Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
What part of town will you be in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Anyone using Airtable to organize recipes? Whether for personal or dissemination amongst staff? I keep getting targeted ads on twitter and I'm intrigued but I'm not great with those sorts of things and don't want to teach myself something or build a database and then have it not work well for my purposes.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 31, 2018

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I just read up on it because of your post and as the dude in charge of recipes/costing/anything at all that’s easier on a computer because my chef is an 80s punk who will never change and distrusts machines, this sounds like the perfect bridge between excel and sysco’s...thing. I’m gonna play with it this weekend and will totally report back here.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there some kind of mental condition that causes a person to be stupid as gently caress but only every other day? Yesterday the new guy did alright. Today he got dumber and dumber as the night went on, having started very dumb to begin with.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Sounds like weedonthejobitis...if you’re lucky.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Rugikiki posted:

I just read up on it because of your post and as the dude in charge of recipes/costing/anything at all that’s easier on a computer because my chef is an 80s punk who will never change and distrusts machines, this sounds like the perfect bridge between excel and sysco’s...thing. I’m gonna play with it this weekend and will totally report back here.

Cool. I'm on the Beverage side of things so I'm not so worried about costing/audit (also, the rad system I use made one for food - they're a Bay Area company created by a really great bartender and one of his nerd friends from childhood but hot drat it's great. They are so responsive when you have an issue or need a feature... they will literally give you their cell # to text or call and quite a few of the new features have been created in direct response to user feedback. I haven't used the food thing but if it's anything like Bevager, you're set! I believe it's called "foodager" ((terrible names, I agree))) but an archive of recipes + easy way to share without having to design something in Excel would be great. Airtable sounds awesome but is so open ended I'm not really sure what I'm getting myself into.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there some kind of mental condition that causes a person to be stupid as gently caress but only every other day? Yesterday the new guy did alright. Today he got dumber and dumber as the night went on, having started very dumb to begin with.

Drugs.

It's always drugs.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rugikiki posted:

Or lack of it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Rugikiki posted:

Unless someone is high out of their loving mind, you wouldn't notice a difference. Sounds like meth/coke/alcoholism.

e: I need more specifics. How was he dumber? Mistakes? Forgetting? Not understanding? Dude might take meds and forgot them that day. My boss knows my situation and I've asked that he let me know if I'm not performing as usual, because there's a good chance something came up around my noon pill reminder or something to that effect.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 31, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Unless someone is high out of their loving mind, you wouldn't notice a difference. Sounds like meth/coke/alcoholism.

e: I need more specifics. How was he dumber? Mistakes? Forgetting? Not understanding? Dude might take meds and forgot them that day. My boss knows my situation and I've asked that he let me know if I'm not performing as usual, because there's a good chance something came up around my noon pill reminder or something to that effect.

a new smoker will have stark differences too

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Nah if I smoke weed I'm dumb as hell. That's why I never smoke it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yup. Some people function fine, some people for whatever reason seem to lose all higher brain function when smoking up.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What part of town will you be in?

Staying in the embarcadero like a bunch of drat tourists. You on that PM?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

e: I need more specifics. How was he dumber? Mistakes? Forgetting? Not understanding?

Yes to all of this, plus clumsiness, doing everything in slow motion, never retaining anything we teach him, taking half a dozen bathroom breaks even when we're busy (which is fine, that gets him the gently caress out of my way), his uniform is all hosed up, and his mouth hangs open at all times like a moron. I'm shocked the boss doesn't see a problem. Then again, he's been extra busy since our replacement FOH manager left. Come to think of it, we've been losing good staff for months. All our plates are expensive, there's no way he can't pay us better and retain good guys. If he changes his mind and doesn't let me go to this wedding next weekend, I think he'll lose me, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Animal-Mother posted:

Yes to all of this, plus clumsiness, doing everything in slow motion, never retaining anything we teach him, taking half a dozen bathroom breaks even when we're busy (which is fine, that gets him the gently caress out of my way), his uniform is all hosed up, and his mouth hangs open at all times like a moron. I'm shocked the boss doesn't see a problem. Then again, he's been extra busy since our replacement FOH manager left. Come to think of it, we've been losing good staff for months. All our plates are expensive, there's no way he can't pay us better and retain good guys. If he changes his mind and doesn't let me go to this wedding next weekend, I think he'll lose me, too.

That sounds like drugs.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

That sounds like drugs.

Yeah, I'll second that.

