Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Xarbala posted:

It took me a while to realize that when brits said "blaggard" the word they were actually saying was "blackguard" and that was how it was actually pronounced.

gunwhale

edit: boatswain!

edit 2: this isn't the thread that needs a dog tax, i need a coffee.

botany fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Xarbala posted:

It took me a while to realize that when brits said "blaggard" the word they were actually saying was "blackguard" and that was how it was actually pronounced.

See also: boatswain, denouement and forecastle. French words in English (mostly nautical or literary terms) are the bane of foreign learners when it comes to pronunciation :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 4, 2018

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Azran posted:

See also: boatswain, denouement and forecastle. French words in English (mostly nautical or literary terms) are the bane of foreign learners when it comes to pronunciation :v:

Denouement is obviously frenchy. But I never would have even thought to look up a pronunciation for forecastle.
Everything has been a lie.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

IMO, don't expand; sack the poo poo out of everything and upgrade Black Crag/Iron Rock first until you can access Big 'Uns, and then replace all your Boyz with Big 'Uns. If you can spare the cash and time, get Rock Lobbas too. Boyz will crumble against a determined Dwarf army, and while Big 'Uns have no shields, they will fare a lot better against Warriors in an extended fight. Rock Lobbas are your true gamechanger against the Dwarfs: an outgunned Dwarf army is one in serious trouble, since they're slow as all hell and all that armor isn't going to do poo poo against huge rocks flying across the sky.

Nah, boyz are fine.
The trick with orcs is to realize they are a combined arms force that at every turn should outmaneuver dwarfs.
I am currently owning all of the badlands and just started getting big uns.
Wolf riders are unappreciated.
Though getting rock lobbers and nasty skulkers quickly is important.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Are wolf riders actually worth it against dwarves? I've found they rack up kills against empire and vampire counts but dwarves are so heavily armored they seem to just bounce off and barely do damage on a charge. Felt like a lot of effort for relatively little gain early on.

I generally prefer rear charges using nasty skulkers, a good rear charge turns them into anti-armor blenders that exist to chew up dwarves.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Don Gato posted:

Are wolf riders actually worth it against dwarves? I've found they rack up kills against empire and vampire counts but dwarves are so heavily armored they seem to just bounce off and barely do damage on a charge. Felt like a lot of effort for relatively little gain early on.

I generally prefer rear charges using nasty skulkers, a good rear charge turns them into anti-armor blenders that exist to chew up dwarves.

Wolf riders are for chasing, not for killing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Don Gato posted:

Bring one or two so that any unit that routs simply doesn't come back.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Is there a good list of race counter picks for multiplayer? I’m getting into it a lot more but I have trouble remembering who I should run with in a given matchup. Hell is there a list of the race strengths and weaknesses anywhere?

For example

Empire-
cons:
mediocre infantry which generally leads to a waffly front line
Fairly weak skirmish cav
Can be overwhelmed somewhat more easily than other races

Pros:
Solid anti large cav and cav in general
Many tools to remove single targets from the game
Great arty and ranged options
Good schools of magic selection
Witch hunters

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XQ3i200ey7ncRg8z9_-3cuiRTgYXMLkC-Jm6nCJ3o9c/edit

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Dwarves still have an insane start. I'm playing a legendary campaign on them and slow walking expansion because a full stack can and will appear just about every turn from every edge of your empire

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Not for killing, but for disturbing quarrelers by constant charging them.
Early game I go for double envelopments with goblins in the middle to catch quarrels and then envelop with boys on the side and skulkers, cavalry in the back.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Richard Bong posted:

Is there a good list of race counter picks for multiplayer? I’m getting into it a lot more but I have trouble remembering who I should run with in a given matchup. Hell is there a list of the race strengths and weaknesses anywhere?

It's not always obvious and depends on preferred playstyle as much as knowledge of the meta. You might beat High Elves 90% of the time as Beastmen, but 10% of them will wreck you every time because they are on a higher skill level. Even a lot of the best players barely keep up with it and just play a couple of factions.

As broad tiers of power:
Tier 0
Dark Elves (relatively weakest matchups are bretonnia and wood elves)

Tier 1
Chaos (weak to dark elves)
High Elves (weak to bretonnia and dark elves), also most popular faction so there's ton of bad HE players

Tier 2
Everyone else

My advice is to play one main faction, and then a couple other factions for individual match ups that you struggle with on your main. So I play High Elves mainly, but I'll usually switch out to Dwarfs if some goes Bretonnia on me.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 5, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Choice and Consequences is great. I tried it after ran out of steam on SFO, and it's pretty great. At first the 30k health on like a swordsman unit was daunting, but it didn't change time/pacing very much since everything can hit harder.

With Empire, handgunners are .. not necessarily better but more spectacular. They have about 24 seconds between volleys, but a single volley can bring a Lord from 100% to 50% or so, or really devastate a line of units. The higher reload time means repositioning handguns is a very good idea, since they can reload on the move. Crossbows are best left alone since they reload fast enough. These two changes alone really revitalized unit distinction in Empire Early/mid-game.

It made the game a bit fresher and more vanilla-esque, for sure.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My favorite thing about Choice and Consequence is, well, returning to one skill point per level after so many games of 3-tier skills. But that skill point usually matters a lot more, and as a corollary, makes experienced units (and +unit rank on recruit) very valuable.

I don't envy the dude eventually having to tackle Heroes and their skill systems, but I'll wish him all the luck in the world when he goes for them.

EDIT: Sweet, 3.0 is out tomorrow. https://www.patreon.com/posts/3-0-release-date-21227939

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 5, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has the mod changed much from a few months ago? I remember him being very open to feedback, is skarsnik playable or are his gobbos still the trashiest trash?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 5, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The goblins got much better as I think he ditched his whole "goblins should never be stronger than orks" and "goblins require 2-3x the number of units to defeat a dwarf army"

I had to tell him that there is a reason unit count exists in the game so one unit of goblins can be competitive against one unit of dwarves but still out number them.

The night goblin line last patch was good, it probably still is.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Excellent thanks!

Mukip posted:

It's not always obvious and depends on preferred playstyle as much as knowledge of the meta. You might beat High Elves 90% of the time as Beastmen, but 10% of them will wreck you every time because they are on a higher skill level. Even a lot of the best players barely keep up with it and just play a couple of factions.

As broad tiers of power:
Tier 0
Dark Elves (relatively weakest matchups are bretonnia and wood elves)

Tier 1
Chaos (weak to dark elves)
High Elves (weak to bretonnia and dark elves), also most popular faction so there's ton of bad HE players

Tier 2
Everyone else

My advice is to play one main faction, and then a couple other factions for individual match ups that you struggle with on your main. So I play High Elves mainly, but I'll usually switch out to Dwarfs if some goes Bretonnia on me.

Thanks.
I’ve been playing a lot of vamps because they are simple. Send in infantry then manage Mortis engine, cav, and lord. Unfortunately everyone knows they have kind of weak anti large other than blood nights and leans into it hard.

So I kind of wanted to branch out a bit and become a bit more versatile and at least understand where I am at a clear disadvantage.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Richard Bong posted:

For example

Empire-
cons:
mediocre infantry which generally leads to a waffly front line
Fairly weak skirmish cav
Can be overwhelmed somewhat more easily than other races

Pros:
Solid anti large cav and cav in general
Many tools to remove single targets from the game
Great arty and ranged options
Good schools of magic selection
Witch hunters

There's kind of... phases I guess to picking MP armies. Like if someone picks vampire counts, maybe I'll pick Dwarfs. The VC player will be like "Okay odds are he'll bring artillery/ranged units. I should bring stuff to encircle him and punch through his lines." So then Dwarf player should be like "Should I take any artillery? If he sees me going Dwarf, he'll assume I am and just try to smash me. He'll probably have cav and monsters for that, too. Maybe I'll dump the artillery and go for..." and on and on, trying to make the obvious decisions but kind of messing with your opponent's expectations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Plan Z posted:

There's kind of... phases I guess to picking MP armies. Like if someone picks vampire counts, maybe I'll pick Dwarfs. The VC player will be like "Okay odds are he'll bring artillery/ranged units. I should bring stuff to encircle him and punch through his lines." So then Dwarf player should be like "Should I take any artillery? If he sees me going Dwarf, he'll assume I am and just try to smash me. He'll probably have cav and monsters for that, too. Maybe I'll dump the artillery and go for..." and on and on, trying to make the obvious decisions but kind of messing with your opponent's expectations.

You can definitely mindgames your opponent and bring an entirely melee dwarf army or something but there are still fundamental faction weaknesses like how Lizardmen, VCs, Chaos, and Norsca will never be able to outshoot Empire, Dwarfs, and Elves, or how the Bretonnian and Tomb Kings frontlines will never really stand up to like Chaos or Orks

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You can definitely mindgames your opponent and bring an entirely melee dwarf army or something but there are still fundamental faction weaknesses like how Lizardmen, VCs, Chaos, and Norsca will never be able to outshoot Empire, Dwarfs, and Elves, or how the Bretonnian and Tomb Kings frontlines will never really stand up to like Chaos or Orks

Yeah agreed. It's not always the case, but sometimes you can pull an upset too and it feels nice. I have a Lizardmen build that has success against Empire, mostly because it has one dinosaur when most of their builds are centered around killing several big dinos. A good Empire player could stomp me, but it's fun to try to fight back against the balance sometimes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

every few months i have to come in here and fume that they still havent made it so you can save "DONT loving WATCH THE AI MOVES" so you have to go through 6 settings every single time you start a game

what a bizzare and stupid decision, CA are weird

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
watching the ai moves is real valuable, like 10x more important than in civ games, like you see ambushes being set. that alone is worth it. ME being slow as gently caress is a different problem that needs badly to be addressed. Less factions, no one really cares about tilea or minor skaven #5 or w/e. Just put in playable factions plus the interesting random armies (college of pyros) and the game is good. there's a 'realism' to the ME campaign map that is totally not needed for warhammer over the top fun.

hell go back to the TW1 map and just put all the races on that, it's cramped and would be chaotic as gently caress.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hentai Jihadist posted:

every few months i have to come in here and fume that they still havent made it so you can save "DONT loving WATCH THE AI MOVES" so you have to go through 6 settings every single time you start a game

what a bizzare and stupid decision, CA are weird

this is my number one complaint honestly

edit:

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

watching the ai moves is real valuable, like 10x more important than in civ games, like you see ambushes being set. that alone is worth it. ME being slow as gently caress is a different problem that needs badly to be addressed. Less factions, no one really cares about tilea or minor skaven #5 or w/e. Just put in playable factions plus the interesting random armies (college of pyros) and the game is good. there's a 'realism' to the ME campaign map that is totally not needed for warhammer over the top fun.

hell go back to the TW1 map and just put all the races on that, it's cramped and would be chaotic as gently caress.

i assume what HJ was talking about was less "don't watch anything" and more "why can we still not save our favorite camera speed settings". i have to turn up everyone's movespeed every game at the start, why are my settings not simply saved. so annoying.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

personally i've never needed to watch AI moves in any of the games but then I don't play on legendary

it should just save my settings game to game though
also save my end turn settings, no i dont care that my raiding lord hasn't moved

its all just little annoyances every time i start a new game

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hentai Jihadist posted:

personally i've never needed to watch AI moves in any of the games but then I don't play on legendary

it should just save my settings game to game though
also save my end turn settings, no i dont care that my raiding lord hasn't moved

its all just little annoyances every time i start a new game

you can customize the notifications. there's a button that expands a menu for stuff like "lord unmovd" etc next to the end turn button

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
C&C 3.0 is now out, if you want to try this thing I've been writing about for the past week or so.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

C&C 3.0 is now out, if you want to try this thing I've been writing about for the past week or so.

It's pretty loving rad honestly, I'm in love with most of these changes so far.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

toasterwarrior posted:

I played C&C back in a very early version, and was disappointed that they removed a lot of Grombrindal's unique skills. Are lords still super homogenous, or did they restore unique skill trees for characters?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How do you get heroic victories. I've crushed full stacks of comparable or even much higher strength with minimal losses and only got decisive victories. And any victory where you suffer heavy losses, no matter how unlikely, seems to default to pyrrhic

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

terrorist ambulance posted:

How do you get heroic victories. I've crushed full stacks of comparable or even much higher strength with minimal losses and only got decisive victories. And any victory where you suffer heavy losses, no matter how unlikely, seems to default to pyrrhic

You need to begin outnumbered and take relatively few losses. I've had a grand total of three of them. 1vs3 Mazdamundi Vs Skaven, 1vs3 Hellebron Vs Skaven and Arkhan's final battle.

Also, I have to say, the Tomb Kings final battles are so much better than that flop at the end of the Vortex campaigns, both options are epic as hell and feel like proper climax to the campaign. New Content Team is way cooler than the main team. The Fall of Man battle for Beastmen was a good proof of concept, the two Wood Elf battles were interesting (though Morghur's gimmick kind of dragged it on in the mini-campaign), Bretonnia had the option of two superfun boss rushes to finish their campaigns and Norsca's final challenger battle is a truly challenging one. I imagine the Dogs of War will have something fun for them as well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also I think it looks at hitpoints lost instead of models so if your large monsters/lords/heroes take the brunt of the damage and leave the rest of your army relatively intact it still counts against you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

terrorist ambulance posted:

Good ratio of damage dealt vs damage suffered, with likely some minimum size of the enemy. So one shotting a near dead Lord with a huge army won't give you one because it would e too easy to game it with lightning strike. If I could make a wild guess:

-Enemy needs to start with equal or greater cumulative HP than you, with some minimum amount in top of this.

-Enemy suffers ~10x the damage as you did. This has nothing to do with actual kills and I'm not sure how crumbling factors into it.

-Lord and Hero battle experience is based on Heroic/Decisive/Close/Pyrrhic victory, so the more Heroic Victory the faster you'll level.

-Most common Heroic victories are siege defense where you completely shut down their siege engines and clog their advances on all the walls. Late game Dwarf vs rebel Greenskin armies is easy to get Heroic victories.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

toasterwarrior posted:

I heard they put more emphasis on trade. How is it? There's many factions where it simply isn't worth bothering because the trade income feels inconsequential, and unless you are getting Troop bonuses attached to the resource it's sometimes not worth the cost to bother.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

botany posted:

you can customize the notifications. there's a button that expands a menu for stuff like "lord unmovd" etc next to the end turn button

He wants them to be saved from game to game. And yes, he should be able to.

Same for AI movement. Besides, the only AI movement you could possibly benefit from is "show enemy" and even that works fine on the fastest setting. I don't need to watch sprites toddle around the map.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Panfilo posted:

-Most common Heroic victories are siege defense where you completely shut down their siege engines and clog their advances on all the walls. Late game Dwarf vs rebel Greenskin armies is easy to get Heroic victories.

This one is how I got the achievement for "5 heroic victories as Bretonnia" in TWW1.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It is neat that Brettonia has incentives for getting Heroic Victories (Blessing of the Lady, Chivalry) though I've personally struggled to get them because Brets feel much more offense oriented and I struggle with micromanaging shock cavalry.

Overall I figure it would be easier with smaller numbers of high HP units, and I'm not completely certain how magic factors into it either via healing/resurrection or damage.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

botany posted:

but they don't save from game to game right?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Easiest way to get heroics is with single lords stacking ward saves / damage resistances and then soloing low tier full stacks (they can also solo higher tier armies depending on composition)

Sword of Khaine (weapon) makes it so much easier too with its 30% ward save, greatly expanding the pool of lords that can do it.
Armor of destiny (armor) gives 10/10 ward/physical
Amulet of preservation (talisman) gives 20 ward.
Lord skill points give varied amounts e.g. Kohlek gets 25% ward, Alarielle gets 22% ward, Fey gets 15% ward and 20% physical (from the army buff)

There's other sources as well (e.g. there's an items that global physical resist aura, stick that on a hero and hide them in a tree corner; Chaos has a banner with ward resist; there's another really rare banner with 6% ward; probably others I'm not aware of)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 7, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Hentai Jihadist posted:

but they don't save from game to game right?

Ofc not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any tips for Choice and Consequence Von Carstein?