Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Casu Marzu posted:

How is gas grilling more complicated? It's basically cooking over a gas range. I find gas grills are easy mode.

Well, I had barely cooked at all and then started grilling on a little charcoal grill that really only handled direct heat. So maybe it was just how I learned. And like I said, once you have the setup, it is easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Annath posted:

That all sounds amazing. The place I'm going to is called Texas de Brazil.

It's gonna be the best looking salad bar you have ever seen. Don't do it. Rookie mistake. All meat, all the time.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

By all means tho, fill up on Brazilian breads in other contexts.

Pão de queijo isn't even really bread and it still owns.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You fucks, I’m lying in bed and I just joined a loving notify-me email list at Porter Road for the next time Picanha is in stock.

Never had it but I just read up on it, god drat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I need some stale bread tomorrow, and I don’t have any bread in. Is there a way to hasten the process so I have really stale bread in less than 24h?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

I need some stale bread tomorrow, and I don’t have any bread in. Is there a way to hasten the process so I have really stale bread in less than 24h?
Cut into pieces to increase surface area and store in a cool, damp place (like a drawer in the fridge with something moist). The ideal temperature for retrogradation of the starches in bread (which is one of the primary mechanisms of bread staling) is just above freezing, between 0 and 4 C.

That's if you actually want stale bread, and aren't just e.g. making crouton or something where you're better off just baking at a low temperature to dry the bread out (which isn't actually staling) and toasting it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fantastic, I’ve cut the bread up and put it in the fridge, hopefully it’ll be stale nice and fast!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Why would you need it stale rather then toasted/crisped?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Stale bread absorbs liquid differently than toasted so it can make a difference for stuffing or bread pudding

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Casu Marzu posted:

Stale bread absorbs liquid differently than toasted so it can make a difference for stuffing or bread pudding

In what way? Not doubting, just asking.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It’s for gazpacho, I think toasted would be wrong

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I bought a big bag of frozen naan from the halal market and after reheating it on my pizza stone it tastes like, well, the inside of a freezer. Is there a way to salvage it or should I just toss it?

Edit: It looks fine. No visible freezer burn.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My mom sent me an electric pressure cooker a few weeks ago as a gift.

1.) why do I have an irrational fear that this thing is gonna just blow up in my kitchen?
2.) what should I cook with it as baby's first pressure cooker experience?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Drone posted:

1.) why do I have an irrational fear that this thing is gonna just blow up in my kitchen?

1) because you're irrational

2) check out the thread and see what grabs you!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704340&perpage=40

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Stock

Beans

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Turn some cheap meat into some yummy beef stew.

And then learn how to pressure cook dry beans, and never buy canned beans again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My first pressure cooker recipe was beef stew and I was blown away by how much of a difference it made. Was especially surprised that meat ended up so tender whilst veggies still had a bit of bite to them.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 31, 2018

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Last week I made lemons bars using this NY Times recipe. It was delicious and super easy.

Could I make sub in oranges for lemons and make orange bars? I imagine I'd cut the amount of sugar in half, but with the same amount of orange juice and orange zest.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make lemon bars again and enter the ICSA

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Qubee posted:

My first pressure cooker recipe was beef stew and I was blown away by how much of a difference it made. Was especially surprised that meat ended up so tender whilst veggies still had a bit of bite to them.

How long was it in the pressure cooker? Obviously [in a non-pressurized environment], you can always get some tender meat and time the veggies to keep them firm, but it takes hours.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 31, 2018

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

How long was it in the pressure cooker? Obviously, you can always get some tender meat and time the veggies to keep them firm, but it takes hours.
If your pressure cooker is taking hours to make beef tender then holy poo poo you need a new pressure cooker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SubG posted:

If your pressure cooker is taking hours to make beef tender then holy poo poo you need a new pressure cooker.

Or put the lid on it

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Put the seal on the pressure cooker in the right position. A common beginner mistake is to put the lid on improperly or not seal it correctly. There should be a small vent that you position left or right for sealing/venting. If it's in the vent position, then steam will escape, and you won't pressure cook your food.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Took 40 mins for my beef stew and I was surprised at how much bite the veggies still had. I just threw everything in and didn't care cause I was expecting the veg to turn to mush. But then I open it up, the beef is falling apart and you can still visibly tell what each vegetable is.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SubG posted:

Poorly worded - second sentence refers to normal, non-pressurized cooking.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Make lemon bars again and enter the ICSA

Do what.... we still do this? I thought these died a while ago. I kind of want to participate. I only ever did the Junior IC for breakfast years ago when there was like 35 entries.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drone posted:

Tonight I browned ground beef, added a chopped onion, carrots, peppers, garlic. Bay leaf, paprika, nutmeg, ginger, za'atar, and salt. Add 2 cups of soaked and rinsed rice, 2 cups chicken stock, cook for however long for the type of rice you use. In my case 22 minutes since used mixed grains. Amazing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

wormil posted:

Tonight I browned ground beef, added a chopped onion, carrots, peppers, garlic. Bay leaf, paprika, nutmeg, ginger, za'atar, and salt. Add 2 cups of soaked and rinsed rice, 2 cups chicken stock, cook for however long for the type of rice you use. In my case 22 minutes since used mixed grains. Amazing.

Gonna try this tonight since it sounds super low-effort and good.

After browning just put it all in at the same time, just a one-pot deal?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sterster posted:

Do what.... we still do this? I thought these died a while ago. I kind of want to participate. I only ever did the Junior IC for breakfast years ago when there was like 35 entries.

Yes, they’re less frequent now that the forums are quieter, but Liquid Communism is stepping up and being the hero we need:

Thread is here, everyone should enter.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I make a lot of air popped popcorn, I can’t seem to get my salt to stick. Any suggestions?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Spray it with Pam.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that if you grind ordinary salt up until it is a superfine dust, it sticks perfectly. Apparently you use a clean electric coffee grinder/smoothie maker/go mad with a mortar and pestle.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

obi_ant posted:

I make a lot of air popped popcorn, I can’t seem to get my salt to stick. Any suggestions?
Use Flavacol instead. That poo poo sticks like turmeric.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My old man came up with a solution: a spray bottle with salt solution. This is really good for air popped popcorn, as it adds some moisture without fat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drone posted:

Gonna try this tonight since it sounds super low-effort and good.

After browning just put it all in at the same time, just a one-pot deal?

One pot. I used 3 carrots but 5 would have been ideal. I didn't measure anything except the rice and stock. The spices were probably ~ 1/2 tsp each. My wife ate the leftovers today and she hates leftovers.

VVVV bummer

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 1, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

wormil posted:

One pot. I used 3 carrots but 5 would have been ideal. I didn't measure anything except the rice and stock. The spices were probably ~ 1/2 tsp each. My wife ate the leftovers today and she hates leftovers.

Mine turned out way bland, but I probably just underseasoned and definitely used the wrong kind of rice. Will give it another go sometime.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

SubG posted:

Use Flavacol instead. That poo poo sticks like turmeric.

Just sprinkle that on while it’s being popped?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I bought some Chinese sausage (Lap Xuong) about three or four weeks ago for fried rice. I haven't gotten around to using it and there's no expire date on the packaging.

I imagine it's fine but I want to make sure. Does anyone know how long think type of sausage will keep in the fridge, unopened? It's in a vacuum packaging.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Pookah posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that if you grind ordinary salt up until it is a superfine dust, it sticks perfectly. Apparently you use a clean electric coffee grinder/smoothie maker/go mad with a mortar and pestle.

Morton's canning & pickling salt salt is super-fine right out of the box. Tastes just like plain ol' table salt, it's just missing the iodine and anti-caking stuff, which makes for cloudy pickle brine, and is ground very finely to help it dissolve. It's not quite dust, but finer than table salt.

Caution: because it is so fine, a little goes a long way. Don't try to sub it in on recipes, and go easy if you're doing the "pour in the palm of your hand then sprinkle it with the other hand" eyeballing technique (learned that latter one the hard way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

me your dad posted:

I bought some Chinese sausage (Lap Xuong) about three or four weeks ago for fried rice. I haven't gotten around to using it and there's no expire date on the packaging.

I imagine it's fine but I want to make sure. Does anyone know how long think type of sausage will keep in the fridge, unopened? It's in a vacuum packaging.

Not sure how long it keeps, but when mine went bad it went WAY BAD and stank like hell.... so, if all else fails, smell test?