Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was a little surprised to see Rusty working on this, since "I am done with all your poo poo" is his normal reaction to Guild nonsense, to the point that he isn't even afraid of them any longer, so it was nice to see that "being done with all this poo poo" was the skill that ultimately made him useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Mega spoilers poo poo

So If Rusty is a clone how did he have JJ in him? Like how bad of a dad is Jonas to somehow put a clone in a clone?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think that you know the answer to your question. The Worst.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
That one episode with the bad Dean clone? That’s rusty. JJ was what he meant to make.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Billy is a good boy

and I will not spoiler tag this because we all deserve to know

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That episode is a hell of a lot to chew over

Rustybeing competent and good at something is awesome, DERMOTT!!! Nice moment there with Dean realising just how had Jonas was....

Also really insteresting to see Jonas loving up something like you would have expected an early series Rusty would do re: H.E.L.P.e.R's malfunctioning

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It would be amazing to find out that the only reason we got Rusty over JJ is because Jonas was too cheap to spring for separate clone vats. Also, called it a while back - the reason the original Team Venture treated Rusty like dogshit is because they knew he was expendable/replaceable.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would be amazing to find out that the only reason we got Rusty over JJ is because Jonas was too cheap to spring for separate clone vats. Also, called it a while back - the reason the original Team Venture treated Rusty like dogshit is because they knew he was expendable/replaceable.

I dunno, I feel like the original team venture would have treated Rusty like poo poo even if he wasn't a clone, because they were all drunken jerks.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 31, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
First off, fix that spoiler tag chum ^^^.

Moose-Alini posted:

That one episode with the bad Dean clone? That’s rusty. JJ was what he meant to make.

Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense and wasn't what I figured. The big reveal is also not a surprise, but it's another layer of sadness on the story and makes Doc's approach to his kids a bit sadder to me too, even if ultimately he's still a better dad than J.J.

Really like how they handled it though, just coming at it with a side angle like that, really cool.

Rusty's competence in handling OSI/Guild negotiations made a lot of sense to me since he'd been dealing with the stuff his entire life. He also doesn't have to actually build anything just put a plan together, and you can see how some of his past ideas would work at least a little bit on paper until he actually tried to super-science them and then you end up with Orphan souls and bodies in walls.

Looking forward to the Rusty Venture rule being called out in the middle of an arching too since he absolutely put in a rule named after himself in the new treaty, and I doubt he was self-aware enough to make it something involving kidnapping or endangering kids since it's what he's known for, probably more like some kind of odd but cool situation.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 1, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Uh, chum? How about some spoiler tags yourself?

I don't know exactly what to make out of HELPeR's whole conversation regarding Dean, Rusty, and clones. When he realized he'd maybe said too much and tried to hand-wave it away as a very short dream, and Dean asked if he was referring to the clone issue, the robot's tone when he said, "Oh... you know about that" makes me think that he (HELPeR) is just saying that because he almost let the real cat out of the bag, and Dean accidentally gave him a plausible way to cover up his near mistake.

--------
Moose Alini said:
--------

Messed-up Dean isn't Rusty. (I'm assuming you mean this as a metaphor; obviously the messed up Dean clone isn't actually Rusty.) I don't know if Jonas created Rusty in a test tube, for one thing. I mean, for one thing, he seems to rather enjoy the process of making babies the old-fashioned way, and it's not like he has to scrounge for partners. But if he did apply superscience to his cocksmanship, I'm willing to bet he meant to create twins, and it just didn't work out. Or, he implanted more than one embryo, which is SOP in real life. So if HELPeR was being totally honest, maybe Rusty being a clone is simply because as good as Jonas was at keeping Rusty alive, well, you can only have a half-insane super-soldier wake your kid up by pulling the trigger of a presumably empty pistol pressed against the boy's head so many times before the inevitable happens.

Still, though, to me it sounded like the robot was just covering its tracks, having been given a convenient and plausible way in which to deflect what could have been a much bigger reveal in the conversation. I could be wrong about this, but that's how I interpreted it.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
My new theory is that neither Rusty or the boys have a mother. They are all failed clones of dads

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

My new theory is that neither Rusty or the boys have a mother. They are all clones of dads

If that were true, they'd be 100% like their dads. That's how clones work, both in real life and in this show's universe.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I get ya but why are Rusty and JJ different. Presuming all the info we have is on the up and up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Given that both of them have completely different serious health problems, I wouldn't actually have a problem believing that Rusty and JJ are twins. The circumstances under which they grew up would explain their lack of resemblance.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also really insteresting to see Jonas loving up something like you would have expected an early series Rusty would do re: H.E.L.P.e.R's malfunctioning
Did I misinterpret this? I thought it was the one baby pulled out the eye, then choked on it, then the public went nuts thanks to the lovely tabloids.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In regards to all the cloning stuff, just think of Metal Gear Solid and dominant and recessive genes.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I like Rhys Darby but I wish he would have better range with his voices because all I could hear is him doing Coran.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Ok, I thought about the clone thing a lil more and why I think the Rusty/JJ thing got hosed up; Jonas just didn't care enough to do it the RIGHT WAY.

Whereas Rusty wanted to really, really show up that old son of a bitch so he made sure his kid-clones were PERFECT....ish. The first time anyway? I think?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
If not Failed, then intentionally gene edited to be plausible sons. Rusty talks about how easy gene editing is in the ‘prototype phase’.

I’ve convinced myself. There are no moms.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

If not Failed, then intentionally gene edited to be plausible sons. Rusty talks about how easy gene editing is in the ‘prototype phase’.

I’ve convinced myself. There are no moms.

Good. Now, just explain why Ben, who had no reason at all to lie to Dean and was in the process of revealing things to Dean about his current existence, said that he did indeed have a mommy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

tarlibone posted:

If that were true, they'd be 100% like their dads. That's how clones work, both in real life and in this show's universe.

also

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

tarlibone posted:

Good. Now, just explain why Ben, who had no reason at all to lie to Dean and was in the process of revealing things to Dean about his current existence, said that he did indeed have a mommy.

They are all clones of Jonas, who DID have a mommy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's stupid. I hate that idea.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Liquid Snake is blonde because he spent too much time in the sun in Afghanistan. Solid Snake also dies his hair.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Liquid spent his childhood in Africa though and he was blond even then.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So the Venture Wiki has very little about The Peril Partnership. We've only seen one member of that group so far apparently.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh wow I forgot about that. Anyways great episode. I wonder if Jonas had anything to do with keeping Ben outside of Venture compound. Rusty being a clone makes sense seeing as JJ was the perfect clone of Jonas. Good to see Dermott back and hey a good excuse for him to show up more often cuz he’s OSI. I also agreed that Rusty was great at calling out the Guild and OSI on their bullshit. I can’t wait to see what they do next ep.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i didn’t take it as Rusty is a clone. He’s not. He’s jonas’ biological son and probably half brother or even twin of the monarch.

The revelation is that Dean is a clone of Rusty. So the question is then who is Hank a clone of? Perhaps Hank is Rusty’s actual kid and Dean is just a clone-rusty brother.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Hmm good point tarlibone, added some in. Guess I'm not used to discussing eps in advance and tagging up discussions of general plot.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 1, 2018

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Sometimes it feels like DH/JP read this thread.

^^HELPeR2 called Dean Rusty. It didn't realize that Rusty is an adult now^^

I found it funny that the thread has gone nutto over guild / weapon classes and they explain it in more detail in this ep. Funny timing.

HELPeR2 saying they are the same.. I feel the same as tarlibone. I'm thinking Rusty is also a clone, but that there was more to that reveal that we know just yet. Also, I was kind of hoping for a HELPeR meet up/party. Dean isn't able to understand much of HELPeR :(. I was hoping it was just code that they learned in the beds.

I was figuring the P.P. thing was more than a piss joke. I thought initials but it didn't mean anything to me. Also wondered if it was a strap on w/ his other augmentations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mantis42 posted:

Liquid spent his childhood in Africa though and he was blond even then.

He probably got too much sun there too :colbert:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
On my next date I definitely am gonna lead with "I have a plastic skull with tubes coming out"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

The revelation is that Dean is a clone of Rusty.

He's not. Ben even said before that the boy's were originally conceived like everyone else. Maybe Rusty was too and he was just as death prone.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

how is this show so consistently fire

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

imo that's how a bunch of irresponsible, powerful men would have raised a boy back in the 1960's

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

My take was that Jonas wanted a child clone of himself, but he never quite got the mixture right before he lost interest. Rusty was just the final try, and a huge disappointment for Jonas, but human enough to keep around and force into dangerous situations. And I'm guessing he didn't know about JJ, who got all the brainpower and confidence of the actual Jonas. Which would mean Rusty DID triumph over his father when he managed to create a working cloning system for his own sons.

Oh, and what the hell happened to the Venture Compound??

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Burned down with Vatred and the Triad trying to save it. But the security systems blew up all the fire trucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to guess...

Jonas was trying to clone himself as a bid at immortality. He hosed up and got Rusty (but half succeeded by making JJ.). He wasn't cold enough to terminate him, but he lost interest just like all his toys and let the boys brigade raise him. P.R.O.B.L.E.M. was his fallback plan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not as funny as last week. Good to see Dermott again. Red Helper had a delightful voice.

Also, y'all think we're gonna get another college flashback now with that fraternity namedrop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

IUG posted:

So the Venture Wiki has very little about The Peril Partnership. We've only seen one member of that group so far apparently.

My guess is the Guild's been seen as being week since they had a huge coup, then a vigilante started picking off their villains, etc, so they're making a bid for a takeover of the Guild or at least trying to figure out what the Guild is doing to undermine them in some way, so they can be the top dogs in villainy.

I'm actually pretty excited since they've always hinted at these other villain organizations but nothing's come of it until now.

Consummate Professional posted:

On my next date I definitely am gonna lead with "I have a plastic skull with tubes coming out"

I'm not kidding, I was legit thrilled to see a follow up on those two.