Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks, that's helpful! Looks like it'd cost me a few hundred or so to set up ducting, but I should also give some thought to exactly where all my tools should be placed. Hell, I should be doing that anyway. I still have a 4'x8' sheet of plywood serving as a table for my miter saw and miscellaneous workshop crap, right in the middle of the shop where it can maximally get in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This from Oneida may also be helpful https://www.oneida-air.com/static.asp?htmltemplate=static/ductwork_tutorial01.html

I got this book from the library one time and it was moderately helpful? https://www.amazon.com/Woodshop-Dust-Control-Complete-Setting/dp/1561584991

I have plenty of space and reached the conclusion that it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a cheap second dust collector for the table saw/future shaper and have one for the jointer and planer than it would be to buy a bigger collector and run all that ductwork. It didn't help that the shop has 20' ceilings in parts and I'd have to rent a lift to hang stuff from it. With more limited space running the ductwork would be easier and you'd probably not want a second collector hogging room. I keep meaning to build a venturi chip separator thing for the one on the jointer/planer since emptying bags is kind of a pain. I use a shop vac for the mitre saw/router table.

I bought a used Jet dust collector from a small mom and pop cabinet shop that closed and they had run all their piping with cheap corrugated black landscape drainage pipe and it seemed to work fine for them? They were really mostly collecting sawdust and not larger planer shavings so that may have made a difference.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm so jealous of having air built into a shop. drat. Someday.

Today I got a 7ton PK log splitter and suddenly I'm looking forward to splitting and stacking 2 cords of maple. I didn't have high hopes for it to be able to handle most of the wood I have but it seemed to do alright! I also did not know that different types of wood split easier green, pretty interesting

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I bought a 20" Ryobi chainsaw to clear out a lot of bushes. After using it for a few days the chain seems pretty dull and I see burn marks on the wood when it cuts. Is the OEM chain worth resharpening or would it be better to buy an aftermarket?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Koryk posted:

I bought a 20" Ryobi chainsaw to clear out a lot of bushes. After using it for a few days the chain seems pretty dull and I see burn marks on the wood when it cuts. Is the OEM chain worth resharpening or would it be better to buy an aftermarket?

Sharpening a chain only takes 15 minutes. I’d just sharpen it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As a not-experienced chainsaw person, my understanding is that blades tend to dull pretty quickly, especially if you're at all careless with what they touch. If there were some pebbles or a nail or something in the blade path, that'll dull it right quick.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Koryk posted:

I've never used a ryobi saw but on my stihl I take off the plate and scrape it clean and sharpen the chain every time I use it so yes.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a not-experienced chainsaw person, my understanding is that blades tend to dull pretty quickly, especially if you're at all careless with what they touch. If there were some pebbles or a nail or something in the blade path, that'll dull it right quick.

Oh god continuing to never loan my saw out but willing to work for free for friends. I saw someone last week throw their chain using a 441 to cut through 4 inch posts hahaha

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 31, 2018

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Thanks, that's helpful! Looks like it'd cost me a few hundred or so to set up ducting, but I should also give some thought to exactly where all my tools should be placed. Hell, I should be doing that anyway. I still have a 4'x8' sheet of plywood serving as a table for my miter saw and miscellaneous workshop crap, right in the middle of the shop where it can maximally get in the way.

Unless your DC is very big, 6" duct will handle the vacuum without collapsing. You can get tee wye and other slightly less-common fittings ordered online through Home Depot (and obviously any other way better supply shop), and it's easy to work with and hang.

Hypnolobster posted:

Finally got my dust collection system finished (mostly) in the haus of grizzly. Used 6" HVAC ducting. I think I only have about $150 total in it including a hard to find wye branch. So much cheaper than PVC or (god forbid) actual heavy gauge dust collection ducting.

