Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't Mary Jane also turn out to be a clone made of water or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Doc M posted:

I remember watching the 90s animated series and wondering why this Hydro-Man guy I had never heard of was so prominent in the storylines. I think there was some licensing issue (maybe something to do with the movie project that was in the works in the early 90s) that prevented them from using Sandman on the show, so they used this dude instead and it was really weird.

they also had Carnage on the show but censored him to the point where he didn't cut people up, he "stole their life force." Spider-Man also was not allowed to even throw a single punch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calaveron posted:

It’s stealth sections with notoriously powerless Mary Jane

There are also more stealthy set pieces with spidey too.

DLC Inc posted:

they also had Carnage on the show but censored him to the point where he didn't cut people up, he "stole their life force." Spider-Man also was not allowed to even throw a single punch.

90s censorship was weird. Morbius was also censored too. He only sucked plasma and used fingers. https://ap2hyc.com/2015/09/top-6-ridiculous-censorships-in-the-spider-man-animated-series/

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 3, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

90s censorship was weird. Morbius was also censored too. He only sucked plasma and used fingers.

Which was way grosser! He has these weird leech like mouth things all over his hands. Gah that creeped me out as a kid.

That show gives people weird impressions of Spider-Man if it's their main exposure. I have a friend who assumed Hobgoblin was the first goblin villain and Green Goblin/Norman was only a minor antagonist and that Morbius was a huge part of the Spiderman mythos cause the show had multiple entire arcs based around him.

I especially liked how they gave all the cops, the Punisher and mobsters laser guns because you can't have people firing real guns, then didn't have them hit anyone with them anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

OctoberCountry posted:

Didn't Mary Jane also turn out to be a clone made of water or something?

Hell yeah, man. Peter saw his water elemental waifu turn into gas as he got flooded in, and later on we find out the real one was in some other timedisplaceddimension. Also, at one point he finally got a job in engineering with some national defense, but the company he did it in was Kingpin's son's company that was just a ruse to commit some good ol' mega treachery and sell national secrets to i unno hydra or something maybe, and Kingpin's son pinned it all on Peter and that's why 90's Spider-man's college years all amounted to nothing, happy debt!

One thing that does concern me in the game is the number of suits. All of them having abilities is pretty cool, but tbh I'd rather have a large selection than picking an additional ability. I'm sure that by the end of the year, the game will have a very respectable amount of suits... but I dunno if I'll be playing this all the way to december. And suits in spider-man games are super nice, but i'm not gonna run to pay 25 bucks three months in just to swing around in Kaine's costume.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Waltzing Along posted:

No. The graphics are not the same. There are more puddles. More lighting effects. Just look around and compare and you can see a lot of differences.

they already said they changed the time of day for that scene from the e3 demo to the release, which is why spidermans back looks different and they just changed the puddle layout for design. the lighting effects are exactly the same. there is no downgrade.

glad this isnt out on pc because there would be 1000s of "e3 graphics pack" mods which gently caress up colour grading thinking they are restoring poo poo.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hell yeah, man. Peter saw his water elemental waifu turn into gas as he got flooded in, and later on we find out the real one was in some other timedisplaceddimension. Also, at one point he finally got a job in engineering with some national defense, but the company he did it in was Kingpin's son's company that was just a ruse to commit some good ol' mega treachery and sell national secrets to i unno hydra or something maybe, and Kingpin's son pinned it all on Peter and that's why 90's Spider-man's college years all amounted to nothing, happy debt!

One thing that does concern me in the game is the number of suits. All of them having abilities is pretty cool, but tbh I'd rather have a large selection than picking an additional ability. I'm sure that by the end of the year, the game will have a very respectable amount of suits... but I dunno if I'll be playing this all the way to december. And suits in spider-man games are super nice, but i'm not gonna run to pay 25 bucks three months in just to swing around in Kaine's costume.

So buy it, play it, trade it in or sell it, buy complete edition on sale in a few years when you wanna replay it. I do that for most big releases I like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

90s censorship was weird. Morbius was also censored too. He only sucked plasma and used fingers. https://ap2hyc.com/2015/09/top-6-ridiculous-censorships-in-the-spider-man-animated-series/

They're gonna do something similar in the Jared Leto movie. Instead of sucking blood, he's gonna suck at acting. :rimshot:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Which was way grosser! He has these weird leech like mouth things all over his hands. Gah that creeped me out as a kid.

That show gives people weird impressions of Spider-Man if it's their main exposure. I have a friend who assumed Hobgoblin was the first goblin villain and Green Goblin/Norman was only a minor antagonist and that Morbius was a huge part of the Spiderman mythos cause the show had multiple entire arcs based around him.

I especially liked how they gave all the cops, the Punisher and mobsters laser guns because you can't have people firing real guns, then didn't have them hit anyone with them anyway.

I can understand the gun thing and carnage but lol at some of this poo poo like the word sinister not being allowed.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
shopto are starting to process my pre-order. should arrive by wednesday/thursday. feels good. feels physical. :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

shopto are starting to process my pre-order. should arrive by wednesday/thursday. feels good. feels physical. :)

mine is digital amazon so maybe friday morning.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

embargo drops at like 9am tomorrow so we'll all know if we hosed up by betting on the wrong spiderhorse

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, if I like what I see, I'll probably finally trade in the games I was planning to trade in tomorrow for the money to get it on launch.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Teaser for DLC 1: The Heist. 10/23/2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MTPRu9Pr0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

embargo drops at like 9am tomorrow so we'll all know if we hosed up by betting on the wrong spiderhorse

i think 8s and 9s. it will be the marvel arkham everyone was waiting for but it will have some issues that will be worked out in dlc/or sequel.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Seedge posted:

So buy it, play it, trade it in or sell it, buy complete edition on sale in a few years when you wanna replay it. I do that for most big releases I like.

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that. Forgot how to actually deal with AAA game releases.

Unless the reviews that drop tomorrow reveal that the game was secretly poo all along and we gotta wait another generation for good Spider-man games. Though I ended up enjoying Shattered Dimensions and Amazing 1, so I'll probably give this a go on sale even if it's bad/

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think 8s and 9s. it will be the marvel arkham everyone was waiting for but it will have some issues that will be worked out in dlc/or sequel.
That's what I'm expecting as well. Nothing I've seen from the game really indicates a 10/10 masterpiece, but as long as we get a good Spider-Man game I'll be more than fine with that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, a solid 8/9 is all I'm asking for.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Baggot posted:

kind of a nothing "teaser" and no boob window for black cat....for shame lol

Honestly I don't really care about Black Cat so I hope some other villain/character is part of that episode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just want to be able to kill Gwen Stacey.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm expecting some 8s, couple 9s. Maybe 9.5.

Lots of bias complaints about the swinging from those who simply can't let go of Spider-Man 2, complaints about it being repetitive, complaints about Miles even existing in the game, complaints about it not being EXACTLY like Batman Arkham, complaints about it being EXACTLY like Batman Arkham, complaints about the suit, complaints about the camera, complaints about the symbiote (or lack thereof...haven't seen any spoilers so I don't know).

Complaints that you can't swing around as Peter, complaints that you can't play as Venom....

Basically all of the complaints you've ever heard in a Spider-Man game will be on this one too. Even if it's a 10.

Oh, and probably something about how the story isn't good but the swinging is fun "but not like Spider-Man 2".

Baggot posted:

I'm ok with this but AGAIN the music is nice.

I really hope the soundtrack isn't loving vinyl only. Unfortunately, it seems like it will be.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I played the otherwise incredibly mediocre SM2 game JUST for the webswinging for like 50 hours and I think that this new game looks like absolutely nails the locomotion of Spider-Man even better, especially with the new zipline targeting stuff. It was kind of teased in the last 2 Beenox games but those were pretty slow and very contextual, not at all on-the-fly while doing your thing. poo poo like the swinging immediately transitioning into wallruns/turning building corners is poo poo that the old SM2 could never pull off this smooth. Honestly, the bar for eclipsing SM2 was SO low, and yet the closest we got to a great combat/webslinging experience after that was Web of Shadows, which didn't even really have webs physically get affected by anything (they connected to nothing). It's a Spider-Man game made by people who actually give a gently caress, people with prior non-terrible experience, and to boot it's bankrolled as an exclusive title as Marvel's first focused foray into making dedicated games from their license that don't suck rear end. So I do kind of expect the experience to be at least pretty good.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i hope they bring back the balloon kid quests.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

cams posted:

i hope they bring back the balloon kid quests.

If I can’t spinning pile drive a mugger off of the Empire State Building what’s even the point

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder if this will be in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngORPZj4wwY

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the next video on the playlist was this, History of Combat across all the major 3D releases https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mchOE8_v7U

everything from Web of Shadows to even the first ASM game is actually pretty good and looks fast.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The webs attach to low hanging high density clouds.

Also will there be MAXIMUM CARNAGE !?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Same expectations. Nothing about this game screams 'this is a revolution in superhero games' but it does absolutely look like Marvel finally got its Arkham series with a way less oppressively grim tone.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Calaveron posted:

If I can’t spinning pile drive a mugger off of the Empire State Building what’s even the point

Caros posted:

I think you'll find that Spiderman 2's gimmick was grabbing a purse thief and swinging to the top of the tallest building in the city before doing the spinning pile driver down to ground level.

:dance:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Lots of bias complaints about the swinging from those who simply can't let go of Spider-Man 2, complaints about it being repetitive, complaints about Miles even existing in the game, complaints about it not being EXACTLY like Batman Arkham, complaints about it being EXACTLY like Batman Arkham, complaints about the suit, complaints about the camera, complaints about the symbiote (or lack thereof...haven't seen any spoilers so I don't know).

Complaints that you can't swing around as Peter, complaints that you can't play as Venom....

Basically all of the complaints you've ever heard in a Spider-Man game will be on this one too. Even if it's a 10.

Oh, and probably something about how the story isn't good but the swinging is fun "but not like Spider-Man 2".

