Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zardoz posted:

I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz. I have lived three hundred years, and I long to die. But death is no longer possible. I eat way too much cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have just broken into a slice of 1000 day aged gouda from TJ's, and it is choice.

Also, I cant read any more wapo articles this month. However, I echo the sentiment.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 1, 2018

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Just use incognito mode on your browser- that'll usually get you past wapos gate. Or do what I did and buy a subscription when it's on sale.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Berzerker posted:

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do with gjetost? I was thinking of grating it over pancakes or something... such a weird food.

Put it on crispbread and top with jam. That's how we've always had it.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Let's say that I was making a sandwich with

1.Banana Peach Ice Cream Bread
2.Shredded Pork Tenderloin, tossed in a little bit of brown BBQ sauce
3.Caramelized Onions

All of which is pretty sweet. What's a good cheese to put on this sandwich to balance out all the sweet?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Probably something intense with medium saltiness to contrast the sweetness and a hard texture to go against the mushiness of the other ingredients. Last time I made something remotely similar I went for a Kristallkäse, that is a especially crunchy Le Gruyère.
If it was sliced meat instead of shredded, I would go for an intense camembert or brie variation. I prefer Le grande rustique here, or Le Delice.

I might also try a Gudbrandsdalsost, or other brown cheese, to go along with the sweetness instead of counteracting it. But it will probably more of a gimmick.

It mostly depends what is sold in your area, cheese is more regional then you think.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

tonberrytoby posted:

Probably something intense with medium saltiness to contrast the sweetness and a hard texture to go against the mushiness of the other ingredients. Last time I made something remotely similar I went for a Kristallkäse, that is a especially crunchy Le Gruyère.
If it was sliced meat instead of shredded, I would go for an intense camembert or brie variation. I prefer Le grande rustique here, or Le Delice.

I might also try a Gudbrandsdalsost, or other brown cheese, to go along with the sweetness instead of counteracting it. But it will probably more of a gimmick.

It mostly depends what is sold in your area, cheese is more regional then you think.

Groovy, I'll look for those. I know that I can get my hands on some nice aged gouda or manchego here in Austin, TX-- would those work, or are they not intense enough?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Doc Walrus posted:

Groovy, I'll look for those. I know that I can get my hands on some nice aged gouda or manchego here in Austin, TX-- would those work, or are they not intense enough?
I would be more concerned with texture then with the intensity of taste. Just try them. Personally I find aged gouda to sour for my taste, but that is a personal thing.
I just thought about it, but a nice refreshing and milder option would be young manchego.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
I just made a new cheese cave. It's a converted wine cooler that I added a hole so I could run power and water to a humidifier and fan. The fan and humidifier are run by a relay with a hygrometer. Tested it out with a tomme and it came out perfect. The wine cooler is ideal for maintaining the perfect temp for aging cheese and it had a built in LED light. With the water supply on the outside, and a window, I never actually have to open the fridge unless I'm turning cheeses or wiping them down. I still need to make some proper wood shelving and secure my cables but I'm really happy with it. Going to use the same setup to make sausage and aged meat.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That is super cool and I am jealous.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I've wanted to make cheese for years now and I finally made some ricotta this week. I was so happy. It's not the most difficult of cheeses, but I finally made something. Also made some sour cream maybe. Turned it all into some delicious blintzes.
I'm going to try to make some more cheeses soon. Hopefully I can get the stuff I need here.
My kitchen is so small. :'(

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

This. Blue cheese works because it is super different, but complimentary. I can't think of any other cheeses that would be worth trying.

I could see goat cheese working with steak. Or feta

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Raclette

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
https://omnomcheese.com/oaxaca-cheese-recipe

I’ve followed this Oaxaca recipe to the letter a few times with edible results, using raw milk and microbial rennet, but I need to make improvements. How would I firstly impart a slightly more lactic flavour to it? It’s super bland to the point of tastelessness, and I’d like a slight tang.

Secondly, working it in hot water is not as easy as it looks in the many videos I’ve seen of the process. It doesn’t naturally string out, I end up having to squeeze it into ropes and elongate it gently by rolling it between my hands, as even a little pressure pulls it apart rather than it being elastic. Do I just need hotter water and thicker gloves? Or just a better recipe?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

https://omnomcheese.com/oaxaca-cheese-recipe

I’ve followed this Oaxaca recipe to the letter a few times with edible results, using raw milk and microbial rennet, but I need to make improvements. How would I firstly impart a slightly more lactic flavour to it? It’s super bland to the point of tastelessness, and I’d like a slight tang.

Secondly, working it in hot water is not as easy as it looks in the many videos I’ve seen of the process. It doesn’t naturally string out, I end up having to squeeze it into ropes and elongate it gently by rolling it between my hands, as even a little pressure pulls it apart rather than it being elastic. Do I just need hotter water and thicker gloves? Or just a better recipe?

