Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pendent posted:

I got my first riven mod from the event going on right now. To unlock it I need to stay at melee combo multiplier 3 for 30 seconds. I assume I have to cheese this somehow because I have no idea how to do it legitimately. Any tips?

Beefy frame with an unleveled or weak melee weapon on lower level defense or survival would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Pendent posted:

I got my first riven mod from the event going on right now. To unlock it I need to stay at melee combo multiplier 3 for 30 seconds. I assume I have to cheese this somehow because I have no idea how to do it legitimately. Any tips?

The easiest way is generally to run a Capture mission solo, knock down the capture target, and continue to keep hitting him and not capturing him. Each hit on the downed capture target still counts as a hit to the counter. The only catch is that I believe they've put a timer in which you HAVE to capture the downed target.

Alternatively, I run a solo Infested Defense, Akkad on Eris, and gimp my melee weapon so it doesn't do much. If you have any of these mods, you can also extend the melee counter time with Body Count, Drifting Contact, and Gladiator Rush, plus double the counter on slash hits with Relentless Combination.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pendent posted:

Grab a poo poo, unranked melee weapon, go to the hive mission and whack one of the hives forever?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Literally any infested survival will let you open that up real quick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I took a whip, plopped max range and combo duration mods on it and went to do a... ugh, infested salvage mission.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pendent posted:

Get Drifting Contact or Body Count, then just do any infested survival. You should hit 3x combo by the 4 minute mark.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Psycho Landlord posted:

Literally any infested survival will let you open that up real quick

Yep. Piscinas on Saturn is my usual spot for those.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pendent posted:

Maxed Body Count makes this way easier because it'll hold your multiplier for 12 seconds.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wid posted:

That can't be right. Orthos Prime was released outside any of the bundled prime packs so it should never be vaulted. I recalled Cernos Prime was included in Valkyr Prime pack and release, I don't remember the other prime weapon. Venka Prime maybe?

Braton Prime, Burston Prime, Bronco and Akbronco Prime, Fang Prime, Orthos Prime should never be vaulted AFAIK.

Ah, I must have mixed up Cernos and Orthos. Somehow. Thanks for letting me know which ones won't be vaulted though, that helps me out a lot!

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Pendent posted:

On top of the other suggestions, I'd also suggest bringing a staff with Clashing Forest stance. Some stances are easier to build combo on than others, and what I found firsthand is that CF is ridiculously good at building a combo multiplier due to multiple hits baked into the moves. Do some proper combos a few times and you will have a 3x multiplier in almost literally no time at all.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Also use Handspring if you're not using a knockdown immune frame. Getting knocked down wastes precious combo seconds. Don't use frames that kills with powers like Ember since you need those enemies to whack.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

You can cheese the combo rivens on a kuva siphon - those big fat dudes are invulnerable until you hit them with void blast but whacking them still racks up the combo counter.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One final tip, more difficult to do but invaluable in future for this kind of challenge (you'll see it a lot for melee rivs): Get a Naramon lens from a plains bounty (or just buy a greater one with plat), stick it on your best melee weapon (the one you use for sorties), and spend the points on the node that makes your combo counter decrease when the timer runs out (as opposed to disappearing entirely). Then switch your operator school to Naramon and head into a dark sector survival.

It takes longer to set up in terms of getting the lens and points, but when combined with mods like drifting contact, body count and gladiator rush*, it just means if the spawns gently caress up or you get a huge pause where you get lost or knocked down, you don't lose your entire combo and have to start from scratch.

* Gladiator Rush is probably the easiest of these to get, you'll almost certainly pick it up doing plains bounties.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Adding cheese on top of good tips, taking a Nidus or Inaros makes all of that effort even more mindlessly safe because of their easy self healing.

If you have sentinel weapons or pets that can actually kill things you may want to de-equip them for the time.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Thanks all, that was much more detail than I expected and it's all good, useful stuff.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Tsurupettan posted:

i need to see it please post

I really feel as though the moonless skin looks 'best' with this neon highlighter.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I am a evil bad person. I sometimes fail to revive people or pets when they die. I personally would never use a pet except playing with Inaros (so the pet gets 4000 HP).

Maybe the revive input should not show for teammates, only for the owner.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Would it be weird to ask people to drag me through a couple lua challenge rooms? I can't even recognize whether I'm in one much less complete a run.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Arglebargle III posted:

Would it be weird to ask people to drag me through a couple lua challenge rooms? I can't even recognize whether I'm in one much less complete a run.

no, i was helped by kind goon sandweed and a few others with my first lua challenge rooms. :justpost:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The best argument in favour of notifying team mates that your pet is down is to show off the name.

'All hope' is probably my favourite, as in 'all hope has died'

'lil Sebastian' also got a rise out of me, as did someone on reddit who called their Kavat 'The hostage'

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The best argument in favour of notifying team mates that your pet is down is to show off the name.

'lil Sebastian' also got a rise out of me, as did someone on reddit who called their Kavat 'The hostage'

I love this. I would probably use Overwatch names.

My problem is more pets that die every 10 seconds. So I stop rezzing them. But the moment I decide to ignore rednames and pay less atention to red names, is characters and not pets that are bleeding and I fail to notice. Nothing important, but is distracting.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Oh that's evil.

I love it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tei posted:

I am a evil bad person. I sometimes fail to revive people or pets when they die. I personally would never use a pet except playing with Inaros (so the pet gets 4000 HP).

Maybe the revive input should not show for teammates, only for the owner.

My cat winds up with like 1200 health and 2000+ armor or something stupid while playing as Valkyr so I never have any issues with it dying.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
So it turns out that I like Revenant and--

Turns out your squadmates' ships can get stuck on yours :wtc:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Avulsion posted:

Max efficiency, vacuum, and energizing dash should be good enough. Arcane Energize is crazy good on any build, but it's over 2200 plat for a full set these days.

Drifting Contact is actually useful for Khora's Whip, since the combo multiplier boosts her damage and you can quickly build combo by whipping groups of enemies. Being able to keep a 2x or 3x combo multiplier throughout a mission is more useful than an extra elemental. I don't use Drifting Contact because I'd rather have Radiation damage and with my riven I need extra elemental mods to pull it off. If I had a Jaw Sword riven and a ton of Kuva I'd probably use something closer to your build.

Depending on how your riven rolls turn out, you want to maximize the value of (+%Damage_Mod) * (+%Elemental_Damage_Mod).

Primed Pressure Point and Primed Fever Strike are both +165%, so (1.65) * (1.65) = 2.7225
(PPP + Spoiled Strike + Blade of Truth) * (PFS) = (1.65 + 1.0 + 1.0) * (1.65) = (3.65) * (1.65) = 6.0225
(PPP + Blade of Truth) * (PFS + 60/60 Elemental) = (1.65+ 1.0) * (1.65 + 0.60) = (2.65) * (2.25) = 5.9625
(PPP + BoT) * (PFS + 90% Elemental) = (1.65 + 1.0) * (1.65 + 0.9) = (2.65) * (2.55) = 6.7575

Spoiled Strike is inferior to Blade of Truth, so lose that first. Not factoring in the riven, a 90% elemental is clearly superior to Spoiled Strike. A 60/60 elemental is slightly inferior, but boosts status chance which can be useful. Crit mods are good for Whipclaw, leave them in.

thank you for the math! i had no idea how any of that worked. now to start working on my riven and jaw sword :getin:

khora is ridiculously fun and she'll be a good project

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Hobold posted:

New relay is pretty nice. More compact, and things are closer to the front than they were. Except Baro. Looks like his spot got moved to the back.

Also a lot of the folks from Fortuna hanging around. Might get their own room?

Me trying to get the G3 to spawn is literally the worst... that and the Simaris daily task targets he keeps giving me :smith:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Am I right in thinking that if I hold on to any spare rhino and bus prime parts they'll fetch a better price once the unvaulting is over?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tsurupettan posted:

thank you for the math! i had no idea how any of that worked. now to start working on my riven and jaw sword :getin:

khora is ridiculously fun and she'll be a good project

khora is great because you can build her in multiple ways and she covers a lot of bases well if you use all her skills. she's a favorite of mine for doing sorties because some sortie conditions mean very little if giant clumps of enemies are unable to do anything in the slightest. having the cat on passive healing duty counts for a lot in keeping everyone up, too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Not at all. Never be afraid to ask for help in this game. The trick to recognizing a Lua challenge room is to look for blue banners hanging down from the ceiling. Only one room has blue banners that isn't a challenge room, but you'll be able to tell which one is the false room since it's been broken in half. Most of them are soloable, one in particular will require aid from a teammate because it requires lots of standing on buttons simultaneously.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Mainwaring posted:

Am I right in thinking that if I hold on to any spare rhino and bus prime parts they'll fetch a better price once the unvaulting is over?

Current market speculation is that yes it will. Though this is only if Rhino prime wont get unvaulted again. The speculation goes that rhino prime will be gone for a long time after this so its price will keep rising since itll be unavaible for a long time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh my god, Mirage + Lenz is everything I dreamed it would be and then some. :allears:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

And Tyler Too! posted:

Not at all. Never be afraid to ask for help in this game. The trick to recognizing a Lua challenge room is to look for blue banners hanging down from the ceiling. Only one room has blue banners that isn't a challenge room, but you'll be able to tell which one is the false room since it's been broken in half. Most of them are soloable, one in particular will require aid from a teammate because it requires lots of standing on buttons simultaneously.

Well it can be soloed but only really after The War Within. And mucking around trying to make Clem stand on a button.

But yeah. Ask for help. Like most of the star chart bosses are badly designed to fight with being overpowered. Raptor or Phorid frex suck if they have time to actually attack

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Whelp, my Inaros quest has bugged out twice now - I'm on the final chapter (killed a bunch of juggernauts for the vase relic thing), I take it to the tomb and plop it down, then the Tomb Defender spawns. Every time I kill him, the game doesn't register the kill, and he either disappears or sits on the map at 0 HP, not moving.

I've got no idea what triggers this, but I've been using Khora to do the mission. I guess I'll switch to Rhino or something and just take him down with normal weapons instead of abilities, maybe that had something to do with it?

I've still got 2 Smeeta imprints (Fennec Head, Mermaid Tail) up for grabs if anyone needs them. I'm pretty sure I've seen some variation in Kavat size - occasionally one of my teammates will have a kavat that's at least 50% larger than mine (and no, it's not Venari), how on earth does that work?

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My Helminth is named "Tallgeese"

I regret not naming it "Corrosive Projection" or "Corpro." There's always next pet when the Moas arrive for funny name options.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Now I want a three-legged kubrow named Li'l Brudder.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I named my Helminth Dog-Sothoth and it's fun having people stop to laugh at it in missions :3:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:hfive: dog sothoth

How does the Lenz work anyway? It's all weird.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hold button, let go. If you're inside the snowglobe, get out as fast as you can or you're dead.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That's it exactly, yes. It's a cold proc followed by an explosion. It's also a rocket launcher masquerading as a bow, but you probably knew that part already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

:discourse: