Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah looks like a combo of dry brushing and those Tamiya weathering pigments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey, does Bandai ever leak the limited edition gunpla they plan on selling at the major cons? I have a friend going to PAX West and I might want to bribe him but I want to make it easy.

Whoa didn't realize they're going to have a booth, will have to peep that tomorrow.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Guys those armoured cat April Fools joke that became a reality are now shipping!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Midjack posted:

Whoa didn't realize they're going to have a booth, will have to peep that tomorrow.

I just saw two huge areas for Bandai-Namico, so I could be mistaken.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

I just saw two huge areas for Bandai-Namico, so I could be mistaken.

Bamco always has a giant booth but never had Gundam merch before.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/necome_titan/status/1035281289857753088?s=19

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Puddin posted:

Guys those armoured cat April Fools joke that became a reality are now shipping!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
and wave 2

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1035361584124776453

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my wife is going to make me preorder every single one of these

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Only because you haven't preordered them already you clown. Get on it!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Bamco always has a giant booth but never had Gundam merch before.

No Gundams at the Bamco booth at PAX West.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Midjack posted:

No Gundams at the Bamco booth at PAX West.

Oh well.

This ad showed up while browsing r/gunpla.

That targeting is a bit creepy!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I got a 3D Printer this past month from a friend of mine in town (crazy huge Folgertech FT5 he used for making masks) And decided that my first project would be to make some cute accessory for a Nobel that I haven't touched in years.

Bunny Ears!

(I definitely need to dust her off better, oof.)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Sailor Scout accessories...

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Guys I found out a way to get some free tweezers, clamps and some short throw scissors that are perfectly suited to modelling.

Step one : Smash a light fixture directly above your head and stop the debris with your head.

Step two : Get yourself down to the hospital and get stitches in your head.

Step three : Take the utensils as they are single use and they throw them away or ask if you want to keep them.

It's that easy!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Dakka Heavyarms showed up today! I’m very excited to start it after my Deathscythe Hell. That and the P-Bandai Altron should make a fun trio of Gundam Wings! I’ll pose them against my multiple 1/144 Leos as a cherry on top.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Puddin posted:

Step three : Take the utensils as they are single use and they throw them away or ask if you want to keep them.

That's because they're usually covered in blood, or worse.

I think only hospitals use the the throw away kind, most clinics have a high pressure boiling device that kills germs on the fully metal devices.

I ran across a 1/144 HG Tall-geese III, and got it for $4. Hooooooo boy, kind of an interesting choice to mold it in ALL white.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Had another peg shear off an action base into the connector on an Super Robot Chogokin. Any advice for getting that stuff out? I'm assuming a pin vice to drill in? I need some drat brass rods!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EthanSteele posted:

Had another peg shear off an action base into the connector on an Super Robot Chogokin. Any advice for getting that stuff out? I'm assuming a pin vice to drill in? I need some drat brass rods!

Drilling it out is really the only decent option.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

A.... Gundam..... Minipla?

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/09/mini-pla-gundam-build-divers-great.html

This is interesting. If it's cheap, I think I'm interested in trying this.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

And sure enough, the HG GM Cannon has gone to P-Bandai.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000128378

On the one hand, sure the Sniper Custom and Cannon have already had MGs so it makes some sense to make the newcomers general release. But on the other hand surely they would sell better than the Interceptor? It's pretty ugly, nobody has ever heard of it and it's technically not even complete without the giant booster unit so it may be getting it's own PB anyway.

Edit: My mistake, MG GM Cannon wasn't even general release.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 3, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know what really needs a new kit?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

You know what really needs a new kit?

It's like the ugly lovechild of Megatron and the RX-78-02.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The PG 00 Raiser is a beast and you should all be aware that the GN drives not only light up, they loving spin up.

Although I'm not a fan of having to use the clutch gear system thingy in the shoulder to move the arm outwards, this is one hell of an amazingly engineered beast and I can't wait to display it with the 0 Raiser separate. Not enough love for the pointy space fighter boy.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I've been wanting to build a PG for years but could never justify the cash for the models available. I have 3 various Unicorn / Banshee models in the collection so I'm not particularly up for the PG. I never got into SEED or its spinoffs, so Strike / Rouge / Red Frame (mostly because of the color design) / S. Freedom fall into that as well.

I loved 00 when it originally aired. Between the 00+R and the Exia, which would be the better build for the cash? I feel like the 00+R has shelf presence with those shoulder bits, but the Exia can get those sleek action poses. Discuss.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

As far as the price is concerned, you can get the Exia cheaper if you can live without the magical light display.

I've never built a PG either. I kinda want one of the old ones that have a thousand tiny hatches and display it fully opened.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I got the PG 00 because I felt like I had to do a PG and didn't really feel the others that were out there. I'd just seen 00 for the first time a couple of years ago, so I figured why the heck not.

