Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

I need to get better and spraying even coats but it's looking pretty drat good for what I want out of it. I'm still not feeling a full dash removal so I'm gonna tarp and tape off the small section to the left of the wheel and see how that turns out painting it in place.

Best of luck, that just sounds like a recipe for overspray in a million places you don't want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Should be two, one stacked on the other, first in, slide up, second one in rails on bottom of first. Don’t be afraid to flip and turn them, mine in my 2011 only go one way, the rest is a road to madness in a hot, cramped space.

Yeah the second one was in there, I actually saw it in the pic when I looked on a real size computer, lol. I honestly thought my car didn't have these filters, they have gone 12 years without a change and are gross. I hope they're good enough to filter out the smoke we're getting in Seattle (probably not). I forgot to take a picture of how the fuse box is connected, checking the computer for pics now haha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Best of luck, that just sounds like a recipe for overspray in a million places you don't want it.

I'm just not sure if I want to open this can of worms. I'll dive in again on Saturday and assess what I need to do.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Did I miss the post explaining what you're doing, or why?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Friendly reminder: give your Mazda a good wash and wax for summer. Red peels fast without a good protectant!

Also a dumb question: what's a good paint to spruce up drum brakes? I have some high temp matte black for refinishing grills. I might be getting some new wheels next week depending on how negotiating goes..

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The metallic Red on my 05 3 still looks great from a distance after all these years - no fade at all and it's never been properly protected. It does have an absolute shitload of stonechips across the roof though and looks like poo poo close up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MC Hawking posted:

Friendly reminder: give your Mazda a good wash and wax for summer. Red peels fast without a good protectant!

Also a dumb question: what's a good paint to spruce up drum brakes? I have some high temp matte black for refinishing grills. I might be getting some new wheels next week depending on how negotiating goes..

Speaking of, doesn't Mazda have the thinnest paints of all manufacturers? I've heard many detailers lament the Mazda paint.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I really need to wash mine. I don't intend to buy another black car anytime soon since it's such a PITA to keep clean... I hardly bother anymore.

That being said, the paint looks pretty good when washed, but I'm annoyed that the headlights are both starting to fog up or show some age. I guess this is common for all cars with plastic headlight lenses.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Charles posted:

Yeah the second one was in there, I actually saw it in the pic when I looked on a real size computer, lol. I honestly thought my car didn't have these filters, they have gone 12 years without a change and are gross. I hope they're good enough to filter out the smoke we're getting in Seattle (probably not). I forgot to take a picture of how the fuse box is connected, checking the computer for pics now haha.

Use a shop vac to get as much of that loose crap as possible and look/feel around for more. I highly doubt they will be good enough to get particulate stuff that small, and it can get in any number of ways anyway, so. It will still be better though.

My 2011 hatch’s paint is pretty well hosed on the roof, spoiler, and getting there on the hood. Gun metal blue or whatever, fwiw. Haven’t been able to justify 2k to paint it. Luckily dry here most of the time so the rust monster will stay at bay longer than for some of y’all (I hope).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 15, 2018

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of, doesn't Mazda have the thinnest paints of all manufacturers? I've heard many detailers lament the Mazda paint.

I'm not sure, all I'm sayin' is I see a lot of mazdas with really faded or oxidized paint and a wash 'n wax takes an hour or two if you're feeling detail oriented.

I'm sure a clay bar and compounding on really faded paint would take longer. The price of pride of ownership, I guess.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I just hate hand drying my car. There's so much surface area, and lots of crevices. Maybe I should invest in a leaf blower.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MC Hawking posted:

That's what I used to use on my drums before replacing them with disc, never had a problem with the paint degrading from heat. Although to be honest rear drums don't get that hot in normal driving conditions.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I just hate hand drying my car. There's so much surface area, and lots of crevices. Maybe I should invest in a leaf blower.

Makes me miss the ol’ Mister Clean washer, spray with ionized water at the end.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Makes me miss the ol’ Mister Clean washer, spray with ionized water at the end.

This thing was my jam, even with the consumable cost the AutoDry just worked. Made it so easy to do a quick wash.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Ooh I had one of those, but got tired of having to replace the water filter thing.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

MetaJew posted:

On a waxed car, just run the hose without a nozzle over the car when you're done washing. Most of the water will sheet off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't have a problem drying my car, but cleaning the inside of the windshield is insanity. I can go over it a hundred times and still streaks and dirt.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Use a black and white only newspaper with invisible glass and you'll never see another streak on the inside windshield again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are the 2nd gen MS3s known to have the VVT issue? What's it supposed to sound like?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Pretty sure VVT is a gen 1 thing only.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Why is the leather steering wheel of my 14 3igt always so drat sticky in the summer?