It feels weird to open a blast gate and have dust collection at a tool without moving a hose/tool around a bunch.
That's still more or less how I have my shop DC setup.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 31, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sharp chains are awesome and dull chains suck.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
What's the deal with aligning a miter saw? I have one and I'm positive it cuts 45s improperly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

French Canadian posted:

What's the deal with aligning a miter saw? I have one and I'm positive it cuts 45s improperly.

Your owners manual will have exact instructions, but essentially you just use a square to make sure that the blade is, well, square with the fence. I'd give a better explanation, but the process is slightly different with every saw. If you've never done it though, yeah, you're probably not imagining things, it probably isn't square from the factory.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

What’s the consensus on a good battery powered trimmer/blower/ecosystem? Looking at the Ryobi 40v right now.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

What’s the consensus on a good battery powered trimmer/blower/ecosystem? Looking at the Ryobi 40v right now.

I've used their trimmer and mower twice a week since early spring and have zero complaints.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheManWithNoName posted:

Very satisfied with my DeWalt setup. Flexvolt is really nice.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I've bought some ego stuff and am happy with it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm liking my ryobi 40v mower a lot. About half hour run time though, so if that won't work for you, be aware. The ego stuff seems to be about double the runtime (and cost).

Standard ryobi warnings apply. Some parts seem cheap and I'm sort of waiting for them to fail (the mulch plug seems to want to crack when installing/removing, the 'clamps' that lock the handle bars folded/unfolded seem cheap, etc). The bulk of the mower seems fairly reliable though. I expect it to be running 5 years from now, but with duct tape on a couple parts, you know?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Was driving to a friend's house the other night and one of his neighbors had these guys sitting out next to his trash bin:

The scroll saw's table doesn't stay square/at the angle you set it to, seems like the threads on the knob that locks it in place are stripped, so that should be an easy fix. The sander initially didn't start, seemed like the motor was seized, but I banged on the side and it started, though it was pretty squeaky, so I think if I clean and grease it it'll be good to go.

Not a bad deal considering they were free.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Is Craftsman any better than, say, HF's house brand now, or is it all The Usual Scumbags same as with power tools?

Anyway, I just bought a Craftsman 137-pc mechanic's kit at Lowe's to replace my recently-stolen similar kit I got for Xmas 20 years ago. Was trying (and failing) to paint in the size engravings, and noticed what appears to be sequential-ish numbers on every piece in the set. Is that serial numbers? Should I write them down in case it gets stolen again?

Also also, anybody know of a cheap place to get those socket-organizer strips? I want to use a box I inherited from my grandfather, who taught me how to use tools before he died two days after my 10th birthday (and I'm named after him. Consensus is that he held on long enough to see one more birthday of all the grandkids, and I was the oldest :unsmith: ) but I'm not an animal, or a person with good vision (hence the painting), I don't want to dump the sockets loose in the trays (It's one of those pentagonal-ish ones, looks like a kid's drawing of a house at the ends, with the cantilever trays in the sides of the lid).

Is this as pictured, sans sockets? A buck apiece seems suspiciously cheap, and has me suspecting that you're only buying the rail and the springy bits are extra or something. OTOH, Horror Fright.

Edit: Re: grandpa's toolbox: I may get one of my cousins-once-removed who is at the age of drawing houses like that to actually paint windows on the ends, and then bequeath it to him when I die.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 6, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Is this as pictured, sans sockets? A buck apiece seems suspiciously cheap, and has me suspecting that you're only buying the rail and the springy bits are extra or something. OTOH, Horror Fright.

Yeah, just get them bitches. Worst case, you go to hazard fraud, open the box and see if they got the springy things in there.
You should get more than what you think you need though. I bought some of them from Princess Auto (same as hazard fraud but in Canuckistan) and when I put sockets on them, by the time I put all my metric, 3/8/whatever sockets on one, there weren't enough of the retainy things. So I had to take some off the other rails. So like, you might end up with empty rails, or rails that only have one or two retainers left because they only came with like 10 retainers, but your set has 15 metric 3/8" sockets or whatever...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I believe I bought the cheap ones from harbor freight and they do come with the spring/holders. They're great for 1/4 and 3/8 but they struggle keeping my 1/2" impacts together.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The sequential numbers are most likely part/model numbers for the individual tools. No real sense in recording them as they're easily found online.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Neat, apparently advances have been made in manufacturing technology/the patent expired since I was last stopping for them.

