Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Since he was talking about rooting I just assumed it was in reference to the bootloader, those are definitely locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

The $300 goes towards the Galaxy 9, 9+, Pixel 2 / 2 XL, and believe it or not the Note 8. He Note 9 doesn’t get that promo, I assume because they’re offering a BOGO on the Note 9.

I think rooting is a waste of time at this point, not sure on it otherwise.

As others stated already, all Verizon phones are carrier unlocked to any carrier.

Random thing: not sure if I posted this or not, but Verizon is def moving towards sun setting 2G. Any phone that doesn’t do HD Voice (VOLTE) cannot be reactivated on a postpaid account. So like, Galaxy S4 or lower, or iPhone 4 and 4S.

If currently active, they work business as usual. Still another year to year and a half until it gets to “you have xx time to get new phone before your old phone gets shut off.”

So no more "dumb phones"? My dad has an LG Cosmos 2...

I also need to see if I should change my family plan soon, I finally got kicked to the $50 (instead of $30) grandfathered unlimited data :'-(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

So no more "dumb phones"? My dad has an LG Cosmos 2...

I also need to see if I should change my family plan soon, I finally got kicked to the $50 (instead of $30) grandfathered unlimited data :'-(

“Dumb phones” are still there, but you have to get a Verizon 4G version that takes a SIM card. That Cosmos 2 is good for another 1.5 ish years and then it’ll have to get replaced.

Always feel free to PM me and I don’t mind checking your plan.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Duckman2008 posted:

It's your phone, so if you want to sell it, but keep the payment plan for the promo for that remaining time , that should be fine. The only way you 'lose your discount,' is by paying off the phone early. So essentially, you can't have another phone payment plan until that current promo runs its course.

Just so I'm clear- do I have to sell the phone as Verizon locked? My wife moved back to iPhone and I'm going to sell her Pixel 2. We got a 50% off credit applied over 24 months on the Pixel so if it's that easy, awesome. I'm just worried there's like a blacklist or something and the person buying it won't be able to activate it until it's paid off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

Just so I'm clear- do I have to sell the phone as Verizon locked? My wife moved back to iPhone and I'm going to sell her Pixel 2. We got a 50% off credit applied over 24 months on the Pixel so if it's that easy, awesome. I'm just worried there's like a blacklist or something and the person buying it won't be able to activate it until it's paid off.

Nope your fine, it won’t be blocked or blacklisted. Sell it, let the credit ride until the payment plan is over so you Get the full credit.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Annath posted:

Also, and this might not be your bailiwick but I figured I'd ask, its been like 3-4 years since I've gotten a phone "from" a carrier, do i still need to root poo poo on Android, or are phones unlocked/rooted by default these days?

As far as rooting goes, good luck. Verizon sold phones have the bootloader locked so it's nearly impossible to root them, and they won't allow companies like Motorola to give out the bootloader unlock codes, even if the customer acknowleges they are voiding the warranty. I think the last Moto phone you could buy from Verizon and root was the Moto X (the first one), and then, only if you bought the developer version. I have a Pixel 2 I got from Google, and my wife has one she got from Verizon. You can't unlock the bootloader on the Verizon version no matter what, even if you buy the phone outright and never plan on using it on Verizon's network. Unless you like to do dev or really want to put a different rom build on you phone, you don't really have to root imo. Anymore, lots of apps like Google pay and many banking apps verify root status and won't run on rooted phones. The only reason I ever rooted was to enable tethering on my old unlimited data plan, but I switched to the new (now old and no longer avalible "New Verizon Unlimited" plan that lets you tether up to 15gb, which I never used anywhere near that much data tethering ever.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yes Verizon phones are unlocked
Not for much longer. I guess they've already started locking phones until they get activated, but soon they will lock them all for a unspecified amount of time. There's been some robberies of Verizon stores because the phones are unlocked, probably shipped and sold out of the country.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Article you linked is from February

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

“Dumb phones” are still there, but you have to get a Verizon 4G version that takes a SIM card. That Cosmos 2 is good for another 1.5 ish years and then it’ll have to get replaced.