No amount of cleaning seems to fix it (and it’s peeling on one side. Related?)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Why is the leather steering wheel of my 14 3igt always so drat sticky in the summer?

No amount of cleaning seems to fix it (and it’s peeling on one side. Related?)

Depends entirely on what you're using to clean it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Larrymer posted:

Depends entirely on what you're using to clean it.

Is 303 the wrong answer? I’ve been slathering it on all the vinyl and pleather, but I think the wheel and shifter are the only actual leather.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I got upset at all of my local Mazda dealer parts departments and ordered a bunch of oil filters online because:

One dealer had me waiting 20 minutes at their counter to buy a filter that was literally on a shelf just behind the register.

The other dealer parts department apparently closed at 4 pm on Saturdays and wouldn't sell me a filter at 4:01. Their service department was open til at least 6pm and I'm sure they would've been happy for me to pay them to change my oil on the spot

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I lucked out and my last order from amazon they sent me a 20k filter instead of the one I ordered.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I'm a fan of the NAPA gold and platinum. Cheap, and surprisingly well made from what I've read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh.

Need to do an oil change.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I forgot I took these pics, is this rust anything I should worry about? On the CV axle itself and the bracket, and maybe a heat-shield, but I don't see anything on the body.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't worry at all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't worry at all.

Nope, none of that stuff was probably ever coated. It's designed to look new until just after it leaves the dealer lot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Brother is offering to sell me his '08.5 MS3 for the cost of a bunch of parts he's currently storing in my garage - about $2k (new clutch/flywheel, HID headlights, suspension, two sets of wheels with seasonal rubber.)

Car has about 100k on the odometer, he's done HPFP internals and tune plus a TIP and aftermarket intake. I've done most/all of the routine maintenence since he got it in 2012 with 60k. Has some rust in the rear wheel wells, body has its share of dings and scratches from being 10 years old.

Thoughts? I'm on the fence - $2k for that much car is tempting but it's going to come with a sizeable pile of work to get it running optimally again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d do it. Worst case you could sell everything for more than the 2k.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Heck of a car for $2k.

What would you plan to use it for? Could be a fun little project. What all does it need? All of the listed parts? :v:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd do it if I had the space for a project especially a project I'm already intimately familiar with.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Larrymer posted:

Heck of a car for $2k.

What would you plan to use it for? Could be a fun little project. What all does it need? All of the listed parts? :v:

I'd probably drive it as a three-season weekend/fun car.

As far as the work it needs - still on the factory clutch, brother says it engages almost at the top of pedal travel so a clutch job is in its near future. Needs the VVT actuator replaced (not making timing chain noise yet but it needs the redesigned actuator at some point), which means a timing chain/tensioner/guide replacement. Intake valves probably need cleaning as well. He dipped the car back in June and held the sprayer too far away during the final coats, which resulted in it coming out fuzzy so that will eventually need to be redone. Front bumper is beat to poo poo so that will need to be replaced, and he just replaced the rear bumper so that will need to be dipped to match in the short term. And we just repaired some major rust on the DS rear wheel well, PS is going to need similar treatment soon.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've pretty much abandoned ever reading the Mazdaspeed Forums. What's the deal with the VVT and did a certain model year get an updated actuator, or is that strictly a replacement part?

I guess I should read up on future engine maintenance since I don't have any reason to replace my '09 anytime soon, and I'm at a little over 80k miles.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The heat this summer is absolutely wreaking havoc on the interior of my 2011 Mazda3. I got the notice last year about the extended warranty on the dash, but it was fine then. Now that it's separating around the info screen the campaign has expired.

Today the top of my shift knob came off in the hand. The plastic clip had just disintegrated. :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MetaJew posted:

I've pretty much abandoned ever reading the Mazdaspeed Forums. What's the deal with the VVT and did a certain model year get an updated actuator, or is that strictly a replacement part?

Apparently there's a locking pin in the actuator that wears or falls out of alignment, stopping the actuator from locking when needed, which in turn accelerates wear on the timing chain.

2007-9 and some 2010s below VIN JM1BL******295247 were affected.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

The heat this summer is absolutely wreaking havoc on the interior of my 2011 Mazda3. I got the notice last year about the extended warranty on the dash, but it was fine then. Now that it's separating around the info screen the campaign has expired.

Today the top of my shift knob came off in the hand. The plastic clip had just disintegrated. :(

The dash thing was a recall, maybe the grace period ended though. I was waiting for the super hot temps to end or I figured it’d be a waste of time (mine busted apart years ago). Got hatch openers on recall too, but haven’t ever had an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
If it makes you feel any better, my dash was fixed under the recall, and it's already separating again from the info display.