Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like to imagine what the trappings of actual middle class: things like home ownership, multiple children, annual family summer vacation, annual holiday vacation, maybe a single working parent household - would require for a salary

it's pretty funny if you look at stuff like national lampoon's vacation/christmas vacation and figure out how much clark griswold had to be making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

it's pretty funny if you look at stuff like national lampoon's vacation/christmas vacation and figure out how much clark griswold had to be making

also the entire plot point at the end where he gets hosed out of his bonus and flips out, today it seems dumb because lol $250 amazon card, but back then a job like the one he had would often have bonuses tickling 50% or more of their annual salary. that poo poo was huge

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jonny 290 posted:

also the entire plot point at the end where he gets hosed out of his bonus and flips out, today it seems dumb because lol $250 amazon card, but back then a job like the one he had would often have bonuses tickling 50% or more of their annual salary. that poo poo was huge

our bonus is based on how well our business unit does and it’s worth a percentage of your hours worked the previous year.

dudes who pull major OT make loving bank. also their lives are empty.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, I had a corporate gig doing CSR where we got a yearly bonus based on company performance that could creep into the couple thousand dollar range, t'was nice.

most jobs have poo poo all for bonuses though.

also, in 15 years of working wage slave I've had exactly one proper vacation w/ the week off and some travel, yee haw.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The Japanese on average actually work fewer hours and take more vacations than Americans do
Yeah that's how bad America is.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Seriously yes someone in here with some Twitter pull / followers should tag this to Elon, you can be the thing that finally breaks him because you know it will. Make this happen

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BioMe posted:

no poo poo

like are people (even in this thread) giving this nonsense any benefit of doubt?

because we live in hellworld and this guy turning up as a pedo and proving elon musk right is exactly the kind of thing that happens in hellworld

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

he decided to install a pool with that bonus

today you could expect to spend at least $30k to do that. i mean the movie plays it up as a running joke for what they’re gonna spend it on but at least $30k would be the assumption today

lol that’s an insane bonus

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you try to do a wage comparison between now and then, you'd want to normalize for the increased parasitism from the increased economic rents and debt slavery when comparing the wage

comparing simple consumer baskets of milk and steak would probably be very misleading

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hustlin Floh posted:

At a pivotal moment in the trial Elon stands up and open-palm slams a tape into a nearby VCR. It's the British dude porking a suspiciously young Thai girl. As the courtroom erupts into chaos, the camera on the video tape pans over to reveal Elon is also involved in the sex acts. As he is handcuffed and led away, Elon laughs manicially, his revenge complete no matter the cost.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
edit: dammit i should fix that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

comedyblissoption posted:

the increased parasitism from the increased economic rents and debt slavery when comparing the wage

illustrating that’s the point tho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
did Clark have a pension you think? I don’t think they ever referenced it if he did.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

It’s also fun to watch episodes of House with the slowly dawning realization that everyone he cures is probably saddled with at least six figures of medical debt. Like there’s an episode where he orders a bunch of MRIs to stall for time, and the guy probably racks up like $80k in debt as a result if he has lovely health insurance.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

red19fire posted:

It’s also fun to watch episodes of House with the slowly dawning realization that everyone he cures is probably saddled with at least six figures of medical debt. Like there’s an episode where he orders a bunch of MRIs to stall for time, and the guy probably racks up like $80k in debt as a result if he has lovely health insurance.

See also:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

since walter white was a public high school teacher, he also ostensibly had health insurance lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

since walter white was a public high school teacher, he also ostensibly had health insurance lol

It probably had a lifetime cap

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

red19fire posted:

my gf has been watching greys anatomy on netflix and theres a hilarious episode where an intern has to formulate a scheme so their buddy who runs a bar across from the hospital doesnt get bankrupted by medical debt. yeah cool of you to help this one dude because you all liked him, dont spare nary a thought all the other people that get financially destroyed around you every day

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

red19fire posted:

The only way you could include billing and insurance in a medical tv show is if it's a real dark comedy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

lung cancer is one of the cheaper ones since it tends to kill you quick

he was much more concerned about (lack of) survivor benefits for his wife and babby and medically expensive son

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I always liked to imagine what his energy bill would be now a days, what with his billion Christmas incandescent lights, doors left open all the time, and not insulated attic

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Knight posted:

The only way you could include billing and insurance in a medical tv show is if it's a real dark comedy.

Healthcare in America would be fixed overnight if all those medical dramas just had a price counter rolling up in the corner of the screen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
scrubs, but every time you hit a multiple of the median annual american income, the laugh track plays

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

brugroffil posted:

I can also frequently be found sleeping at work

Must be because of how hard I'm working

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

a buddy of mine knocked his coconut, just donked his melon real good, rung that ol' bell and cracked a few neckbones, suffering a seizure late on his wedding night- he has some of the best health insurance available in a red state and it's still gonna cost him a few thousand bucks

he's gonna be fine in a month or so, like it's not terminal cancer; but he's also always at risk of that happening either every few years, or possibly never, and will always be paying money for it because the alternative is to maybe die

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

"yeah this is the terrorist bomber"

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

scrubs, but every time you hit a multiple of the median annual american income, the laugh track plays

scrubs but every time main scrubs and lady scrubs play grabass in the hospital they get cockblocked by a minimum wage worker sobbing over their lifelong debt over a medical emergency

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

shiksa posted:

scrubs but every time main scrubs and lady scrubs play grabass in the hospital they get cockblocked by a minimum wage worker sobbing over their lifelong debt over a medical emergency

angry janitor man stops by every episode to remind them that he will die of dehydration due to diarrhea, because he can neither afford medical attention nor to take time off work for illness when he inevitably gets food poisoning from his improperly stored microwave dinners

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lung cancer is one of the cheaper ones since it tends to kill you quick

he was much more concerned about (lack of) survivor benefits for his wife and babby and medically expensive son

much like elon, walt was a bad man who caused everyone to suffer because he wanted his ego stroked. Even in season 1 there were countless outs, like when the other founders from the startup he left offered to pay for everything and make sure his family was taken care.
Jessie Pinkman and most of the 'lowlife' guys are the ones failed by the system.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

do u think that unicorn gets embarrassed when he poos out rainbows in front of elon???

sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha

and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of unicorn pooing a rainbow while he looks nervous or embarrassed

i just want to see it for a few laughs haha

another thing i am wondering is what do you think the rainbow smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell it

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
In an episode of Chicago Hope there was a guy with really good health insurance, and everyone was mad at him because he could afford to have all the expensive and laborintensive tests done.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

orcinus posted:

Blockchain and smart contracts are pretty cool, techwise.

Nah.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

yeah I thought he became a teacher to get health insurance for his son? like you only get one disease paid for at a time

which is why he left his telsa-esque future chemistry company

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

he will not win a US libel case full stop hard period.

You are profoundly stupid.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
maybe once those libel laws get opened up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Knight posted:

Well house is that, it is kinda funny that nothing was ever mentioned about that

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

ShriekingMarxist posted:

also, in 15 years of working wage slave I've had exactly one proper vacation w/ the week off and some travel, yee haw.

Jesus Christ. America is a hell nation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1037249325464600578

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mama mia hachi machi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I'd agree that he'd win he libel suit if he had stopped at just calling the guy a pedo, layering up, issuing a public apology, but now he's adding falsifiable statements soooo