Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone have thoughts on the June oven specifically? The price came down a lot, and I’m angry at my oven right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm, $600 for a new do-it-all oven by a company I'd never heard of that hasn't come out yet, or

get the Breville Smart Oven Air that is $400, does-it-all and several posters have had glowing recommendations about older Breville ovens that they've owned, and is out now so that you can read reviews from other people who've actually owned them in real life

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Smart-Oven-Silver/dp/B01N5UPTZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534285217&sr=8-2&keywords=smart+oven+air

edit: Option C: get the $270 breville that doesn't have a dehydrator or air fryer functions, but hey, guess what blowing hot air around is

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 14, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/toaster_ovens/tob-260n1

Another option. No idea how good or bad it is. The Breville line is a known quantity - and they're great.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

For some reason the airbnb I'm in at the moment has one of those commercial deep sinks with a sprayer on a spring. It's great I'd definitely get one for myself if I didn't feel like it wasted loads of water.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Just moved into a new apartment and instead of cheap coils, I've got a smooth top electric stove. What do I need to know to avoid breaking poo poo? The stovetop itself is branded as Schott Ceran and it looks like this:

Mostly I'm worried about my Lodge 12" cast iron skillet on this thing. But any other advice is welcomed of course

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s fine as long as you leave the pans still.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FBS posted:

Just moved into a new apartment and instead of cheap coils, I've got a smooth top electric stove. What do I need to know to avoid breaking poo poo? The stovetop itself is branded as Schott Ceran and it looks like this:

Mostly I'm worried about my Lodge 12" cast iron skillet on this thing. But any other advice is welcomed of course

Pork on left side and fish on right side only.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Steve Yun posted:

It’s fine as long as you leave the pans still.

Pretty much just this. We have one and some of the "rings" are barely visible now because people can't leave their pan alone and have scratched them away.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've been seeing these big cleaver/chef knife combo knives around lately and they seem pretty neat. I'm looking for a new choppy knife and thought I'd find one in this style. Anyone know where to get one?
Something similar to this but actually good.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I've been seeing these big cleaver/chef knife combo knives around lately and they seem pretty neat. I'm looking for a new choppy knife and thought I'd find one in this style. Anyone know where to get one?
Something similar to this but actually good.

korean rail iron knives on ebay. Look for Chinese cleavers on ali express.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, if I was starting from scratch today and wanted to do it as cheap as possible I'd just get a SBZ S210-1 off aliexpress. You can get 'em for like US$20. I think I still use my CCK #1 small slicer (the Chinese cleaver that really started the Chinese cleaver craze on the English-language internet) more than it, but they're functionally identical.

That said I think I use the SBZ F208-1 (which is their `pro' model stainless sangdao) slightly more than my S210-1, for no particular reason. It's slightly more expensive at around US$30 from aliexpress.

I posted a bunch of details about various non-CCK brands/models of cleaver you can get off the internet, with pics and specs (weight, dimensions) on the kitchen knife thread. I and a couple of other people posted links to aliexpress merchants we've bought from with no problems, if that helps.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

Pretty much just this. We have one and some of the "rings" are barely visible now because people can't leave their pan alone and have scratched them away.
Alternatively: it's an apartment, you don't own it; cooktop scratches are normal wear and tear so don't worry about it and go nuts.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
IME some crusty stuff gets burned onto the burner surface. What I've done is heavily sprinkle baking soda on it, wait a few hours, then scrape off the hard junk with a paint scraper or other sharp scraper. Obviously you're scraping at a narrow angle so as long as you're consistent it shouldn't dig in and scratch.

I've lived with one of these for like 1.5 years and I've only had to do that twice. Regular maintenance is just soap, water, and a scrubber.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cross-posting from the General Questions thread:

For those of us living in countries where the Instant Pot isn't being sold, what's a good alternative?

I've been looking at the Philips All-In-One and was also wondering if any goons have tried it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So remember about a year ago when I came to this thread asking for recommendations on a new side-by-side fridge, and y’all pointed me to the Samsung RS25J500DSR?

Well, we bought it...... and now it’s stopped working. It hasn’t worked in about two weeks, and our food is spoiling. We called Samsung last week and a repair guy came and replaced the compressor fan, but that apparently hasn’t fixed the problem. We’ve been trying to call them back for the last few days and we haven’t been able to get ahold of them.

