Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This needs to be a username.

There is (or used to be) a goon named Scrub-Niggurath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Canonically, if you're meeting up lovecraft gods in Quake, there's nothing stopping them from also talking to evil Strogg. That's kinda the way that whole setting works with lovecraftian gods, that aliens know them too and the evil ones work with them a lot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm not sure where I saw it because it was ages ago (like 2000-ish) but Quake is supposed to be some evil cosmic overlord who recruits things from various times and places to fight for him.

Was that even official? Did I make that up myself and not realize it?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BattleMaster posted:

I'm not sure where I saw it because it was ages ago (like 2000-ish) but Quake is supposed to be some evil cosmic overlord who recruits things from various times and places to fight for him.

Was that even official? Did I make that up myself and not realize it?

Is that possibly a combination of (mis)remembering the plots to Quake and Quake 3?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wouldn't really count third party mission packs as canon anyway, but one of the things that struck me about Quake Mission Pack 1 - Scourge of Armagon is that it feels like a Quake 2 mission pack with new cybernetic enemies, the entire first episode being a tech base and the final boss of that Mission Pack being very clearly a Strogg.

If it is canon then there's clearly some kind of connection.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is that possibly a combination of (mis)remembering the plots to Quake and Quake 3?

I tried to look it up and the Quake wiki has a disambiguation saying Shub-Niggurath's codename is Quake: http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake

So maybe I am remembering it correctly and didn't catch that detail of it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

catlord posted:

Anyway, I just assume that 2 is a parallel world, one of an infinite amount, and sometimes stuff falls through cracks in reality. Which I think is basically what Quake 3 said? I dunno, it seems like with how Quake 1, 3, and Champions are you really don't need convoluted explanations for linking id games.

I kinda hate that everything has to have some megaverse explanation now. Like they took the Zelda games that were never really intended to be in some strict chronology and they gave them a strict chronology involving like 3 parallel dimensions.

Its missing the point, IMO. There's always a link, there's always a Zelda, that's the prophecy, who cares which happens when? They're each their own thing.

Each quake can just do whatever, it doesn't need to be a series from a narrative standpoint. They're sequels in spirit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

I tried to look it up and the Quake wiki has a disambiguation saying Shub-Niggurath's codename is Quake: http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake

So maybe I am remembering it correctly and didn't catch that detail of it?

Yeah that's what it was retconned as.

Originally I'm pretty sure Quake 1 was supposed to be a fantasy game where you were Quake, and you had a battle axe kinda like the daikatana and poo poo like that.

Then Quake became the bad guy, and it was "code name quake's forces are out to get you through the slipgates!"

Then you go through the slipgates and ends up that whole 'code name quake' was Shub-Niggurath all along

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

At least with Quake II they needed an excuse for why they reused the name. I wonder how things would have gone if they gave it its own name? In that era the id name was enough and it didn't need to be tied to Quake to get people to notice it. But then after that I wonder if Quake III would have been Quake II or have yet another new name? What would Quake Champions be called?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's what it was retconned as.

Originally I'm pretty sure Quake 1 was supposed to be a fantasy game where you were Quake, and you had a battle axe kinda like the daikatana and poo poo like that.

Then Quake became the bad guy, and it was "code name quake's forces are out to get you through the slipgates!"

Then you go through the slipgates and ends up that whole 'code name quake' was Shub-Niggurath all along

Okay, cool; my brain isn't dying on me yet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Quake was also supposed to be a 2D Commander Keen-esque platformer but with less kid-like graphics due to the powerful 256 color graphics of VGA.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zaphod42 posted:

I kinda hate that everything has to have some megaverse explanation now. Like they took the Zelda games that were never really intended to be in some strict chronology and they gave them a strict chronology involving like 3 parallel dimensions.

Its missing the point, IMO. There's always a link, there's always a Zelda, that's the prophecy, who cares which happens when? They're each their own thing.

Each quake can just do whatever, it doesn't need to be a series from a narrative standpoint. They're sequels in spirit.

That strikes me as unusually un-curious. I mean, people naturally enjoy continuity, even if it's not a direct continuity. Connecting dots is just what people do, and to me it seems that that's a sign of successfully being engaged with the work. Especially when you have something that tells its story in a sere and evocative manner, like Quake or LoZ, it's only natural to try and fill in the blanks, try to answer the questions raised and presented. Not that there's anything wrong with treating things as entirely self-contained, it just seems like a natural thing to ponder about something you love.

Besides, Quake 1 was explicitly about dimension-hopping so it's not really a stretch to go all-in on a multiverse, and Adventure of Link was a direct sequel, so it's not like there wasn't precedent for continuity in the Zelda franchise.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Quake Manual.txt posted:

Background:

You get the phone call at 4 a.m. By 5:30 you're in the secret installation.

