Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
At best, Doc Ock has managed to block bullets on multiple occasions with his robo-arms, even from different directions simultaneously. At worst, Doc Ock's arms are at least fast enough to catch Spider-man sort of consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Colonel Whitey posted:

I wonder if there’s any classic Spidey heroism in this game, or if it’s just punching the bad men until they fall over. I want to save cats from trees and catch cars falling off bridges and stuff

I'm actually playing now to double-check something, and you might like the research station side missions.

You're doing things like fixing steam pipes in an old building before they can blow.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lobok posted:

Fighting Dr. Octopus is fighting a whirlwind of super-strong tentacles that never tire and getting caught by one means getting crushed and suffocated by all of them.

There's a Spidey comic where Doc Ock pisses off Spider-Man by going too far and gets his rear end whipped by Spider-Man so bad that he nearly shits himself. I mean he just gets royally rocked, Spider-Man gets angry enough to basically bully and terrorize him after he's beaten and puts the fear of God into him. After Ock gets out of prison he swears revenge and basically designs his own Danger Room but it only has one thing: a robot Spider-Man that he designs based on actual SpiderData and fights all fuckin' day until he can kick it's rear end forward and backwards. The big payoff for the issue is when he thinks he's fighting the robot and tangles it up and is about to rip it apart and the robot says "Hey good job Doc, you really got me here, maybe don't rip me apart, ha ha" and Doc Ock is like "you spoke. My Spider-Man robot c-c-can't speak....." and goes into a catatonic state and Spider-Man manages to extract himself.

I always liked that issue. Well, this has been Forgettable 80s Spider-Man Comics with MMJS

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a Spidey comic where Doc Ock pisses off Spider-Man by going too far and gets his rear end whipped by Spider-Man so bad that he nearly shits himself. I mean he just gets royally rocked, Spider-Man gets angry enough to basically bully and terrorize him after he's beaten and puts the fear of God into him. After Ock gets out of prison he swears revenge and basically designs his own Danger Room but it only has one thing: a robot Spider-Man that he designs based on actual SpiderData and fights all fuckin' day until he can kick it's rear end forward and backwards. The big payoff for the issue is when he thinks he's fighting the robot and tangles it up and is about to rip it apart and the robot says "Hey good job Doc, you really got me here, maybe don't rip me apart, ha ha" and Doc Ock is like "you spoke. My Spider-Man robot c-c-can't speak....." and goes into a catatonic state and Spider-Man manages to extract himself.

I always liked that issue. Well, this has been Forgettable 80s Spider-Man Comics with MMJS

isnt he only evil because his brain got hosed up by radiation from his accident. like he was always kind of dickhead but he went nuts when he saw bars on the window or some poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt he only evil because his brain got hosed up by radiation from his accident. like he was always kind of dickhead but he went nuts when he saw bars on the window or some poo poo.

The original version, yeah. You nailed it. He was just A Very Smarty Guy who literally Got Transformed to a criminal by Radiation.

Later they did all kinds of stuff with him. It's comics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i should know better, but much like batman, arnt most of spideys villians darker mirror versions of aspects of spiderman/pete. i mean their are the obvious ones like venom and doc ock, but i am pretty sure electro fits in there to an extent. like he is just some dickhead lineman who gets powers by accident and decided "gently caress it, ill rob banks".

I think it's important to remember when you're trying for a more critical reading that Stan Lee came up with most of the old rogues' gallery during a period of time when he was writing something insane like 12 monthly comics at once, so it's really just whatever cool idea they could come up with in fifteen minutes.

A few of those classic villains got roughly kitbashed by later writers into reflecting some element of Spidey himself, particularly the ongoing theme of science going awry, but just as many don't have that. For example, Scorpion, Electro, and especially Kraven are just punch-clock bad guys who worked out in the long run due to cool outfits or a resonant idea.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like been reading the comics and in the originals he was just fat Goonlord with robo arms. like, SWAT Sniper could splatter his brains in second. hell he isnt even wearing body armor.

A surprisingly high number of heroes/villains can be easily killed by a sniper, bombs or some thugs with assault weapons.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Whoa.