Always feel free to PM me and I don’t mind checking your plan.

Good to know thanks! Ill PM you after I deal with my move:)

Dad probably needs/wants a smart phone soon anyway so lucky him!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uli2000 posted:

As far as rooting goes, good luck. Verizon sold phones have the bootloader locked so it's nearly impossible to root them, and they won't allow companies like Motorola to give out the bootloader unlock codes, even if the customer acknowleges they are voiding the warranty. I think the last Moto phone you could buy from Verizon and root was the Moto X (the first one), and then, only if you bought the developer version. I have a Pixel 2 I got from Google, and my wife has one she got from Verizon. You can't unlock the bootloader on the Verizon version no matter what, even if you buy the phone outright and never plan on using it on Verizon's network. Unless you like to do dev or really want to put a different rom build on you phone, you don't really have to root imo. Anymore, lots of apps like Google pay and many banking apps verify root status and won't run on rooted phones. The only reason I ever rooted was to enable tethering on my old unlimited data plan, but I switched to the new (now old and no longer avalible "New Verizon Unlimited" plan that lets you tether up to 15gb, which I never used anywhere near that much data tethering ever.

Not for much longer. I guess they've already started locking phones until they get activated, but soon they will lock them all for a unspecified amount of time. There's been some robberies of Verizon stores because the phones are unlocked, probably shipped and sold out of the country.

Yeah, Verizon never clarified, but essentially they never followed through with what they were saying there.

Verizon does say they can remote disable phones too, but to what extent I couldn’t tell you. Robberies are an issue, Verizon has done visibly more in terms of employee training on robberies.

Verizon also has big issues with fraud (as do the other carriers). I get fraud on a daily basis, and that’s one employee at one store. It’s like whack a mole, you flag one, and two more come in.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but when does the Galaxy watch become available to buy from Verizon?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but when does the Galaxy watch become available to buy from Verizon?

I haven’t seen a release date yet unfortunately.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

If I buy one from samsung, will I have any problems at all activating it with verizon?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Bananana posted:

If I buy one from samsung, will I have any problems at all activating it with verizon?

If you get an International unlocked version you might have problems with certain bands, no VoLTE. Things like that. Not fun. If they are selling the VZW model, go for it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Does Verizon still offer NFL streaming data cap free? I know before that they did but they announced this year that anyone, regardless of wireless provider, will be able to stream all games for free through the NFL app (powered by Verizon).

I was just wondering if it would count against my data for the month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does Verizon still offer NFL streaming data cap free? I know before that they did but they announced this year that anyone, regardless of wireless provider, will be able to stream all games for free through the NFL app (powered by Verizon).

I was just wondering if it would count against my data for the month.

Honestly, no idea.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Paid $100 (down from $150) for an out-of-warranty replacement on wife's OG PixelXL.

Refurb (expected) arrived with loving burn-in.

I feel bad for the chat rep that got me before the body was even cold, but I have another replacement on the way now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How soon is it usually before Verizon has their iPhone XS pricing and trade-in values listed? I was planning on doing Apple Upgrade Program this year, unless Verizon is going to give me a great trade in on my old phone like they did 2 years ago with my 5S.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

How soon is it usually before Verizon has their iPhone XS pricing and trade-in values listed? I was planning on doing Apple Upgrade Program this year, unless Verizon is going to give me a great trade in on my old phone like they did 2 years ago with my 5S.

I honestly was a bit disappointed they didn’t release anything today, but I would expect we should know tomorrow.

When you go on the website, right now it says “get our best launch promo ever.”

Now, the current best launch promo was the iPhone 7 2 years ago. Which was literally free for a bit. So like, I am betting it’s just marketing speak, but when I see that claim I’m like “man, don’t over promise.”

We will see how tomorrow goes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

Now, the current best launch promo was the iPhone 7 2 years ago. Which was literally free for a bit.
You would obviously know better than I do, but I don’t remember that (or was it only for new customers?).

I do remember they copied the “iPhone 7 for $10/mo for 24 months” that T-mobile started, which was awesome enough for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You would obviously know better than I do, but I don’t remember that (or was it only for new customers?).

I do remember they copied the “iPhone 7 for $10/mo for 24 months” that T-mobile started, which was awesome enough for me.

I don’t remember all the details , but I believe it was $10 a month no trade in, $0 a month with qualifying trade in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t remember all the details , but I believe it was $10 a month no trade in, $0 a month with qualifying trade in.

Free iPhone 7 (billed monthly) with any iPhone 6 trade in. My wife and I jumped on that offer and there's a lot more people who did too.

“Want a new iPhone 7 at no cost? For a limited time, beginning Friday, September 9, at 12:01 a.m. PST, Verizon is offering iPhone 7 32 GB at no cost after you trade in an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s or 6s Plus. Have an iPhone 5, 5c, 5s or SE? Get up to $400 towards the purchase of your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. Or trade in your Android or iPhone 4 device for up to $300 in trade-in value.”

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I finally hosed up the screen on my 4 year old Droid Turbo, so it's new phone time. What are some Android phones with good battery life? It seems like everyone just recommends getting the Galaxy. I don't really care too much about taking pictures either so camera quality doesn't matter to me...

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 13, 2018

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I finally hosed up the screen on my 4 year old Droid Turbo, so it's new phone time. What are some Android phones with good battery life? It seems like everyone just recommends getting the Galaxy. I don't really care too much about taking pictures either so camera quality doesn't matter to me...

Get an s8 galaxy

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Get an s8 galaxy

Ok I'll take a look at it. Are there any kind of verizon promotions that are kind of expected to be coming up soon where I can score a deal?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ok I'll take a look at it. Are there any kind of verizon promotions that are kind of expected to be coming up soon where I can score a deal?

Last years Note 8 is about to be $200 off , which is good. Otherwise not much in android world.

For iPhone world Verizon is doing a BOGO for launch. Standard BOGO: buy the XS / XS max, get $700 off the second phone (so iPhone 8 is free, iPhone XS $700 off).

JuggerNate
Jul 28, 2016
Thank you for the iPhone info I am interested in this offer. If I add a line and get a new number for the bogo, can I cancel an old line/number and still receive monthly promo credits on the new one?

Funky Bunkbed
Jul 27, 2007
You are now.
Am I correct that there’s no way around needing a new line for the iPhone Xs/Max promo? If not, is this likely to be the best deal we’re gonna get? With that awesome iPhone 7 promo (which I totally took advantage of), I can’t remember if they wound up doing something similar later in the year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Last years Note 8 is about to be $200 off , which is good. Otherwise not much in android world.

For iPhone world Verizon is doing a BOGO for launch. Standard BOGO: buy the XS / XS max, get $700 off the second phone (so iPhone 8 is free, iPhone XS $700 off).

One of the lines has to be a new line though :fuckoff:

Funky Bunkbed posted:

Am I correct that there’s no way around needing a new line for the iPhone Xs/Max promo? If not, is this likely to be the best deal we’re gonna get? With that awesome iPhone 7 promo (which I totally took advantage of), I can’t remember if they wound up doing something similar later in the year.

That iPhone 7 deal was the best they've done and haven't done anything like that since.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Do they have decent Black Friday deals? Missed out on the BOGO Note 9, apparently.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sorry guys, I thought I put new line in there. One line needs to be knew for the promo.

JuggerNate posted:

Thank you for the iPhone info I am interested in this offer. If I add a line and get a new number for the bogo, can I cancel an old line/number and still receive monthly promo credits on the new one?

The add a line number has to stay. If you want to cancel one of the current numbers, that’s fine. If you would like a referral code for, me, PM me or email jimplaysdrums at gmail and I’ll send you my referral code. Would be appreciated.

Silly Burrito posted:

Do they have decent Black Friday deals? Missed out on the BOGO Note 9, apparently.

Black Friday deals are never announced until the Wednesday before at best. So no idea.

Promos will come and go, so keep checking online.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 14, 2018

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I'm not the one that is in charge of handling the family plan stuff so I haven't paid attention for a long time, but is there really any reason to buy a new phone from verizon barring a current promo deal? From what I can tell there's no more credit given even when you're eligible for an upgrade right? So I should just keep an eye out for a deal from anywhere for a new phone?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So, like an idiot (and after years of trash talking screen protectors), I managed to get several superficial scratches on my iPhone 8 Plus’s screen and a single ~2mm long deeper scratch in the screen (i.e. catches on your fingernail). Don’t stow your phone in a jet ski’s compartment without some padding first. :doh:

That said, also like an idiot, I’m finding myself tempted to pick up the iPhone Xs Max in the near future. However, I’m curious if Verizon would basically shut down any early upgrade due to the scratch, or if their definition of ‘significant damage’ is considered more of outright cracks than scratches.

Worst case, if I’m really feeling the upgrade itch, I guess I can get Apple to replace the screen and then exchange it with Verizon, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

So, like an idiot (and after years of trash talking screen protectors), I managed to get several superficial scratches on my iPhone 8 Plus’s screen and a single ~2mm long deeper scratch in the screen (i.e. catches on your fingernail). Don’t stow your phone in a jet ski’s compartment without some padding first. :doh:

That said, also like an idiot, I’m finding myself tempted to pick up the iPhone Xs Max in the near future. However, I’m curious if Verizon would basically shut down any early upgrade due to the scratch, or if their definition of ‘significant damage’ is considered more of outright cracks than scratches.

Worst case, if I’m really feeling the upgrade itch, I guess I can get Apple to replace the screen and then exchange it with Verizon, right?

Unless it’s a legit crack Verizon won’t care, and the sales rep is commissioned based so they’re gonna take your side too.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless it’s a legit crack Verizon won’t care, and the sales rep is commissioned based so they’re gonna take your side too.

Yeah, I guess just trying my luck in person is worth a try.
Think there’d be any more or less scrutiny at a corporate store versus a Cellular Sales one?

e: For reference, it's in the top/center (below the speaker/camera):

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 15, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

Yeah, I guess just trying my luck in person is worth a try.
Think there’d be any more or less scrutiny at a corporate store versus a Cellular Sales one?

e: For reference, it's in the top/center (below the speaker/camera):

I can’t see anyone caring about that. It’s a scratch.

I’m a company employee, so I’ll be biased on saying go to a Corp store.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have never had a *bad* experience at a Corp store, but I've had employees at Cellular Sales/affiliate stores go way above and beyond as far as customer service goes.

That might just be because the store I go to is in a run down strip mall and they want to keep all the customers they can, while the local corporate store is in a huge built up area with tons of traffic, but whatever the reason I get good service.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Corp > affiliate every time IME.

I've never had a Corp store actively try to gently caress me over. Can't say the same for the other.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that you have to get the 256GB XS or XS Max for the BOGO promo.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm not going to recommend an affiliate because Duckman is so helpful here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Thinking of switching to Verizon, but looking at the prepaid options because I really don't use unlimited. At the most, we might use 5GB on my daughter's phone, and I use 2-3GB with my wife using 1-2GB. Hope you don't mind answering a couple of Qs.

1. Is the current 4 lines /$100 a great deal for them or pretty similar to previous options?

2. Does prepaid ever do deals with phones?

3. While I get that postpaid gets the best service, what about their prepaid service? Specifically, I want to ensure that the coverage you would get with postpaid in the boons is the same as you would get with prepaid. I'm not concerned with download speed, I just want my phones to work around my daughter's school where T-Mobile has a huge dead zone currently.

4. I use a T-Mobile booster in my house to get signal. Does Verizon offer the same or the ability to use wi-fi calling?

Thanks!
Keith