Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I agree he's shat the bed a few times but he's also hit some real home runs, so I'm trusting with another pro like Gage there to say 'hey maybe we should finish this idea before we move on to the next cool thing you want to do' it'll be better.

To go further with the baseball analogy, Slott has hit a couple clutch homers, real memorable moments, but his batting average is under .150. That makes for a crap ball player.

But I don't consider this to kill my hype in any way. Slott's plotting isn't terrible. My problem with him is he uses way too much dialog for the medium. Some comic book authors fill the page with text. (This is how I got turned off when trying to read Walking Dead.) If you're going to do this, you drat well better have something interesting to say. Far too often, that wasn't the case with Slott. I don't see this being a problem with a video game, though. You're never really going to have the opportunity to have too much dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Revol posted:

To go further with the baseball analogy, Slott has hit a couple clutch homers, real memorable moments, but his batting average is under .150. That makes for a crap ball player.

But I don't consider this to kill my hype in any way. Slott's plotting isn't terrible. My problem with him is he uses way too much dialog for the medium. Some comic book authors fill the page with text. (This is how I got turned off when trying to read Walking Dead.) If you're going to do this, you drat well better have something interesting to say. Far too often, that wasn't the case with Slott. I don't see this being a problem with a video game, though. You're never really going to have the opportunity to have too much dialog.

As long as there's less repetitive dialogue barks like in Shattered Dimensions. Spidey (all 4 of him) kept making the same one-liners over and over again.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 4, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Since the cool new thing is to rate the game without playing it or seeing it I will give it an 11 out of 13.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

VolticSurge posted:

As long as there's less repetitive dialogue barks like in Shattered Dimensions. Spidey (all 4 of him) kept making the same one-liners over and over again.

judging from that leaked video posted earlier quips are an unlockable suit upgrade you can turn on and off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waltzing Along posted:

Since the cool new thing is to rate the game without playing it or seeing it I will give it an 11 out of 13.

I'll give it a puddle/5

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I'll give it a puddle/5

uhh that is way too many puddles, this game dserves NO puddles!!1 boycott spiberman!

im not a big spiderman fan but I preordered this all the same cuz I like insomniac and the game looks like it will be quite good based on everything they’ve shown

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 4, 2018

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Revol posted:

The official credits show Gage as the co-writer with contributions by Slott, which was always the best possible set of conditions during Slott's run on the book.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The official credits show Gage as the co-writer with contributions by Slott, which was always the best possible set of conditions during Slott's run on the book.

This is much better, honestly. He's probably there to make sure Mister Negative has the proper personality or something.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Me too, I'm just...really tired of the symbiotes... I guess the spider on the chest is a dragon (not a game spoiler) now thanks to the comics?

I just googled this to see what you meant and now I can't stop laughing

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

OctoberCountry posted:

I just googled this to see what you meant and now I can't stop laughing

I've had a google about and I can't see anything about a dragon.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Luminaflare posted:

Dear god, I found it and it's ridiculous. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/18/venom-finally-looks-chest-symbol/

Not sure why we're spoiling this crap, but I'll keep up the pretenses.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Luminaflare posted:

so recently in the comics Venom grows wings to save himself and spider-man from plummeting to their deaths and it's revealed the symbol on Venom's chest isn't a hosed-up spider but a dragon. it's dumb but kinda cool

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Comfortador posted:

Dear god, I found it and it's ridiculous. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/18/venom-finally-looks-chest-symbol/

CharlestonJew posted:

so recently in the comics Venom grows wings to save himself and spider-man from plummeting to their deaths and it's revealed the symbol on Venom's chest isn't a hosed-up spider but a dragon. it's dumb but kinda cool

Welp. That is definitely the knife edge of dumb and cool I love in comics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Comfortador posted:

To add to this, this particular story/arc has a loving awesome tie-in / throwback to an unrelated amazing story (Aaron’s Thor: God of Thunder).

Comics are good, embrace the silliness.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To add to this, this particular story/arc has a loving awesome tie-in / throwback to an unrelated amazing story (Aaron’s Thor: God of Thunder).

Comics are good, embrace the silliness.

I just hate when they retro-change things that are 40 years old, I'm that guy. Always have been. Just say that the symbiote ate some dragon DNA or some bullshit and be done with it. To say "no... it's ALWAYS been like this!" is stupid. (Granted I haven't read the story so it may be something other than that, but if it's just "Nope, we've always been dragon related " then BOOOOOO

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Comics are loving stupid, awesome

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

goddamn this became a minefield of spoilertext.

30mins to reviews, everybody

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo googling the Venom dragon also brought up this dude. What's his deal?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

OctoberCountry posted:

Holy poo poo googling the Venom dragon also brought up this dude. What's his deal?

that's Lobo

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

They brought back Sheriff Lobo?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that's chappy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DLC Inc posted:

goddamn this became a minefield of spoilertext.