What issue is this?? I gotta read it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God, JJ having a podcast where he rants about Spider-Man is such a brilliant modernization of the character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
J Michael Strazinsky pointed out how a good 80 percent of Pete's villains are also animal themed when he was doing a full animal gods totems mystic storyline

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And also they instinctively hate Peter because he became the spider since who knew better about hunting than someone who had been hunted his entire life while all they could do was mimic their animal because they were bullies their entire lives

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Calaveron posted:

J Michael Strazinsky pointed out how a good 80 percent of Pete's villains are also animal themed when he was doing a full animal gods totems mystic storyline

The totems are bad

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Whoa.

What issue is this?? I gotta read it

I don't remember, I'm sorry. But I should tell you that it's a pretty unmemorable issue outside of what I just summarized. I can't even remember the b-plot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So in spoilers how many of the 'proper' Sinister Six is in here aside from the guys we've seen in the trailer?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

So in spoilers how many of the 'proper' Sinister Six is in here aside from the guys we've seen in the trailer?

Scorpion, Rhino, Vulture, and Electro are foreshadowed rather heavily in the first couple of hours.

The last two are Mr. Negative--

--and this is the spoiler I meant when I said you'd know it from the start of the game if you know anything at all about the comics--

--and Octavius becomes Dr. Octopus over the course of the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Scorpion, Rhino, Vulture, and Electro are foreshadowed rather heavily in the first couple of hours.

--and this is the spoiler I meant when I said you'd know it from the start of the game if you know anything at all about the comics--

The gently caress is Kraven

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The gently caress is Kraven

And Mysterio? :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

And Mysterio? :colbert:

poo poo, Sandman too. I forgot Scorpion wasn’t an original member

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

There's a Spidey comic where Doc Ock pisses off Spider-Man by going too far and gets his rear end whipped by Spider-Man so bad that he nearly shits himself. I mean he just gets royally rocked, Spider-Man gets angry enough to basically bully and terrorize him after he's beaten and puts the fear of God into him.

one of the best moments of Superior Spider-Man is when Ock is in Peter's body and fights off a group of other small-time supervillains. He punches one of them in the face and it completely demolishes this guy's face, like completely tears his jaw off with the power of his blow. Ock is legit shocked because he realizes Peter has been holding back his entire life and he was actually so much stronger than anyone knew.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DLC Inc posted:

one of the best moments of Superior Spider-Man is when Ock is in Peter's body and fights off a group of other small-time supervillains. He punches one of them in the face and it completely demolishes this guy's face, like completely tears his jaw off with the power of his blow. Ock is legit shocked because he realizes Peter has been holding back his entire life and he was actually so much stronger than anyone knew.

Superior had a LOT of trash but yea it also had some gold like Oc realizing that Peter objectively was always the better man in their clashes in many different ways.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I remember that, that was actually Scorpion whose jaw he punched off by complete accident. It was one of the good moments of Ock's run as Spidey. May, Jonah, and someone else was there too and saw him do it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I think it's important to remember when you're trying for a more critical reading that Stan Lee came up with most of the old rogues' gallery during a period of time when he was writing something insane like 12 monthly comics at once, so it's really just whatever cool idea they could come up with in fifteen minutes.

A few of those classic villains got roughly kitbashed by later writers into reflecting some element of Spidey himself, particularly the ongoing theme of science going awry, but just as many don't have that. For example, Scorpion, Electro, and especially Kraven are just punch-clock bad guys who worked out in the long run due to cool outfits or a resonant idea.

Oh i know. its just fun. I am more of batman fan but i am a also a fan of good old Web head. reading the old comics is fun too. just how corny they are ad how stupid as gently caress peter can be( which works because he is a kid but still).

