Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One of the demands in the 1963 March on Washington where MLK JR gave his "I have a dream" speech was a $2 minimum wage (it was $1.25 at the time). Adjusting for inflation that's $15.24

$8 dollars today is the equivalent of $.98 in 1963, a quarter less than what was legal to pay someone back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minimum wage has failed to keep up with inflation, and the GOP is largely at fault here.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Glad I dont work for you.

To be fair, I’m glad you don’t work for me either.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

virinvictus posted:

To be fair, I’m glad you don’t work for me either.

If you pay peanuts you're only gonna get monkeys.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 3, 2018

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My day off coincides with Labor Day. Oh, we figured out what Dumb Dumb's problem is. He's shotgunning beers out back all night. The sous chef's beers.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

iospace posted:

Minimum wage has failed to keep up with inflation, and the GOP is largely at fault here.

Thanks Obama.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It's kinda funny to me that restaurant owners and managers generally understand that quality ingredients for their food and good booze for the bar costs more than lower quality ones, but can't accept the same principle applies to labor.

Treating people like products and then ignoring every rule of supply and demand.
Most people's business accounting is poo poo. They are trying to make their P&L reports looks better, and you do that by lowering controllable costs (hourly labor) and you assume everything else is fixed (it isn't). The way the standard managerial accounting, at the lower end works, makes lowering labor tantamount. It's clearly bullshit, because you would employ as many people, and for however much money maximized sales with the best pass-through. If they saw the income they were losing by employing the lowest bidder, they'd change their evil ways, but that would require tracking productivity, and how many repeat customers you lose from having off nights, because seriously, we can tell when it's amateur hour.

If you can measure the health of your business by total food cost, and the ROI, then labor should work similarly WRT pass through accounting. Minimizing costs is not the way, despite what some may think. Maximizing your return is, so not buying enough labor when you're getting a good return, is worse than a surplus.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 4, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Animal-Mother posted:

My day off coincides with Labor Day. Oh, we figured out what Dumb Dumb's problem is. He's shotgunning beers out back all night. The sous chef's beers.

A good system

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shrapnig posted:

Thanks Obama.

He did try to raise the salary eligible for overtime, but that got struck down.

Alas

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
So, question for the thread: am I a jerk for liberally salting and/or peppering any employee beverage left sitting somewhere it's not supposed to be?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coasterphreak posted:

So, question for the thread: am I a jerk for liberally salting and/or peppering any employee beverage left sitting somewhere it's not supposed to be?

Yes? How on earth do you think that's okay?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

Yes? How on earth do you think that's okay?

Because apparently it's the only way to get people to understand "use the drink holders on the wall that are specifically for that purpose, I've told you three times this week not to leave your cup above food prep surfaces."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Because apparently it's the only way to get people to understand "use the drink holders on the wall that are specifically for that purpose, I've told you three times this week not to leave your cup above food prep surfaces."

Don't dose your employees drinks in a bout of insane passive aggression.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Back in my day we used seamen

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

Don't dose your employees drinks in a bout of insane passive aggression.

You're probably right, I'll just start sending them home after the second time I have to say something.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Coasterphreak posted:

Never ever do this.

Use vinegar so they can't see it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Field Mousepad posted:

Never ever do this.

Use vinegar so they can't see it.

The correct answer is here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

You're probably right, I'll just start sending them home after the second time I have to say something.

Definitely send people home before you loving poison there drinks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Back in my day we used seamen

Username post combo lmbo

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

You have the authority to send people home and you're spiking peoples drinks? I hope you get fired.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

Salt and pepper are poison?

Don't you think you are getting a little hyperbolic here?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Coasterphreak posted:

gently caress yes you are. If you can't stand the poo poo being out of place, throw it away, don't tamper with people's drinks.

How in the world did you get into a management position without learning that childish poo poo like that is unacceptable?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Worst question to hear as a server: "I GET FREE REFILLS ON SODAS RIGHT?!?"

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Coasterphreak posted:

youre a loving rear end in a top hat lmao i can see why your employees don't like or respect you

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

I'm imagining what customer asks it.

Yes, it's the stereotype.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
why is it so tough for people to set up clear lines of communication? two thirds of the time it's just schoolyard bullshit

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mezzanon posted:

on the flipside i've been to places that don't differentiate between refillable and non-refillable drinks and you only find out the juice you were drinking was $4 a pop when you get the check, so i have the tendency to ask unless the menu is clearly labeled in that regard

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress yes you are. If you can't stand the poo poo being out of place, throw it away, don't tamper with people's drinks.

How in the world did you get into a management position without learning that childish poo poo like that is unacceptable?

For real. It probably takes you more effort to doctor the poo poo up than to just trash it too. People leave drinks all over my workplace all the loving time, but instead of being passive aggressive about it I pitch it or say “hey is this yours?” and they take care of it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Y'all are no fun

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Field Mousepad posted:

Y'all are no fun

Fun is low on the management priorities list unless you're the stoned out of his gourd 19 year old 'shift manager' at a Pizza Hut wondering why his boss always looks stressed to gently caress about labor and food waste costs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Skwirl posted:

While I agree that it's incredibly stupid to salt peoples drinks, I don't think it counts as poison

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

While I agree that it's incredibly stupid to salt peoples drinks, I don't think it counts as poison

It poisons the work environment.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

iospace posted:

I'm imagining what customer asks it.

Yes, it's the stereotype.

congratulations on drinking a gallon of Coke Zero to go with your small pepperoni pizza.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

on the flipside i've been to places that don't differentiate between refillable and non-refillable drinks and you only find out the juice you were drinking was $4 a pop when you get the check, so i have the tendency to ask unless the menu is clearly labeled in that regard

I have never in my life been to a place that gave refills on juice.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Tezcatlipoca posted:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's the same principle as the douchebag who would heat a pan to 500 in the oven and then tell his least favorite dish guy to grab it, to "teach him a lesson." Don't be that guy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pile of brown posted:

It's the same principle as the douchebag who would heat a pan to 500 in the oven and then tell his least favorite dish guy to grab it, to "teach him a lesson." Don't be that guy.

Except one injures a person and one makes your diet Coke taste bad.

As a line cook we used to salt people drinks if they left them lying around because that poo poo was funny.

One bartender left a beer in the walkin and kept coming back to swig from it. So we filled it with tobasco. That poo poo was hilarious.

Granted we were all 16-22 so everything was funny back then.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

I think everyone is jumping a little hard on the jerk move, but having read the initial comment, I think my reaction boils down to this?

1) this sounds like a company policy/health code compliance thing where you are allowed to have your coffee on station but not in a way that threatens the safety of your food prep.
2) employees are trained to and supposed to follow food safety, as well as this extra policy
3) they aint, despite repeated reassurances and speakings-to.
4) it IS a jerk move, but learning is done through repitition
5: Practical jokes have a purpose, as long as they are actually harmless
6) salt is not poison, but it does open the door to other liabilities/funnies. 'oh gee, salt wasn't working, lets put _x_ other dumbass substance in because boss does it
7) better S&T TT in your drink than a write up.
8) I think I'd rather have some seasoning in my drink than the alternative which is 'who threw my drink out and put the empty cup back in the holder?', which is what more liability focused management would do: get rid of the health violation immediately, then follow up with whomever it was to correct your behavior. The latter is just ugh for simple mistakes; the former is something i can laugh about.

Question: Who's more salty? the staff, or their drinks?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Except one injures a person and one makes your diet Coke taste bad.

As a line cook we used to salt people drinks if they left them lying around because that poo poo was funny.

One bartender left a beer in the walkin and kept coming back to swig from it. So we filled it with tobasco. That poo poo was hilarious.

Granted we were all 16-22 so everything was funny back then.

Basically this. Letting a dishwasher grab a 500 degree pan is assault, possibly aggravated assault depending on jurisdiction/severity of injury. Tossing some salt or vinegar into a drink that's been left out is a dick move, sure, but it's a bigger dick move to just send them home every time. One of those reactions is basically a reminder to the employee not to be an idiot over something that's been communicated at least once (and it sounds like multiple times), the other reaction is a quick way to gently caress with someone's income and give them a reason to look for work elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If somebody pours salt in my drink and I spit it allover the floor, I am not going to be the one to clean it up.

Nobody learns anything from somebody randomly putting poo poo in their drink aside from that somebody they work with is an rear end in a top hat.

Tell them "This isn't where this goes. Next time I'm going to have to send you home/write you up." And when they do it again, follow through with it. I don't believe out idioting your idiot subordinates accomplishes anything except having an entire kitchen of idiots.