Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it was disallowed in final fantasy crystal chronicles, too, a game where you might encounter the named character once in eighty hours of play

let the players! use names where they want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Srice posted:

I appreciate it when RPGs do this because I've had personal experience with it getting messy when it is allowed.

I forget where I heard this from but apparently FF7 becomes really really funny if you name every character Sephiroth

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Srice posted:

I appreciate it when RPGs do this because I've had personal experience with it getting messy when it is allowed.

Try naming everybody in FF6 KEFKA sometime

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I forget where I heard this from but apparently FF7 becomes really really funny if you name every character Sephiroth
Right, it’s totally all upside in my opinion. If you get confused it’s just part of the fun!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sephiroth...? i can't say that rings a bell. but you can't expect me to remember the name of every SOLDIER. unless you were another sephiroth...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sephiroth Dies

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also you don't need to worry about DQ11s soundtrack at all because from what I've heard the game is REALLY bad. Check out this pretty damning review:

????

This is my character

Dunno why Robert is bad

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Overbite posted:

????

This is my character

Dunno why Robert is bad
it's meme slang for boobs, I guess? like people are saying, the block is probably just to avoid creating confusion when interacting with a preexisting ingame character also named Robert

(haven't played DQXI, though, so I could be totally wrong)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's because there's a story NPC named Robert so you can't name the Hero Robert

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Srice posted:

When I played Golden Sun 1, I tried to name my character Gareth, didn't notice that it only took five characters, started the game and quickly had Garet interact with Garet. Great.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

corn in the bible posted:

That's a dumb reason.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Overbite posted:

That's a dumb reason.
not really? having two characters with the same name can get real confusing real fast, assuming they're both relatively major. I guess it's debatable whether the game should outright ban you from using an existing name, but it should definitely give you a warning

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe it's dumb but that is the reason, not CENSORSHIP

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elephant Parade posted:

not really? having two characters with the same name can get real confusing real fast, assuming they're both relatively major. I guess it's debatable whether the game should outright ban you from using an existing name, but it should definitely give you a warning

I forgot that they never show what the characters look like and never give context about who exactly they are talking to so I can see why two people named Robert would be confusing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maybe it's dumb but that is the reason, not CENSORSHIP

but can't you see we've been Robbed

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't really like DQ music. It just all blends together, and if you've heard one track you've heard them all.

As for the Robert thing, lol. I can....sort of understand why, it's a fairly important character. To say anymore would is maybe a spoiler, so: one of your party members, the old man, his real name is Robert. Everyone just calls him Rab though.

Not like a huge spoiler but whatever. Still I don't think people are dumb enough to confuse which person is being talked about. Maybe give a prompt at the beginning that it may get confusing rather than an outright refusal of the name?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MS Saga is trying to do the "hey the game's almost over!" trick on me which I think would have worked if I didn't have a whole second continent to explore. The game can't be over without me visiting :usa:

I will say though, I am legitimately curious how they'll keep the game going after that though. I've explored all of Europe, China, and now Russia in only 15 or so hours, but looking at the enemy data list I only have like 40 enemies seen out of hundreds

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think it's just the town music that I really mind, especially that part of it that crescendos into nothing. It feels like an unresolved tune done in midi synths that are just grating as hell.

Also I don't know why they made Erik's steal have such a low probability. Like even with equipment that gives an extra 6 percent or so, I feel like I only have like a 10 percent chance of stealing something. I guess it's because those ingredients are kinda pricy on their own but at the same time goddamn I just wanted to make this boomerang that is apparently made of bones.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The midis are fine in a ten-year old handheld game. They're not fine in one of the prettiest 3d modeled JRPGS ever. Also, the DQXI soundtrack just sounds kind of bad.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Agreed, it's poo poo scores, played through poo poo midis by a poo poo person.

Die or get severe enough dementia Square can talk you into anything already Sugiyama.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Undertale, of course, had the cast chime in if you tried putting in their name for the fallen child.

I hate any artist who tries to meddle with the distribution of a product that they composed for, gently caress you that's not your job. See the Starmazer legal-mess.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 6, 2018

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

geez am I the only one who actually likes DQ's unorchestrated music?