Wanderer posted:

so do you actualy have cool boss fights with villains or does it have arkham asylum og syndrom.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the shocker boss fight looks more entertaining than like 90% of the Batman game bosses. Arkham Asylum had the most dipshit "bosses" because half of them (mutant guy, Joker, Bane) were just the same big brute. Arkham Origins had some legit interesting bosses but that was it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

the shocker boss fight looks more entertaining than like 90% of the Batman game bosses. Arkham Asylum had the most dipshit "bosses" because half of them (mutant guy, Joker, Bane) were just the same big brute. Arkham Origins had some legit interesting bosses but that was it.

my unpopular games opinion is that Arkham Origins is my favorite one

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my unpopular games opinion is that Arkham Origins is my favorite one

its liked it more then knight and asylum. id put city above it and i wish it was less joker centric but that being said i liked how young joker was done.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I want to buy this game and play it Friday morning but I'd really like to know if I can invert my camera on both axis. I know it's a weird request but I would really appreciate a screenshot of the camera options menu or at least a confirmation on more than just Y axis inversion. It's stupidly important to me and maybe .06% of the population.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DLC Inc posted:

the shocker boss fight looks more entertaining than like 90% of the Batman game bosses.

Makes sense with Shocker.

Despite the jokes made about him, Shocker is one of the Spider Man's more troublesome enemies. He defeated Spider Man the first time they fought and tends to put up more of a fight then most of his villains. The number of times he has actually been captured by him in the comic can be counted on two hands.

Like Shocker is hard to hurt because he has a vibration armor around his padded suit. And the concussive blasts he can send out are fast, wide and according to Spidey hurt like hell. Shocker once defeated an incarnation of the sinister six on his own.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Despite the jokes made about him, Shocker is one of the Spider Man's more troublesome enemies. He defeated Spider Man the first time they fought and tends to put up more of a fight then most of his villains. The number of times he has actually been captured by him in the comic can be counted on two hands.

Like Shocker is hard to hurt because he has a vibration armor around his padded suit. And the concussive blasts he can send out are fast, wide and according to Spidey hurt like hell. Shocker once defeated an incarnation of the sinister six on his own.

haha I said something similar to this earlier in the thread but had no idea he once took down an entire Sinister Six. Dude is all business

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Same with the vulture. When a younger guy got ahold of his tech he shat his pants when he learned Toomes found out and was coming after him and Spider-Man had a super hard time taking him down

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spidey has a good advantage over Shocker in that HE'LL CHASE HIM TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAARTH!!!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
One of the biggest crimes at Marvel is the jokification of Spidey's villains.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I also love Shocker 'cuz he's just a dude what does crime

like, he's not out to take over the world, he's not EXACTING HIS REVENGE ON THAT ACCURSED SPIDER-MAN

he just wants to rob banks + make money + get rich quick.

The guy also built wrist-mounted vibrorays or whatever the poo poo in prison, which is not that far from how Iron Man started. Just while Tony had an epiphany and turned his life around and became a hero, Shocker didn't move forward at all and just used what he'd figured out to rob banks harder

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shocker could gently caress up Venom and Carnage really bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

One of the biggest crimes at Marvel is the jokification of Spidey's villains.

i mean isnt that really just venom?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I also love Shocker 'cuz he's just a dude what does crime

like, he's not out to take over the world, he's not EXACTING HIS REVENGE ON THAT ACCURSED SPIDER-MAN

he just wants to rob banks + make money + get rich quick.

The guy also built wrist-mounted vibrorays or whatever the poo poo in prison, which is not that far from how Iron Man started. Just while Tony had an epiphany and turned his life around and became a hero, Shocker didn't move forward at all and just used what he'd figured out to rob banks harder

yeah, i always liked shocker.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SamuraiPaul posted:

I want to buy this game and play it Friday morning but I'd really like to know if I can invert my camera on both axis. I know it's a weird request but I would really appreciate a screenshot of the camera options menu or at least a confirmation on more than just Y axis inversion. It's stupidly important to me and maybe .06% of the population.

Looking at it in-game, I just have the option to invert Up/Down.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I want a game with Kraven as the main villain. Kraven rules.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Wanderer posted:

Looking at it in-game, I just have the option to invert Up/Down.

Thank you so much. Now off to Twitter to beseech insomniac and anyone who will listen to include both kinds of inversion. And hopefully in two months they'll put it in there like Horizon did

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

el oso posted:

I want a game with Kraven as the main villain. Kraven rules.

they sorta tried that with amazing spider-man 2(the game). but that game was loving all over the place with villains and had one of the worst open worlds ever.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know I'm not surprised that the game from the people who made Ratchet and clank has good swinging mechanics, though obviously this is much more important than those small sections in the R&C games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Swinging mechanics? Is this a video game or a blue collar sex party? Folks,