My personal pet peeve is: every new hire, I show them how to pound chicken. As chief fry bitch who is going to be dropping approximately 10 lbs of chicken cutlets per hour tomorrow, like every Saturday, I take the quality of the pounded chicken (probably a little too) seriously. When we have a line out the door on a Saturday, I'm the one line is holding on if someone didn't prep that chx right, and I've got 5 minute tix times.

Every new hire, they do their first batch perfect. I praise them, because my management style is much more carrot than stick oriented. Then as the days go on, I dunno if it's lazy complacency, or they pressured because they're learning a new station, or drugs, or what, but the quality will tank. Newest guy, T, pounded out fantastic chx his first 2 days. I'd grab a cambro with his initials on it in the walk-in and say "yessss, gonna be a good day on fry". Now I'm getting poo poo that either's totally phoned-in and under pounded, or pounded into lace. And it's been this way with everyone.

I'm new to having a lead position in a kitchen (though I've been a manager for two other kinds of jobs). Would I seem like a petty tyrant if the next time I pound chicken, I (time/business permitting) made everyone watch and said "THIS is what I expect"?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not at all, show them what you want.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Some people function fine, some people for whatever reason seem to lose all higher brain function when smoking up.

I'm the second. It had been a decade since i had smoked when i moved to CA. I bought some of that legal mellow indica dank. I was a room spinning, couldnt walk , absolute idiot.

So I didn't buy anymore to smoke. I just kept a few grams on hand for party guests.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I tried quite a few edibles in the 4 days I was in SF, ate about 150mg a day. Meh stuff for the most part, but the prices were much better that Denver or Seattle. Not nearly enough people are doing fat infused with herb, it seems like everyone does a alcohol tincture and doses that way, so everything tastes like skunk instead of having hints of lemon, pine, etc

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I tried quite a few edibles in the 4 days I was in SF, ate about 150mg a day. Meh stuff for the most part, but the prices were much better that Denver or Seattle. Not nearly enough people are doing fat infused with herb, it seems like everyone does a alcohol tincture and doses that way, so everything tastes like skunk instead of having hints of lemon, pine, etc

Gonna open a THC raspas joint.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sextro posted:

When I used to work a hotel desk on several occasions I'd check someone out and tell them "Hope to see you again soon" only to get the responses like "I was here for a funeral" or "I came here to start chemo".

I work at a campground local to a Mayo clinic, so I get a fair few people RVing to save on hotel costs while getting chemo / waiting on a transplant. I have been told by management that "Great! Get outta here!" is acceptable upon checkout so long as I say it cheerfully and no one complains.

Fortunate for me, most people die before they can write a bad review.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

I work at a campground local to a Mayo clinic, so I get a fair few people RVing to save on hotel costs while getting chemo / waiting on a transplant. I have been told by management that "Great! Get outta here!" is acceptable upon checkout so long as I say it cheerfully and no one complains.

Fortunate for me, most people die before they can write a bad review.

Owner Yelp response : you're just angry because you're dead.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

waiflike techies would rather eat a skunk's rear end in a top hat than An Calorie. informing them that even neutral spirits are as calorie-rich as butter does not change this.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I'll second that.

My personal pet peeve is: every new hire, I show them how to pound chicken. As chief fry bitch who is going to be dropping approximately 10 lbs of chicken cutlets per hour tomorrow, like every Saturday, I take the quality of the pounded chicken (probably a little too) seriously. When we have a line out the door on a Saturday, I'm the one line is holding on if someone didn't prep that chx right, and I've got 5 minute tix times.

Every new hire, they do their first batch perfect. I praise them, because my management style is much more carrot than stick oriented. Then as the days go on, I dunno if it's lazy complacency, or they pressured because they're learning a new station, or drugs, or what, but the quality will tank. Newest guy, T, pounded out fantastic chx his first 2 days. I'd grab a cambro with his initials on it in the walk-in and say "yessss, gonna be a good day on fry". Now I'm getting poo poo that either's totally phoned-in and under pounded, or pounded into lace. And it's been this way with everyone.

I'm new to having a lead position in a kitchen (though I've been a manager for two other kinds of jobs). Would I seem like a petty tyrant if the next time I pound chicken, I (time/business permitting) made everyone watch and said "THIS is what I expect"?