Your flavor and stretching problems are both pH-related. The acidification process takes some time, and needs to happen at a warm temp. That recipe tries to cheat by using citric acid, but it's probably not a great substitution to begin with, and not enough of it to do the job anyway. They call out "Leave the curd at room temperature overnight to develop more flavour and further acidify the curd" but it's after the curd draining, so all of the whey is gone, which is the food for the bacteria to make more acid.

The first thing I would try is for the first step, go ahead and bring the curd up to 32c, then add the buttermilk/citric acid, let sit for 30 minutes* to allow the buttermilk cultures to do some work. Then follow the whole thing like normal.

*The 30 minutes is a conservative guess, since I don't know what the culture density and starting acidity of your buttermilk is. If that's not long enough to give you the flavor and texture that you are looking for, add another 15 minutes to the next batch, and then another 15 again if needed. If you hit more than 60 minutes before renetting at 32c and still not getting a good pH drop, there's a problem, don't just keep adding more time.

If a batch gets the curd knitting together well, but not enough flavor, get some medium lipase and add it at the same time as your buttermilk/citric acid. Lipase will continue to add flavor over time even in a completed cheese and at fridge temp.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 17, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Wow, very informative, thank you so much! I’ll report back in a few days after I make another batch.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

First time trying to make cheese. It's a cheddar. Let's hope it's good 6 months from now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hell yeah! That's a good lookin' wheel.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Hell yeah! That's a good lookin' wheel.

Its going to look pretty gross pretty soon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Elmon posted:

Its going to look pretty gross pretty soon.

As it should!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Is there a big book of cheese that people recommend?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

For a solid overview of various cheeses, I see a lot of people recommend the World Cheese Book. I have it, it's pretty good.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
How do you start your own cultures? Surely the cheese makers of olde didnt hop on amazon when they needed mono/thermophillic cultures.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

How do you start your own cultures? Surely the cheese makers of olde didnt hop on amazon when they needed mono/thermophillic cultures.
The dumb answer is that they asked their neighbors to cut of a spoonful of their culture, like hippies still do for kefir, kombucha or cheese.

The original cultures were probably the result of long breeding experiments, but I don't actually know.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
If you've never had Shropshire blue you're missing out. Don't be put off by it smelling like a bus carrying a high-school football team back home; it tastes amazing (especially with some roasted garlic).

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

After 1 month the cheese is starting to look kind of gross. Which I'm pretty sure is a good sign for cloth bound cheddar.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I drew my aunt's name for Secret Santa and I found out that she's interested in trying cheesemaking and specifically asked for a "cheesemaking kit". She's new to it, and so am I. I would think different cheeses require different gear, so: what types of cheeses are easiest for a beginner? What would a good starter kit include? Are there specialty ingredients (mold spores?) that would be useful to track down for her?

We agreed to a $25 upper limit, is it possible to get something worthwhile at that price point (I'm willing to go over, it's not like anybody's checking)? I have access to lots of tools and hardware, are there cheesemaking tools that could be homemade?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I drew my aunt's name for Secret Santa and I found out that she's interested in trying cheesemaking and specifically asked for a "cheesemaking kit". She's new to it, and so am I. I would think different cheeses require different gear, so: what types of cheeses are easiest for a beginner? What would a good starter kit include? Are there specialty ingredients (mold spores?) that would be useful to track down for her?

We agreed to a $25 upper limit, is it possible to get something worthwhile at that price point (I'm willing to go over, it's not like anybody's checking)? I have access to lots of tools and hardware, are there cheesemaking tools that could be homemade?

Phoneposting until I get back home Tuesday, but I’ve been making cheese for a couple of years now.

She’ll want to start with fresh cheeses, since nearly all aged cheeses need a temperature and humidity controlled environment.

Fresh cheeses are freaking delicious though. Goat cheese (chèvre) or a chèvre style cow’s milk cheese is crazy easy and delicious. There are tons of kits available at your local home brew beer store, or on Amazon. If I were at home I would link you some, but just search “goat cheese kit”. It really is as easy as “sanitize a pot, warm up some milk, stir in some powder, leave overnight, strain, salt, enjoy!” It should also come to whey less than $25 including a gallon of good milk.

Finding good goat milk can be hard depending on where you are, so just using good cow’s milk instead but following the exact same directions will turn out something great. It’ll just be a little “cleaner” tasting, and slightly less sour.

A lot of people start with fresh mozzarella, which is simple, but IMO not easy. It’s really hot to work, and the proper rennet to acid window is really narrow. She’s really unlikely to end up with mozzarella that is even close to as good as what you can buy from the grocery store. A chèvre style cheese is very likely to end up as good as anything you can get at a grocery store, usually even better though.

The MOST important thing is to find good milk. You want to find milk that specifically says “low temperature pasteurized “ or similar if you can. If you have a Central Market, or a Whole Foods, or a health-focused grocery store, they’ll have some. Normal pasteurization breaks down a lot of the proteins in the milk and it’s much harder to set a proper curd.

