Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SPIDER-MAN is an exclusive game for the PS4 developed by Insominac, the same maniacs who made Ratchet and Clank and the high-speed Sunset Overdrive. After 5 years of abhorrent games from Activision subsidiary Beenox, the license to Spider-Man found its way back to Marvel, who partnered up with Sony to deliver a redemptive entry for the webslinger.

https://twitter.com/ikazombie/status/1035456694057201665

DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER CAN, AT A LOCKED 30FPS

The most important part of a Spider-Man game rests on the locomotion factor: webslinging around faux-New York City. While Spider-Man 2 was the benchmark for things like web physics and wallrunning, future entries would be more lax with these requirements, which more often than not resulted in subpar Spidey immersion. Insomniac went back to the roots of the problem and webs will connect with buildings and influence your speed on a level that was only dreamed of until now. Not only is the webslinging more realistic, but there's also a new "smart zip" that can be used with targeted aiming or on-the-fly as you're swinging through the city. Additional context-sensitive movement like wallruns can happen when you're turning sharp corners or just racing up vertical walls.

RADIOACTIVE BLOOD

Fighting goons in the new entry is akin to the Arkham combat you're likely familiar with, though with a sprinkle of aerial dominance and style that we haven't really touched since the better-than-average Web of Shadows. Not only assisted by typical Spidey-sense reflexes and counters, the unique finishers and aerial raves available are just nasty.

Combining the Melee, Web, and Jump buttons in different ways essentially weaves into a number of improvised attacks. For example, popping someone up in the air > webbing them up a bunch > pulling them down leads to the baddie being stuck to the ground at their descent, while uppercutting somebody and following them up leads to more options to flail them over others.

STARKTECH NOT INCLUDED

Spider-Man now has a unique assortment of tools to play with that include floating spider-drones, web bombs, and web tripwire traps that can be placed nearly anywhere and take out thugs discreetly before you leap in for a bigger melee. The comics usually saw Peter utilizing a variety of situational gadgets such as tracers, cartridge expansions, spotlights, and more--so it's fitting that his scientific origins are brought back in the form of diverse items.

SINISTER SECT

What's a Spider-Man game without his colorful rogues gallery? Familiar (and frankly overused) names like Shocker (seriously, he's in every loving game), Vulture, and Rhino are showing up, though we're also getting appearance by the current-metaverse Electro, longtime threat Scorpion in his classic duds, and an overbearing syndicate ruled by relatively new villain Mr. Negative. Kingpin is behind bars as the game starts, which probably leads to Martin Li's Inner Demons taking over the city. Silver Sable is also primed to show up at some point. If Mysterio isn't in this then I'm gonna be pissed.

THE FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD

Naturally, between the main storyline's crusades, you'll find plenty of side-activity to undertake in Manhattan. This includes the normal crime-busting of drug deals, shootouts, and car chases, but also throws in Black Cat scavenger hunts, Taskmaster missions, investigations handed down from Harry at Oscorp, Wilson Fisk bases to clear out (essentially combat challenges), collectables in the form of backpacks and comics, and more.

NICE UNDEROOS

Yes, the Scarlet Spider costume is in the game, but so are about a dozen more to be unlocked as well. This includes the classic red-and-blue, Noir, a punk outfit, Infinity War, and more. Each costume has a special ability, i.e. the classic one has a damage buff that can be activated for a few seconds. The rest of the abilities and costumes are being kept under wraps.

A TANGLED WEB THAT CONTINUES TO BE SPUN

Yes, DLC episodes have already been announced, lol. At around 24.99, you'll get 3 episodes scheduled for the 3 months after launch:
--The Heist, featuring Black Cat and a bunch of other doodads
--Turf Wars, which might involve anything from the Maggia to some other villain bullshit
--Silver Lining, which obviously will have something to do with Silver Sable.

-------
Spoiler discussion at the link here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868461

MORE GIFS TO COME when the game comes out!

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not much of a Spiderman fan, so I didn't expect this one to interest me, but the stuff they have shown so far looks really good. I can't even remember the last good spidey game, maybe PS2 era? If the content is fun a varied enough, I think this one is gonna be a winner! Hopefully it runs good on a PSPoor...

The only downside is that this next couple months is just loving loaded with good games. I really didn't need to be into this one, but here we are...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think this is the first game in a long time to maybe comes close to Prototype in terms of open world fun having.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Baron posted:

Not much of a Spiderman fan, so I didn't expect this one to interest me, but the stuff they have shown so far looks really good. I can't even remember the last good spidey game, maybe PS2 era? If the content is fun a varied enough, I think this one is gonna be a winner! Hopefully it runs good on a PSPoor...