Re: my stolen kit: I don't feel too bad about it, I figure I got my parent's money's worth. All three of the ratchets were varying degrees of hosed, from the 1/4 that had a few broken teeth, to the 3/8 that you had to hold the pawl to make it not click, to the 1/2 that ... well, let's not speak of the Poor Man's Impact Wrench (a no-questions-asked warranty and a 3-to-4-pound hammer are a beautiful combination in tight spaces where you can't get a breaker bar).

I know Lowe's, when Sears was dying and giving out lovely refurbs, had OG Craftsman-style warranty ("you break it, go get a new one off the shelf free") on their house brand, does that apply (again) to Craftsman now that it's their house brand?

I did get a wrench replaced at Sears under the old-school warranty once. It wasn't entirely "no questions asked," but I got a new one off the shelf free. The one question asked was "Jesus Hopping Christ on a pogo stick, how did you DO that to it?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Help me folks, because I had damned well better be doing this wrong.

That's a 35mm dust hood for the router, connected to a 1 3/4" adapter, connected to a 2 1/4" adapter, which is connected to a 4" adapter by way of a sawn-off section of an old shopvac hose because that was literally the only loving piece of plastic I could find that had the right diameter to fit either over or inside the adjacent adapters.

What am I supposed to be doing here? How do you use a 4" dust collector when your tool doesn't have anything anywhere near a 4" port?

On the plus side, despite all the reductions the suction is strong enough to keep dust under control, which means I won't be spraying everything in a five-yard radius with shavings when I cut my mortises!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

hahaha that is great. I'm impressed it can still suck. I figure you can make something more efficient out of pvc plumbing parts but if that is working meh

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I usually use a shop vac for smaller stuff like that, but even then it is still just cobbling together various pvc bits and cutting up old yogurt containers. My planer has like a 6” port but it is a European 6” dust port that isn’t actually 6” and of course 6” pipe isn’t actually 6” ID or OD so nothing ever fits right. I console myself that it is actually an appropriate place to cover in duct tape.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yea I do the same to get my shop vac on my chop saw

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

hahaha that is great. I'm impressed it can still suck. I figure you can make something more efficient out of pvc plumbing parts but if that is working meh

What would that something look like though? I mean, I spent a fair bit of time in Home Depot's plumbing aisle and as far as I can tell plumbing pipes and dust collection stuff is largely mutually incompatible.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I usually use a shop vac for smaller stuff like that, but even then it is still just cobbling together various pvc bits and cutting up old yogurt containers. My planer has like a 6” port but it is a European 6” dust port that isn’t actually 6” and of course 6” pipe isn’t actually 6” ID or OD so nothing ever fits right. I console myself that it is actually an appropriate place to cover in duct tape.

Yeah, my shop vac's motor died (it was a pretty lousy shop vac TBH) and I'd rather not get another tool to take up space and perform the same basic job as the dust collector does, if I can avoid it.

