are big fans of playing to low stats for rp purposes, and they've done great with it, but Molly clearly shows the upper limits of that thinking.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apprentice Dick posted:

Orion got really popular with the early fan base and I think a lot of that went to his head. You can see a shift as it started to catch on and by the mid 20s episodes he is super self involved.

What the gently caress? Why would he be popular?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pollyanna posted:

Why do people hate Marisha so intensely? People are terrible, that's why.

Related, in rewatching his last episode, I saw Youtube comments while looking for the ever-present timestamp list saying they'd rather have had Orion stay on and get rid of Keyleth/Marisha after episode 1. :wtc:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Pollyanna posted:

I've only watched the first episode of campaign 1 and he seemed pretty engaging, and was probably my favourite at the table for that amount of time fwiw

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why haven't we brought up the obvious choice for a second group's system?

Get some Dungeon World if we want to stay D&D-ish, Blades in the Dark if we want something edgy, or Fellowship if you want something feel-good. The system is a great fit for VAs!

Enourmo posted:

Why do people hate Marisha so intensely? People are terrible, that's why.

Related, in rewatching his last episode, I saw Youtube comments while looking for the ever-present timestamp list saying they'd rather have had Orion stay on and get rid of Keyleth/Marisha after episode 1. :wtc:

Never read Youtube comments. Gators everywhere.

Soylentbits posted:

They’re all anime nerds. They should own that and do a Fate/ Stay Night themed game. See if they can bring in voice actors to play historical figures dueling gender swapped characters of literary fiction.

That would be pretty great, but I feel like TYPE-MOON being involved is a bad idea.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

I hadn't watched the Callisto 6 thing before and that does look absolutely awful but for what it's worth, Eric is a legitimately good DM. He's not Matt Mercer but that's a very high bar to clear.

I think Eric's biggest problem is he tries to set himself against Matt (and Wheaton, for whatever reason - he mentions Wheaton a lot) and should work on finding his own groove more. When he does, he's pretty great.

Cheston posted:

Sumalee Montano, absolutely. Nila was her second time playing D&D and she nailed it. I really want to see her in a larger role.

Mary McGlynn, too. Either her old character or a new one. She, Steve Blum and some of the other cast of SW Rebels did a Star Wars game a while back and it was a lot of fun.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've only watched the first episode of campaign 1 and he seemed pretty engaging, and was probably my favourite at the table for that amount of time fwiw

Oh yeah early on he had his legit funny moments and great comedic timing, but sometimes i try to imagine how he would have fared in the later story arcs and have to stop myself before I get a brain aneurysm.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love how hosed Off Travis is at this animals guy. Laura really wants a puppy.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE ANIMALS' STEALTH CHECKS

get out of my head.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I love how hosed Off Travis is at this animals guy. Laura really wants a puppy.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE ANIMALS' STEALTH CHECKS

get out of my head.

All of these animals are going to loving die.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Kraps posted:

Oh yeah early on he had his legit funny moments and great comedic timing, but sometimes i try to imagine how he would have fared in the later story arcs and have to stop myself before I get a brain aneurysm.

I think all the suffering would have been worth it to hear his plans for stopping Vecna or killing dragons.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

NowonSA posted:

I think all the suffering would have been worth it to hear his plans for stopping Vecna or killing dragons.

“I take out the Wheel of Mending and look around...can I form some sort of rudimentary lathe?”

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Even aside from Orion's...issues, bluntly his style of play was very grognard hyper-cautious Stupid PC Tricks. He played like he expected Matt to throw Fantasy loving Nam at them at any moment and that basically meant he wasn't actually committed to the drama of the game so mouth as he was to being paranoid about any possible dirty trick, nasty trap, or other OSR bullshit. Remember how long he spent trying to load up on every possible anti-vampire measure, well past the point of dramatic lock and load and into the neurotically obsessive? (And if he'd succeeded it would have basically had no dramatic tension?) He would have probably tried to do a lot of stupid Scry and Die stuff, because that's the sort of thing that that play style rewards rather than dramatic play - and streaming as a whole probably would be poorer for it.