Creative director/producer said the game performs the same on PS4/Pro, only difference is really going to be some lighting/shading features. I've been trying to avoid most early footage but from what I've seen, it looks pretty solid across the board.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Baron posted:

I can't even remember the last good spidey game, maybe PS2 era? If the content is fun a varied enough

Web of Shadows has its issues but it was pretty fun. The main problem with it being originally designed to be a Marvel Zombies game and then later changed to "symbiote infestation" sometime later in development.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vakal posted:

Web of Shadows has its issues but it was pretty fun. The main problem with it being originally designed to be a Marvel Zombies game and then later changed to "symbiote infestation" sometime later in development.

holy poo poo that would have been awesome.

Some neat gifs of the game previously unseen:

1) "Tricks" from Spiderman 2 are back! https://twitter.com/InspiredByMessi/status/1034636316514779136

2) Scarlet Spider costume: https://twitter.com/garber_andrew/status/1031616347828940801

3) Looks beautiful https://twitter.com/313doe/status/1034129806236037122

4) Norman "Andrew Cuomo" Osborn https://twitter.com/InspiredByMessi/status/1034217860799709190

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 30, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vakal posted:

huh, except for the part where they changed their mind making a marvel zombies game at that time period makes way too much sense

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

Creative director/producer said the game performs the same on PS4/Pro, only difference is really going to be some lighting/shading features. I've been trying to avoid most early footage but from what I've seen, it looks pretty solid across the board.

This is fantastic news, and might seal the deal for me. I still holding out hope for the Kingdom Hearts PS4 Pro so until then I'm rockin the poor still. I was pretty impressed how well God of War ran. I guess the only thing that would be a bummer now is if the early reviews are negative, which doesn't seem likely at this point.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I really just want to swing around a bunch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am going to spend so much time exploring NYC to look for easter eggs. We know Avengers Tower and Sanctum Sanctorium are in it, but i'm sure other stuff is there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm paraphrasing a better poster than me who said this in the imp zone but basically it's hosed up that Spider-man has to climb radio towers to reveal new sections of the map of loving new york city where he's lived since he was loving born . If there was any game that could have skipped the "climb towers to reveal map" mechanic you'd think it would be spider-man

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

And this doesn't kill the game for me or anything and i'm still gonna buy it, it just seems like such a weird oversight and makes me nervous for the theming of the game in general . I haven't seen a a marvel movie in like 10 years and i'm not caught up on the lore but i always felt like one of the core elements of spider-man was that he was a "new yorker" and not some fictional inhabitant of gotham or metropolis or whatever. He should know his way around the city!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

goferchan posted:

I'm paraphrasing a better poster than me who said this in the imp zone but basically it's hosed up that Spider-man has to climb radio towers to reveal new sections of the map of loving new york city where he's lived since he was loving born . If there was any game that could have skipped the "climb towers to reveal map" mechanic you'd think it would be spider-man

it's definitely dumb but since it's spiderman you'll be swinging around up high anyway and you've got ways to get vertical fast if you're not so it shouldn't be a slow boring climb like a lot of the ubisoft map towers tend to be

so, could be better but could be worse

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm sure the game's excuse is gonna be that Spidey knows the layout by heart but has to update his Spider-GPS or whatever using the towers.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hopefully all of new york is unlocked to you immediately so i can get all the towers out of the way asap while swinging around is at it's freshest

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm sure of all the above too -- it'll probably be really painless, I just wish they'd have ditched the mechanic because it's been an "open world" thing since like the xbox 360 and we don't need it anymore . Climbing poo poo and then manually tagging destinations using your vantage point in Breath of the Wild was pretty cool but if it just means climbing a tower and making a dozen minimap items pop up then I'm really over it. I'm sure the game will be fine regardless I just think Spider-man is a great excuse to buck that trend

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It seems that I could not have picked a worse time to pick up an Xbox One X. I was at Best Buy to get a pro for this game specifically and they were out so I got the X. Now I'm pissed because this is gonna be the best Spider-Man game since Ultimate Spider-Man. This holiday season I'll be thwipping around New York! Until then enjoy this awesome looking game, guys.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I hope there's an Amazing Bag Man costume. I think that's all I used when I played spider man on ps1

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are spoilers for the story going around so be careful where you browse if you care about that.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Spider Knight is a totally new character and is definitely not Jason Todd!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm hoping this is basically the Spiderman equivalent of the Arkham games in terms of story/world where they're just able to use whatever villains they want. They've said that Peter has been Spiderman for 8 years or something in it so he's a veteran and he's clearly got history with some of the sinister six members in the E3 trailer. Guessing the leader that the trailer ended before revealing is Doc Ock since that's the usual guy but not sure why Spidey would be so surprised in that case. Making Norman Osborn the mayor, quite old and pretty chunky is an interestng choice, makes it seem like we definitely won't be seeing him as the Green Goblin in this incarnation.

