Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
eh nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If you spare Whoreson you track him down with Ciri and find him poor and crippled in the gutter being mocked by street kids. Ciri decides to let him live because he's clearly miserable and she wants him to suffer.

Better to just gut him, I think. What he did to those women was gruesome and putting Whoreson down is as close to justice as they'll get.

ok so i made the right choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpcsngVwn8

i take the deadpool option with monsters/psychopaths every time.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 31, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think her point is more likely to be that the mere presence of bare tiddy out is shamelessly marketed towards adolescent teenage boys for whom all female nudity is sexual, as implied by the fact that there was no corresponding full frontal male nudity.

I'm a videogame consumer and I want the dick!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DisDisDis posted:

I'm a videogame consumer and I want the dick!

if there's any setting for destigmatizing bits of body tissue i'd think it's this one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think her point is more likely to be that the mere presence of bare tiddy out is shamelessly marketed towards adolescent teenage boys for whom all female nudity is sexual, as implied by the fact that there was no corresponding full frontal male nudity.

Does the ESRB count male/female nudity differently for classification purposes like the MPAA?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok so i made the right choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpcsngVwn8

i take the deadpool option with monsters/psychopaths every time.

Yeah, killing him is definitely better, considering your doppelganger buddy steps in and actually does something GOOD with that asshat's money

That and he deserves to die.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

“Gotta find Dudu.” “Have you seen Dudu?” “I’m looking for Dudu!”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mauman posted:

Yeah, killing him is definitely better, considering your doppelganger buddy steps in and actually does something GOOD with that asshat's money

That and he deserves to die.

i need to finish witcher 3. i am pretty much done the main quest and about half way through hearts of stone.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This game is finally going to let me live out my dream of playing as Molly Millions. Hopefully I can go find some nerd hacker loser to bang just for fun and then leave him twisting in the wind. :cool:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This game is finally going to let me live out my dream of playing as Molly Millions. Hopefully I can go find some nerd hacker loser to bang just for fun and then leave him twisting in the wind. :cool:

My memory is that Johnny gets killed to death while she's still with him and Case actually gets to settle down with a family.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

for the record i had no issue with it and im not mad about it, im engaging on the topic broadly.

the sexualization of women in distress is a pretty drat common thing though. You see it across media in varying forms, from using rape as a way to make the bad guys bad or to give the heroine a revenge plotline, to dead women's bodies being shown in revealing ways since the audience knows its a living actress and so does the director.

it kind of boils down to it it rarely if even being a male body in a similar situation. Why wasn't it a big dude like jackie in that tub getting harvested? Its a pattern across various types of media. to this woman's point, its not just Cyberpunk she is irritated at, it is that yet again, when a character needed to be shown naked and vulnerable, it was a female body in that role. There is a male body in the tub, but it gets rolled over and out of frame in seconds in favor of a protracted scene featuring a naked woman. This of course then dovetails into why society reacts more strongly to a woman in distress vs a man, gender roles, etc etc etc.

a lot of times when you see someone bitching about this stuff its them being fed up in general, not a specific and targeted critique of the subject at hand. like someone being rude to a black guy might just be them being a rude rear end in a top hat to everyone. but if that black guy got called a slur earlier in his day, he is probably not in the mood to have you explain to him how THIS time it was not racially motivated.

Yeah, this is good. I should have probably thought that hot take through more rather than being reactionary.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Modern day puritans who completely freak out over a bit of video game skin are the funniest things, especially if you remember the type of busybodies pushing censorship and moral standards in the early days of TV broadcasting.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
That take was as valid as this one TBH:

Jack Trades posted:

Wrap it up boys, game's bad.

It's not that there isn't a ton of sexual exploitation for the sakes of attracting attention out there, it's just that 'calling it out' in this genre is almost always doing so in complete ignorance of one of the universes' basic rule - that the human body is no longer a sacred thing, no matter what gender we're talking about. Lemme see if I can dig up a short article I really liked, that explains it a lot better...

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/15/17468232/cyberpunk-2077-nudity-transhumanism

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 1, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
JMac is the platonic ideal of “People who are hurting their own cause by being insufferable and wrong about everything”

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

CrazyLoon posted:

That take was as valid as this one TBH:

It's not that there isn't a ton of sexual exploitation for the sakes of attracting attention out there, it's just that 'calling it out' in this genre is almost always doing so in complete ignorance of one of the universes' basic rule - that the human body is no longer a sacred thing, no matter what gender we're talking about. Lemme see if I can dig up an article I really liked, that explains it a lot better...

genre does not justify how the tropes are portrayed. Ok the human body means nothing in this genre, cool, how do we represent that? guys get to turn their bodies into weapons and look badass. girls get naked and replace their non erotic body parts with metal, attractive femmebot replacements. itd be cool if the genre is being used to excuse female exploitation that it was equally pushed onto male characters, and maybe in the final game it will be more equal opportunity. still when you say genre allows it know that historically that means using genre to cater to male fantasies.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Bust Rodd posted:

JMac is the platonic ideal of “People who are hurting their own cause by being insufferable and wrong about everything”

Producer for Sarkeesian's videos? Yeah, that's another one of those gifts that keeps on giving.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jerkface posted:

genre does not justify how the tropes are portrayed. Ok the human body means nothing in this genre, cool, how do we represent that? guys get to turn their bodies into weapons and look badass. girls get naked and replace their non erotic body parts with metal, attractive femmebot replacements. itd be cool if the genre is being used to excuse female exploitation that it was equally pushed onto male characters, and maybe in the final game it will be more equal opportunity. still when you say genre allows it know that historically that means using genre to cater to male fantasies.