The commander explains tersely, "It's about the Slipgate device. Once we perfect these, we'll be able to use them to transport people and cargo from one place to another instantly.

"An enemy codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap.

"The hell of it is we have no idea where he's from. Our top scientists think Quake's not from Earth, but another dimension. They say Quake's preparing to unleash his real army, whatever that is.

"You're our best man. This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in charge. Find Quake, and stop him ... or it ... You have full authority to requisition anything you need. If the eggheads are right, all our lives are expendable."

Prelude to Destruction:

While scouting the neighborhood, you hear shots back at the base.

drat, that Quake bastard works fast!

He heard about Operation Counterstrike, and hit first. Racing back, you see the place is overrun. You are almost certainly the only survivor. Operation Counterstrike is over. Except for you.

You know that the heart of the installation holds a slipgate. Since Quake's killers came through, it is still set to his dimension. You can use it to get loose in his hometown. Maybe you can get to the rear end in a top hat personally. You pump a round into your shotgun, and get moving.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Vakal posted:

The problem with most modern FPS games is that you inevitably end up fighting human enemies most of the time and no matter how much you try to make them look different from one another through clothing and body armor, all human silhouettes are basically the same and they move and act the same, and soon you just quit caring.

Older series like Doom and Quake were so good since every enemy type had a visually distinct shape and movements and it just kept things from getting boring.

I am cracking up at the thought of fighting cacodemons in Far Cry. Sneaking through an outpost, stealthily taking things out, and then there's an orb in the sky and it wants me dead.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am cracking up at the thought of fighting cacodemons in Far Cry. Sneaking through an outpost, stealthily taking things out, and then there's an orb in the sky and it wants me dead.

I think you might be talking about that other early old FPS: Americas Army, and its grenades.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

I think you might be talking about that other early old FPS: Americas Army, and its grenades.

I have never heard of that FPS. :saddowns:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I like this.

I'd also love a game where you go through a portal to help with.... Something militaristic but routine, but you end up in some sort of hell dimension. Everything is hosed, but you fight your way through. As time goes on, poo poo gets crazier and crazier, harder to survive, you're almost overwhelmed, about to die and then....

... you arrive at your original destination. Your body went through the portal and was transported in a nanosecond, but your consciousness was trapped for (x) amount of time, and nothing that you just experienced over the past ~20 hours actually happened. Only now, you start seeing the terrible things from the 'nightmare', but in real life.

In short, I would love for a game to take inspiration from Stephen King's The Jaunt, and run with it. Teleportation can gently caress a person up.

We already got Half Life from The Mist (from the same collection of short stories, too!), and I think there's room for another loose adaptation.

Everyone read The Jaunt! :colbert:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have never heard of that FPS. :saddowns:

AA was great for the fact that your team was the good guy Americans and the other team was the terrorists, for both teams - it’s like so close to getting the point but just missing :o:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

At any rate, the main point of AA was that there was always an orb in the sky and it wanted you dead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

AA was great for the fact that your team was the good guy Americans and the other team was the terrorists, for both teams - it’s like so close to getting the point but just missing :o:

It was a fork of a US Army training game, which is why your team is always BLUFOR and the enemy team is always OPFOR.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Copper Vein posted:

Quake Manual

I was using this text as the basis for a cooler intro to my mod. It is of course, like all mods I start, unfinished.

https://youtu.be/mD7N6HY0q1s

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
anyone wanna read a take http://www.bulletpointsmonthly.com/2018/08/08/all-their-engines-by-tara-hillegeist/

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
bullet points is very good

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Thank you, this will keep me warm through the harsh winter ahead.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
it's good to be reminded what a scumfuck sgt mark iv is if nothing else

if you criticise him at all now his girlfriend comes after you lmao

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've gone over that article a few times and I'm not really sure what the ultimate point it. Increasing engine complexity? The life and death of modding? The decreasing importance of the individual in the modern game development setting? Politics? Nostalgia? At the end it says it's about id under Bethesda, but so much of it is spent talking about the simplicity of the original Doom engine, or the weird paragraph about Machine Games, or how impossible it is to mod Doom 3 that it feels like she's saying an awful lot to say very little? I'm not sure what I'm missing in it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

I've gone over that article a few times and I'm not really sure what the ultimate point it. Increasing engine complexity? The life and death of modding? The decreasing importance of the individual in the modern game development setting? Politics? Nostalgia? At the end it says it's about id under Bethesda, but so much of it is spent talking about the simplicity of the original Doom engine, or the weird paragraph about Machine Games, or how impossible it is to mod Doom 3 that it feels like she's saying an awful lot to say very little? I'm not sure what I'm missing in it.

I think it's saying that Doom's modability was a crucial part of its identity and the fact that modability has decreased as tech advances is a failure on the part of id and Bethesda to live up to its legacy.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 30, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That reminds me of the highly moddable open source game engine Cube and its successor, Saurbraten. Did any worthwhile games come out of those? I remember playing the campaigns that came with them and they were kinda dull, but I don't necessarily hold that against them because they're essentially meant to be engine demos anyway.