30mins to reviews, everybody

If it helps, the spoilers are all for the comics and not the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1036977204469620736

9.5 from Game Informer.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/sep/04/marvels-spider-man-ps4-games-review-insomniac-sony

3/5 from The Guardian

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/4/17817392/spider-man-marvel-ps4-review

Unscored but positive review from The Verge

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/marvels-spider-man-review-amazing-fantasy/1900-6416975/

9 from Gamespot

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/4/17814774/spider-man-review-ps4-marvel

Unscored but positive review from Polygon

The most common downside cited is the repetitive nature of the side activities. Particular praise has been given to the plot.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 4, 2018

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Got a confession to make, I have been playing this game since the last week of August (review copy) and wrote a spoiler-free review: https://www.geekster.be/games/marvel-spider-man-review-ps4/

Tl;dr: 9/10, I really liked it, wonderful webswinging, fun gadgets, the suits are awesome, story is mostly good but with some problems at the end (fun twists in the beginning though).

Also, it has been really fun seeing everyone speculate and I had to stop myself a couple of times from commenting.

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 4, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Destructoid: 9
Eurogamer: Recommended
Game Informer: 9.5
IGN: 8.7 (lol these loving decimals)
Gamespot: 9

Looking fantastic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
im jonny gamester and I give this an 8.2543 it's VERY important you know this game is .0001 better than Shadow of War which I gave an 8.2542

(cool reviews tho)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so based off of this review (speculation, not for sure spoiler) the 'other character' besides MJ that you get to play as for non-peter parts they're avoiding naming totally has to be miles. the mention of the ending and assumptions of a sequel already makes me curious if this game will be setting up a second game with him as the main protagonist instead of peter

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

im jonny gamester and I give this an 8.2543 it's VERY important you know this game is .0001 better than Shadow of War which I gave an 8.2542

(cool reviews tho)

tbh I def like the reviews by Eurogamer/Kotaku more these days since they don't rely on a dumb number system and go very in-depth about what they liked or disliked. For the most part I think the general consensus so far is "very positive" though. Eurogamer is usually my go-to so that was the one I read first.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'm hoping the (probable) sequel will have co-op spider-mans.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Games and other forms of media aren't just mere entertainment. They can transcend boundaries and push art, and offer an element of escapism. For some that means control in a period of their life when they have none, and as a kid in the middle of a messy divorce, all the wise-cracking Peter Parker had to do was cheer me up: but his creators did more than that.

gently caress, excuse me, I need to go throw up somewhere after seeing this guy literally cum on paper.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not to drag this subject in again but this is the most hilarious end to this poo poo

https://twitter.com/Crazyreyn/status/1036977268063694850

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Don't think many people will be going to Waypoint for reviews since they aren't really known for them but there's some slight spoilers in their review that I would have been happier not knowing personally. They liked the game a lot though as well.

Main issue a lot of people seem to be having are the sidequests/open world stuff and even then it's a minor one. Lot of complaints about climbing towers, collectibles and such. I think game reviewers especially hone in on that stuff because they play every one of these games. Personally I just stop doing that stuff the moment it becomes dull, some games I enjoy the gameplay enough to do them so we'll see how it is with this one (I suspect the traversal will make scouring the city for collectibles a lot more fun than most games).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 4, 2018

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Yeah, try to avoid spoilers, even for the beginning and first hours of the game. Story had problems, but has some nice surprises.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is BONESAW in the game?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I am slightly disappointed that you can't go to Queens or Brooklyn.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one of the side missions I read about involves peter losing his backpack in the garbage, calling the dept of sanitation, learning the backpack is long gone, and suiting up as Spiderman to go find it at the dump, and all of this owns.

I'm also thrilled that Insomniac held back quite a lot of info. I had no idea there were multiple skill trees and even more things to upgrade/unlock.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Retromancer posted:

I am slightly disappointed that you can't go to Queens or Brooklyn.

New York City to 98% of people outside New York City is just Manhattan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Funky Valentine posted:

Is BONESAW in the game?

I'm afraid he was not ready

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pennfalath posted:

Got a confession to make, I have been playing this game since the last week of August (review copy) and wrote a spoiler-free review: https://www.geekster.be/games/marvel-spider-man-review-ps4/

Tl;dr: 9/10, I really liked it, wonderful webswinging, fun gadgets, the suits are awesome, story is mostly good but with some problems at the end (fun twists in the beginning though).

Also, it has been really fun seeing everyone speculate and I had to stop myself a couple of times from commenting.

I tried to read your review but I think your website is broken or something, I just see a bunch of gibberish with pictures of the game in-between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Jim Sterling says in his video that JJJ is hosting a radio show and he's basically Alex Jones :laffo: