Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the actual purpose of the scouts may be to make sure a few people get eaten here and there to keep everyone afraid of the titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's an open question, but I suspect the Reiss King (and those who inherited his will by eating him) believe that peace through fear is actually a desirable state rather than a necessary evil. As opposed to the normal unrest and conflict human societies go through.

They're fascist analogues basically.

This has been a point of contention especially in the manga thread, but it's actually the opposite. Fascism would entail using the power of the titans to constantly strike out of the walls, constant struggle and expansion outwards against all that stand in your path. Which is one of the reasons why the series has been accused of being fascist: setting up a strawman of a counter-imperialist project, designed to be clearly flawed, which any reasonable protagonist would struggle against.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

I think the actual purpose of the scouts may be to make sure a few people get eaten here and there to keep everyone afraid of the titans.

You organize the people who'd be crazy/rebellious enough to fight the titans into a volunteer-only military branch under your control, magnanimously give them all the support they need despite their mission statement running counter to the common-sense policy of the government, and then when they inevitably fail it serves as an example to the rest.

That's a great escape valve for discontent.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Conspiratiorist posted:

You organize the people who'd be crazy/rebellious enough to fight the titans into a volunteer-only military branch under your control, magnanimously give them all the support they need despite their mission statement running counter to the common-sense policy of the government, and then when they inevitably fail it serves as an example to the rest.

That's a great escape valve for discontent.

Yeah. I'm guessing the original Royal family wants humanity like this because it creates a paradise for them and the nobility.

gently caress even knows what's going on outside the walls...

I have the sneaking suspicion that we just got through the series' ~actual~ prologue. :stonk:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I guessed they were family with the reveal at the end of season 2 (same type of glasses, possibly the same build), but this is much more informative. They're definitely closely related.
Well, I read the corresponding chapter of the manga and have another theory based on dialogue that didn't make it in the anime. Can I post in here with spoiler tags?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's an open question, but I suspect the Reiss King (and those who inherited his will by eating him) believe that peace through fear is actually a desirable state rather than a necessary evil. As opposed to the normal unrest and conflict human societies go through.

They're fascist analogues basically.

OK but it isn't just one guy making that call, it's everyone who inherits his memories. Guy's brother desperately wanted to free humanity from the titans, but instantly changed his mind upon obtaining the memories. What did he see that was so convincing? It must've been something more than "everything just works better under fear."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ninjewtsu posted:

OK but it isn't just one guy making that call, it's everyone who inherits his memories. Guy's brother desperately wanted to free humanity from the titans, but instantly changed his mind upon obtaining the memories. What did he see that was so convincing? It must've been something more than "everything just works better under fear."

I mean, look around you: if you had the option to return to this or keep everyone you know and love in complete safety with all of their needs met...

:shrug:
Humans mostly suck.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The important thing is that Historia is now firmly on the side of Team gently caress It Lets Burn It All To The Ground. This will be great! Hopefully she survives the next episode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, look around you: if you had the option to return to this or keep everyone you know and love in complete safety with all of their needs met...

Humans mostly suck.

Tbh I probably would not force society into being ruled by fear and misinformation, no

Catalina
May 20, 2008

gently caress yes, Historia suplexing her dad was the #1 thing I was waiting to see animated this arc! :toot:

Maera Sior posted:

Well, I read the corresponding chapter of the manga and have another theory based on dialogue that didn't make it in the anime. Can I post in here with spoiler tags?

Well, I’m no mod, but as a manga reader, I think it should be fine since you haven’t read ahead. Actually, The anime actually gives away some things earlier than the manga, for instance at this point Ymir’s backstory hadn’t been revealed yet, and it was PAINFUL each chapter not getting information on what the gently caress was going on with her.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ninjewtsu posted:

Tbh I probably would not force society into being ruled by fear and misinformation, no

I'd like to think that I would do the Mr. Fantastic thing and take Eren's path of ~Do Right By Humanity~, but I think we all know that hardly anyone actually has that willpower, otherwise the real world would be a better place.

It should also be noted that, even in the show, willpower meant nothing without stolen, magical superpowers. Mofo would have just been eaten.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Historia also had that similar flash thing that Mikasa had going on when she activated super strength

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Also this episode reveals why the santa titan that ate Eren at the start of the show didn't inherit his power since he didn't chew and so he never got Eren's spinal cord.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Humans mostly suck.

But at the same time, each person who inherited the reiss king failed to explain even to their closest kin why they chose not to act.

It's kind of bizarre, even the worst of the worst human rulers share sensitive info with someone in the family.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like to think that I would do the Mr. Fantastic thing and take Eren's path of ~Do Right By Humanity~, but I think we all know that hardly anyone actually has that willpower, otherwise the real world would be a better place.

It should also be noted that, even in the show, willpower meant nothing without stolen, magical superpowers. Mofo would have just been eaten.

OK but the original king had the willpower to force everyone into the walls. Why did he do that? If it was a case of "his inheritors thought it was pretty crummy but don't want to be the one enacting change" they'd at least tell their brother what the deal was. Seemed more like they all had an absolute conviction in the correctness of the current situation.

Also I dunno man when you can mass alter memories and have the control of endless hordes of giant monsters it probably doesn't take as much willpower to enact sweeping societal change

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Catalina posted:

Well, I’m no mod, but as a manga reader, I think it should be fine since you haven’t read ahead. Actually, The anime actually gives away some things earlier than the manga, for instance at this point Ymir’s backstory hadn’t been revealed yet, and it was PAINFUL each chapter not getting information on what the gently caress was going on with her.
Wait, what? Does that mean you hadn't seen any stuff that happened outside the walls?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Wait, what? Does that mean you hadn't seen any stuff that happened outside the walls?

Yeah the flashback explaining Ymir's backstory hadn't occurred at this point. We'd gotten the info about her being a titan and eating Bert and Reiner's friend, but the how and why of her being a titan and wandering around outside the walls aren't explicitly shown until much later.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Maera Sior posted:

Isayama has said in interviews that he was very dissatisfied with the way this arc was presented (which was like a year and a half of releases I think?) and he was looking forward to doing it justice in the anime so the cutting and reordering of content is on purpose. It's not really appropriate to think of the show mapping directly to any given manga chapter at this point because stuff you think might have been dropped can still come up later if it provides a more coherent narrative.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

Yup. Ymir left with Bert and Reiner, and we were left wondering what the gently caress. IIRC, the convo between Ymir, Bert, and Reiner where she explained her motivations in saving them from death and going with them wasn’t even in the manga in month to month issues, it was added later when the volumes were together in book format. A lot of things just kind of....left the story for a while, and weren’t really addressed. I’m sure that contributed to the malice against this arc.
Some scenes that have been shown earlier in the anime are Ymir’s backstory, Beast Titan’s human appearance, and that vision that looks like it may be a future Eren. The anime is the superior adaption at this part, for sure. Though the pandemonium in the fandom was a lot of fun when Ymir’s backstory was FINALLY loving revealed.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sorry, when did we see Beast Titan's human version? He's another mystery to add to the others.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Sorry, when did we see Beast Titan's human version? He's another mystery to add to the others.
In silhouette in the last shot of the second season.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Well, I'm going to write up my theory and use spoiler tags where necessary. It's based on about 2 sentences from the manga when Reiss is trying to convince Historia to take the serum, and definitely helps some other parts make more sense.

If Grisha and the Beast Titan are related (my theory from the end of season 2), then it's a reasonable assumption that their titan forms might have a resemblance as well. However, while Eren and Grisha are immediate family, and we know that Eren ate Grisha, Eren's titan form doesn't resemble Grisha's at all. Maybe I'm wrong about the relation between Grisha and the Beast Titan, or maybe titan resemblances don't track among family members.

However, there's a line in the manga that makes me wonder about that. Reiss says that he picked out(!) a really powerful titan form for for Historia. If titan forms can be specifically chosen, then there would be some validity to what Reiss said about Freida having an inherently powerful titan form. Grisha and the Beast Titan may have been injected with the same lineage (for lack of a better word), but Eren got a different kind. Annie, Freida, and Eren all have similar forms (lean and muscled, with Annie and Freida keeping their breasts) and so may all have received the specific serum in anticipation of their need to fight.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Eej posted:

Isayama has said in interviews that he was very dissatisfied with the way this arc was presented (which was like a year and a half of releases I think?) and he was looking forward to doing it justice in the anime so the cutting and reordering of content is on purpose. It's not really appropriate to think of the show mapping directly to any given manga chapter at this point because stuff you think might have been dropped can still come up later if it provides a more coherent narrative.

Actually, I believe from this point forward events should be following the manga almost beat by beat, much like S2 did (Ymir's backstory notwithstanding).

The only seemingly dropped bit I can see appearing later is Historia's brief little flashback with Frieda losing it, which should be coming up next episode if it ever does at all.

Maera Sior posted:

If Grisha and the Beast Titan are related (my theory from the end of season 2), then it's a reasonable assumption that their titan forms might have a resemblance as well. However, while Eren and Grisha are immediate family, and we know that Eren ate Grisha, Eren's titan form doesn't resemble Grisha's at all. Maybe I'm wrong about the relation between Grisha and the Beast Titan, or maybe titan resemblances don't track among family members.

Eren's has pointy ears like Grisha's.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 4, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

JahRoo posted:

santa titan
*ahem*

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Actually, I believe from this point forward events should be following the manga almost beat by beat, much like S2 did (Ymir's backstory notwithstanding).

The only seemingly dropped bit I can see appearing later is Historia's brief little flashback with Frieda losing it, which should be coming up next episode if it ever does at all.
Awesome, because I definitely want to discuss that part.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eren's has pointy ears like Grisha's.
Oooh, nice catch. I remember the Beast Titan does as well, there was one very clear shot where he scratched one of them.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I love how the anime portrayed the creepy thousand-yard stare of the first king's will in Frieda's and Uri's eyes.

And I love how Eren's character has developed. From season 1's ":argh: ENTRUST EVERYTHING TO ME DAMMIT" to ":smithicide: I... never needed to happen"

Suplex lovely dads

always be suplexin

Probably my favorite moment in the series?

Maera Sior posted:

Awesome, because I definitely want to discuss that part.
:same:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I wonder what this will do to Eren's motivations. He might be so broken now that he loses his drive to kill titans and instead follows Historia out of guilt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In the manga a chapter ended with Historia taking the vial and getting ready to inject herself with Eren telling her to eat him. And for a month a lot of us were thinking Historia might actually do it and take Eren's place as the main character.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

For some weird reason the only 1080 version of this episode I could nab was also a... 60fps version. Really.... really awkward to watch and kinda just makes the whole show look cheap. In any case, gonna wait for a better release before making the action gifs this show deserves.

Oh yeah having English language rap in this show really hosed with me. I had a solid 5-10 seconds of "what the gently caress" confusion.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 4, 2018

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I really like the Historia song.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just noticed they pronounce Historia similarly to "pizzeria." It's very good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DaveKap posted:

For some weird reason the only 1080 version of this episode I could nab was also a... 60fps version. Really.... really awkward to watch and kinda just makes the whole show look cheap. In any case, gonna wait for a better release before making the action gifs this show deserves.

Oh yeah having English language rap in this show really hosed with me. I had a solid 5-10 seconds of "what the gently caress" confusion.

I forgot about this, but I :lol:'d when it happened!

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Szmitten posted:

It's too bad Reiss' back snapping in time to the beat probably won't be in the official version :allears:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I forgot about this, but I :lol:'d when it happened!

I didn't notice the language or lyrics. Maybe it's less attention grabbing for people who don't have English (or Japanese) as their main language. It just came across as a cool moment, like the song in Ymir's flashback.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Szmitten posted:

It honestly made that moment one of my favorites in the entire series.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
That's not a suplex ):<

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
am I misremembering or are the fake kings eyes very similar to the beast titans? I just remember the shots of the fake king sitting there looking bored and staring reminding me heavily of the beast titan.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

am I misremembering or are the fake kings eyes very similar to the beast titans? I just remember the shots of the fake king sitting there looking bored and staring reminding me heavily of the beast titan.

Maybe, but his human form had blonde hair. I don't dare browse through the hits to check the fake king because I get too many manga images when I search for him. I'm pretty sure he was grey haired though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah if you are determined to stay anime-only the absolute worst thing you can possibly do is google anything related to the series because you will be broadsided by massive spoilers for just about every single character.

This happened a LOT in the first season when people looked up, say, Reiner and Bertholdt. At one point just googling Annie had an image result thumbnail as the top result spoiling every titan shifter known at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Legit just do not google the show at this point. Y’all are in for a wild ride this season and I would really hate for you guys to be spoiled on what happens and any character page will have tons of spoilers related to them.

I am salivating at the idea of it all being animated. The anime version of this arc was really good, even though it skipped quite a few things I thought were cool, like the merchant from season 1 actually being a somewhat decent man and haggling over supplies for the survery corp.