Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

boop the snoot posted:

How do I/Can I get links to threads to open in the awful app rather than in the browser?

Settings > Default Browser > Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

Settings > Default Browser > Awful

This is my current setting.

Posting a forum link here to test that maybe it was just a faulty link I clicked in a bit ago:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866886

(first thread i saw in gbs so you probably shouldn't click it)

e: hmmm.. seems to be just that link that I was clicking before asking my question. Carry on and thanks for the great app!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Just once I’d like the image upload to not be a total crapshoot whether it’s going to work or not

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

This is also happening to me.

An uninstall/reinstall fixed it for me.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Just once I’d like the image upload to not be a total crapshoot whether it’s going to work or not

Testing...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I must be a winner today

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

Testing...

I get a message “the image upload failed, he image could not be found (code 1)” most of the time

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

butros posted:

That did it. Thanks!

:toot: Ideally we'd show a message when that's necessary, but I think the (probably undocumented) approach we had to detecting when "Full access" is off no longer works, so we should probably figure that out.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Filter by tag still doesn't work for me

It's been a little while, what's failing here again? No tags to choose from? Or choosing a tag doesn't actually limit threads to those with the chosen tag?

Pirate Radar posted:

I just got logged out of the app while I wasn’t using it. Did something break?

If the Forums decides to delete your session cookie the app will bounce you to the login screen. I think this can happen when you go through the "forgot password" routine. Maybe it can happen for other reasons too.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whenever I try to refresh my bookmarks it says “too many https redirects”. I can still open threads, but not see how many new posts and all that.

Is this still happening? Do you see a similar issue if you go to the bookmarks page on the same device but using a web browser?

shortspecialbus posted:

Last time I asked for a setting for something on something everyone didn't agree on, it was shot down as a terrible idea because it's against the philosophy of intelligent defaults. If it's decided that adding a user setting for auto-timg is acceptable, can we get some sort of user setting for slide-for-next-page slide distance?

That's a bug, not a disagreement! Nobody prefers the current behaviour so a setting makes no sense.

kimbo305 posted:

Re titles -- how do your feel about using the title in emails sent about posts?

Not sure I follow.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I know :( best I can do is tell you that it's on the list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405 and others which I think share the same thread icon are showing a black X now since the update.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405 and others which I think share the same thread icon are showing a black X now since the update.

Yeah I'm seeing quite a few black Xs too

Speaking of XS is there update on a potential 'true black' OLED theme? Especially with two more OLED phones launching next week

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

101 posted:

Yeah I'm seeing quite a few black Xs too

Speaking of XS is there update on a potential 'true black' OLED theme? Especially with two more OLED phones launching next week

what does this mean?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I will look into putting one together once I have an actual device to make sure it doesn't look like poo poo on.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I smell a conspiracy:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

akadajet posted:

what does this mean?

What part of it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s means using pure black as much as possible because of how rich it is on a Oled screen.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pure black on an oled means those pixels aren't being powered, the current blacks are just really dark, not pure black.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I want to play with some animation ideas and I chose awful as the base for it which meant recreating the layout, which meant messing around with the UI, which now means trying to make a OLED theme. Lots of half baked ideas, but pretttttty dark:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The X is a new "missing tag" icon.

The Dave posted:

I smell a conspiracy:

App Review rejected the app at one point specifically citing the Android thread tag. I’d be down to just reenable it and see, or maybe a different design would get around the censors?

Also I really like that OLED navbar.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The shade on posts that have already been read and the 'next bookmark' feature would both be great too

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Is the X thread icon a beta thing? I'm still seeing the blue generic icon:

Just curious

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Keith Atherton posted:

Is the X thread icon a beta thing? I'm still seeing the blue generic icon:

Just curious

Yeah there was a small update to it earlier.

Are you guys hesitant to work on this app too much because of the possible new forum software (that doesn't seem like it's ever gonna happen) or does that not really factor in?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

101 posted:

Are you guys hesitant to work on this app too much because of the possible new forum software (that doesn't seem like it's ever gonna happen) or does that not really factor in?

Good question. It doesn’t factor in at all for me.

Most of the time I spend on Awful goes towards triage, bug fixes or supporting new iOS versions, much of which would be largely unaffected by a change in Forums software. But even when I’m working on or pondering new features (e.g. search, SAclopedia) I don’t really consider it. Like there’s no bugs or new features that I look at and think "eh gently caress it, the new Forums software will make this irrelevant".

Put another way, my anemic contribution to Awful is entirely due to the small amount of time I allot it, and not at all to do with any possible future Forums changes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Dave posted:

I want to play with some animation ideas and I chose awful as the base for it which meant recreating the layout, which meant messing around with the UI, which now means trying to make a OLED theme. Lots of half baked ideas, but pretttttty dark:

That does look nice. If we want to move forward with this I think we need to figure out how it will fit into the existing theme settings (ie how will it work with auto dark mode etc). I've been starting to think of ways to revamp the theme system a little bit but nothing super promising has come to mind.

pokeyman posted:

Good question. It doesn’t factor in at all for me.

Most of the time I spend on Awful goes towards triage, bug fixes or supporting new iOS versions, much of which would be largely unaffected by a change in Forums software. But even when I’m working on or pondering new features (e.g. search, SAclopedia) I don’t really consider it. Like there’s no bugs or new features that I look at and think "eh gently caress it, the new Forums software will make this irrelevant".

Put another way, my anemic contribution to Awful is entirely due to the small amount of time I allot it, and not at all to do with any possible future Forums changes.

You're not anemic man, you're the biggest contributor by far!

I'm in the same boat wrt time to contribute, except my contributions are actually anemic because while I'm a full time developer I'm not remotely even adjacent to iOS so I don't really know how to do things correctly. I pretty much feel like I can't introduce major new features without also introducing a wonderful pile of hard to diagnose issues so instead I keep to trying to make that pile smaller where I can.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I’m of the same mind when it comes to the theming implementation: it needs a re-think. An OLED theme is a great example of something that really doesn’t fit with the current architecture.

Also I see where you’re coming from re: doing a big new feature. It’s no problem if that’s where you’re at. But I have no doubt you or anyone here could tackle a sizeable new thing. Especially since we’re in no rush; there’s no deadlines. If something catches your eye and I can help, just holler!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

The X is a new "missing tag" icon.

I really don't like it. (No offense to Spanky. I like what he's done overall.)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think I'll need to make the 'no thread tag' look more generic. Currently gives off too much of a something has gone wrong vibe.

Could we maybe look at combining the existing theme options into a more concise menu that we could add an OLED one to? Rather than splitting light, dark and having an alt switch it could be arranged like

OG light / OG dark / Alt Light / Alt Dark / OLED. Shown as themed circles ala the 'style' menu in thread settings.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If carry on then or pokeyman wanted to pm me some random bug fixes I'd take a swing at the stuff, I've been doing fulltime iOS stuff for like 6 years at this point (not much swift experience but tbh most issues I encounter in swift are from interoperation with objc)

Never really done much open source contribution so I'm not sure how it goes. Are there issues or tickets or something with descriptions/repro?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think I'll need to make the 'no thread tag' look more generic. Currently gives off too much of a something has gone wrong vibe.

[:iiam:]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A bobbin of thread?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I think the problem is the new no thread tag look is based on the icons, so it's a mis-match with the other thread tags and it stands out because of it. The goal isn't really to stand out and say "This tag doesn't work!" it's more so to blend in with the other tags when there is a problem. The original idea was it would blend in with the other thread tags but act as a to-do for Diabolik and me.

Could we maybe look at combining the existing theme options into a more concise menu that we could add an OLED one to? Rather than splitting light, dark and having an alt switch it could be arranged like

OG light / OG dark / Alt Light / Alt Dark / OLED. Shown as themed circles ala the 'style' menu in thread settings.

Honestly maintaining OG & Alt themes just seems silly. They're so similiar and I get you didn't want to step on any toes when you first did it but rip the band aid off. I personally like the OG more and want duller colors when I'm using the dark theme in low light but it's such a minor change people will adapt.

Maybe the best route would be choosing a base, light/dark/yospos, and then being able to customize a primary color with some presets provided.

Last night my mindset was simplify the app. Years ago my mindset was "Make it a mini version of the forums" but as I look at it I think there's things I just never need on mobile. This morning I realized that Awful and Slack are my two most used apps, and wondered if a more chatroom slack-style like design could help make it easier to digest threads.

This mock up is a little chaotic but it's trying to show off a couple of things, I think in regular use and in the middle of threads it would be super clean:

Also long term, if things pick up for me and designing screens out for fun, I'll move this from sketch to figma and anyone can collaborate in the design file.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Dave posted:

Its means using pure black as much as possible because of how rich it is on a Oled screen.

Ah, that makes sense now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

If carry on then or pokeyman wanted to pm me some random bug fixes I'd take a swing at the stuff, I've been doing fulltime iOS stuff for like 6 years at this point (not much swift experience but tbh most issues I encounter in swift are from interoperation with objc)

Never really done much open source contribution so I'm not sure how it goes. Are there issues or tickets or something with descriptions/repro?