OP, don't think you can complain about Shocker, Rhino and Vulture being overused and then wish for Mysterio, he's been in nearly all the games as well (I don't disagree that Rhino and Shocker are used too much, just Mysterio has been used about as much, the former make good "mook villains" though for tutorials and such). They totally should have him though, definitely, they could do some really creative weird stuff with his illusory powers. If they reach deep with the villains for sidequests/minor parts in the game they could create some really cool missions/fights, the Spot for example, could have an incredible chase and then boss fight once you catch him.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When's the DLC where Satan asks for your marriage in several years and peter just stares at him in disbelief?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

OP, don't think you can complain about Shocker, Rhino and Vulture being overused and then wish for Mysterio, he's been in nearly all the games as well (I don't disagree that Rhino and Shocker are used too much, just Mysterio has been used about as much, the former make good "mook villains" though for tutorials and such). They totally should have him though, definitely, they could do some really creative weird stuff with his illusory powers. If they reach deep with the villains for sidequests/minor parts in the game they could create some really cool missions/fights, the Spot for example, could have an incredible chase and then boss fight once you catch him.

Yeah you've got me there, it'd probably be more out of the box to put in people like Morlun, Sandman, Alistair Smythe, Raptor, or even Kaine if you want to go full crazy. I am hoping we get more villains outside the realm of what we know and it isn't boring poo poo like Tombstone or Hammerhead or Lizard. Throw in something freaky like Morbius or an endurance fight with the "losers" i.e. Frog Man, Kangaroo, Razorback. Spot I would love to see because he was entertaining in this Ultimate incarnation.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

goferchan posted:

To be fair it's not like he uncovers the map with these, it's some Police Crime Scan Starktech nonsense where tapping into the tower gives him the lowdown on Where The Crimes Are. Yeah it's stupid but it's not like Spider-Man, a white nerd from Queens, is gonna be hooked into the underworld enough to know where this stuff is normally.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tbh if there's any game where "climbing a tower" makes sense as a sidequest it's Spider-Man where you're going to be actively seeking tall structures to do swandives off, and if the material I've seen is any indication, trickmoves to do while doing so are back on the menu.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DLC Inc posted:

Yeah you've got me there, it'd probably be more out of the box to put in people like Morlun, Sandman, Alistair Smythe, Raptor, or even Kaine if you want to go full crazy. I am hoping we get more villains outside the realm of what we know and it isn't boring poo poo like Tombstone or Hammerhead or Lizard. Throw in something freaky like Morbius or an endurance fight with the "losers" i.e. Frog Man, Kangaroo, Razorback. Spot I would love to see because he was entertaining in this Ultimate incarnation.

If you played the DS version of Shattered Dimensions you got to battle the Tinkerer. The PS version had Kraven who isn't usually used and Sandman was an entire level (literally).

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Familiar (and frankly overused) names like Shocker (seriously, he's in every loving game)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The funny thing about the Shocker is that he actually has a very solid record against Spider-Man in the comics. He's mostly used as the tutorial boss in many games now but it's likely because he's a "career villain" who doesn't bother with kindappings or grudges or teamups. Dude just legit wants to do basic bank robbery and crimes that make money as opposed to Scorpion or Electro who are plain old psychos now, Mac Gargan moreso in the general Marvel universe since he was Venom for almost a decade.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Whoa, Osborn? is he... you know... the guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shocker works as a good villain for games because he can be slotted into any overarching story and comes with a mix of distance attacks and melee strength, where other villains might be one or the other. Vulture for example, is given projectile wing attacks for games. Even in the Homecoming movie he was given an energy gun.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

one of the games has Spidey take the piss out of Shocker's costume and he calls him "The Cushion" and that is always the first depiction of him that comes to mind

el oso posted:

I really just want to swing around a bunch.

:same:

Also costumes, great. I feel like they're an important part of Spider-Man games, even more than other comic book games.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
There was an interview at E3 I saw with one of the mocap actors who goofed and mentioned something about the mocap actor for Doc Ock, so they're most likely in the game. I'd guess they're the yet to be revealed leader of the Sinister Six but it's hard to say for sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McDragon posted:

Also costumes, great. I feel like they're an important part of Spider-Man games, even more than other comic book games.

