Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

SJW RUNING STAR WARS! I refuse to watch it!

*Does nothing but make 4 hour long videos about how bad star wars is now*

Please do not forget to buy the season one blue-ray so one of your videos can be you snapping the disc in half and driving a knife through the case. That'll show Kennedy, the sow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dawgstar posted:

Please do not forget to buy the season one blue-ray so one of your videos can be you snapping the disc in half and driving a knife through the case. That'll show Kennedy, the sow!

Hahahaha, did someone actually do that?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly I love the fact that the irony of buying this thing he hates so much only to destroy it after he already paid for it is lost on him.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Who did this? A YouTube guy?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hahahaha, did someone actually do that?

It's kinda a common thing among the "own the libs" crowd. "Buy Starbucks and make the barista call out the name Trump" "smash the coffee machine you already own" "buy every Rose and Rey action figure so you can dismember them on camera"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jivjov posted:

It's kinda a common thing among the "own the libs" crowd. "Buy Starbucks and make the barista call out the name Trump" "smash the coffee machine you already own" "buy every Rose and Rey action figure so you can dismember them on camera"

Yeah, I was thinking specifically of very recently an alt-right Comcisgate chud who reviewed the new West Coast Avengers #1 on YouTube and, pronouncing it 'hipster trash,' made a big show of sticking a giant knife through it and tearing the comic up. Which is a sane and rational thing to do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jivjov posted:

The best example of this was all those idiots buying Colin Kapernik football shirts, which apparently cost a fuckton of money, some of which goes to the player since his name is licensed, and promptly burning them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

site posted:

Two women, an alien, no white people

Don't be ridiculous, Neeku is clearly stiff enough to be the token white guy.

NTRabbit posted:

Same as in Star Trek, the physical models usually look way better up until the point where they need to explode, which is where no practical effect can match CG

Are physical props and miniatures just too expensive nowadays to be worth it compared to CGI for most productions? Or is it just a case that it isn't worth the time to make them rather than the monetary investment? I think Terminator II probably has some of the best special effects in movies and it seems to be because it used a good mix of practical effects and CGI, even when the CGI was rather simplistic and early days and the practical effects ensure the whole still holds up regardless of some ropey computer effects.

banned from Starbucks posted:

The main character is a white guy

He definitely looks fairly generically white, but with a name like "Kazudo" I'd assume there's some Asian influence in there. The production team might have played his character design safe and made it kind of Asian/kind of European just in case but I'd say between his name and his VA there's a fairly clear intent.

TheCenturion posted:

Aren’t they literally a racing team?

I hope the show keeps to racing stuff for a while to ground the characters, mostly because I want some stuff that isn't "Rebels/Empire" (or some derivative) in Star Wars and a more "slice of life racing team" story would be cool. Even if they keep the spying stuff to the B plots for a while it'll be cool.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

tsob posted:

Are physical props and miniatures just too expensive nowadays to be worth it compared to CGI for most productions? Or is it just a case that it isn't worth the time to make them rather than the monetary investment? I think Terminator II probably has some of the best special effects in movies and it seems to be because it used a good mix of practical effects and CGI, even when the CGI was rather simplistic and early days and the practical effects ensure the whole still holds up regardless of some ropey computer effects.

I don't know if it's cost or lost expertise - good miniatures look great, but bad miniature work will always look worse than even middle of the road CG, and trying to blend good physical models with the sort of CG needed to meet modern expectations is probably far too expensive for a TV show. Bad miniature work has a camp feel to it, like watching old episode of The Thunderbirds, or Red Dwarf, but without the nostalgia.

The Expanse is the best one going right now, and they're entirely CG out in space; even The Orville only has a physical model for certain shots, and switches to CG for the more involved scenes.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

tsob posted:

Are physical props and miniatures just too expensive nowadays to be worth it compared to CGI for most productions?
They are. I'm working on a movie right now where the director wanted to use miniature spaceships as a stylistic throwback to movies like 2001, but the studio convinced him to go with CGI since it would be cheaper.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

High definition has done no favors to miniatures work in movies past.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Miniatures have a great look but only when everything else is being done that way. Once you start trying to compete with what CG can do, it just all falls apart.

Like, Return of the Jedi has some of the best miniature work put to screen. But looks at the breakdown of the shots. There's only a couple of minutes total of miniature shots and most are with a static (or nearly static) camera. There's some really complex shots of ships moving around and following other ships but most shots are "ship flies past in one direction".

As soon as you want to do more complicated panning shots or long takes, CG makes everything easier. Or if the industry has moved on to more complex action, the audience expects to see that in future films.

Madurai posted:

There is this weirdness to how sharp the Star Destroyers look in Rouge One. They feel overly detailed and sharpened but I know its just the ultra-detailed CG models (likely based on direct scans of older miniatures) filling in the gaps my mind did for me with the older movies.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Madurai posted:

By the same coin I would not be surprised if we see a few actors try to block 4k releases of their new films if 4k ever really starts to take off.

I'm 1000% talking about Tom Cruise here.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Thwomp posted:

Miniatures have a great look but only when everything else is being done that way. Once you start trying to compete with what CG can do, it just all falls apart.

I don't know, the Laika productions tend to blend stop-motion and CGI work beautifully, and a lot of their work is extremely intricate and detailed. I suppose the scale is still much smaller than space ships, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I don't know, the Laika productions tend to blend stop-motion and CGI work beautifully, and a lot of their work is extremely intricate and detailed. I suppose the scale is still much smaller than space ships, though.