CR has been really good for D&D partly because the team encourage a very cooperative, good-spirit avoidance of a lot of classic D&D play bullshit like the five minute adventuring day. And that's precisely because they didn't have play Orion almost certainly would have used. The hobby doesn't need more encouragement of grognard mindsets. By framing CR in a very intuitive "rule of drama" mindset instead of the toxic D&D assumptions that 3.5 especially had bred, it's set a model for tabletop play in the public eye as a visible ambassador of the medium that makes it much more approachable.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 29, 2018

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If we're talking about guests, i hope they don't have that Shakasta guy back. Dude takes 10 minutes to take a turn.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CJ posted:

If we're talking about guests, i hope they don't have that Shakasta guy back. Dude takes 10 minutes to take a turn.

Title loving delivers, I could listen to his buttery voice all day. :allears:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

CobiWann posted:

“I take out the Wheel of Mending and look around...can I form some sort of rudimentary lathe?”

The Wheel of Mending thing just reminds me that I hated Tiberius' backstory. His entire backstory was that he was from a very rich and very important family and also he was an amazing prodigy and no, nothing tragic happened to his family, they're fine and love him very much, he just wants to prove his college wrong and track down 7 (9? I don't remember) legendary artifacts that the college is convinced don't exist. He didn't even leave the college on bad terms - he got his rich and powerful father to get him a diplomatic posting that he then failed to do.

There's something to be said for backstories that aren't just "everyone I love is dead and I'm out for REVENGE" but Tiberius' backstory was both banal and bizarrely greedy because he was basically asking Matt for X number of powerful artifacts just to prove he was the best sorcerer around.

Although I did love the later reveal that Tiberius' family, including himself, and in fact the entire ruling class of his country were slavers.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 29, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Knowing what I do about Orion himself, I’m pretty glad he didn’t stick around.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Well you can't just say that and not share with the class.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

The Wheel of Mending thing just reminds me that I hated Tiberius' backstory. His entire backstory was that he was from a very rich and very important family and also he was an amazing prodigy and no, nothing tragic happened to his family, they're fine and love him very much, he just wants to prove his college wrong and track down 7 (9? I don't remember) legendary artifacts that the college is convinced don't exist. He didn't even leave the college on bad terms - he got his rich and powerful father to get him a diplomatic posting that he then failed to do.

There's something to be said for backstories that aren't just "everyone I love is dead and I'm out for REVENGE" but Tiberius' backstory was both banal and bizarrely greedy because he was basically asking Matt for X number of powerful artifacts just to prove he was the best sorcerer around.

Although I did love the later reveal that Tiberius' family, including himself, and in fact the entire ruling class of his country were slavers.

Taryon had the best backstory: a smug rich guy who wants to join just because he wants to show off how cool he is, and basically buys his way into the party. It seems like it would be really terrible until you remember exactly when he's coming into the story and who's playing him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

Tail-based slavery, even.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My Twitter feed is always on point.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

All of these animals are going to loving die.

The Blink Dog is probably Important because Matt seemed to push them towards it, but that owl is going to eat that weasel and then fly away never to be seen again

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
2nd campaign/stream/table needs more Reinhardt.

And going week to week back during the early C1, I basically ignored Orion's backstory beyond, yet another noble in this party. His bumbling arrogance made for funny moments and his one scene of constantly introducing himself to people over and over is still something I find funny.

And honestly, I feel like a lot of people, me included, basically wanted to like Tibs and kept giving Orion chances to turn it around until the very end. The cast ejecting him wasn't done easily for them and it is just really lovely that it played out the way it did and ultimately he fired himself, but still.

Orion made it really difficult to like Tibs, but he wasn't the worst to me. That was back when Taliesin was still on bad meds mix and getting constantly poo poo rolls on everything, and constantly jamming his guns. Like through the underdark, up until the final boss fight Percy seemed like a low engaged player playing a basically useless character. The Briarwood arc that came next really gave Tal the room to stretch out and show off Percy as the awesome character that he was and never got to do in the underdark.

I guess all of this is to just say that I wish Orion could of been in a different headspace because Tibs could have been really fun to see play out if his PC weren't who we got. But fuckit, that's what we got and Orion really truly did fire himself so whatever.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The Blink Dog has, like, actual mechanics, so I reckon that they'll have a puppy pal for a long while.