After a few batches to get understanding and sanitization down, if you/she are comfortable with and can find raw milk, that’s even better IMO. It sets easier, and has more flavor. It also supports local small farms instead of whatever big conglomerate.

Edit: If she ends up liking it, there are a ton of things chesemaking-related that can be handmade. There are plans for cheese presses that you can make with $10 worth of wood if you have a few tools and a few hours of labor.

You could make chèvre/butter paddles, custom wood molds, signature stamps, aging racks and boards, etc...

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 30, 2019

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Agreed, chevre is a perfect place to start. Unfortunately(?) it doesn't need much in the way of ingredients or equipment, so it may not make a great gift. It can be tough to find good goat milk, though. People disagree on this, but IMO be wary of raw milk unless you really know what you're doing. Those laws exist for a reason (which we have since forgotten, because of those laws).

For aged cheeses, I wrote about what I would consider the minimum amount of equipment, including plans for a homemade cheese press: https://www.smokingonabike.com/2015/09/27/cheesemaking-in-my-home/

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Had my 2nd Cheese Failure this weekend. It was supposed to be a Colby. I added about 1/4 tsp of saffron threads before coagulation, since I didn't have any annatto for coloring, and I thought maybe it'd add an interesting flavor. After 6-7 weeks, I cracked it open. It was very springy and had a ton of small eyes, which are properties the bacteria I used should not have given to the cheese. Colby is supposed to be a drier cheese, but this had a firm, sticky paste. Thankfully it was not rotten or bad smelling, but it definitely didn't have the flavor Colby ought to, and the saffron gave it kind of a body-odor flavor. Overall an unpleasant texture and unpleasant flavor means I don't want to eat it.

Either it got infected with something during the washing process (I just used tap water from the sink, which has worked before) or possibly from the saffron (not sanitized in any way). Ended up tossing it :( Ah well, you can't win 'em all. Think I might do a Cheshire next.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Does anyone here make mascarpone? I’ve tried a couple of times and gotten very different results and I’d just like to have an idea of what the process looks like if I’m doing it right.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Finally opened up my first cheese that's been aging for a week short of 6 months. Surprisingly it's amazing. I used no dyes, but I guess this was really good grass fed cow milk from this random farm I went to as this cheese was super yellow. This is a cheddar cheese made from unpasteurized milk.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm,

wormil fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 29, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My local Hispanic supermarket has stopped carrying panella.

:cry:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Elmon posted:

Finally opened up my first cheese that's been aging for a week short of 6 months. Surprisingly it's amazing. I used no dyes, but I guess this was really good grass fed cow milk from this random farm I went to as this cheese was super yellow. This is a cheddar cheese made from unpasteurized milk.

Congrats, that looks great! Did you bandage it or just let a rind form? What's your aging environment like?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The prospect of not leaving my house is making me strongly consider a cheese subscription service. I know i'll be paying over the odds but (a) it'll be a roni lockdown treat and (b) it will get me discovering new cheeses. Any UK cheesegoons tried any of the existing places and have any feedback? Thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Does anyone have a good suggestion for cheeses that have a similar salty-spicy flavour of Roquefort, but without that bitter flavour of the green mold? I recently tried it and kind of liked it, but the mold is just very overpowering and I can't quite find a taste for it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Does anyone have a good suggestion for cheeses that have a similar salty-spicy flavour of Roquefort, but without that bitter flavour of the green mold? I recently tried it and kind of liked it, but the mold is just very overpowering and I can't quite find a taste for it.
Epoisses is an intense non-green-moldy soft cheese, tastes amazing.
On the rare ocasion that I feel like some blue/green mold I go for Bavaria Blue, which is pretty mild. Mostly because it is local and cheap around here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VictualSquid posted:

Epoisses is an intense non-green-moldy soft cheese, tastes amazing.
On the rare ocasion that I feel like some blue/green mold I go for Bavaria Blue, which is pretty mild. Mostly because it is local and cheap around here.
Thank you, I'll write those down for the next time I'm at the store, it has a nice and very sizable cheese section. Got any experiences with Stilton? I looked for some alteratives and it looks like it might be very similar while being a bit less intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ColdPie posted:

I think the 2 gallon batch of Gouda is a great beginner aged cheese. It's pretty easy, very forgiving, and can be aged for anywhere from 2-24 months. You can also experiment with adjuncts (spices, herbs, peppers, vegetables...) so it's good to make over and over again as you improve your technique.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, Colby and Cheshire are only a little bit more involved and turn out a sharper, fresher cheese, not far from Cheddar.

I enjoy Gouda, so I'd like to try that recipe... if I try to go cheap and use a homemade mold, how would I estimate the volume I'd need for a 2 gallon batch? Basically, out of 2 gallons of milk, what's the usual volume of curd you get out?