It's an amazing build, the mechanical complexity and engineering is a real challenge and interesting. That said, I'd go with the Exia with the lighting kit. There's an attempt to get it to have sort of electro-ribbon thingies in the joints but it's not the same.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've built two pg's and I did enjoy them. The main problem is really that you can get burnt out. Spending an afternoon working and only finishing a leg can get tiresome. If there's a design you like a lot and there's a pg of it, go for it.

RillAkBea posted:

I've never built a PG either. I kinda want one of the old ones that have a thousand tiny hatches and display it fully opened.

That's pretty much why I picked up the PG Zaku.

Speaking of which, still plugging away at it:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

As far as the price is concerned, you can get the Exia cheaper if you can live without the magical light display.

If you're not going to make the GN Drive and panels light up, what's the point? :colbert:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

slightpirate posted:

I've been wanting to build a PG for years but could never justify the cash for the models available. I have 3 various Unicorn / Banshee models in the collection so I'm not particularly up for the PG. I never got into SEED or its spinoffs, so Strike / Rouge / Red Frame (mostly because of the color design) / S. Freedom fall into that as well.

I loved 00 when it originally aired. Between the 00+R and the Exia, which would be the better build for the cash? I feel like the 00+R has shelf presence with those shoulder bits, but the Exia can get those sleek action poses. Discuss.

The exia if you get the lighting model. It’s so well engineered, and the lights look awesome.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Monaghan posted:

Speaking of which, still plugging away at it:

That looks really good dude.

With cold weather on the distant horizon, what does everyone's indoor paint setup look like during cold seasons? Are you cracking a window? Painting in the basement?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hello again. I'm looking for 2 reccomendations for model kits and since the thread has been helpful so far I'm hoping to do well here.

So my younger brother and I build gunpla together and he still loves it (he's 9 and the finished models become his new toys). However I've been wanting to try building a master grade kit. Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good introduction to master grade kits? Not fussed on what model exactly, but he does have a few requests:

- The finished model should be pretty durable. Can the arms and legs bend easily without falling off? So far haven't had had any problems with the gundams we've built but if it can't do this much it's a non starter.
- The model shouldn't have spikey wings (ala the strike freedom and most SEED gundams).
- Nothing that requires any sort of glue

Shifting gears, he really likes the EVA 00 kit we built (specifically this one I got from a shop not far from me). I'd like to buy another one for him but unfortunately they didn't have any other models. A quick look online shows them as being pretty expensive and ebay is full of crap knockoffs.

To that end, can anyone reccomend an evangelion model kit that isn't too expensive? Only restriction is that it isn't another orange Unit 00. Any other EVA is fine.

If anyone has any reccomendations for either of these I'd greatly appreciate it.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 4, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gotta recommend any of the modern GM kits for durable, non-spikey, no-glue, affordable starter Master Grades

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Command-Colony-Building/dp/B0776P762J/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536088845&sr=8-2&keywords=MG+GM

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Sniper-Gundam-Action/dp/B01N0A0V6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536088845&sr=8-1&keywords=MG+GM

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Sniper-Custom-Model-Japan/dp/B075CLWG8W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536089343&sr=8-2&keywords=gm+sniper+custom

I've only built the Command, but they're all basically the same kit. They use the same rock solid inner frame, but with slightly different armor pieces on top

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 4, 2018

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I gotta recommend any of the modern GM kits for durable, non-spikey, no-glue, affordable starter Master Grades

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Command-Colony-Building/dp/B0776P762J/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536088845&sr=8-2&keywords=MG+GM

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Sniper-Gundam-Action/dp/B01N0A0V6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536088845&sr=8-1&keywords=MG+GM

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Sniper-Custom-Model-Japan/dp/B075CLWG8W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536089343&sr=8-2&keywords=gm+sniper+custom

I've only built the Command, but they're all basically the same kit. They use the same rock solid inner frame, but with slightly different armor pieces on top

Oh nice! They don't look too similar to the GM high grade we built so he's gonna love having them in his collection. Thanks :).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

... and it's confirmed that the december pg release is the seven swords 00.

I like 00 designs but gently caress me is that disappointing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

Time for the pre-orders to immediately plummet.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

EVGA Longoria posted:

The exia if you get the lighting model. It’s so well engineered, and the lights look awesome.

Any excuse to post mine again!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Ah, that sucks

on the plus side, they've got to be close to running out of 00/exia stuff, right? :shrug:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

tenderjerk posted:

Ah, that sucks

on the plus side, they've got to be close to running out of 00/exia stuff, right? :shrug:

Theres stil the Qant/Repair 2 and 3/XN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress me that really sucks. I would have killed for a PG Sazabi or PG Kampfer.