But it sounds like you're saying poo poo like this is actually kinda common, which is depressing. :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Dust collection is high volume low pressure. For little tools like routers/handheld sanders/etc you want high pressure (shop vac). They do different things! 4" dust collection adapted lower than 2.5" is approaching worthless levels of flow.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Huh. Okay, I learned something today. Thanks.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Since green season is winding down, some shops have good offers on gardening stuff. I took a chance (in the sense that I didn't really know the max thickness of bush/branches that it would be able to cut) and bought the makita DUR365 2x18v brush cutter/strimmer, along with a metal blade. The things sounds like a spaceship starting up and it cuts like a hot drat. The brambles in our garden is getting a hot supper now. Highly recommended if you are on the makita platform and have a largish garden that is trying to kill you.

http://www.makita.dk/skov-have/55630/DUR365UZ.html
+
http://www.makita.dk/tilbehor-skov-have/55820/195298-3.html
Plus some mounting bits (168526-9, 346084-7 and a another 5amp bat, so I have two pairs, 4 and 5 amps, allowing uninterrupted usage of 2x18v tools). Sorry for the bork on the makita site.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

That's a 35mm dust hood for the router, connected to a 1 3/4" adapter, connected to a 2 1/4" adapter, which is connected to a 4" adapter by way of a sawn-off section of an old shopvac hose because that was literally the only loving piece of plastic I could find that had the right diameter to fit either over or inside the adjacent adapters.

What am I supposed to be doing here? How do you use a 4" dust collector when your tool doesn't have anything anywhere near a 4" port?

On the plus side, despite all the reductions the suction is strong enough to keep dust under control, which means I won't be spraying everything in a five-yard radius with shavings when I cut my mortises!

use a 1 1/4" shop vac hose.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mds2 posted:

use a 1 1/4" shop vac hose.

The original problem statement had an implicit "I want to connect this to my dust collector, which only has 4" ports" in it. Your proposal as such is mildly incomplete; at minimum it should have "...and a shitload of duct tape" appended to it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Only really practical if you already have a 3d printer, but I use this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18802 to generate connectors. You just type in your settings like inside and outside diameters, and it will generate a fitting for you to print.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

For what it's worth, I've found that the flexible rubber pipe couplers/reducers (the ones with screw-down hose clamps) work great for this kind of thing. They are flexible enough that you just have to get into the right ballpark with sizing and then snug it down the last bit for whatever weird snowflake ID/OD port DeWalt or whomever used so they could force you to buy a connector from them.

35mm is about 1-3/8", so something like this *might* work: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-4-in-x-1-1-2-in-PVC-C-I-and-Plastic-to-C-I-and-Plastic-Flexible-Coupling-1056-415/203310952

e: I'd recommend taking the two ends you want to connect to the plumbing aisle and just trying things to get it to work. The hose clamps and the grip/flexibility of the rubber give you some wiggle room, but I had a few false starts when I had a port that seemed *just* too big to fit into one common size and too small to fit into another without slipping out.

The straight rubber couplers are also great for smashing together close-but-not-identical sized parts, as well.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 7, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

"...and a shitload of duct tape" appended to it.

Well, that's taken for granted, innit?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

There's metal duct reducers as well as pvc.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Does anybody know what the tool in the background with the round handle on it is called? I need something that can turn a ~1/8" round hole into a 1/8" wide rectangular hole, exactly like the guy in the photo is doing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Broach tool? bradawl? awl? gimlet? Haha I think I'm getting close

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 9, 2018

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Broach tool? bradawl? awl? gimlet? Haha I think I'm getting close

Thank you! That looks like the word I needed. "Handle broach" seems to be what it's called, though it also looks like it's pretty much only known to knife makers, and the two that I could find for sale are way more than I want to spend, so I'll probably try to make my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm very happy with my Milwaukee 18V leaf blower, and I'm going to give the string trimmer a workout with weeds that popped up in the back yard during our unusually wet last month or so.

Trip report - finally gave the weedwhacker a hot supper. I'm sold on it. Way quieter and less vibration than gas, more powerful than any plug in electric I've used. Honestly feels more powerful than my last two cheap-rear end gas trimmers.

The only weird thing is I swear it runs backwards compared to every other trimmer I've ever used. I fully admit I haven't picked up a string trimmer in at least a year or more prior to using this, but my muscle memory is all built around using the left side of the string to shoot poo poo away from me instead of pelting my shins with (even more) debris.