Hopefully. :ohdear:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

So the first episode of Handbooker Helper is due today, but also there's an article on Syfy about the new channel. Among interesting tidbits is that Handbooker Helper actually isn't necessarily for people who want to get into D&D but are overwhelmed by the rulebook. Marisha got the idea from her mom's questions about the game. Her mom wasn't interested in playing, but wanted to know enough to understand what was happening on the show and videos on Youtube were typically twenty minutes of detailed "this is how you make a character" information. This series is more short videos that cover specific rules so that if you're confused about one thing, you can easily find out about it. The videos will inevitably get into more minutia than a casual viewer would need as the series goes on but this is a good place to start.

Also of note are two of the new things they're working on - Liam and Sam's podcast, All Work No Play, is finally going to be back and also maybe not a podcast anymore, and Brian's getting a new show called Between the Sheets, which seems to be planned as one-on-one interviews with cast members, community members, and all sorts of people, with more personal questions than necessarily D&D related ones.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 29, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Pretty pumped for All Work No Play coming back.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CuwiKhons posted:

Also of note are two of the new things they're working on - Liam and Sam's podcast, All Work No Play, is finally going to be back...

OK, now I know you're pulling our legs.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

CuwiKhons posted:

All Work No Play, is finally going to be back and also maybe not a podcast anymore

Live streaming from the hot tub?

live steaming :classiclol:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So the animals kinda overshadowed most of the episode, but personally I want to know wtf is up with Gustav. What the Christ was in that whisper?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Gustav is DPB. That was the whisper.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Taryon had the best backstory: a smug rich guy who wants to join just because he wants to show off how cool he is, and basically buys his way into the party. It seems like it would be really terrible until you remember exactly when he's coming into the story and who's playing him.

Laura playing with a pencil in the air and just dropping it stunned when Taryon says paying them something like 25k a day is nothing is still one of my favorite quick little moments of the show.

Teddybear posted:

The Blink Dog has, like, actual mechanics, so I reckon that they'll have a puppy pal for a long while.

Hopefully. :ohdear:

He's like a perfect mascot, hopefully they can whip up little plushie merch or something down the line. Also a great guard dog to leave and watch over things if they end up with big deal property like Greyskull or Castle Whitestone to their names.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

NowonSA posted:

Laura playing with a pencil in the air and just dropping it stunned when Taryon says paying them something like 25k a day is nothing is still one of my favorite quick little moments of the show.

He's like a perfect mascot, hopefully they can whip up little plushie merch or something down the line. Also a great guard dog to leave and watch over things if they end up with big deal property like Greyskull or Castle Whitestone to their names.

At this rate, and with their backstories, they're going to end up owning Jester's mother's brothel. Which, to be far is not a bad stronghold but would be hilarious to see them have to work with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

seaborgium posted:

At this rate, and with their backstories, they're going to end up owning Jester's mother's brothel. Which, to be far is not a bad stronghold but would be hilarious to see them have to work with it.

Nobody can have a consistent room because they're all in use when they get there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

chitoryu12 posted:

Nobody can have a consistent room because they're all in use when they get there.

Cadaceus would, there'd be all the corpse mushrooms he stores in there so none of the workers would go in there.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Live show in NY

https://critrole.com/were-bringing-our-live-show-to-nyc-on-october-4th/

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

CobiWann posted:

OK, now I know you're pulling our legs.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Tonight's a one-shot, right?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Yeah, it's Liam's weary wolves night

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I love TJ Storm and Travis having a table all to themselves because they're just so loving big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The one shot made me love Sumalee even more, granted she had at least a game of practice and it looks like Erica got thrown right in but even accounting for maybe more experience and definitely more thought put into the character Sumalee was just on a whole other level than Erica there. There's some recency bias but I think I have to put her above Darrin Depaul in the "players who don't play much DnD allstars" and Jon Heder is nipping at their heels too.

Despite Sumalee being on another level it's not an absolute blowout, a quick goofy one-shot is a whole different animal than "get coached by Matt Mercer than play in a Mercer DM'd game for awhile" so in a way it's like judging athleticism across different sports and it's hard to really account for all that.

Oh it's also a showdown between druids too, just realized that.

Edit: Also jeez the United Palace seats just over 3,000 people and they're definitely selling that out, and at $70-100 for most seats ($70 for the cheap seats). Then you add in merch sold at the show... despite my talk about them not leaving their day jobs, if they wanted to do it full-time then something like a live show every 2 months on top of their current revenue and they'd probably be there.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 31, 2018