Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Not gonna look at the potential spoiler blocks but it's definitely curious how much is being held back i.e. who the leader of the villains is, who the person who shows up at the end of the E3 demo is, and why the special edition statue for this game hasn't been revealed because it contains a "spoiler." Part of me wants to say it involves Venom/the black suit.

The confirmed no symbiotes or Venom and I REALLY hope they stick to that. I'm so tired of Venom to the point where the new movie just being a whole new story is nicer than "Welp, he's evil Spider-Man!" Ugh.

Also, apparently, the statue is hidden in the box too. Brian Intihar said that whatever Spider-Man is crouching on is a spoiler in and of itself and will be hidden when you take it out of the box. They want people to play the game and, when they think they figure out who (or what) the spoiler is, to open the statue.

Definitely going to do a media blackout next week except maybe this thread since goons seem pretty good at spoiler text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, apparently, the statue is hidden in the box too. Brian Intihar said that whatever Spider-Man is crouching on is a spoiler in

Specifically what he's crouching on? That is weird. Just gonna be completely out of nowhere like the second half of the game is in the Savage Land or 2099 or some poo poo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Specifically what he's crouching on? That is weird. Just gonna be completely out of nowhere like the second half of the game is in the Savage Land or 2099 or some poo poo.

one-third through the game you follow Venom and Carnage on a space shuttle to another planet

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

McDragon posted:

one of the games has Spidey take the piss out of Shocker's costume and he calls him "The Cushion" and that is always the first depiction of him that comes to mind

he looks like he made his costume out of his nana's couch

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I actually missed the first time around in Homecoming how the first Shocker has the classic costume design on his jacket arms because I kept expecting Woodbine to be Shocker from the trailers so I didn't pay the other guy much attention.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I'm gonna be that guy and say that I am disappointed the swinging doesn't look as true to physics as Spiderman 2. It wouldn't bother me except for they're so close with the webs actually sticking to buildings and angles determining your swing, but then I see Spiderman come out of a deep dive into a slow parabola and cringe a little.

Still, this is the best looking swinging we've gotten in over a decade, so I will gladly take what I can get.

That's probably what would happen considering he has stretchy webs though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, apparently, the statue is hidden in the box too. Brian Intihar said that whatever Spider-Man is crouching on is a spoiler in and of itself and will be hidden when you take it out of the box. They want people to play the game and, when they think they figure out who (or what) the spoiler is, to open the statue.

Definitely going to do a media blackout next week except maybe this thread since goons seem pretty good at spoiler text.

I'm gonna take a well educated guess and say he's standing on an Octobot and Octavius is involved in this to a large degree.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Could be Miles in costume and then he's standing on the grave of Peter Parker? That'd fit it being a two part reveal of the statue, the Spiderman part is revealed/made clear early in the game (like, Miles has been active for awhile but just hasn't been seen properly and everyone thinks he's just regular Spiderman) and then the base is obviously a much bigger spoiler that then gets revealed later on. This is speculation just to be clear, not read any of the spoilers or anything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'd like to see some miles but i'm skeptical sony and marvel would be down for pulling a big mgs2-style misdirect like some people are speculating

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I'm gonna take a well educated guess and say he's standing on an Octobot and Octavius is involved in this to a large degree.

I'd be ok with Ock being the main villain this time around. The last good Sinister Six game I played was Spider-Man 2: The Sinister Six on Gameboy Color.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

thebardyspoon posted:

Mr Negative could have been one of the ones broken out at that point in the game if you put him away relatively early though and then Green Goblin could be showing up as the mastermind of the breakout. I think it is probably Doc Ock but the framing of the shot at the end of the E3 trailer does kinda make it look like someone flying in and hovering there.

If I had to put money on it I'd bet Doc Ock as the main villain of this game with his Sinister Six and some sort of big plan and then maybe a surprise team up near the end. Then they have hints throughout that both Harry and Norman are up to something and a post credits thing setting the Green Goblin up for a sequel with it being a mystery who it actually is.

I think I said this in some other thread but I sorta think Miles might have a bigger role than they've revealed so far, maybe some sort of Halo 2/MGS 2 situation where you play a bit of the game as him after Peter gets incapacitated or something and then afterwards can swap between them. Just feels like they're playing something close to their chest, apparently one of the super collectors editions comes with a statue that they aren't showing because it's a spoiler.

I mean, Mr. Negative shows up in a helicopter to that, it really feels like he didn't just break out. Also I can't check at the moment but is it possible the helicopter went and picked up whoever it was at the end so it could really be anyone?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh, that shows me for not rewatching that entire trailer haha. Yeah I forgot that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Today in "All nerds need to get wedgies again", nerds are freaking out over puddles being removed.

https://kotaku.com/people-who-havent-played-spider-man-are-mad-the-develop-1828724400

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Today in "All nerds need to get wedgies again", nerds are freaking out over puddles being removed.

https://kotaku.com/people-who-havent-played-spider-man-are-mad-the-develop-1828724400

oh yeah, people were in a tizzy because of a perceived downgrade when it's mostly "we moved a puddle" and also screenshots being legit taken at different times of the city day i.e. at early evening versus afternoon.

thebardyspoon posted:

Could be Miles in costume and then he's standing on the grave of Peter Parker?

This would be the most hilariously grim thing

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngor9JUKRxk

Apparently, this poo poo started because of something with Watchdogs.

(EDIT: That thumbnail is awful as gently caress...but the guy is actually pretty chill and talks about how it's probably all Ubisoft's fault. His laugh is a worrying barking cough though...)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, this poo poo started because of something with Watchdogs.