I don’t really think the problem is that it’s unorchastrated, as a huge DQ fanboy, I think the problem is that IV-VI DS and VII 3DS US legit sound less synthey than VIII and what I’ve seen of XI so far like four hours in. Like, I barely remember playing 8 PS2 and it’s ost stands out like a sore thumb, whereas having compared both 7 US/JP OST the us version is solid enough on its own merits and better than the PS1 version, where part of the reason I shelved 8 was so I can patch in the good OST.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Parade posted:

like people are saying, the block is probably just to avoid creating confusion when interacting with a preexisting ingame character also named Robert

(haven't played DQXI, though, so I could be totally wrong)

Yeah, it's this. And it's an old DQ-thing. Surprised me a bit in DQ7, when the first three names I tried all didn't work because of this. :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"K***ht **ward has been invaded by FurryFucker99."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can you turn off the music in DQXI? I've started doing this recently in games where I don't particularly care for the music. Makes you appreciate the sound effect work more too.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Can you turn off the music in DQXI? I've started doing this recently in games where I don't particularly care for the music. Makes you appreciate the sound effect work more too.

I have the Japanese 3DS version so I'm not sure it's the same across all of them, but unless I'm remembering wrong there are separate volume sliders for sound effects and music. I haven't tried turning the music all the way down so I don't know if it turns it off entirely, but it's worth a shot.

Speaking of the 3DS version, while in Japan earlier this summer I streetpassed a Yotchi that I recently discovered probably has hacked stats. I read online that there's some warning from Square Enix that they can mess up your game but I've been using it for a while with no problems. Anyone know if it can legit do damage? I'm thinking it's more likely just a CYA warning from Squenix and/or they don't like hacking/cheaters.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Agreed, it's poo poo scores, played through poo poo midis by a poo poo person.

Die or get severe enough dementia Square can talk you into anything already Sugiyama.

It's hillarius how half the game's streaming conditions are basically "don't do this just to upload music (c) Sugiyama".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I've dialed down the music from the default 10 to 3, which definitely has helped.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah there are pretty elaborately sampled and real-sounding sound banks you can run a midi sequence through these days, so for the game to use one that sounds like it's from the 90s is an intentional choice that just doesn't fit the lushness of the visuals at all.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mostly the goddamn trumpets on the overworld theme are starting to really hurt my soul. Like I'm not usually someone that notices music even when it's bad, so the fact that the overworld music in DQXI is noticeably annoying me says something.

I was really hoping once I left the first zone the theme would change, but nope. Sigh.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm going to play Bravely Default, what's the best difficulty to go with? And any tips before I start?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rpg's having bad music is a universal dealbreaker for me so i guess that's one less game i have to buy this season, woohoo

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

I'm going to play Bravely Default, what's the best difficulty to go with? And any tips before I start?

Normal is fine. You might want to skip the optional parts of chapters 5+6. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

For the moral decisions pick the same choices twice for the best outcome. Also will make sense when you see it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The music in dq11 owns and you guys are crazy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
well now i know it's garbo, the most incorrect vegetable has spoken

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

While technically the samples used are not period accurate, they are what we might term a "simalacrum," in that they present the IDEA of early jrpg musicness in a way that true 8-bit music could not. Though the trumpet sample admits of multiple non-coded connotations, the signified (early jrpg music track) is fixed by the linguistic element, "dragon quest." Thus, in semiotic fashion, we can see that using weird, bleepy music in dq11 is an effective paradigmatic element, and removing it would weaken the intended message of the product not just paradigmatically, but also syntagmatically. QED

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If you gave me a track from DQXI, from DQVIII, and DQIII, I would not be able to tell which one was from which game, they're all the same style, all the same melodies, all the same bland style.

Like, I know you can say "hurr hurr just like DQ as a whole" but I quite like the series except the more I listen to the soundtrack, the more I realize that there are absolutely no distinguishing features between any of the songs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Morpheus posted:

If you gave me a track from DQXI, from DQVIII, and DQIII, I would not be able to tell which one was from which game, they're all the same style, all the same melodies, all the same bland style.

Like, I know you can say "hurr hurr just like DQ as a whole" but I quite like the series except the more I listen to the soundtrack, the more I realize that there are absolutely no distinguishing features between any of the songs.

very true and right opinion and Im a huge DQ fan.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Undertale, of course, had the cast chime in if you tried putting in their name for the fallen child.

I hate any artist who tries to meddle with the distribution of a product that they composed for, gently caress you that's not your job. See the Starmazer legal-mess.

The Starmazer debacle was also because the composer had some clear real life issues, a persecution complex and didn't seem to understand contracts at all more than them being a bad person like the DQ guy though. That whole saga was very interesting to follow on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Are there any Forgotten Realms RPG's for the Ps4?