I remember reading that Samsung’s customer service is dogshit, and that that was the biggest knock against them when I was researching which fridge to buy, and now it seems we’re learning that first-hand.

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with Samsung customer service for poo poo like appliance repair? Is there a way to make this go faster? I’m sick of drinking warm soda.

EDIT: Welp, apparently the warranty on this fridge just expired a week ago, and now my parents are talking about buying another one because they’re so pissed off with Samsung.

God loving damnit.

So I guess now I need fridge recommendations again. Budget is $1500, we’re looking for another side-by-side (mom has mobility issues and can’t get to the freezer on a French door), around 25 cubic feet, needs to have an ice maker and produce/meat drawers, and we DON’T want a Samsung this time.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 14, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I had the same thing happen with Samsung, the repair guy helped us by writing the problem as a manufacturing defect and we eventually got a refund. I asked him what to buy and he recommended Whirlpool, not because it's the best but because they are easy to repair, which I can confirm.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So I guess now I need fridge recommendations again. Budget is $1500, we’re looking for another side-by-side (mom has mobility issues and can’t get to the freezer on a French door), around 25 cubic feet, needs to have an ice maker and produce/meat drawers, and we DON’T want a Samsung this time.

Literally anything that isn't a Samsung will be fine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That sucks to hear, sorry you got trouble. In the year since you asked i heard a lot of horror stories about Samsung and that I should get LG instead when possible, but it was very anecdotal

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My sister gave me her Breville stand mixer for my birthday. She used it once or twice, but doesn’t do enough baking to justify keeping it.

Sucks I didn’t get it sooner though. I spent 20 minutes hand-whipping marshmallow last night.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

After rereading Canuck-Errant’s posts from last year, I went ahead and gave Consumer Reports $8 to read their fridge reviews. Apparently the score on our Samsung has gone down about 16 points since we bought it, which pisses me off.

Here’s a list of our current frontrunners, with some pros and cons for each of them.

Whirlpool WRS975SIDM
Pros:
- It’s the highest-scoring side-by-side on Consumer Reports right now
- Has basically the exact specs we’re looking for
Cons:
- Kinda pricey, maybe outside our budget
- Might be a little small?
- Not great at making ice
- BestBuy.com doesn’t have a lot of reviews on it

Kenmore 51763
Pros:
- Similar to the Whirlpool WRS975SIDM above, but cheaper
Cons:
- It’s Kenmore, which was fine 20 years ago but is probably poo poo now
- Also not great at making ice
- Seriously, I REALLY don’t feel comfortable buying Kenmore (or any Sears brand) in 2018, even if it’s literally the above Whirlpool with a Kenmore logo on it

Whirlpool WRS588FIHZ
Pros:
- It’s big
- Price looks good
- CR scores look decent
Cons:
- Might be too big to fit through our door? (I still need to measure our doors)
- Crisper sucks
- Ice maker is just okay; looks to be a little better than the ice makers on the fridges above
- The LG below has somewhat better individual CR scores

LG LSXS26366S
Pros:
- Slightly bigger than what we’ve got now
- Slightly better CR scores for thermostat control, temperature uniformity, noise, and ease of use than the Whirlpool WRS588FIHZ
Cons:
- Shelves aren’t adjustable
- Crisper sucks
- Ice maker is just okay
- Apparently not great at storing milk and eggs due to temperature issues
- CR says reliability could be an issue

Advice and suggestions are welcome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rather than buy a whole new fridge, I'd demand Samsung honor the warranty if a repair tech already came out and it didn't fix the problem. It's not your fault they sent an incompetent tech to fix the fridge while still under warranty.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The problem with Samsung is the fridge isn't designed for repair. All the electronics and pumps are assembled then the sealed box is lowered over them, so they can only be reached by complete disassembly. Basically if anything goes wrong, you replace the fridge. And when mine broke, Samsung had only 2 authorized repairmen that covered 3 states so it took a week or more for someone to show up. One of those guys was incompetent. We went months without a fridge dealing with Samsung's warranty service.

I hate side by sides, waste of space. Mine is a 36" wide, french door with freezer on the bottom. It's a Whirlpool and uses the same parts as half a dozen other brands. If it stops working, you pull it away from the wall and almost all the parts can be replaced with a screwdriver and nut driver. There are repair sites that will ship the parts overnight and have videos on how to replace them but you probably have a local place that carries the parts for the same price. Not a fancy pants fridge but when it stopped working I was able to fix it myself in 2 days.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Rather than buy a whole new fridge, I'd demand Samsung honor the warranty if a repair tech already came out and it didn't fix the problem. It's not your fault they sent an incompetent tech to fix the fridge while still under warranty.