Probably because they've played such a big part in the comics stories. A lot of characters have had different designs and interpretations of their costumes but that's just artistic licence usually. Spider-Man the character often has actual different things he wears and stories that revolve around those new looks.

Brightman posted:

There was an interview at E3 I saw with one of the mocap actors who goofed and mentioned something about the mocap actor for Doc Ock, so they're most likely in the game. I'd guess they're the yet to be revealed leader of the Sinister Six but it's hard to say for sure.

Given that character's history of leading the Sinister Six and being the Master Planner he's probably a good pick. Especially since this game doesn't yet have one of Spider-Man's top tier villains revealed yet other than references to Osborn's mayoralty.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 30, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

McDragon posted:

Stuff like 2099 and some kind of Steve Ditko uberclassic stuff will be included, which will be great; I always loved the 2099 design. I think there's around a dozen to start but I'm not sure about the final list and don't want to spoil any others that may potentially exist.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Lobok posted:

Given that character's history of leading the Sinister Six and being the Master Planner he's probably a good pick. Especially since this game doesn't yet have one of Spider-Man's top tier villains revealed yet other than references to Osborn's mayoralty.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, granted this Sinister Six's lineup isn't entirely conventional. A few theories I saw being tossed around for their leader included Norman or Harry as the Green Goblin and Silver Sable, all of which can be ruled out since it was mentioned that 5 villains broke out, and neither Osborn is locked up, and Mr. Negative says "he" when playing the pronoun game, so it isn't Sable. I'd be open to it being a wild card villain that no one would consider too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not gonna look at the potential spoiler blocks but it's definitely curious how much is being held back i.e. who the leader of the villains is, who the person who shows up at the end of the E3 demo is, and why the special edition statue for this game hasn't been revealed because it contains a "spoiler." Part of me wants to say it involves Venom/the black suit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm gonna be that guy and say that I am disappointed the swinging doesn't look as true to physics as Spiderman 2. It wouldn't bother me except for they're so close with the webs actually sticking to buildings and angles determining your swing, but then I see Spiderman come out of a deep dive into a slow parabola and cringe a little.

Still, this is the best looking swinging we've gotten in over a decade, so I will gladly take what I can get.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Brightman posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, granted this Sinister Six's lineup isn't entirely conventional. A few theories I saw being tossed around for their leader included Norman or Harry as the Green Goblin and Silver Sable, all of which can be ruled out since it was mentioned that 5 villains broke out, and neither Osborn is locked up, and Mr. Negative says "he" when playing the pronoun game, so it isn't Sable. I'd be open to it being a wild card villain that no one would consider too.

Mr Negative could have been one of the ones broken out at that point in the game if you put him away relatively early though and then Green Goblin could be showing up as the mastermind of the breakout. I think it is probably Doc Ock but the framing of the shot at the end of the E3 trailer does kinda make it look like someone flying in and hovering there.

If I had to put money on it I'd bet Doc Ock as the main villain of this game with his Sinister Six and some sort of big plan and then maybe a surprise team up near the end. Then they have hints throughout that both Harry and Norman are up to something and a post credits thing setting the Green Goblin up for a sequel with it being a mystery who it actually is.

I think I said this in some other thread but I sorta think Miles might have a bigger role than they've revealed so far, maybe some sort of Halo 2/MGS 2 situation where you play a bit of the game as him after Peter gets incapacitated or something and then afterwards can swap between them. Just feels like they're playing something close to their chest, apparently one of the super collectors editions comes with a statue that they aren't showing because it's a spoiler.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Peter gets taken in by the Sinister 6, lead by Doc Ock, who does the mind switch to him. You play out the rest of the game as the Superior Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DLC Inc posted:

Not gonna look at the potential spoiler blocks but it's definitely curious how much is being held back i.e. who the leader of the villains is, who the person who shows up at the end of the E3 demo is, and why the special edition statue for this game hasn't been revealed because it contains a "spoiler." Part of me wants to say it involves Venom/the black suit.

I read the spoiler (and then continued the spoiler tags) to be kind but I really doubt the big surprise is going to be a big surprise to anyone with passing knowledge of Spider-Man villains. I find it hard to believe it's going to be someone truly unexpected.

Something like the first story arc of Mark Millar's Spider-Man was surprising when it turned out Scorpion was the big bad guy because he had never seemed like that kind of character before so it really was out of left field.