And they don't care if it looks tiny, that's part of the style.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Given the thread title, I assume it's been posted before, but I just found out that Freddie Prinze had the cast on his YouTube channel a while back to play the Fantasy Flight version of the Star Wars RPG. It's him, Vanessa Marshall (Hera), Taylor Gray (Ezra), Steve Blum (Zeb) and Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn (Pryce) with Sam Witwer (Maul) running the game. Kind of neat because there's kind of a whole gamut of gamers there. Vanessa and Taylor seem to be completely new, Freddie is obviously a big tabletop guy but hasn't played an RPG for a while, and Steve and Mary play D&D semi-regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbRqZT7-tc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Given the thread title, I assume it's been posted before, but I just found out that Freddie Prinze had the cast on his YouTube channel a while back to play the Fantasy Flight version of the Star Wars RPG. It's him, Vanessa Marshall (Hera), Taylor Gray (Ezra), Steve Blum (Zeb) and Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn (Pryce) with Sam Witwer (Maul) running the game. Kind of neat because there's kind of a whole gamut of gamers there. Vanessa and Taylor seem to be completely new, Freddie is obviously a big tabletop guy but hasn't played an RPG for a while, and Steve and Mary play D&D semi-regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbRqZT7-tc

Yeah, I was really impressed by how Vanessa got into it. I think she was pretty new.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This was a pretty intresting discussion on what we might see in the new Clone Wars episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tMfJ7bTmmI

I don't want to see our favorite Clone Grandpas murdering Jedi

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

twistedmentat posted:

This was a pretty intresting discussion on what we might see in the new Clone Wars episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tMfJ7bTmmI

I don't want to see our favorite Clone Grandpas murdering Jedi

Rex didn't cause he was with Ahsoka on Mandalore, but Wolffe was Plo Koon's clone commander and he got his rear end shot down by clone fighters, so maybe he did it in person, maybe he didn't

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I just wish they had done Rex vs Cody

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im not gonna watch some dumb yt fan vid, whats the tldr for thinking we're gonna get another order 66 arc

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

site posted:

Im not gonna watch some dumb yt fan vid, whats the tldr for thinking we're gonna get another order 66 arc

They interviewed one of the writers at a convention, and he said that for the finale they decided to explore the idea that some/all of the Grandpas hadn't actually removed their control chips before order 66, as most people had assumed, taking Wolffe's reaction to Kanan by taking a shot at him and saying "the Jedi are here for revenge" as a starting point. Also that Rex, Gregor, and Wolffe would all have been on different planets when the order came down. The youtubers did more speculating about Rex than the writer did, trying to make it fit in with the Ahsoka book and convincing themselves more than anyone else.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 9, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ty

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I threw on a random episode of Clone Wars just to have something on in the background with my 2 year old, and it was an episode with Jar Jar posing as a Jedi and hiding in water. She was transfixed to the screen, and turned to me slowly and said, "Jar Jar under the water!" while smiling.

So she's into it. I'll take what I can get, whenever she likes what she calls, "Pew pew TV".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Star Wars captivates another youngling.

And that, my goon friends, is why George Lucas came up with Jar Jar Binks.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I liked that episode of Clone Wars. Pairing Jar Jar and Threepio up is fun because for the first time in his life, Threepio has to be the straight man in a comedy duo.

Also: One of the most interesting parts of the TPM commentary track is Lucas talking about how for young kids, one of the scariest parts of the movie is when Jar Jar gets his hand stuck in the pod racer turbine as they’re about to start it up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DancinBrud posted:

Also: One of the most interesting parts of the TPM commentary track is Lucas talking about how for young kids, one of the scariest parts of the movie is when Jar Jar gets his hand stuck in the pod racer turbine as they’re about to start it up.

And for the rest of us it was another brief surge of hope before more crushing disappointment

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If she likes the jar jar episodes you have to sever sorry those are the rules

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't think I can take anyone seriously who still hates Jar Jar to this day.

Just like anyone who says they still hate Ewoks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just lol if you were a little kid when TPM came out and still can’t admit to liking Jar Jar at the time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just lol if you were a little kid when TPM came out and still can’t admit to liking Jar Jar at the time

I was a kid and I didn't like Jar Jar

he wasn't a cool space wizard and kept them from doing cool things, so gently caress him

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh god, you're all grownups now, aren't you?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yep!

D:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Madurai posted:

Oh god, you're all grownups now, aren't you?

TPM’s 20th anniversary is next year :stonklol:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was 13 when tpm came out

He sucked then too

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Jar jar was crap, but boss nass, now that is the good stuff

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I didn't have a problem with the Gungans, but I suuuuuuure didn't like Jar Jar and his antics. I remember being concerned that he might lose his hand during the aforementioned podracer scene but most other times he just annoyed me because he seemed a little too stupid. That and him just eating everything with his tongue was gross

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

site posted:

If she likes the jar jar episodes you have to sever sorry those are the rules

Sorry but the buddy cop arc with him and Mace Windu fuckin rules. Kid's ahead of the game.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Their Temple of Doom episode was surprisingly decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://youtu.be/MDtY2vVlfaQ

the more i see of resistance the more i like!

• Locked thread