I really hope the soundtrack isn't loving vinyl only. Unfortunately, it seems like it will be.

honestly. spider-man 2 wasnt even that great, the gameplay was ok(open world with mini crimes) the best part of the game was the web swinging and the ragdolls and tossing dudes off buildings and watching them bounce when they hit the pavement.

DLC Inc posted:

I played the otherwise incredibly mediocre SM2 game JUST for the webswinging for like 50 hours and I think that this new game looks like absolutely nails the locomotion of Spider-Man even better, especially with the new zipline targeting stuff. It was kind of teased in the last 2 Beenox games but those were pretty slow and very contextual, not at all on-the-fly while doing your thing. poo poo like the swinging immediately transitioning into wallruns/turning building corners is poo poo that the old SM2 could never pull off this smooth. Honestly, the bar for eclipsing SM2 was SO low, and yet the closest we got to a great combat/webslinging experience after that was Web of Shadows, which didn't even really have webs physically get affected by anything (they connected to nothing). It's a Spider-Man game made by people who actually give a gently caress, people with prior non-terrible experience, and to boot it's bankrolled as an exclusive title as Marvel's first focused foray into making dedicated games from their license that don't suck rear end. So I do kind of expect the experience to be at least pretty good.

sony is also a pretty good publisher, they are cool with letting their games cook in the over until they are just ready. i am sure this game will be pretty great. unlike say activision/EA.

ThermoPhysical posted:

apparently its coming out on digital/cd/whatever eventually.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I once had spidey glitch out while spinning pile drive a guy in an indoor area and they got stuck on a bit of geometry so I left them spinning for minutes and my record was something silly like 500 spins

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sony is also a pretty good publisher, they are cool with letting their games cook in the over until they are just ready. i am sure this game will be pretty great. unlike say activision/EA.

yeah, after all they are the publisher who handed Kojima a blank check and said "loving whatever, done when it's done."

Minor note: one of the writers on this game is Dan Slott, who did a lot of material for ASM in the past. More notably was that Slott was the brain behind Superior Spider-Man, so....who knows

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

yeah, after all they are the publisher who handed Kojima a blank check and said "loving whatever, done when it's done."

Minor note: one of the writers on this game is Dan Slott, who did a lot of material for ASM in the past. More notably was that Slott was the brain behind Superior Spider-Man, so....who knows

That's not a great thing to hear.

He has nice ideas but has NO idea how to finish them. Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Verse both ended on huge wet farts. He also wrote Shattered Dimensions and that story just wasn't that good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will be picking up my reserved copy of this game in Friday so I can play a PS4 game on launch day for the first time. Since I can only get it after work, my guess is I will get in about 5 minutes of play on launch day for to the inevitable install and day one patch download delay...

But I am hype for spidey and have 0 plans on the weekend!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hopper posted:

I will be picking up my reserved copy of this game in Friday so I can play a PS4 game on launch day for the first time. Since I can only get it after work, my guess is I will get in about 5 minutes of play on launch day for to the inevitable install and day one patch download delay...

But I am hype for spidey and have 0 plans on the weekend!

I'm getting the PS4 Pro limited Spidey edition so I get to be victim of -

a) Delivery time
b) Set up and install of latest PS4 OS
c) Install and update of Spider-Man.

I expect I'll get 3 minutes of play time this weekend.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Honestly I'm expecting a Spider-Man game with fun gameplay but a poo poo story like everything else Slott has written. For me, gameplay goes a long way in a Spidey game. If the gameplay's good it's still an 8-9 game for me regardless of how crap the story is probably gonna be.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Honestly I'm expecting a Spider-Man game with fun gameplay but a poo poo story like everything else Slott has written. For me, gameplay goes a long way in a Spidey game. If the gameplay's good it's still an 8-9 game for me regardless of how crap the story is probably gonna be.

Slott wrote it? Ugh... Well at least it will be choc-a-bloc with fan service and some really crazy rear end ideas with terrible, rushed execution.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I should clarify, Slott is ONE of the writers. Others include Christos Gage (who did a bunch of Civil War stuff and really great Marvel arcs, as well as material for Law and Order SVU/Netflix Daredevil), and 2 other guys who are in-house Insomniac writers who did stuff for their other games.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

DLC Inc posted:

I should clarify, Slott is ONE of the writers. Others include Christos Gage (who did a bunch of Civil War stuff and really great Marvel arcs, as well as material for Law and Order SVU/Netflix Daredevil), and 2 other guys who are in-house Insomniac writers who did stuff for their other games.

So there's a chance the story might at least wind up being decent, with the other writers balancing out Slott's mediocrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Not going to lie, hearing that Slott is associated in any way with this game (that's not being a "Martin Li / Mister Negative created by Dan Slott in the credits) really kind of killed the hype for me just a bit.

Yes, he's that bad.

Who knows though, maybe it's not like Shattered Dimensions in where he said that Beenox already had major plot points already done and written, he just had to write everything else around it AND make it make sense.

I'm really hoping that these three other (...this is also worrying, really) writers will know how to tame him down. As well as not make the story convoluted and crazy due to FOUR writers on it.

I haven't followed many newer games, is this a thing now a days to have multiple writers on one game?