Except what if it breaks again? This fridge is only a year old, and getting Samsung to repair it this one time has been an absolute ordeal. We haven’t had a working fridge in like three weeks, and we have lost hundreds of dollars worth of food to spoilage as a result. Do we really want to be forced to rely on repair service this lovely in the future?

Plus the warranty has already ended, so if the fridge does break again we’re basically hosed.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Except what if it breaks again? This fridge is only a year old, and getting Samsung to repair it this one time has been an absolute ordeal. We haven’t had a working fridge in like three weeks, and we have lost hundreds of dollars worth of food to spoilage as a result. Do we really want to be forced to rely on repair service this lovely in the future?

Plus the warranty has already ended, so if the fridge does break again we’re basically hosed.

You could always push them to honor the warranty, have it repaired, and then sell it to defray the cost of the new fridge. I know some might think that's a dick thing to do, but 1) caveat emptor, and 2) there's no guarantee it WILL break again after being repaired.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a fridge that has such a high failure rate is a good candidate for a class action. No reason not to repair for a garage fridge etc

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

wormil posted:

I hate side by sides, waste of space. Mine is a 36" wide, french door with freezer on the bottom.

Part of the problem with French doors (apart from my parents hating them) is that they also tend to cost more than side-by-sides.

Personally I’d prefer a French door but we don’t have a whole ton of money right now.

The Midniter posted:

You could always push them to honor the warranty, have it repaired, and then sell it to defray the cost of the new fridge. I know some might think that's a dick thing to do, but 1) caveat emptor, and 2) there's no guarantee it WILL break again after being repaired.

I think at this point we’re pushing for a full refund on the cost of the fridge, since it was still under warranty when it actually broke. Selling it after it’s fixed is our backup plan, though (assuming we can’t keep it post-refund and do both).

Samsung also said they’d compensate us for the cost of all of our lost food. I don’t know if they’re actually gonna do that, but hopefully they will.

Whatever we get, we’re gonna put toward a new fridge.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 17, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have to wonder why we need computers in our refrigerators.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do we really need computers in our refrigerators?

tbh if done well and compartmentalized with some good AI it could really help combat food spoilage

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have to wonder why we need computers in our refrigerators.

I wonder that about a lot of things. There is something to be said for simplicity.

Also, buy the extended warranty.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Sell the egg to buy a working fridge

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What's everyone's favorite kitchen scale? My current one sucks (it has 2 button cells so it lasts all of a few months).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Eeyo posted:

What's everyone's favorite kitchen scale? My current one sucks (it has 2 button cells so it lasts all of a few months).

I have this one. It turns five in November, batteries have been changed once.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I have this one. It turns five in November, batteries have been changed once.

I had one of those. Mine emitted a high-pitched squeal that was super annoying. I replaced it with this, which I picked mostly because it was cheap and had a lot of mostly positive reviews. It has a couple of seconds of lag before it updates the weight, and I don't think it is as accurate as the ozeri.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I use this one at work and at home. https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display-11-Pound/dp/B000WJMTNA?keywords=kitchen+scale&qid=1537231994&sr=8-17&ref=mp_s_a_1_17

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have that too and I like it, but aren’t there cheaper ones that also look cool and do the same job

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Looking for a japanese 8" chef's knife recommendation and around $100-150. Even a website to read about different knives would be good!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

5436 posted:

Looking for a japanese 8" chef's knife recommendation and around $100-150. Even a website to read about different knives would be good!

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachgy21.html

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
We have a whole other thread just for knives here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I've used this one: Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GzfOBb5DRGDB6 in a commercial bakery enviroment and it never had any problems vs the OXO one that the other part of the kitchen used that we went through about 3 or 4 of them in the time I was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thumposaurus posted:

I've used this one: Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GzfOBb5DRGDB6 in a commercial bakery enviroment and it never had any problems vs the OXO one that the other part of the kitchen used that we went through about 3 or 4 of them in the time I was there.

This has been very solid and accurate for me. The bakers math mode hasn't been used because I tend to precalculate the grams.