And did you see any of what you list in the demo? I'm still amused beyond belief that post was made over: OMG, just a few seconds of male nudity while so much more of female nudity! while also ignoring that in the very next scene an underwear-covered lady V uses a butt-naked guy for a one-night stand. Yea, big male fantasy there lol.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
On that topic, I'd really like to RP a gay dude V. I don't think Witcher 3 allowed Geralt to swing that way, but I could be wrong - haven't played it to the end yet.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Note that I'm not saying that this is right, but one could see why they're feeling the economic pressure to cater to male fantasies: https://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/ . Seems like at best the female consumers of the game will be projected in the 10-15% range. Not that that they can't make the decision to make a cultural statement here by going against the numbers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CrazyLoon posted:

On that topic, I'd really like to RP a gay dude V. I don't think Witcher 3 allowed Geralt to swing that way, but I could be wrong - haven't played it to the end yet.

There is a way to end up with Dandelion instead of any of the ladies, but it's still platonic.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sadly the only remotely gay thing I can think of geralt doing is double doggin girls with dandelion

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Sadly the only remotely gay thing I can think of geralt doing is double doggin girls with dandelion

Why is that remotely gay? Did their dicks touch?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yes, it’s canon that they did

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

He was even put out the narrator used the word 'female' instead of 'woman' when saying what gender they were going to play V as. What a weird little quibble. Like the game called him on his claim of there just being a male protagonist so he was like 'mmm they couldn't say not a guy right.'

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jerkface posted:

I feel like this post is completely missing that the demo and all the “male-power-fantasy” sequences were happening via a female avatar. Like is the main PC being exploited because we see her get up out of bed in a thong before she proceeds to RIP N TEAR? This absurd notion that women don’t also fantasize about super powers and hacking and running up walls is so weird.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

He was even put out the narrator used the word 'female' instead of 'woman' when saying what gender they were going to play V as. What a weird little quibble. Like the game called him on his claim of there just being a male protagonist so he was like 'mmm they couldn't say not a guy right.'

the dude got probably fired because he started a small shitshow over the announcement of Doom 2016 and then got shredded by other much better progressives when he started getting mad that tracer was lesbian because she was conventionality attractive. he used to be an evangelical, which honestly explains alot, sad thing is he makes a ton of money on patreon because he makes basic progressive points on dumb videos.' it sad that he makes money but other much better cooler critics make much less.

marshmallow creep posted:

There is a way to end up with Dandelion instead of any of the ladies, but it's still platonic.

geralt is probably fully straight but he is pretty cool with other stuff and doesnt judge.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 1, 2018

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the dude got probably fired because he started a small shitshow over the announcement of Doom 2016 and then got shredded by other much better progressives when he started getting mad that tracer was lesbian because she was conventionality attractive. he used to be an evangelical, which honestly explains alot, sad thing is he makes a ton of money on patreon because he makes basic progressive points on dumb videos.'

It would make sense that there would be money in being "the progressive Alex Jones". Not saying that's what the guy is, but if you can make a buck stirring up one side, no reason the formula wouldn't work on the other side.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

It would make sense that there would be money in being "the progressive Alex Jones". Not saying that's what the guy is, but if you can make a buck stirring up one side, no reason the formula wouldn't work on the other side.

nah, he is a true believer unlike Jones. thankfully most of the critic types dislike him. what sucks is he has genuin lefty opinions, though verge on tankie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the dude got probably fired because he started a small shitshow over the announcement of Doom 2016 and then got shredded by other much better progressives when he started getting mad that tracer was lesbian because she was conventionality attractive. he used to be an evangelical, which honestly explains alot, sad thing is he makes a ton of money on patreon because he makes basic progressive points on dumb videos.' it sad that he makes money but other much better cooler critics make much less.

That's also an odd thing to get upset over. Everybody in Overwatch is conventionally attractive on some level save the robots or like Junkrat and Road Hog. (And if that's your taste, go with God.)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

My memory is that Johnny gets killed to death while she's still with him and Case actually gets to settle down with a family.

Case is the nerd hacker loser I was referring to. He's a GREAT nerd hacker loser. I love the guy. But my man can't go five seconds without being a nerd hacker loser and somehow lands the coolest street samurai in all of Chiba City? Pfffffththbhbhth.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, this is good. I should have probably thought that hot take through more rather than being reactionary.

I like people like you. :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

That's also an odd thing to get upset over. Everybody in Overwatch is conventionally attractive on some level save the robots or like Junkrat and Road Hog. (And if that's your taste, go with God.)

idk. he has issues. he got mad because dudes would find it attractive and he wanted something that they wouldnt.

https://www.candb.com/en/artgallery/2338/cyberpunk-2077-fine-art-print-collection.html

also some of the cyberpunk art is for sale.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ my thread

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Jesus christ my thread

Welcome to modern SA where it's a competition to see who can be the most outraged over absolutely nothing.

Game looks fantastic though. Can't wait.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

btw, for you goons familiar with cyberpunk material, are there any nice online reads about the setting?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Whoever said that the dialog system with the ability to look around and choose other options is cool as hell, well, he's right.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dead comedy forums posted:

btw, for you goons familiar with cyberpunk material, are there any nice online reads about the setting?

Google Cyberpunk 2020 and see what comes up. The fansites I used to read back when I would actually run CP2020 campaigns are unlikely to still be online a couple decades later.

Frankly the best way to get a good idea is to grab a copy of the original main rulebook for Cyberpunk 2020. There are lots of (excellent) supplements but you'll get everything you need by soaking up the atmosphere of the main book.

Because Mike Pondsmith is a Cool Dude my recommendation would be to try and buy a copy off his store directly. In paper.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cyberpunk isn't about saving society, it's about saving yourself.

And looking cool doing it.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Cyberpunk isn't about saving society, it's about saving yourself.

And looking cool doing it.

hm, on the other hand, the exact opposite of what you said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde