Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thank god for annual mandatory inspections...

The what now?

I mean... we have mandatory inspections in my state. But in most counties, they're only allowed to fail for stuff pertaining to the wipers, horn, seat belts, parking brake, lights, and the windshield could not have any cracks in the driver's immediate view (so nothing when you're staring straight ahead). In emissions counties, they also have to pass an OBD2 check (for 96+ vehicles), or a dyno pull, unless they're 25+ yrs old (by model year).

There used to be a Ford Ranger rolling around my college town. It passed everything fine; it passed smog with no help, and everything above the doors had been cut off. The seat belts were just bolted to the back of the cab - they'll just rip right through if you actually need them, but they were "there". The windshield wasn't there, but the wipers were there. There was a tiny piece of plexi bolted in the corner of the "windshield" for the registration sticker and inspection sticker (before TX combined them).

I wound up running into the owner on another forum and got the story. His roommate rolled it offroading, so he cut off the roof, A and B pillars, windshield, and outer skins on all the panels. He made sure everything he did adhered to the letter of the law, but very much not the intent.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I once failed inspection for a loose control arm ball joint. Not even fully broken, just on its way out. Germany takes this poo poo serious!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Florida has no inspection at all. Think about that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I love the UK's MOT inspection as I have no faith in the average driver's ability or inclination to keep a car safe.

Remember the Top Gear Classic Car Challenge? I looked up Hammond's car and its MOT test (he has it tested at 9.24)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCTWX7Lu6I

quote:

Reason(s) for failure

Nearside Front suspension has excessive play in a upper suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
Nearside Front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) Dangerous
Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) Dangerous
Steering component damaged and unserviceable (2.2.C.1d)
Steering system fouling (2.2.D.2a)
Nearside Steering system lock to lock check exposes a seriously damaged brake hose (2.2.D.2b)
Nearside Steering system lock to lock check stretches a brake pipe (2.2.D.2b)
Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) leaking (2.3.3b)
Braking system leaking (3.6.A.1)
Nearside Headlamp missing (1.7.3)
Offside Headlamp missing (1.7.3)
Nearside Leaf spring shackle bracket corroded and seriously weakened (2.4.B.6d)
Offside Leaf spring shackle bracket corroded and seriously weakened (2.4.B.6d)
Nearside Leaf spring shackle bracket rivet missing (2.4.B.6c)
Offside Leaf spring shackle bracket rivet missing (2.4.B.6c)
Nearside Direction indicators not working (1.4.A.2c)
Horn control missing (1.6.1)
Horn not working (1.6.2a)
Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)
Nearside Front Wheel nut(s) loose (4.2.A.1e)
Offside Front Wheel nut(s) loose (4.2.A.1e)
Nearside Rear Wheel nut(s) loose (4.2.A.1e)
Nearside Rear rear brake binding (3.7.B.1)
Offside Obligatory mirror missing (8.1.1)
Nearside Front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
Offside Front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
Rear Exhaust mounting missing (7.1.1b)
Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
Exhaust emits clearly visible black smoke during acceleration (7.3.A.2c)
Exhaust emits excessive dense blue smoke during acceleration (7.3.A.2c)
Front registration plate insecure (6.3.1b)
Rear registration plate missing (6.3.1a)
Rear Body has a sharp edge caused by damage (6.1.C.1)
Spare wheel insecure (6.4.2)
Drivers door does not latch securely closed (6.2.B.1a)
Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering (6.1.A.1)
Vehicle structure has a fracture which adversely affects braking or steering (6.1.A.1)
Vehicle structure has an inadequate repair which adversely affects braking or steering (6.1.A.1)
Vehicle structure has an inadequate repair, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

If America implemented (with intent to actually enforce) regulations like that there would be absolute mayhem and it would probably lead to some sort of armed uprising.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The cute part is I think people would be happy to have inspections, but only for everyone but themselves. We're all convinced that our poo poo don't stink.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One of those pull through state inspection places tried to fail me for window tint. It's lighter than the pitch black I see everyone else driving with. So I just went to one of those complete car care places and they passed me just fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't see the problem here, non-rolling element plain bearings are just a different type of bearing :colbert:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
As much as I hate dealing with annual safety inspections, they're a good thing. They definitely keep me from driving a deathtrap.... That said, my mercedes hasn't been inspected in 2 years and I haven't been caught so meh. If I do get caught I'll probably just put antique plates on it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
CT has no inspection either. I recently got a Miata registered and they looked at the year old bill of sale and asked me why I waited so long. I said when I bought the car it wasn't safe to drive and had to get it reasonably drive able. Guy looked like he wanted to kiss me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/brHD6HC.gifv

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
:stare:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Those are some incredibly lucky people :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man they don't get that close in the moves when cgi cars fly over heroes.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Where is the course control, you couldn't have picked a more dangerous place?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DJ Commie posted:

They are trying to live the glory days of rallying when you could sit on the side of the road and slap the car as it went by and maybe you'll get absolutely splattered by one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

shortspecialbus posted:

If America implemented (with intent to actually enforce) regulations like that there would be absolute mayhem and it would probably lead to some sort of armed uprising.
Luckily, they probably maintain their firearms to a similar standard.

DJ Commie posted:

Someone took them out three turns back.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hooo-leeeeee poo poo.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

So does this mean you need to do a full inventory of the parts of the tool, or is that level of detail only for engine work?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The woman in the red sweater & white scarf pulled one hell of a ninja move. Amazing how fast & far you can move when the adrenalin hits.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

IPCRESS posted:

So does this mean you need to do a full inventory of the parts of the tool, or is that level of detail only for engine work?

The bit broke in a fastener for an access plate in the interior. Ten years down the road we're gonna see an episode of Destroyed In Seconds about a mechanic neglecting to spend his entire day finding every piece of his broken #2 magnet phillips bit, a small fragment of which the NTSB determined migrated in between the control cables and pulleys, accelerating wear enough to cause loss of control resulting in a single fatality, several hundred pages of legislation, and a kickstarter campaign destined to disrupt the entire maintenance industry

If it were the engine I'd be concerned, but the thing comes out of the factory with loose ty wraps in the fuel tanks and aluminum shavings behind the access panels, by the simple virtue of not throwing sand in the intake I am leaving the thing better off than I found it

The frustration comes from needing to borrow bits until the snapon man comes again to spread the light of his lifetime warranty upon my tools again

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You joke but after watching X Pilot on YouTube for a week that's probably a reasonable scenario.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

If it were the engine I'd be concerned, but the thing comes out of the factory with loose ty wraps in the fuel tanks and aluminum shavings behind the access panels, by the simple virtue of not throwing sand in the intake I am leaving the thing better off than I found it

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Mechanical Failures: by the simple virtue of not throwing sand in the intake I am leaving the thing better off than I found it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Mechanical Failures: by the simple virtue of not throwing sand in the intake I am leaving the thing better off than I found it

Hey guys, please help with my mods gone wrong.....

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

If it were the engine I'd be concerned
Yeah, potential turbine FOD isn't something people have much of a sense of humour about!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, potential turbine FOD isn't something people have much of a sense of humour about!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0&t=23s

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InitialDave posted:

https://youtu.be/4wKPTWXD2Z0

That’s one of those blood chilling noises

Edit: god drat beaten by moments!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
:lol: I knew what it was before I clicked it. It is much less musical when the engine is running.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I worked in turbine maintenance, I'd have that noise set as my phone ringtone.

Krasniy Prospekt
Oct 25, 2006
All of our cowl covers on our jets at work use apex (nazi) bits. Our company buys the cheapest bits they can find, so naturally taking one cowl cover off involves breaking 5 bits because everyone reinstalls them with screwguns instead of by hand, which the company also doesn't care about. At first, I was really worried about FOD, but if they're not going to buy decent bits for us, :shrug: that's their problem.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone that installs panels with a power tool deserves to be drug behind the GPU and beaten to death with an inch-drive torque wrench out of the tire change kit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

WHAT THE gently caress

is this a 37? what are we looking at on this landing gear tire other than it has WTF written on it?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

is this a 37? what are we looking at on this landing gear tire other than it has WTF written on it?

I am a child with a child's sense of humor

I think it was a 319, but it's from one of 6 or 7 airliners at the terminal that all called in for potential lightning strike when the lights dimmed in the terminal

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 2, 2018

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Re: Fog lights

Rear fog lights are not only meant to be used in fog conditions. Over here in Germany they are by law required to be used under conditions with severely impaired visibility at 50m or below. While one of these conditions can be fog (mostly in Forrest areas) a much more common source is water spray on low absorbance tarmac or concrete roads at autobahn speed.

A rear fog ensures a visibility range of over 100m even under the worst visibility conditions usually encountered, which is a necessity since at autobahn speeds, 50m of visibility are in no way or shape adequate for an unexpected emergency braking maneuver.

Re front fogs:

By law it is dictated that fog lights are to be adjusted to a downward angle of 2%

In comparison, low beams are to be adjusted to a downward angle of 1,2 percent. Under usual installation positions (low beam at the top of the front fender, fog at the bottom of the fender) it is impossible that a fog light contacts the higher distance sections of the low beam light cone.

The sighted paper last page was from 1978 where things like multi focal reflectors, DE-lenses and computerized light zone design were sci-fi poo poo. Hell most cars at that time used non Halogen bilux bulbs.

I won't dismiss that crap adjustments of fog lights can blind oncoming traffic and reduce low beam efficiency (although that mechanism seems dubious from a scientific standpoint?) but a modern fog light (and I mean modern like... Post 1989) will illuminate the absolute close quarter zone of in front of the car, where low beams usually don't reach at all or just with minimal light intensity due to light distribution.

In Germany, it is even legal to drive completely without low beam and use fog lights and parking lights under reduced visibility conditions in order to improve the road visibility and reduce particle reflection in the view path.

Of course none of this works whatsoever on a jacked bro truck or crappy adjusted fog lights (some people actually don't know that those can be adjusted)

E: it is also correct that many cars nowadays use the fog lights as cornering lights. The difference to standard fog light operation (and a reason the feature is usually a pay walled upgrade) is that when used as a cornering light, the fog light will not immediately turn off but utilize a ramp down effect in order to avoid a sudden black spot from the driver view.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 2, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What is Germany's stance on a bunch of cheapo LED light bars?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hopefully banned with jail sentences

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

What is Germany's stance on a bunch of cheapo LED light bars?

Illegal.

Anything that is not

-low beam
-high beam
-parking light
-fog light

Is classified as "Zusatzscheinwerfer", which means "additional light" the technical requirements for the light source are the same as for the beams, so any source other than halogen will require an automatic height adjustment system and a cleaning system.

Additionally they fall under specific adjustment requirements just like the fog lights and beams and may not be installed above the height of the main headlights.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Illegal.

Anything that is not

-low beam
-high beam
-parking light
-fog light

Is classified as "Zusatzscheinwerfer", which means "additional light" the technical requirements for the light source are the same as for the beams, so any source other than halogen will require an automatic height adjustment system and a cleaning system.

Additionally they fall under specific adjustment requirements just like the fog lights and beams and may not be installed above the height of the main headlights.

"Zusatzscheinwerfer" sounds like it would make a great lager name for beer in the states.

As for measuring lights, reminds me of the scene in "American Graffiti" where the cop was harassing Milner on how high his head lamps were.

edit: What the gently caress is cleaning system?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 2, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Colostomy Bag posted:

"Zusatzscheinwerfer" sounds like it would make a great lager name for beer in the states.

As for measuring lights, reminds me of the scene in "American Graffiti" where the cop was harassing Milner on how high his head lamps were.

edit: What the gently caress is cleaning system?

It must be why some German cars have headlight sprayers or wipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

shy boy from chess club posted:

It must be why some German cars have headlight sprayers or wipers.

Well that's what I kinda figured. But my god, the pinnacle German engineering makes sure that those dumb things don't work (well maybe they do half-assed.)

For example on mine, every seven times (according to my manual, and I love the precision of detail) when I activate spray on the windshield the little bastards should pop up and spray my headlights.