I posted it on the PS4 thread but it’s mainly Ubisoft who notoriously overhype their trailers / gameplay demos with impossible graphics then downgrade the gently caress out of it by release.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

This would be the most hilariously grim thing

Haha I phrased it badly, I mean more like, standing to the side of it and looking mournful or something. I'm just really curious what it is to be honest, your idea of it being a Superior Spider-man thing could be on the money but I feel like that's more of a second or third game thing though really, it works as a spin on something you've done before y'know? A lot of it worked as a subversion of what Peter had been doing in comics for ages, at least initially, then it all came crashing down.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Unlucky7 posted:

Thanks for defending the product.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

UP AND ADAM posted:

Thanks for defending the product.

You need a wedgie

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Care much?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Nah

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Have they talked about collectables? I actually enjoy them up to a point. Having a few things to collect and completeing getting you a bonus is a nice time waster in open world games, but some cases its just stupid when they jam a ton of collectables in and they're loving brutal to completed.

loving Riddler Trophies.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Have they talked about collectables? I actually enjoy them up to a point. Having a few things to collect and completeing getting you a bonus is a nice time waster in open world games, but some cases its just stupid when they jam a ton of collectables in and they're loving brutal to completed.

loving Riddler Trophies.

Only thing I know of is the backpacks around the city. You can get upgrades to your weapons and costumes from them.

I like to think that poor Aunt May bought him a shitload of backpacks and he just casually put them all around the city. Even better if they're all the same drat backpack.

Like he just REALLY liked the specific blue North Face one so that's all she bought him. Ever. Like once a week.

He was probably a little poo poo as a kid.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Maybe the twist is that the whole "I was keeping them at bay" thing was a ruse, and Kingpin has orchestrated the whole thing right down to throwing the intro fight so that the others take down Spidey, and thus Fisk gets to keep his hands clean while simultaneously making a behind-the-scenes (bars?) deal with another Marvel villain?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

one-third through the game you follow Venom and Carnage on a space shuttle to another planet

Your joke leads me to contemplate that an adaptation of Ends of the Earth might turn out pretty well. It'd be a brand new setting for a Spider-Man video game that's never been done before; I'd certainly rather see them take a crack at that than Superior.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I must've missed the release date on the OP

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Carnage could be cool for one level if they lean real hard into slasher horror. Arkham asylum with alien: isolation splashed in. Unfortunately this is not spider-man.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I must've missed the release date on the OP

assumed everyone knew but it's next Friday

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

twistedmentat posted:

Have they talked about collectables?

I really liked them in Crackdown, but even moreso in... poo poo, I forget what Spidey game it was, but they all show up on the map once you got something like, 70% of them? And it was real chill and a perfect hangover remedy to just take in the sights and sweep them all up.

Can't wait to sling some web next Friday... and once I'm done jacking off, I'll probably play this video game. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I'll be here all week.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does the limited edition PS4 Pro bundle include a digital or physical copy of Spider-Man?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Medullah posted:

Does the limited edition PS4 Pro bundle include a digital or physical copy of Spider-Man?

Physical.

I am extremely hype for this game. Has anyone heard if the Collectors Edition will be available anywhere without pre-order?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Physical.

I am extremely hype for this game. Has anyone heard if the Collectors Edition will be available anywhere without pre-order?

There aren't any more left outside of pre-order, last I checked. Insomniac has said that, once they're gone, they're gone.

They're apparently known for actually making things limited time like the Ratchet and Clank pre-order DLC that they confirmed they'll never rerelease.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I put this down finally for physical pickup next week. I hope nobody at Gamestop yanks the statue out early lol. It's crazy how there are legit mysteries I'm curious about in a Spider-Man game. Last time I had such a lockdown on info was with God of War since there were certainly big surprises in that.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

ThermoPhysical posted:

There aren't any more left outside of pre-order, last I checked. Insomniac has said that, once they're gone, they're gone.

They're apparently known for actually making things limited time like the Ratchet and Clank pre-order DLC that they confirmed they'll never rerelease.

I preordered the standard edition from Amazon back when they still had the 20% off. Is there any difference between the standard and digital deluxe other than the DLC? Did they announce if said digital deluxe DLC is exclusive to that version and won't be available for download if we buy the standard, or is it a season pass sort of thing that we can purchase separately?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It looks fun and Spiderman 2 was one of my favorite games growing up but if there's going to be a season pass I'm just going to wait until a GOTY edition comes out

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ihatepants posted:

I preordered the standard edition from Amazon back when they still had the 20% off. Is there any difference between the standard and digital deluxe other than the DLC? Did they announce if said digital deluxe DLC is exclusive to that version and won't be available for download if we buy the standard, or is it a season pass sort of thing that we can purchase separately?

Digital Deluxe gets a pin and the DLC pack.

The DLC itself is not exclusive to anything (it's also in the Collector's Edition). You can actually buy it right now on PSN as a bundle for $25 or buy them separately on their respective release dates for $10 each (October 23, November 2018, December 2018).

The Collector's gets the statue, a sticker, steelbook case, mini art book (which I REALLY hope it's got the same content as the full-size art book...just smaller) and the DLC pack.

The only way to get the DLC without paying $25-$30 is to preorder the Digital Deluxe or the Collector's Edition.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is this was counts as a downgrade these days? bugs in the loving brain, man.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Anyone who fixates on prerelease gameplay footage to the degree that they would even notice that change should be lobotomized IMO.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Yeah, it's literally just some lighting, shadows, the puddles, and a few background details (like the floor marks and pallet). If that's all they have to change to keep the framerate on a vanilla, who cares?

(I predict a launch window YouTube trend of vanilla vs. Pro comparison videos that'll die out within the week.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Did Watch Dogs really hurt these people that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd0IjMXt0U0

Photo mode coming in a day 1 patch. Looks like there are a lot of cool options and stickers, you can make it look like a comic cover! I love a good photo mode, it'll be fun to roleplay Peter's photojournalism. :D