The phrase is "whipping them into shape" for a reason. You're only a tyrant if you like it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its more like sf peeps who infuse fat do it on their own and won't buy products as easily

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Maybe it's just becuase I grew up here and often get things from friends, but I've never had a problem with dispensaries here? They're very precise in dose, strain, etc. and super inexpensive. I get real stoned from a small edible, but then the other night my dude had one of his security people at work be like "oh yeah, hehe, I ate 120mg earlier tonight." What. The. Hell.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
weed got strong, man. all i can say

peeps who would be smoking mexican ditch weed 5 years ago are smokin shatter nowadays

it's hard to get real health side effects from omnipresent weed smokin but norcal peeps are trying hard

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Literally everyone I grew up with/went to high school with now grows weed, makes wine or makes beer. That's pretty rad, but yeah, I feel like I've had really great weed my whole life and pretty much everyone I know other than my mom uses it on at least occasion. Even then, I have her using a CBD salve on some of her aches.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

This sounds like Benzo or another kind of opiate. Benzo highs are kind of a mixture of drunkeness and a opioid vegetative state. I've run into three of these people in the last few years, though I am in Pennsyltuckey where you can get it as a replacement side for chips or fries. My last job had a girl who would show up, go straight to the bathroom and snort with the water running, then stare out at nothing with her mouth open while moving in an almost comically slow speed. She tended to mix it with energy drinks and sleep deprivation to the point where she was a husk.

Our large college town is currently going into an employment crisis. Years of $8/hr. for kitchen staff when 19 year-old servers pull in $400+ on football nights has resulted in any townie cook quitting enough places that those businesses have used up anything resembling available local full-time staff and now they're going into football season under-staffed with mass walkouts in some cases. Local 100 year institutional restaurants are in crisis mode. The new job I'm being interviewed for pays $10 minimum plus benefits for full-time staff and it feels like I'm hitting the big time.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trebuchet King posted:

years ago i got a metal straw at 7-11 to go with a slurpee. the straw got super cold and it was pretty great. that's my metal straw story.

Wouldn't a metal straw cause a drink to become less cold on travel to your mouth due to being a better conductor of temperature than plastic?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Maybe it's just becuase I grew up here and often get things from friends, but I've never had a problem with dispensaries here? They're very precise in dose, strain, etc. and super inexpensive. I get real stoned from a small edible, but then the other night my dude had one of his security people at work be like "oh yeah, hehe, I ate 120mg earlier tonight." What. The. Hell.

Never had a problem with the dispensaries, in fact, The Green Door was great, and actually managed to get me to buy even more, and had the best selection/knowledge. I think all of the hybrids I tried were just heavier on the Sativa side. Or they're blending THC from many different plants to reach a desired percentage, and that's throwing me off.

I do miss those prices though, an oz of good stuff that I can get 5-6g of THC from runs me $250 here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's Harley Fest!

That means doubles for iospace :suicide:

(ok, only one but I also got OT out of it)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah if I smoke weed I'm dumb as hell. That's why I never smoke it.

:thunk:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

virinvictus posted:

The waste? My days off are worse than when I’m there. A lot of it is wings sauces wrong, or food sitting in the window too long, forcing a remake.

I have no leaders in my kitchen to control when I’m not around. Smokers tend to walk off and ignore FOH management leading to high chit times.

Well, maybe if you pay the staff more you get better staff who generate less waste so it works out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's kinda funny to me that restaurant owners and managers generally understand that quality ingredients for their food and good booze for the bar costs more than lower quality ones, but can't accept the same principle applies to labor.

Treating people like products and then ignoring every rule of supply and demand.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's kinda funny to me that restaurant owners and managers generally understand that quality ingredients for their food and good booze for the bar costs more than lower quality ones, but can't accept the same principle applies to labor.

Treating people like products and then ignoring every rule of supply and demand.

not empty quotin’

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, maybe if you pay the staff more you get better staff who generate less waste so it works out.

I always thought I was lucky at $11 three years ago and now these kids get $14 and my labour requirement didn’t change so I thought these kids were hella lucky about the minimum wage bump in my country. Sucks for me tho.

I mean drat servers are making more $$ per hour without tips than I was only four years ago, cuz their paid wage is $12 plus tips

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My last kitchen gig paid $8.50 an hour.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Skwirl posted:

Ingredients and booze don't live in perpetual fear of being deported or thrown in one of Trump's camps.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, but they rot, guaranteed. even booze goes bad if fast enough

it's been 40 years of wage suppression and most peeps who do wage suppression are now at the point of stepping on their own dicks by wage suppressing. like, chinese wages went up 80% in the 2010-2018 period, because of the active wage suppression going on in the west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

virinvictus posted:

I always thought I was lucky at $11 three years ago and now these kids get $14 and my labour requirement didn’t change so I thought these kids were hella lucky about the minimum wage bump in my country. Sucks for me tho.

I mean drat servers are making more $$ per hour without tips than I was only four years ago, cuz their paid wage is $12 plus tips

Glad I dont work for you.