It was kind of fun to edit the level during gameplay, which was the engine's primary gimmick. Can't figure out how to get to that secret area above? Oh well just activate editing mode and raise the floor! :haw:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

I think it's saying that Doom's modability was a crucial part of its identity and the fact that modability has decreased as tech advances is a failure on the part of id and Bethesda to live up to its legacy?
I mean at the end of the day to make a model/map that'll fit into a modern game is so much more complicated than one that'd fit in say HL1 that it's no wonder modding is kinda relegated to old games now (with the exception of Skyrim/Fallout modding which attracts talented modellers for different reasons) If you can model, rig and animate a highly-detailed model why make mods when there's gonna be studios out there who'll pay you to work.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mak0rz posted:

That reminds me of the highly moddable open source game engine Cube and its successor, Saurbraten. Did any worthwhile games come out of those? I remember playing the campaigns that came with them and they were kinda dull, but I don't necessarily hold that against them because they're essentially meant to be engine demos anyway.

It was kind of fun to edit the level during gameplay, which was the engine's primary gimmick. Can't figure out how to get to that secret area above? Oh well just activate editing mode and raise the floor! :haw:

RedEclipse was based on Cube2 - it played great and I had a lot of fun with it, but it certainly had that "homemade PC game" feel

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Some interesting ideas but drat, needed an editor

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
ZeroMaster has done that pesky thing he does where he invalidates all the Doom 2 UV-MAX records again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arivia posted:

ZeroMaster has done that pesky thing he does where he invalidates all the Doom 2 UV-MAX records again.

I'm glad he's still out there blowing things away because I remember him saying he was burned out and thinking of retiring.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cant say i envy all the d2all runners blowing games over a pain elemental not moving fast enough or not pushing doomguy into the right sector on the first go, but i suppose theyre used to it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arivia posted:

:psyduck:

First I've heard of this guy, and drat, that's cool.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

:psyduck:

First I've heard of this guy, and drat, that's cool.

Zero-Master is kind of one of those kinds of people where you wake up, get coffee, head outside, get the paper, and out of the corner of your eye you see a tiny sidebar under the sports column about how he just kind of casually redefined how everything we know about science works.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

RedEclipse was based on Cube2 - it played great and I had a lot of fun with it, but it certainly had that "homemade PC game" feel

Oh man, I played this a bunch as a kid! Parents had PPC macs forever so game selection was very limited. Completely forgot what it was called.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's going to be a point where all the Doom world records stand unbroken for the rest of time and they'll all belong to Zero Master

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

catlord posted:

That strikes me as unusually un-curious. I mean, people naturally enjoy continuity, even if it's not a direct continuity. Connecting dots is just what people do, and to me it seems that that's a sign of successfully being engaged with the work. Especially when you have something that tells its story in a sere and evocative manner, like Quake or LoZ, it's only natural to try and fill in the blanks, try to answer the questions raised and presented. Not that there's anything wrong with treating things as entirely self-contained, it just seems like a natural thing to ponder about something you love.

Besides, Quake 1 was explicitly about dimension-hopping so it's not really a stretch to go all-in on a multiverse, and Adventure of Link was a direct sequel, so it's not like there wasn't precedent for continuity in the Zelda franchise.

Of course you should fill in blanks, but that doesn't mean every entry in a series has to be a direct sequel or prequel that has some relationship with the past entry's characters or story. Sometimes you can just tell a set of good stories, which each on their own individually have a full world and story and details that you can dig into and be curious about.

Some things have continuity, some don't, but it seems like people try to force it where it explicitly doesn't make sense sometimes.

Every final fantasy game for instance has a rich and detailed world you can be all kinds of curious about. But there's practically zero relation between numbered FFs other than moogles, chocobo, and somebody named Cid. I think that can be a good thing sometimes, to free yourself to tell completely individual stories. They have similar themes, but trying to say "okay so after FF6 their grandchildren are the characters of FFX who create the world of FF1 and FF2 then leads into..." like... they're just cool stories, you know?

If the author says something is a sequel, cool. If they say its not, then don't try to force it. Some things are better that way, but not everything should have to be.

E: Like I think its super cool that Doom 2016 ties in some new continuity from Doom 1/2 to Doom 64 to Doom 4, that didn't really exist before. That's fine. But it would also be fine if they didn't do that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 31, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If they want to make a new quake they should do it like id did and divide up the team into four, have them all do whatever they want and at the end of a year and a half have someone come in and try to write a story around whatever got made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Well that was a rambling yarn to claim that Doom Eternal is named after Eternal Doom (that seems doubtful) and that the glory kill mechanics is inspired by Brutal Doom (pretty sure this was proven false).