Yep! Here's the issues. Every outstanding bug or feature request that’s come up in this or any other/past Awful thread should be in there.

I forget if you’ve already done a pull request to that repo before, but if not then first one accepted gets you the commit bit. I’m assuming you’re at least vaguely aware of pull requests and how they work on github, but if not lemme know and I’m happy to help.

I’m not terribly rigid about policies or anything, contribute as often as you like in any way you think makes sense. I’m always happy to help plan something before implementation, and I’m down for reviewing code before or after merging in to master. If something catches your eye in that mass of issues, fire away!

PMs are open, or post here, whatever works!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 5, 2018

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah I think the problem is the new no thread tag look is based on the icons, so it's a mis-match with the other thread tags and it stands out because of it. The goal isn't really to stand out and say "This tag doesn't work!" it's more so to blend in with the other tags when there is a problem. The original idea was it would blend in with the other thread tags but act as a to-do for Diabolik and me.

Yeah maybe one of these would work better? Or - and here's a thought I just had - What if it's whatever you set your app icon to?

The Dave posted:

Honestly maintaining OG & Alt themes just seems silly. They're so similiar and I get you didn't want to step on any toes when you first did it but rip the band aid off. I personally like the OG more and want duller colors when I'm using the dark theme in low light but it's such a minor change people will adapt.

Maybe the best route would be choosing a base, light/dark/yospos, and then being able to customize a primary color with some presets provided.

I think this is a real good idea. I remember when I used the Android app you could choose heaps of the colours and it was great customisation but way too many options. I said a while ago it'd be cool if you could choose the accent colour and the app would auto lighten / darken it in certain places where required, like the 'Parent Forum, Scroll To End...' menu would be the user selected accent colour + a semi transparent layer of black on top to dim it. All the non accent colours could be neutral / grayscale so any colour you chose would look pretty good.

The Dave posted:

This mock up is a little chaotic but it's trying to show off a couple of things, I think in regular use and in the middle of threads it would be super clean:

I really like most of the changes / features you put in here. The small, cropped thread titles have always been a bit annoying so the extra space is good - I do feel like a the post button should be one-tap away rather than (I assume) put in a menu somewhere. The page progress bar would be awesome to have. Also using that End of Thread section as a functional space is dope.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah maybe one of these would work better? Or - and here's a thought I just had - What if it's whatever you set your app icon to?

I think that could work pretty well.

I do feel like a the post button should be one-tap away rather than (I assume) put in a menu somewhere.

Yeah it’s the catch of making that area bigger. My idea was the bottom right becomes a catch all three actions menu that includes reply. Also liked moving that action towards the bottom of the screen so then there’s nothing relying on the top bar and making everything very reachable.

Idea no one will like: reply as a 3D Touch shortcut option on that button.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah it’s the catch of making that area bigger. My idea was the bottom right becomes a catch all three actions menu that includes reply. Also liked moving that action towards the bottom of the screen so then there’s nothing relying on the top bar and making everything very reachable.
Yeah on second thought I guess it's not that big a deal. It's definitely more reachable, and quoting a post is two-taps currently too.

The Dave posted:

Idea no one will like: reply as a 3D Touch shortcut option on that button.

I don't think anyone would ever find that feature but it's not a terrible idea.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tempted to mash release on the current beta but it still has the X icon for "missing tag". Should I ship it or revert it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah on second thought I guess it's not that big a deal. It's definitely more reachable, and quoting a post is two-taps currently too.

I don't think anyone would ever find that feature but it's not a terrible idea.

We've been talking a little bit about this at my UX consultancy, and where I go on this is it's okay to have a shortcut to an existing action that is not easy to find, as long as some sort of onboarding educates the user and gets them to understand it's there, kind of analogous with keyboard shortcuts.

So replying would live in both places, but the 3d touch shortcut is more 'hidden' and for 'power' users. Granted that example might be weird because reply is basically coming from the same button in both instances.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Tempted to mash release on the current beta but it still has the X icon for "missing tag". Should I ship it or revert it?

I think revert, tbh. It looks pretty broken.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Whoops, forgot to untick "render as template", that no tag image looks p funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Spent a lot of time creating a real thread page in my new design mockup. Although I like the idea of decoupling the date from the time, it could look a little funky on a thread that doesn't have a lot of action.

Also started messing with the progress bar animation, I likes it.

I have no idea how to embed videos correctly